FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Wow, ever improving eh? Will a new clean ROM patched with the new set of patches be compatible with my save from .97? I would rather not redo the 6 chapters I've already made it through just yet, that chapter in laus is brutal.

I have some questions, just wondering why you did some changes

A lot of the chapters had name swaps from the previously used Names such as

Late Arrival -> Latecomer's Sorrow

Rebellion in Ostia -> the Ostian rebellion

Collapse of the Alliance -> Fall of the league

Same with character names, It appears you used the Awakening names over the Original, some of which seem odd when spoken or viewed

Ellen -> Elen

Diek -> Deke.

Thany -> Shanna

I'd assume Idoun was made Idenn (IMO the worst of the Awakening Names)

So yeah, not asking you to do anything, Just curious what prompted this.

I'm also wondering, I saw in a recent post a mention of the old patch, did you use the old one as a base? I wouldn't of guessed that considering it's pretty much a complete redo.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gringe, another few things you might want to fix are the carelessness of some maps, tile changes and unit positioning. For example in chapter 8, when Lilina's prison door is opened, the floor shading does not change, and in chapter 18A one of the possible unit positions is on a cliff. If you want a list of other examples I've found feel free to PM me :)

Also something else that seems slightly odd is when the map theme keeps playing in chapter 5 after you've seized the castle, although this may have been intentional :V

Edited by Haku

Gringe, another few things you might want to fix are the carelessness of some maps, tile changes and unit positioning. For example in chapter 8, when Lilina's prison door is opened, the floor shading does not change, and in chapter 18A one of the possible unit positions is on a cliff. If you want a list of other examples I've found feel free to PM me :)

Also something else that seems slightly odd is when the map theme keeps playing in chapter 5 after you've seized the castle, although this may have been intentional :V

This is just a translation patch, not a gameplay patch. If you want to change the maps and events, you'll have to do it yourself.

I happened to remember it, would fixing this glitch be on the cards? It's a minor thing, but I'd figure I'd point it out since we're on a hacking spree, apparently lol

Oh, Idoun was mentioned in Awakening? Where?

Edited by L95

I happened to remember it, would fixing this glitch be on the cards? It's a minor thing, but I'd figure I'd point it out since we're on a hacking spree, apparently lol

Oh, Idoun was mentioned in Awakening? Where?

My bad, I thought she was in the Spotpass but I checked, I believe Idenn actually comes from Super Smash Brothers, not Awakening. Regardless, I like Idoun better but whatever. As long as I can keep my save file through each version of the patch, else I think I'd best wait for the final one. Already this one seems better than the original though. I always hated "Social Knight" Even though that's used in all Fan translations I've played till now (2,3,4,5,6 (old)) Well, it wasn't used in the FE12 Patch but that used Shadow Dragon as a basis just as this uses 7.

The updated Genealogy patch (the one with Celice changed to Serlis) changed social knights to cavaliers and i'm pretty sure Thracia patch used cavaliers aswell (not sure because patch is total shit)

Anyone know of any good UPS patchers for mac? I tried multipatch, but it didn't work for some reason.

If you can install Mono Runtime then NUPS should work. It's what I use on Linux.

Edited by shinpichu

I successfully exported/imported a new world map using GBage. You have to set these properties:

• In windows control panel
    • Offset: 2C8874 (offset for the world map, compressed)
    • Compressed graphics: checked
    • Size: Width: 30, Height: 20 (this is the important part, bitmap graphics are 240x160 pixels (or 30x20 tiles of 8x8 pixels)
  • In Palette control panel
    • Offset: 900000
    • Grpahics mode: Indexed bitmap checked (also important, this tells GBage that this is a bitmap graphic, not a tiled one)

Before doing this though, I had to copy the uncompressed palette at offset $900000 in the ROM file (it's an unused location). The original compressed palette is at $2D1BA0, but for some reason, when I use this offset, GBage's "compressed palette" checkbox stays grayed out.

With the uncompressed palette in place + those properties above, you can export a perfect copy of the world map in a 256 colors PNG file. Edit this PNG file with your graphics program of your choice. Then reimport with GBage.

I attached a zip file to this message with following files inside:

• The UPS file: This patches v0.98 of the translation patch. With this, you will see my new version of the Elibe world map.
  • Old Elibe WorldMap Palette memdump.rom: This is the uncompressed palette used by the world map. If you want GBage to correctly export the original Elibe world map, put this in the ROM file in an unused place (like offset $900000). In GBage, you can now point the palette to this offset.

Haven't been able to respond until now, but wow! There's one more instance of the world map in the game zoomed in and you can see "Ereb" in big letters. Can you find where this one is located, too? I'll do the Link Arena and get this world map done and we'll be more or less set for 0.99! Want to do some last minute checking here and there before the big 1.0.

A lot of the chapters had name swaps from the previously used Names such as

Late Arrival -> Latecomer's Sorrow

Rebellion in Ostia -> the Ostian rebellion

Collapse of the Alliance -> Fall of the league

Same with character names, It appears you used the Awakening names over the Original, some of which seem odd when spoken or viewed

Ellen -> Elen

Diek -> Deke.

Thany -> Shanna

So yeah, not asking you to do anything, Just curious what prompted this.

I've had no problems with updating the patch to an in-progress save file of an earlier version of the patch (except for Hugh bought at the lowest possible price, whose stats went crazy).

As for names, dondon already said most of it, but Awakening names are considered official, and we've basically disregarded the old spellings, many of which were questionable in origin (Oujay is a good example) in favor of names that are mythologically accurate or look nicer. Elen is a Welsh saint and I considered "Dieck" to be an incredibly ugly rendering, so it was changed to Deke. "Idoun" was changed to the mythologically accurate "Idun." There's a reason for all the name changes I made so if you're curious I can explain them for you.

I'm OK with fixing glitches and issues present in the original game, but I probably won't be able to do it myself. :P

Awakening doesn't have any character name differences between the EU and US versions, I think? (aside from characters that have previously had name differences, like the Shadow Dragon character set. I also know the xenologues are called something different, and there are some script revisions here and there, but no actual character name differences)

Edited by L95

next time you try to play the "pal vs ntsc names" card, i'd strongly recommend doing the research to see if there actually ARE any differences between them. when it comes to the fe6 legacy stuff in fe13, there isn't any difference. at all. all of the japan-only legacy characters have the exact same names in both versions, and none of the other european translations changed anything there either

the differences between pal!fe13 and ntsc!fe13 are very minute in general; off the top of my head only three lines of dialogue in the entire game, two of which exist only in dlc*, were changed between the versions, and only things like the ephraim's pike weapon name and three gameplay terms were otherwise altered. hell, the closest thing fire emblem has ever really known to a significant difference between pal and ntsc english translations is that pal!fe7 cut out the extended epilogue

*these being boss!lucina's death quote in chapter 4, tharja and nowi's boingy-bits dlc conversation, and nah talking about the dragonstone+ with kjelle in hot spring scramble

Edited by bookofholsety

It's not "playing" any card, but bringing up an actual point of interest. Thinking in such terms is extremely small-sighted and petty, and uncharitable.

Twilkitri had already said his translation would be amended with whatever localization the AU region would get in their release, and I was wondering what version this project would align itself with.

Awakening doesn't have any character name differences between the EU and US versions, I think? (aside from characters that have previously had name differences, like the Shadow Dragon character set. I also know the xenologues are called something different, and there are some script revisions here and there, but no actual character name differences)

Good to know. Do you know if 8-4 handled the EU version of the game as well as the NA? That might account for why localization was so similar this time around compared to the last few Intelligent System localizations.

Edited by Celice

Haven't been able to respond until now, but wow! There's one more instance of the world map in the game zoomed in and you can see "Ereb" in big letters. Can you find where this one is located, too? I'll do the Link Arena and get this world map done and we'll be more or less set for 0.99! Want to do some last minute checking here and there before the big 1.0.

And it's done! Here's the patch that includes both bitmaps (for vanilla v0.98). I've also been working on the messages bugs (extra space with animations on, using "got [item]" instead of "item has been obtained", Adding an "A/An" before the item.) So far, it's looking pretty good. The only thing that's left to do is spacing the item icon correctly from its name. I believe there's a space between both in FE7. Oh, I also want to do some thorough testing, since I've changed a lot of things to do this hack! Anyway, this shouldn't take too long to finish. I will have another patch ready probably this weekend. If you have any savegame/savestates where there's an enemy thief about to steal a chest or something from you, I would really like to have it, it would help me a lot!

For those interested in editing the world map bitmaps, there's 5 of them in the game. One zoomed out and 4 zoomed in for each corners (NW, NE, SW, SE). Here's the offsets for each:

$082AADA4: Elibe world map bitmap (NW, zoomed in)

$082B2380: Elibe world map bitmap (NE, zoomed in)

$082B9E64: Elibe world map bitmap (SW, zoomed in)

$082C1224: Elibe world map bitmap (SE, zoomed in)

$082C8874: Elibe world map bitmap (global, zoomed out)

There's 2 256-clrs palettes. One for the zoomed out map, and one for all the zoomed in ones (they use the same palette)

$082D1964: Elibe world map palette (all, zoomed in)

$082D1BA0: Elibe world map palette (global, zoomed out)

These 7 offsets all contain LZ77 compressed data. You can use GBage to edit any of these bitmaps in the same manner I explained in my previous post. I included, in the attached file, the 2 uncompressed palettes if you need them to export the bitmaps out of GBage (with correct colors). Again, see my previous post for the procedure on how to do this.

UPS patch.zip

Edited by tabachanker

thanks for all that! i tried to get to work dumping the northwest zoomed map because i can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere else, but alas, the world map has foiled me yet again. i can't figure out the palette issue or how i'm supposed to implement the .rom files. is it possible that you, or someone else who knows what they're doing, could export a copy for me and i'll provide the edited version to be implemented as soon as i can? sorry about this, but i'm kind of out of my depth here

And whose version of Awakening naming is going to be kosher? EU and NA often differ in their naming conventions for the series.

There are no differences I'm aware of for the time being, but if it ever comes down to it, North American names will take priority. If anyone doesn't like it, I'm still perfectly OK with anyone editing the patch so I don't mind someone making a "European version" or something if they want to. It looks like the patch will be basically at the final version before long. :>

tabachanker: Cool! That's great you're making progress on the messages, too.

Here's a savestate with a couple enemy thieves who can pilfer a chest if you let them be. I have about a million savestates so if you need any others feel free to ask. :P

https://www.mediafire.com/?q33inl4fpo66mew

Grammar Nazi reporting in!

[Fae-Sophia C support] Sophia says "you... grow even slower than I..."

It should be "even more slowly." It was more noticeable than usual because she says "I grow more slowly" right before.

*runs away*

As promised, I've been digging into the latest patch, comparing primarily the menus to the ones in FE7. Overall everything is amazingly close, but I did discover the following few oddities:

• On the Configuration screen, the Unit and Combat options are not properly aligned with each other, and "Detail" is still abbreviated as "Det".

post-12207-0-67658900-1408728468_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-91982500-1408728469_thumb.png
  • On the Animation screen (Options -> Animation -> Solo), the Class header is not properly aligned, the Anim column is named Anime and the "OFF" option looks like it still has yet to be translated.

post-12207-0-09867000-1408729108_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-59208800-1408729108_thumb.png
  • The text "Nintendo Presents" on the Nintendo Presents screen is no longer in the font originally used in the official release, which used to look similar to the font used in FE7 as well.

post-12207-0-01812500-1408728469_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-21537700-1408728468_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-20452200-1408728470_thumb.png

• On the Personal Data screen, the Affin icon is left aligned, not center aligned like in FE7. This is so minor I almost didn't even bother posting it, but since the patch is nearing completion, I wanted to make sure all differences are known.

post-12207-0-47544300-1408728469_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-61273200-1408728470_thumb.png

• On the Character (Unit) screen, the Class header is not properly aligned, EXP is all in caps (instead of Exp) and Max HP is MHP instead of Max.

post-12207-0-78812200-1408823616_thumb.pngpost-12207-0-21934500-1408823617_thumb.png

EDIT: Added info about the Character (Unit) screen differences.

Edited by Chad

It should be "even more slowly." It was more noticeable than usual because she says "I grow more slowly" right before.

*runs away*

On that step, should the '

I' rather be 'me', as Fa is the object being compared?

*runs away*

On that step, should the '

I' rather be 'me', as Fa is the object being compared?

tabachanker: Cool! That's great you're making progress on the messages, too.

Here's a savestate with a couple enemy thieves who can pilfer a chest if you let them be. I have about a million savestates so if you need any others feel free to ask. :P

https://www.mediafire.com/?q33inl4fpo66mew

I just finished adding the space I was talking about. It looks really good now! I'm really proud of what I've done with those message boxes. I add to program a completely new subroutine to achieve this (choosing between "A", "a", "An" or "an", by checking the 1st letter of the item name being displayed). It was fun to do, and the result is satisfying. The patch I included here also includes the Elibe maps, so it patches vanilla v0.98.

Also, thanks for the savestate. I used it to test the "item was pilfered" and "stole an item" messages. Unfortunately, the little buggers do not want to steal from me! I even put Barth (the slow knight) in the way with no weapons and a couple of vulneraries. Didn't do a thing... Ah well, I don't see why that message wouldn't work.

There's 3 points I'm still not sure about:

• The "[icon] weapon level increased" message: Should there be a space between [icon] and "weapon"? I didn't change anything to that message. There is currently no space (neither with animations on nor off). It looks king of odd. You can change this yourself by adding a space before the text "weapon level increased".
  • Text offset 0C77 "gold was obtained." is used when an enemy thief opens a chest with gold in it. Is this the right message to use? The message was "was obtained" before I changed it to "gold was obtained".
  • In FE7, there is a dot at the end of each texts. For example: "Got an [item] [icon] ." I didn't put it in my patch because I don't have any text offset to put it in. But I saved some space in the ROM file to easily add it to the 2 messages that need it ("Got ..." and "Stole ..."), should you find eventually a place to define the dot. Text offset 0C70 seems to be used only by the original "weapon level increased" message in Japanese. Before my patch, this message would display text offset 0C70, the weapon type icon, then text offset 0C71. Text offset 0C70 is empty and text offset 0C71 contains the whole message. I removed the use of offset 0C70 for the message so I think it may be safe to reuse it for the dot.

To help with the text offsets used by the message boxes, here is a list of them with their purpose:

• 0C70: Currently empty. Was probably used by "weapon level increased" message. Not anymore after my patch!
  • 0C71: Text "Weapon level increased". You can add a space before the word weapon if you want a space between this text and the icon. It will affect both the text when animations are on and when they are off.
  • 0C72: Text " broke!". Used by the message "A[n] [item] [icon] broke!", both when animations are on/off. Notice the space before the word broke. It is to separate it from the [icon] before it. It is the only text that you need to do this. All the others are programmed to space correctly all text parts.
  • 0C73: Text " broke!". It is referenced at some point, but nothing seems to call this point in the code. That may be used when an enemy breaks its weapon... But I don't remember if we receive a message when this happens. Even if it's the case, this particular text offset isn't call anywhere in the code.
  • 0C74: Text "gold.". Used when you get gold from anything (chest, village, thin air...)
  • 0C75: Text "Got". Used when getting an item (or gold) from anything (chest, village, thin air again).
  • 0C76: Text "Stole". Used when stealing an item from an enemy.
  • 0C77: Text "gold was obtained.". Used when an enemy thief opens a chest with gold in it. I couldn't test this yet unfortunately.
  • 0C78: Text "was pilfered.". Used when an enemy thief opens a chest with any item in it.
  • 0C79: Text "was stolen.". Used when an enemy thief steals from a character. I couldn't test this yet unfortunately. Thiefs don't want to steal from me :Colm:
  • 0C7A: Text "Support Lv. increased". Didn't need to change this at all in my patch.

Now, I found 3 other messages that use the same part of code as those above. I don't really know what they're about so I can't test them. But here they are anyway:

• 06E6: Text "The village was attacked". Probably when a brigand destroy a village. If you have a statestate when this can happen, I would be very greatful!
  • 06E7: Text "The team surrendered". Probably used in the link arena.
  • 06E8: Text "Exiting because no damage will be done.". I really don't know...

thanks for all that! i tried to get to work dumping the northwest zoomed map because i can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere else, but alas, the world map has foiled me yet again. i can't figure out the palette issue or how i'm supposed to implement the .rom files. is it possible that you, or someone else who knows what they're doing, could export a copy for me and i'll provide the edited version to be implemented as soon as i can? sorry about this, but i'm kind of out of my depth here

You need to copy the content of the .rom file at some place not used in the FE6 ROM file. I used offset $900000. You do this with a hex editor program (I use XVI32, the best free one!). After that, you use GBage with the parameters I wrote in my previous post and be sure to set palette offset $900000.

If you still can't do it, no worries, I extracted all 5 bitmaps in PNG files and uploaded in this post alongside the new patch. Should save you some time!

Patch.zip

Elibe world maps.zip

Edited by tabachanker