Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

This patch is identical to the older patch except it uses Awakening localisations as well as a few other changes. However, this is a dead end.

So the original patch had usage of some of the more modern phrases? I really can't fathom why anyone would put "what's up," "hey," and "yeah" in the script of a game like this... Might just be a personal peeve, but it doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we ever find out the reason why the ending is bugged to hell?

I'd like to see the ending, but the Ending Generator's download link was down, last I checked.

Did we ever find out the reason why the ending is bugged to hell?

I'd like to see the ending, but the Ending Generator's download link was down, last I checked.

The reason that the ending crashes is that leaving conversations untranslated after replacing the font can result in crashes. The reason that the endiing was left untranslated is that it is proceduarlay generated acording to a massive number of variables (notably including your pairings in gen 1 and 2, plus who died in gen 2), and is thus an absolute nightmare to translate, and even more of a nightmare to test. Gharnef was going to attempt it, but was unable to continue due to personal reasons IIRC. IIRC, the nesesairy translation tools are still knocking around hacking resourses somewhere. In fact, someone used them to translate the ending in the vietnamese translation (which is preferable to the original Japanese for ending viewing because the names are all in english for some reason). Also, although the ending generator is down, scripts exist (although the conversation and narrative halves of the ending have different translation scripts in different places, and one or two of the really obscure possibilities are incomplete for the dialog half.) Have a link (which also includes the conversations that occure when a gen 1 character walks into the home castle when there lover is already there.These are replaced by placeholders in the curent translation. The untranslated timeline at the begining is also included): http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14127

Edited by sirmola

The reason that the ending crashes is that leaving conversations untranslated after replacing the font can result in crashes. The reason that the endiing was left untranslated is that it is proceduarlay generated acording to a massive number of variables (notably including your pairings in gen 1 and 2, plus who died in gen 2), and is thus an absolute nightmare to translate, and even more of a nightmare to test. Gharnef was going to attempt it, but was unable to continue due to personal reasons IIRC. IIRC, the nesesairy translation tools are still knocking around hacking resourses somewhere. In fact, someone used them to translate the ending in the vietnamese translation (which is preferable to the original Japanese for ending viewing because the names are all in english for some reason). Also, although the ending generator is down, scripts exist (although the conversation and narrative halves of the ending have different translation scripts in different places, and one or two of the really obscure possibilities are incomplete for the dialog half.) Have a link (which also includes the conversations that occure when a gen 1 character walks into the home castle when there lover is already there.These are replaced by placeholders in the curent translation. The untranslated timeline at the begining is also included): http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14127

Im on the ending now is thier anyway for me to remove the translation patch and be able to see my records?

Edited by spoon98

Just play with an unpatched ROM. Use the same name as your patched one, and the emulator ought to load the relevant save. That will let you bypass.

This is if you hardpatched. If you softpatched, just rename or remove the patch temporarily from the same folder as the ROM.

Just play with an unpatched ROM. Use the same name as your patched one, and the emulator ought to load the relevant save. That will let you bypass.

This is if you hardpatched. If you softpatched, just rename or remove the patch temporarily from the same folder as the ROM.

I have been trying to get other roms but as far as i know all the roms I tried have been automatically patched to English and I tried deleting the ips patch and putting it in. I even tried a turksih one which wound't even load. How do I know if it is hard patched or not?

Im on the ending now is thier anyway for me to remove the translation patch and be able to see my records?

Just open the same save using a fresh rom. You can do this by renaming the translated rom and renaming the fresh rom to the origional translated rom's name. If you are using snes9x, you can give the fresh rom the same name and open it from a different folder to avoid having to rename the translated rom. If you are auto-patching, just rename the translation's ips file.

Just open the same save using a fresh rom. You can do this by renaming the translated rom and renaming the fresh rom to the origional translated rom's name. If you are using snes9x, you can give the fresh rom the same name and open it from a different folder to avoid having to rename the translated rom. If you are auto-patching, just rename the translation's ips file.

I did that and it worked only problem is i had to change my rom name because when ever i have it the old name i had it would stay frozen and not move on

I have been trying to get other roms but as far as i know all the roms I tried have been automatically patched to English and I tried deleting the ips patch and putting it in. I even tried a turksih one which wound't even load. How do I know if it is hard patched or not?

Search for a ROM that has (J) tagged.

I did that and it worked only problem is i had to change my rom name because when ever i have it the old name i had it would stay frozen and not move on

You may witsh to find and use the vietnamese translation to view the ending because that translation uses the english names, so it is a little more comprehensible.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why, but every time I try to patch it, the rom remains in Japanese. Am I suppose to do something besides patching the rom?

No. that should be all yuo need to do if the game is playing well otherwise, it sounds like the patch is either the wrong one or is not being applied. What applicator program are you using? Are you using the patch from this page? also, consider using hotpatching instead ( just give the patch and rom the same file name. see above)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I have a question before downloading the patch (btw, this patch looks great):

Do I have to use snes9x for this patch? I already have zsnes, so would the patch work on there too?

No, ZSNES is fine. In fact, I played the game on ZSNES since SNES9x didn't like my computer.

SNES9x doesn't like my computer either. It's needs d3dx9_38.dll or something like that.

I tried ZSNES and FE:4 isn't working. I patched it, but it said it was a bad ROM for some reason. So I decided to download bsnes, but when I tried to load a game, no ROMs came up for it when it asked which ROM it wanted to open. So what exactly do I do now? Btw, I used Luanr IPS to patch the ROMs. Am I supposed to us a different method?

Edit: I just read that I might need to check if my ROM has a header and SNESTool is a good app for that,. Just downloaded it and my computer doesn't support it. Now what?

Edited by llee1000

DOSBox to the rescue! Download that and drag SNESTool onto the DOSBOX icon. That should run it. Your patch should state if it requires a header or not. If it does, apply the header in SNESTool. Make sure to have the patch the same name as the ROM, eg. FE4.sfc, FE4.ips. (I believe this patch is headered, so yeah.)

DOSBox to the rescue! Download that and drag SNESTool onto the DOSBOX icon. That should run it. Your patch should state if it requires a header or not. If it does, apply the header in SNESTool.

Yay! Going to download that as soon as possible!

Make sure to have the patch the same name as the ROM, eg. FE4.sfc, FE4.ips. (I believe this patch is headered, so yeah.)

<__< >__>

Never knew that. Let me try that first.

Edit: My ROMs aren't headered, time to downloaded DOSBox!

Edited by llee1000

Okay. I just downloaded DOSBox and opened up SNESTool just fine. Now how exactly do I create a header? I see the "Add Header" button, but clicking on it does nothing.

I managed to add a header to my FE:3 and FE:4 ROMs. When opening them up, they still say Bad ROM, but the FE:4 ROM works properly, while the FE:3 ROM crashes after getting to the title screen, but lol, didn't plan on playing FE:3 anyways. A bigger problem I have with FE:4 is that is won't save properly. After watching the long cutscene and going into the chapter, I saved using the in-game menu. When I came back, my save file wasn't there. What is going on!?! I don't think all this trouble is worth to play FE:4.