How do YOU play Fire Emblem Awakening?

Laurent

How do you play FEA?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Play style? (main file/ most commonly used)

• Casual/Newcomer
    • Classic (if a character dies they stay dead)
    • "Semi-" Classic (soft reset if any character dies)
    • Levels (Casual or Classic, soft reset for any bad level ups)
    • Challenge (give yourself a set of rules by which to play the game, I've seen many of these recently)
  2. 2. Hardest difficulty on which you completed a play-through? (viewed the ending credits)

3. 3. General strategy for each level?

• Aggressive (all out attack with your units)
    • Defensive (bunch all the units together and have the enemies attack)
    • Pair-up (pair all units together, attack, and switch when low on health)
    • Wrecking Crew (a couple of strong units stay in enemy range while the rest look on)
    • Galeforce! (1-2 units with Galeforce kill the boss and end the level as quickly as possible)
    • None of the Above (care to explain?)

I am a shameless Casual player. All the fun challenge without the stupid frustration and pressure in keeping every man alive. I'd never touch Lunatic if it weren't for Casual Mode.

I love the Pair-Up feature, it's truly amazing! It has to stay for FE14, I don't care if it's broken as hell. I guess they can let the enemy Pair-Up too to keep things fair. But I hate playing fair, I aim to win.

My strategy in every Fire Emblem game (unless someone is in Danger) is ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. I am aggresive and merciless, and when added with the magic that is Galeforce, I dominate maps.

I also tend to use characters I like, whether or not they turn out "good". I mean, this game has limitless grinding. It's really silly to not use them, and then declare a character bad.

I played Hard/Classic with resets, but that was too easy, so Lunatic/Classic with resets and grinding.

BTW, grinding needs to be an option somewhere in the poll.

And while I agree that the strategy depends on the mission, that doesn't mean the poll is flawed, just that you may wish to select multiple options.

I play on Classic, but reset whenever someone dies.

I just wouldn't feel right playing it any other way.

Haven't finished the game yet because the fiend called Grinding holds me back.

Generally, I use Pair Up a lot, whereas whether I'll go all-out offensive or have just a few units take the majority of the map depends on the enemy strength relative to the majority of my units'. The maps in this game seem more geared in favor of offensive strategies, anyway, with fewer choke points and oddly erratic enemy placement.

As far as character usage, although this wasn't really a question, I'll generally end up leveling everyone up quite a bit, especially parents-to-be, and marrying off couples ASAP.

Reset if anyone dies (or I have the sinking feeling that they might)

Normal (working on hard atm)

I'm more of a defensive guy, but my strategy might vary depending on the situation (Hey, fishing for mooks has done me a world of good in the past...).

Edited by Levant Fortner

I play a mix of casual and classic. The first time through I played Normal/Casual so that I could get a feel for the game and because frankly, its nice for once in an FE game to not have to worry about permadeath. Major stress reliever. Plus, you get to execute all these cool sacrifice maneuvers that yo would never do in any other FE game and that adds a new spin on strategy.

Now I'm playing classic and while I haven't had any major problems yet, I'm sorta hoping I haven't lost my edge as a classic veteran after all those hours of casual.

My strategy tends to be both the aforementioned situational kamikaze maneuvers and mostly pairing up; I will cry if they ever take it away. Beyond all the stat bonuses you get from it, I feel that it adds a fundamental layer to the support relationships in the game to be able to fight alongside friends and loved ones.

Classic/reset on death, strategy depends on the chapter/map (like I prefer to kill everything in sight in the shortest amount of time but I'm flexible), outside of a few special runs I do not grind during the storyline.

Haven't actually beat it yet 'cuz i don't own a 3ds so I don't get much playtime, but I'm on c20 of hard mode.

I also like physical units a lot better and will not make my MU a pure magic user (I'm cool with hybrids) with the exception of /maybe/ when I play L+ and that's a maybe. Only if I can't get away with Hero this time.

Edited by Thor Odinson

My strategy in every Fire Emblem game (unless someone is in Danger) is ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. I am aggresive and merciless, and when added with the magic that is Galeforce, I dominate maps.

I can see why you can't beat Lunatic.

Anyway, I don't actually have the game yet, but generally for Fire Emblem, I... do what I have to do?

Like, if I have to go offensive, I go offensive; if defensive, then defensive.

Pretty basic tactics, I guess.

You just do what the battle pushes you to do.

Also, I don't really mind characters I don't like dying. (i.e. ugly ones)

But since I like most of the characters in Awakening, I think I'll try keeping them all alive. X3

Oh, and... I don't like Casual at all. Too easy for my taste.

I tried it once in FE12 and didn't like it. Nope, not at all.

So "Classic + anything Hard and up" for me.

And I like magic users better than physical units.

Edited by FranticforFreeFruityFruit

I play Classic but reset whenever a character dies. The guilt would just consume me. I also reset if I get exceptionally RNG screwed. Like, I can deal with a bad level-up every now and then, but too many in a row and NOPE. I'm too OCD for my own good.

I actually played Casual for a bit when I first got the game just because it was a new thing and I wanted to try it out, but it predictably just encouraged me to go all-out offensive on almost every map with little concern for anything else. I prefer Classic because, even if you're playing on Normal, just the fact that you have to be careful and methodical with every move you make is still a challenge in its own right. And "characters dying" is basically what made Fire Emblem famous and a standout among the Turn-Based-Strategy standard, and that's actually something I like and appreciate about the series. I do welcome and applaud the inclusion of Casual, though, because it opened the game up to a wider public and several of my friends who previously disliked the series because of permanent deaths have actually given the game a try and liked it! I couldn't be happier!

Hard Classic is my highest completed difficulty, but I still like Normal for quick "just for fun" playthroughs. if I ever deem myself insane enough to play Lunatic, I will most certainly play it in Casual.

Pair Up was a mega cool function and I loved it in this game, but I don't necessarily want to see it in every game from here on. I think the previous games were just as good without it, but it would still be nice to see future variations of it. I still didn't rely on it too much in my game, though, and usually just used it for support building. I like independent units, and my strategy is best described as a healthy combination of agressiveness and defensiveness. I like rushing in and moving fast, but I'll slow down and regroup if incoming enemies seem too strong or scary!

I always use characters I like unless they have exceptionally bad growths that make them unusable.

Edited by Timid Taguel

Currently got a Hard/Classic game with over 100 hours logged. Still just working on DLC/waiting on Priam, then I'll move on to more and harder playthroughs. Will probably do Normal to fill the support log and Casual at some point for completionism.

Reset if anyone dies (or I have the sinking feeling that they might)

Normal (working on hard atm)

I'm more of a defensive guy, but my strategy might vary depending on the situation (Hey, fishing for mooks has done me a world of good in the past...).

Yeah, like the rest I always reset if someone dies.

But one thing I've learned is never to reset until somebody actually dies. I can't count how many times I have ended a player phase thinking "crap, X is in a horrible position, he/she's going to die" only to watch him/her avoid, tank, or be dual-saved by several near-death encounters and survive to the next turn. If I had reset before, I might have just wasted a shot at winning the level.

More than any other Fire Emblem I have noticed this game gives you a lot of chances to cheat death.

Edited by Chaotix

I've beaten Lunatic (Gods, that was... rough), however I've sank more time into my Normal files than my "Main" (a Hard) file or my Lunatic run.

All of my files are Casual, except for 1. Why? Saves. Doesn't change how I play. I treat the game like FE4 anyways... which has me playing "Classual", which is to say, I use saves, a lot, but I reset if someone dies, (except Jaffarthality, and Streetpass battles).

I do have my own sorta challenge run, the "Planeswalker Run"... of which I'm currently... still on Ch4 (****ING SETH HOLDING ME BACK).

[spoiler= Planeswalker run]

Difficulty: Hard+, Classic.

Limitations:

No Renown

No Despoil/Leif's Blade

No Gold Pack DLC (Except Infinite Regalia, except looting the Chests is not permited...)

No Silver Card

No Shiny Tiles

No Risen Skirmishes

Only Voiced Character Allowed: Chrom, everyone else, BENCH immediately after Ch3.

Allowed:

Spotpass Units

DLC Units

Streetpass Units

I've beaten Lunatic (Gods, that was... rough), however I've sank more time into my Normal files than my "Main" (a Hard) file or my Lunatic run.

All of my files are Casual, except for 1. Why? Saves. Doesn't change how I play. I treat the game like FE4 anyways... which has me playing "Classual", which is to say, I use saves, a lot, but I reset if someone dies, (except Jaffarthality, and Streetpass battles).

I do have my own sorta challenge run, the "Planeswalker Run"... of which I'm currently... still on Ch4 (****ING SETH HOLDING ME BACK).

[spoiler= Planeswalker run]

Difficulty: Hard+, Classic.

Limitations:

No Renown

No Despoil/Leif's Blade

No Gold Pack DLC (Except Infinite Regalia, except looting the Chests is not permited...)

No Silver Card

No Shiny Tiles

No Risen Skirmishes

Only Voiced Character Allowed: Chrom, everyone else, BENCH immediately after Ch3.

Allowed:

Spotpass Units

DLC Units

Streetpass Units

It must be nice only having to reset when Chrom dies. After all, when a Planeswalker runs out of Loyalty Counters, they don't die, so you can just re-recruit them from the-oh wait, you don't have Golden Gaffe allowed, nevermind.

In all seriousness though, that sounds like a fun run, and being so tight on funds means you can only really grind Armsthrifters and Chrom/Pr. Marth/King Marth, because Falchion. Anything else you have to be really careful about using up weapons, right? Or is that not an issue, yet?

By this point in postgame I've kind of transitioned to using an army full of Sorcerers/Sages/Dark Fliers

but it really depends on what I want/need for the map I'm playing

Unless you only play normal or are giving yourself a challenge, most people will check the "Pair Up" option. I don't think it's as much of a form strategy (like the others are) as it is a game mechanic.

Edited by BlueFire

Let's see...

I soft reset when I get bad level ups. I often end up soft resetting 10 times per battle when my characters have maxed everything except Magic and Resistance. I play in Classic.

I'm currently (still) on my 3rd playthrough. Last two plays were Hard and Normal, and I'm currently doing Lunatic. I regret picking Hard at first, because otherwise I'd be playing Lunatic+ right now.

FE13's my favourite video game of all time thus far, and I'm spent about 1000 hours on it. It still is not good enough for me to play the game for more than 2 hours per day, now that it has been a year since release. I'm sure I'd be more interested in the game if I can get a guaranteed stat up when levelling up. IMO, a hypothetical game made by combining certain parts of FE9, FE10 and FE13 would be the best video game ever made.

I play defensively when the enemy line is strong. If they aren't, I'd just tank through them with the help of Galeforce. I do this is all FE games, minus the Galeforce part. My playstyle has backfired in my last unsuccessful FE9 Maniac run, but that doesn't stop me from continuing using it.

But one thing I've learned is never to reset until somebody actually dies. I can't count how many times I have ended a player phase thinking "crap, X is in a horrible position, he/she's going to die" only to watch him/her avoid, tank, or be dual-saved by several near-death encounters and survive to the next turn. If I had reset before, I might have just wasted a shot at winning the level.

More than any other Fire Emblem I have noticed this game gives you a lot of chances to cheat death.

Well, it's true that this game gives you more chances to cheat death, but needless to say, dual guards are anything but reliable, even with an S support.

Edited by Levant Fortner

For a general strategy, I use something that glues all of the above together and adapts on the fly. I kind of meta-game the soft reset because I'll generally be highly aggressive on the first two or three turns when there isn't much to lose if I have to reset. Then I'll switch to taking much more moderate risks, unless my hand is really forced (like, if it's an option, if I feel the rest of my army is about to get overrun, then I might push my best pair far behind enemy lines to attempt that boss kill).

Beaten Hard/Semi-Classic (I reset on death) and now working on Lunatic/Semi-Classic with a no Nosferatu or grinding clause, general strategy I use is usually very defensive mostly due to my paranoia and distrust of the RNG (I practically assume a miss with 80% hit and assume a hit when they have anything higher than 35%) and some nightmare-inducing reinforcements (looking at you Chapter 16, and a whole bunch of the Valm arc really) with Pair-Up backup and some exceptions depending on maps, for example by the end where most maps are boss kills and there's just too many enemies I just attempt a quick rush with a Galeforce flier duo, not sure if this'll work on Lunatic though.

I typically play on Casual for mid-battle saving with the added stipulation that death still means death and I must reset for a death or not use a unit that dies, so semi-Classic would be my style.

I have beaten Lunatic Casual once and am midway through a Lunatic Classic run. I will probably eventually do Lunatic+ Casual, but likely not Classic.

Mostly aggressive; the best defense is a good offense, and a dead enemy can't hurt you. Defensive is only for early maps on Lunatic where it's practically necessary and not my preferred method. Pair Up is almost always used, as the benefits tend to massively outweigh the negatives. I'm not hugely fond of the "wrecking crew" idea as I like to use a lot of units, but on Normal or Hard that tends to be the easiest path to take. I never get Galeforce in time to make good use of it.

I'm playing on lunatic classic. My strategy for the early part was to use everyone I didn't like as meatshields so a bunch of people died. Now im at chapter 16 and the 10 units I'm using are either amazing or pretty okay so I do reset if they die. I pair people up. My amazing units (avatar, sully, Chrom, Sumia, Morgan and Kjelle) kill most of the enemies while my other 4 units stay back and kill reinforcements and weakened guys.

Tons of semi-classics in here; by far that appears to be how most everyone plays. I would have voted for it myself if the "challenge" option didn't exist. I feel like that belongs on its own question, like a "do you use Spotpass/DLC" sort of deal.

Currently got a Hard/Classic game with over 100 hours logged. Still just working on DLC/waiting on Priam, then I'll move on to more and harder playthroughs. Will probably do Normal to fill the support log and Casual at some point for completionism.

Also, what mainly makes me think "Dammit, X is going to die" is either unexpected critical hits or dual attacks allowing kills against enemies that would've survived otherwise, thus allowing for more enemies to attack.