Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

Mild nitpick: adjectival for Singapore is Singaporean.

The unit screen, are you going to do anything about those Japanese characters? Not that it isn't obvious which stat is which, in the header, but still. Ditto the item screen.

I know the unit screen headers are actually simple graphics, or at least they're editable as such, because I went into my patch and rewrote Skl to be in Chinese. Yeah.

Edited by Kiriane

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a note, if you guys haven't noticed... the localized names in FE13 were localized without any context. That'd make sense for "Valflame" vs. "Fala"... "Forseti" vs. "Ced", etc.

Just as a note, if you guys haven't noticed... the localized names in FE13 were localized without any context. That'd make sense for "Valflame" vs. "Fala"... "Forseti" vs. "Ced", etc.

Well, in fairness, there's no English name that gets especially close to the effect of 'Seti' or 'Sety'. The closest thing to it would be 'Setty', which is a form of a rather obscure Indian surname - and while surnames are very much used, they don't seem to be preferred (Arvis vs. Alvis).

The best they could have hoped for would be 'Seth' or 'Set'. The former is obviously already taken by another broken character, and the latter is a name that's arguably too similar to the first to where they might've avoided it just to keep them from looking alike (which would be my wild-mass-guess as to why they went with Malice over Maris (with Marisa), Severa over Serena (with Selena), and Seliph over Celice/Celes (with Celica.))

Ced, even if it's probably by far the least popular name change they've done since Shadow Dragon released and maybe even then, does at least have a vague auditory resemblance to the latter half of Forseti... just, uh, not one at all with letters.

Well, in fairness, there's no English name that gets especially close to the effect of 'Seti' or 'Sety'. The closest thing to it would be 'Setty', which is a form of a rather obscure Indian surname - and while surnames are very much used, they don't seem to be preferred (Arvis vs. Alvis).

The best they could have hoped for would be 'Seth' or 'Set'. The former is obviously already taken by another broken character, and the latter is a name that's arguably too similar to the first to where they might've avoided it just to keep them from looking alike (which would be my wild-mass-guess as to why they went with Malice over Maris (with Marisa), Severa over Serena (with Selena), and Seliph over Celice/Celes (with Celica.))

Ced, even if it's probably by far the least popular name change they've done since Shadow Dragon released and maybe even then, does at least have a vague auditory resemblance to the latter half of Forseti... just, uh, not one at all with letters.

I'm inclined to think that that's not the case, since it didn't stop them from doing Arthur/Artur, which is pretty much the exact same as the difference between Seth and Set. The difference being that Ced's original name was clearly a reference to something in particular, whereas Arthur/Artur is just that way for no apparent reason (Artur's name was completely different in Japanese, so it was purely a localization decision).

While it's probably wise to just go with the official localization for the sake of consistency, it's pretty clear that they missed some important context while translating his name and that it was likely a mistake.

I'm inclined to think that that's not the case, since it didn't stop them from doing Arthur/Artur, which is pretty much the exact same as the difference between Seth and Set. The difference being that Ced's original name was clearly a reference to something in particular, whereas Arthur/Artur is just that way for no apparent reason (Artur's name was completely different in Japanese, so it was purely a localization decision).

While it's probably wise to just go with the official localization for the sake of consistency, it's pretty clear that they missed some important context while translating his name and that it was likely a mistake.

Except Artur wasn't in Awakening.

Malice, Maris, Seth, Ced, Severa, Selena, Seliph, and Celica all were; thus, there would be two units with similar names in the same game without alteration.

Edited by Iridium

Armorslayer (Or Hammer/Heavy Spear) -> Horseslayer (Or Halberd/Zanbato/Longsword) -> Wingslayer.

I definitely think Wingslayer fits with the established slayer names much more than Clipper does. Clipper sounds really lame.

wing clipper sounds like something you would use to trim feathers

For pretty much this reason.

Awesome discussion so far - thanks guys and gals. Too tired to quote all but I did read everything. Some thoughts:

The changes I've made in that patch were simple find/replacements on the most glaring things. There are some that would give me trouble to do a blind replacement on -> Fin to Finn. You regex geeks understand why :) If you're not a regex geek, if I do a blind replacement of Fin -> Finn multiple times on the same file, you'll end up with Finnnnnnnn, haha. Isaac -> Isaach would do the same thing. EDIT Also it would kill words like "Finally". So stuff that will take more brainpower will end up being likely last on the change list.

• Fury -> Ferry. So lame but I gotta do it. "Ferry Squad?" Sigh.
  • RE: Map names - good question, something I thought of when I decided to do this project but is unlikely to come to fruition. I actually spent time trying to get at the image data for the map (as well as the Holy Blood chart) and couldn't really figure it out. If anyone knows about background images buried in the rom, let's talk.
  • Not mentioned here (I think?) there are a few places the "mark" of the royal bloodline is discussed, I'm going to change it to the brand somehow.
  • Deadlords are on the list, thanks for mentioning it.
  • Good catch on FFlame - changing to Valflame.
  • Tor Hammer -> Mjolnir in conversations
  • Also looking back @ my code the "Swanchik" as it's called as an item probably isn't changed properly, will fix.
  • I'll look for the Ira usage. In my playthrough I missed the Brave Sword (noob, I know) so I didn't see that convo.
  • Grannvaleians - lol, yeah we'll have to do something about that. Awesome catch.
  • Thunder Sword is good since as someone pointed out, it casts the Thunder spell.

I'm gonna do a little more work now.

Edited by Gharnef

Grannvaleian... looking @ wiki for demonyms, possible representations of Grannvale denizens (some are for the luls):

Grannvalian

Grannvalenian

Grannvalinite

Grannvalenisian

Grannvaler (as a New Englander, I personally like this one)

Awesome discussion so far - thanks guys and gals. Too tired to quote all but I did read everything. Some thoughts:

The changes I've made in that patch were simple find/replacements on the most glaring things. There are some that would give me trouble to do a blind replacement on -> Fin to Finn. You regex geeks understand why :) If you're not a regex geek, if I do a blind replacement of Fin -> Finn multiple times on the same file, you'll end up with Finnnnnnnn, haha. Isaac -> Isaach would do the same thing. EDIT Also it would kill words like "Finally". So stuff that will take more brainpower will end up being likely last on the change list.

i'm no expert, but would it perhaps be possible to get around this by searching for the current name followed by punctuation? for example, rather than just replacing "Fin" raw, search for instances of "Fin " (followed with a space), "Fin." and "Fin," and replace all those with "Finn ", "Finn." and "Finn,"? that way, you don't mess with words containing "fin" and don't end up with "Finnnn". the same would go for Isaac -> Isaach

Grannvaleian... looking @ wiki for demonyms, possible representations of Grannvale denizens (some are for the luls):

Grannvalian

Grannvalenian

Grannvalinite

Grannvalenisian

Grannvaler (as a New Englander, I personally like this one)

i never had a problem with "Grannvalian" or "Grannvalean", but if it has to be changed i do like "Grannvaler"

also all this talk about the magic sword name endings is pretty immaterial - as the patch stands, there's no room for anything past just the first word in its name and there's no point worrying about whether it should be Sword or Brand or Edge :P

you still have to choose the full name of those magic swords since the full name will appear in the dialog box when you get the item after killing enemy or when it is broken. Edited by hanhnn

The changes I've made in that patch were simple find/replacements on the most glaring things. There are some that would give me trouble to do a blind replacement on -> Fin to Finn. You regex geeks understand why :)

i swear to god that C's regex has some kind of "not this char" thing (like Fin[!n] or something so you don't turn Finn into Finnn)

I'm a bit miffed how Sety (Ced) is dealt with, because I feel like Levin named his kid after the dragon for a pretty good reason, and I like the obvious connection between the kid and history. Which is basically completely not there at all with his new name. (The other name changes I'm opposed to are pretty much purely based on "I liked it better the old way", so yeah.)

Oh well, done whining. Your CIA Factbook is wrong and I'm going to go with the way it's done in the country in question.

I'm in favour of Grannvaler.

Regarding map names: Do you mean the chapter names? The ones that can be found by looking for the script on this site? Otherwise, what map names are we talking about?

Well, Granvaler is OK.

Wait.. Is it Granvale or Granvalle ? Because if it's Granvalle, it should be Granvaller.

it's "Grannvale" - two Ns, one L

I'm a bit miffed how Sety (Ced) is dealt with, because I feel like Levin named his kid after the dragon for a pretty good reason, and I like the obvious connection between the kid and history. Which is basically completely not there at all with his new name. (The other name changes I'm opposed to are pretty much purely based on "I liked it better the old way", so yeah.)

Oh well, done whining. Your CIA Factbook is wrong and I'm going to go with the way it's done in the country in question.

actually, speaking in terms of the Japanese version, Sety wouldn't have been named for Holsety - rather, he was named for the Crusader who founded Silesia and underwent blood rites with Holsety, also named Sety. it's never addressed if the crusader Sety was originally named that or if renamed himself after the dragon or something; while there's an obvious link in their names, from an in-universe perspective who knows what relation there is? which is good considering it's trivial as hell and really doesn't matter

as far as the English names are concerned, Ced would likely still be named after the Crusader; given them sharing their names in Japanese was a clear deliberate choice, it's certainly very reasonable that the Crusader could also be called Ced in the English context. i for one would be in support of that approach to the matter (insofar as crusader!ced's single mention in the entire script of the game)

2S12X.png

Similar to the Grannvaleian thing, Silessen definitely looks weird. Although, changing it to Silessian would be hilariously close to undoing the translation, so I'm not sure if you'd want to change it to that.

I guess Mistoltn would become Mysteltn

I'm partial to Grannvali because it sounds as nice as Jugdrali does. When you put it in context "I don't want any of them Grannvalers gettin' over here!" looks as out of place as Grannvaleian does, imo.

Although, Grannvalers saves you the trouble of editing the text, since you'd just change the instances of "ian" to "rs" instead of having to make it "Grannvali," so it's probably the better option.

Edited by PKLucas531

Not addressing all comments directly but have seen them all. Thanks for your continued testing and input. I've got the regex stuff under control, was just illustrating why some things take a fraction of a second to change for all occurrences and why others are a little more tricky.

"Map names" - the image of the world map has names printed on it. Unfortunately, I don't immediately know how to change the text on a static image. That's going to require finding the image in the ROM file, uncompressing, editing, recompressing and patching it back in. I'm focusing on text in the script for now.

Similar to the Grannvaleian thing, Silessen definitely looks weird. Although, changing it to Silessian would be hilariously close to undoing the translation, so I'm not sure if you'd want to change it to that.

Good find... Though lollish, I think Silessian is technically probably right. From the demonym wiki page, there's actually a places called Hesse listed:

Hesse → Hessian

So I'm going to roll with Silessian.

now if we were to really nitpick i'd talk about doing something about "Noish"; that's always really irked me. i think an earlier guidebook rendered his name as "Noische" instead? it strikes me as a viable alternative

How about Noyce, like Joyce? IIRC, I've seen it like that some places, and it doesn't seem too bad. Hell, you could just say fuck it to accuracy and name him Joyce, though that's more of a last name. Or Joy and make him a girl.

RE: Adjectival/demonym of Grannvale

It's a really awkward name to work with. As far as I can tell, there is no real-world country that has a really similar name, which makes this even more annoying.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of different ways of creating an adjectival: add a syllable/sound (Croatia becomes Croatian), replace the last syllable (Sweden becomes Swedish), remove the last syllable or sound (Slovakia becomes Slovak), alter the word in several places (France becomes French), or leave it the same (Singapore remains Singapore).

Demonyms are most of the time just the plural form of the adjectival (people from Cambodia are Cambodians), but some use different methodology (people from the previously mentioned Singapore are Singaporeans).

Now as I said, Grannvale is kind of hard to work with, and most of the standard methods don't appear to work, as people have already said that 'Grannvalian' sounds pretty bad (and I would have to agree). You could try just 'Grann' and 'Granns' as your adjectival and demonym, though I still think that sounds a bit awkward. Someone suggest 'Grannvali' to match Jugdrali, and that could work too. You could also cut out the -ale syllable entirely and try again - instead of 'Grannvalian' use 'Grannvian', for example. You could also just fudge it and make something up. 'Grannvaen', maybe?

Just some thoughts.

Going off Croatian, how about Grannvalen? Plural would be Grannvalens, though that does sound weirdly close to grand villains, which would be ironic. That said, I still like Grannvali a lot. Plus you wouldn't need a plural in that case; Grannvalis sounds ridiculously awkward.

Edited by bottlegnomes

How about Noyce, like Joyce? IIRC, I've seen it like that some places, and it doesn't seem too bad. Hell, you could just say fuck it to accuracy and name him Joyce, though that's more of a last name. Or Joy and make him a girl.

a feasible option, sure, but i find it just a tad amusing because "Noyce" is the FE10 character Nolan's Japanese name :P

that said, sadly I have to report that the latest release of the patch does not work. every time i attempt to boot it, it proceeds no further than what would normally be the Nintendo logo splash screen, but instead looks like this:

3o3R1oP.png

attempts to load savestates are met with the game crashing

my primary emulator is snes9x, but i've tested the patched ROM in ZSNES and gotten the same errors. it wouldn't surprise me if i inadvertently did something wrong along the way, but i'm confident i patched it properly so...

oh well

a feasible option, sure, but i find it just a tad amusing because "Noyce" is the FE10 character Nolan's Japanese name :P

I'll be. You're right. That's probably where I saw it before. Can't believe I forgot about that.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I'd probably have just changed it to Nash, but that's mostly because I have absolutely no idea what the hell 'Noish' comes from and no matter how many silent letters you throw in to prettify it (e.g. Noishe, Noische) it still looks rather weird for something as simple as a starter cavalier.