How do YOU play Fire Emblem Awakening?

Laurent

How do you play FEA?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Play style? (main file/ most commonly used)

• Casual/Newcomer
    • Classic (if a character dies they stay dead)
    • "Semi-" Classic (soft reset if any character dies)
    • Levels (Casual or Classic, soft reset for any bad level ups)
    • Challenge (give yourself a set of rules by which to play the game, I've seen many of these recently)
  2. 2. Hardest difficulty on which you completed a play-through? (viewed the ending credits)

3. 3. General strategy for each level?

• Aggressive (all out attack with your units)
    • Defensive (bunch all the units together and have the enemies attack)
    • Pair-up (pair all units together, attack, and switch when low on health)
    • Wrecking Crew (a couple of strong units stay in enemy range while the rest look on)
    • Galeforce! (1-2 units with Galeforce kill the boss and end the level as quickly as possible)
    • None of the Above (care to explain?)

I do Classic/Normal or Classic/Hard with resets ONLY if a character I care about dies. My strategy is pretty simple, I guess: I only bring the characters I need/want, no grinding, split up my crew to divide and conquer the map, aggressive when I'm in range, defensive when I'm not.

I prefer to play as usual, not necessarily speedrunning/LTC'ing, but going at a somewhat fast pace. Just the necessary.

Since I'm on my first run, I grinded a little bit (only the necessary, for my weaker units to hold up). And since I'm on my first run, I started HM. I do plan to play LM and LM+ after this.

I play Lunatic Classic (restart per death) and I generally play real defensive, and take a bunch of turns making sure I am guaranteed to not lose even if I get terrible luck. There really is no point to not just waste a turn and heal Lon'qu from 30 HP to 31 haha.

I also carry only 3-4 amazing units while having the remainder team up with the amazing units, common examples are Lon'qu, MU, Frederick, and Lucina. Also I have 2 healers which generally are Lissa and Libra, although this time around I want to see how good Ricken is at being one.

My strategy tends to be both the aforementioned situational kamikaze maneuvers and mostly pairing up; I will cry if they ever take it away. Beyond all the stat bonuses you get from it, I feel that it adds a fundamental layer to the support relationships in the game to be able to fight alongside friends and loved ones.

Definitely. It's way easier to build up support too, but what the bolded part says.

Unless you only play normal or are giving yourself a challenge, most people will check the "Pair Up" option. I don't think it's as much of a form strategy (like the others are) as it is a game mechanic.

Except I ALWAYS use Pair Up even on Normal mode. If not grinding support levels, it's for primarily the stat bonuses. Although I was resistant to using it at first (or the first half of my first playthrough), but now I'll never go without a Pair Up.... unless I see that the unit can handle things by himself/herself. Granted it does break the game really badly on Normal mode.

Anyway, to the topic: I play Normal/Classic in that I restart if anyone dies. Again, that hardly happens in Normal mode unless it was in the beginning chapters or I did a major mistake. I haven't restarted because of bad level-ups since, perhaps 90% or higher, I get pretty good level ups. I think I might work on Hard mode some day... and possibly Lunatic too. All on Classic. It's not the pressure of fearing a unit to die permanently than my own way of playing FE. I just can't bring myself to select "Casual", though I appreciate the option being there to bring in new players.

I also grind. A lot. Then it gets hard to start another play regardless what mode. Sorta. And like I said already, I ALWAYS use the Pair Up option for both supports and stat bonuses. I'm mostly an aggressive type on the maps, though I was a LOT more careful and more defensive on my very first play. AKA when I didn't pair up. However, for Hard mode and Lunatic, I think I'd play more of a defensive role than anything.

First two are simple. The strategy comes from a combo. Pair up some units, lay out a formation, wait until the enemy is within reasonable stabbing/shooting/blasting distance and then release the hounds. May vary from situation to situation.

Except I ALWAYS use Pair Up even on Normal mode. If not grinding support levels, it's for primarily the stat bonuses. Although I was resistant to using it at first (or the first half of my first playthrough), but now I'll never go without a Pair Up.... unless I see that the unit can handle things by himself/herself. Granted it does break the game really badly on Normal mode.

In my first play-through I played almost the whole game through placing units on adjacent squares because I did not know how useful Pair Up was. Early in the game the stat bonuses are low so I did not see them worth it to lose half of your Player Phase actions. I was used to not pairing and characters still fought together when they were on adjacent tiles.

I think my recent strats are pretty much have Panne and Sully clear out a way for MU

Who has like 10 move and Sol and a bajillion defense and doesn't give a fuck and enemies suicide on her and it's all good

Veteran/Sol OP

Though that one in particular was me trying to finish a chapter in 10 minutes 'cuz I had to go to class and it's my friend's 3ds/game so I don't want to bookmark.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I've beaten Hard/Classic mode so far.

I'm trying to complete Lunatic/Classic without Grinding and what-not...

I usually have a tendency to bait in as much enemies as my units can handle. If the enemies are overwhelming, I'll use defense units to keep them at bay or run. I'll LTC a chapter or two if i just want to get it over with.

Edited by Peppy

Whether I'm aggressive or defensive really depends on what the map is like. I started on lunatic and there are some maps that are straigt up suicide to turtle on (chapter 3 for example), and over all i prefer to keep trying to move forward unless it feels more effective to just let the massive waves of enemies rain down upon me.

My strategy: 1. Skirmish/DLC abuse 2. Obliterate everything in sight. It takes so loooooong on newcomer mode.

Edited by Aethern

Started off with Normal Classic and worked my way up and beat the game on Lunatic+, however I hate that mode. So much resetting, so much BS, so much anger and frustration...

After beating Lunatic+ I just stuck with Hard and Lunatic Classic, both modes give me a challenge in their own way. In Lunatic I usually stick to a few core units, while leveling my weaker units on the side. Hard Mode I level everyone up together, even though that takes longer, lol.

Classic/reset, like most of the rest of us. I've not finished the game yet, although I am in the UK (so I've only had it a week) and had a 10500 word project report due last week.

I play hugely defensively, mostly because I'm paranoid (rightly) that someone's going to die. Even when there isn't a conventional chokepoint I either use a 2 or 3 unit wide blockade, make a mini wall or retreat to lead the enemy's attack. I'm also getting a feel for pair up (slowly) and also when not to pair up.

Hard Casual all day erryday. I dont like putting a lot of stipulations on my playing. I play to have a good time so yeah. Normal is far too easy (even on Classic) so i play Hard mode. Hard Casual is JUST RIGHT. Plus i love not having the stress of losing my guys on a super hard map. (like Rogues and Redeemers or something like that.) And what happens if i get a perfect level up on Henry but Sully ends up toast? I get to keep Henry's Level up. Plus, if im gonna be a total sadist, i can use some guys as bait. /Deeply Horrible Person

So yeah, Casual allows me to be a bit of a jerk if i so choose.

I also tend to Galeforce the hell out of my guys. (the second gen mostly) I also love Breaker skills. I use PairUp like a madwoman. Some maps, it seems actually necessary. I have a small group of wrecking crew and the others mop up. Usually.

Also I like to mount emblem

On my last run everyone in my main combat force other than Morgan (due to bad decision on my part) has a mount by endgame

Should've made Morgan a Paladin so he could mount emblem with his family this will happen next run

On my last run everyone in my main combat force other than Morgan (due to bad decision on my part) has a mount by endgame

Should've made Morgan a Paladin so he could mount emblem with his family this will happen next run

Have fun Lumi

Oh totes. Hence if most of the dudes dont end up as Dread Fighters, they wind up as Dark Knights if i want magic users. Its why i love Shadowgift so much. Mounted dark magic user! Fuck yes. A lot of characters wind up spending a good amount of time as wyvern knights/lords, peg/dark fliers, valkyries, dark knights, etc. I like to move it move it!

Oh totes. Hence if most of the dudes dont end up as Dread Fighters, they wind up as Dark Knights if i want magic users. Its why i love Shadowgift so much. Mounted dark magic user! Fuck yes. A lot of characters wind up spending a good amount of time as wyvern knights/lords, peg/dark fliers, valkyries, dark knights, etc. I like to move it move it!

On that note, I kinda like Acrobat.

So far I've only played on normal mode (I'll move on to the harder difficulties soon, but for now I just want to beat up stuff easily to take off school stress). I've played on both casual and classic, but I always reset if someone dies on classic. I usually go pair-up and send everyone to fight enemy units, but if I keep losing people when trying to be aggressive I go on the defensive. Or, in the case of Brady's chapter, just sent units with Galeforce to clear the map, fast.