FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Ah, sorry. I thought I at least knew hiragana and katakana, but uh... guess I've still got some work to do even in that department. ...Dammit Japanese, why do you hate me...?

Anyway, my point was, the names are up to you! It's not worth complaining about, since there's no answer that'll make everyone happy. ...No, really, I swear that's what I was going for. Don't look at me like that!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this had been brought up before, but I'm curious about Narcian's battle dialogue in this patch. In earlier patches (or at least one I had used prior to this one), he mentions something to the effect of "I am strong. I am wise. I am lovely. And most importantly, I am right! ...Me! No one else!" However, in the newest patch, he says, "I am strong... I am brilliant...I am beautiful... and I am true...I am all these things and more! I can be matched by no one!" The issue I have with this is that, in Awakening, where a good number of localized names are coming from, he says the former quote in Rogues and Redeemers 3. I'm therefore curious as to why it was changed. Not trying to be rude, this update to the patch is awesome, just making a note.

Edited by BlueSS1

Ah, I remember that quote. It used to be (I think) "I am strong, I am wise, I am handsome, and I am right! Always! More than anybody!" Your version is the one that Awakening used. I loved that quote back when I first played FE6, so I immediately caught it.

Sorry if this had been brought up before, but I'm curious about Narcian's battle dialogue in this patch. In earlier patches (or at least one I had used prior to this one), he mentions something to the effect of "I am strong. I am wise. I am lovely. And most importantly, I am right! ...Me! No one else!" However, in the newest patch, he says, "I am strong... I am brilliant...I am beautiful... and I am true...I am all these things and more! I can be matched by no one!" The issue I have with this is that, in Awakening, where a good number of localized names are coming from, he says the former quote in Rogues and Redeemers 3. I'm therefore curious as to why it was changed. Not trying to be rude, this update to the patch is awesome, just making a note.

lines of dialogue really can't be equated to names in terms of OFFICIAL THINGS that must be matched. the fe7-11 legacy characters spouted lines similar to those they said in their origin games, but they weren't an exact match either

i think a while back we talked about this one narcian in particular, and the consensus was basically that it's a cute little nod to put into the script if it doesn't get in the way (hell i've done it once or twice in fe4), but we shouldn't bend over backwards for them, especially if they're inferior (like i for one personally don't care for the fe13 version's "Me! No one else!" ending; the old translation's "Always! More than anybody" was a lot punchier)

What bookofholsety said, basically. Still, it's worth another look. I'll consider changing it from it's current form.

And the FE6 Manga Translation has yet another version.

But the new one is also really great. It's more.. "well written", less "familiar" if that makes sense.

Anyway, that's still an amazing line.

I should definitely try to replay now that we have a better translation.

It's hard to change someone's first impression, because we tend to favorize the first version we heard, no matter how correct it can be (Exxacus, anyone ?).

It's hard to change someone's first impression, because we tend to favorize the first version we heard, no matter how correct it can be (Exxacus, anyone ?).

clearly you can't be favouritising it that much since it was actually spelled "exaccus" :P

I'd like to get the script part of the game as close to finished as possible, so for the next version I'll be reading through most or all of the game's script and making corrections and revisions.

There are a couple of name changes I was considering and I was curious what people think.

Jodel -> Joder or Yoder

The name Joder or Yoder has a lot of justification as a name for a religious man I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoder

Mildain -> Myrddin

The Japanese rendering is clearly a mythological reference to Myrddin. I guess this one's kind of a no-brainer, really, but I never got around to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrddin

Mildain -> Myrddin

The Japanese rendering is clearly a mythological reference to Myrddin. I guess this one's kind of a no-brainer, really, but I never got around to it.

actually i've been meaning to bring this one up for a while but never got around to it/you weren't around. a while back i had a chat with amielleon (the person behind translating those fe13 comics and this blog), who pointed that one out as something in need of correction, among a few other script things. i guess this saves me a bit of time huh

I'd like to get the script part of the game as close to finished as possible, so for the next version I'll be reading through most or all of the game's script and making corrections and revisions.

There are a couple of name changes I was considering and I was curious what people think.

Jodel -> Joder or Yoder

The name Joder or Yoder has a lot of justification as a name for a religious man I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoder

Mildain -> Myrddin

Joder/Yoder is better aurally, IMO.

Mildain sounds more like a country name than Myrddin, but that's probably because of the name association. Elphin is a double Welsh reference anyway so you may as well.

I guess another question is whether Joder or Yoder is a better name. Flimsy reasoning perhaps, but there are already a number of characters that start with J and not many (none?) that start with Y so I'm leaning towards Yoder. >_>

clearly you can't be favouritising it that much since it was actually spelled "exaccus" :P

Woops.

Well... it's such a long time since I played this game...

I guess another question is whether Joder or Yoder is a better name. Flimsy reasoning perhaps, but there are already a number of characters that start with J and not many (none?) that start with Y so I'm leaning towards Yoder. >_>

They're pronounced the same anyway...

I'd prefer Joder, because Yoder remind me too much of Yoda.

And it seems just... I don't now, more proper. (Maybe because of Yurius/Yuria...)

Apparently, "joder" means "fuck" in Spain.

As far as i can tell "yoder: does not have a non-name meaning, which probably makes it better for the same reason that "jerrot" was the better name then "zellot"(we do not want to confuse spanish players). I recognize that this is not a very strong reason, but the choices are very simmaler otherwise, so i personally think that it tips the scales. (also, "joder" means "to blow" to any speaker of spanish, and giving that name to a priest adds a level of social commentary that would be both unintended and inappropriate in context.) Granted, yoder is pronounced the same, but at least we aren't actually using the word.

WTF, Yoder sounds nothing like the katana. It would be more like Yodaa. Not every name needs to have some symbolic or historic meaning behind it.

Edited by bartre

WTF, Yoder sounds nothing like the katana. It would be more like Yodaa. Not every name needs to have some symbolic or historic meaning behind it.

I don't claim to be an authority on this, but if I recall correctly an extended vowel(this may or may not be exclusive to the "aaa" sound) can kinda like "imply" an r, which is why you see Naga occasionally called Narga. And "Rutogaa" turns into Rutger.

Edited by L95

I don't claim to be an authority on this, but if I recall correctly an extended vowel(this may or may not be exclusive to the "aaa" sound) can kinda like "imply" an r, which is why you see Naga occasionally called Narga. And "Rutogaa" turns into Rutger.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Yodel's katakana is Yooderu. Yoder would not be Yooderu, but rather Yoodaa.

jodel.png

Edited by bartre

No, with names that don't originate from English, eru is often used for the "er" sound. Trust me, I wouldn't use a name that I believed to contradict the Japanese.

I am not sure about changing Jodel to something else for this version of the patch? (but, I'm kinda fine with Jodel), but there is a name called Jodel existed.

Edited by King Marth 64