Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's something that's fine as is.

But if you want my 2 cents, perhaps a middle ground like:

"We. Are. In. Love!"

since it seems like the original japanese line you posted makes it look like Arvis is all excited/raising his voice towards Manfroy(judging by the lines before and after), while the current suggests his tone is more stern/"end of discussion"-like.

If I recall, the more stable patch had issues with dialogue on the very last chapter. Something like the 2nd castle was untranslated I think? Will that get changed?

I don't know if you've seen this, but it might be something worth addressing (if you're gonna take the time to make a patch with a bunch of unnecessary name tweaks, you might as well patch up a translation-induced plot snafu).

Edited by Arch

That's awful. That looks like something I'd read in 4chan/youtube comments, not something I'd want to see in a translation hack.

i'm not even going to defend it - it was just a quick suggestion and hardly something i put much thought into - but seriously, "not something i'd want to see in a translation hack"? have you SEEN what this patch's script is currently like? reminder that this translation hack has Arden speaking normally at first but by the end of it he's the fucking Hulk. even if you personally dislike this particular suggestion, bringing up "something i'd want to see in a translation hack" as a quality benchmark is objectively hilarious

okay, sadly the patch is still not working for me, even through soft-patching. i'm at a loss here; every other iteration of the FE4 patch has worked just fine for me so far and this release uses the exact same creation tools, not to mention nobody else seems to be having this problem. i guess i'll attempt a fresh download of the patch; perhaps that's what went wrong

I don't know if you ever got your problem fixed, but I'm having the exact same thing. My ROM is as clean as I can get it and everything else works fine, but soft patching and hard patching both give me the black screen. I really wanted to test this patch out and I've never had a problem like this before.

Edit: Okay, finally got it to start. Took three ROMs to do it, and I have no idea what the difference between that ROM and the first two was.

Edited by LadyTwi

So. Lightning or just Light? Lightning is used in the GBA games and Light is used in FE9/10. What does the Japanese version say about the Lightning spell and the Light spell from later games?

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that.

FE9's basic Light spell is actually "Light" in Japanese too. FE6-8's basic spell is called "Lightning" and, more importantly, it's "Lightning" in FE4 too.

i'd nonetheless advocate reducing it to "Light", if mostly because "Lightning" is too long to fit as the patch stands (and naming the basic light spell after a phenomenon more related to Thunder was kinda dumb in the first place)

Edited by bookofholsety

I agree with "Light" as well, "Lightning" always seemed kinda silly to me.

Also, aside from some grammatical things from the original patch, there's one thing that should probably be looked at.

33e9.png

All of the skills you've changed still show up with the original names there, as well as on the status screen.

axkg.png

• 4 weeks later...

it sure is quiet around here

i guess what we need is more useless graphics shit nobody asked for or wanted ONE MUTILATED JUGDRAL MAP COMING UP

tumblr_mq4lln6Q0I1qhx4jao1_1280.png

remember when i had a life because i sure don't

i'll readily confess it's rough as hell at the moment, and i'll probably chip away at neatening it up later on, but for now it sure is a thing

tumblr_mq4lln6Q0I1qhx4jao1_1280.png

The map looks incredibly neat, I guess that might fit well for the next version of the patch and also, I see Isaach (on the smaller letters and the location) hasn't got the H added in the map.

Edited by Syaoran

Did Silesia get a name featured in the localization of FE13? I don't recall, but I do know that the localization of FE7 has a name for that country in its soundtest, and that name was definitely not 'Silesse'.

If FE13 did feature a localized name, and so did FE7, how did you choose one name over the other, without the choice being an arbitrary one?

Yep, it's been quiet here. The only nitpick I have is that the fonts don't match but that'sa tiny nitpick anyway.

actually that's the exact same font across the entire thing - i just copypasted letters from the original map to make my adjustments

wait no that's not entirely true - for some reason the Verdane lettering differs from all the other countries, and the V transplanted into "Grannvale" comes from there; actually that part really bugged me even at the time. i may go back and fix it up later

Did Silesia get a name featured in the localization of FE13? I don't recall, but I do know that the localization of FE7 has a name for that country in its soundtest, and that name was definitely not 'Silesse'.

If FE13 did feature a localized name, and so did FE7, how did you choose one name over the other, without the choice being an arbitrary one?

FE13 calls it "Silesse" (in both the StreetPass card location options and in Fee describing her mother in LB3). the rest of the patch has already been amended to call it Silesse. none of this is news as far as this thread is concerned

as for why we've* gone with it over "Silezha", it's the same reason Seliph is now Seliph instead of Serlis or Sigurd is Sigurd instead of Zigludo - yes, they called it by one name in the past, at a point where they most likely had zero context for the name, but they've revised the translation in a more recent work to give it a new name, and possibly now at least have some vague idea of FE4's nature, so the old name has been overwritten. of course if they ever do anything with FE4 properly or if cameos concerning it show up in any future games, they could change it again, but we can cross that bridge when/if it actually happens (or do nothing in the case of the former, since by definition we won't have to do anything with an official release around)

i can see where you're coming from and my justification is pretty flimsy, but let's face it nobody ever cared about the Silezha name in the first place so ignoring it really isn't a big deal

basically it's the same reason FF material doesn't call the girl Aeris anymore, except not really since Aeris was part of a legit full appearance in an actual English release and as the publishers there squeenix's worries are different to those of fan translators wow you can see the comparison crumbling in my hands

*for a certain value of "we" given that i'm little more than some asshole heckling from the sidelines rather than someone constructively working on the damn thing

The map looks incredibly neat, I guess that might fit well for the next version of the patch and also, I see Isaach (on the smaller letters and the location) hasn't got the H added in the map.

whoops thought i'd end up forgetting something

Edited by bookofholsety

Correct me if I'm wrong but there never seems to have been a push to rename Silessia to Silezha even though it's been known for a while.

As for why Silesse is used, why not? Is there any good reason to not use the most latest official translation?

Would anyone be so kind as to download the patch from that link and post the link here from, say, preferably dropbox or something? Maybe even puush? It's blocked in my area and I kinda wanna try this out finally.

Edit: Referring to this link. Silly link blockings.

http://diablo3gemcalculator.com/fe4/fe4.ips

Edited by ManriKlok

• 1 month later...

Would anyone be so kind as to download the patch from that link and post the link here from, say, preferably dropbox or something? Maybe even puush? It's blocked in my area and I kinda wanna try this out finally.

Edit: Referring to this link. Silly link blockings.

http://diablo3gemcalculator.com/fe4/fe4.ips

I can't download it as well. Please put the file on some sort of file sharing website.