Shin Megami Tensei IV

Samias

What ending are you gunning for?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these endings are you going for?

• Chaos
    • Law
    • Neutral
    • That other one

You'll pick up a gun for free after you make it through Naraku, and the damage is influenced by your dex. The bullets can be switched out so you can have a free elemental attack. Watch out when buying melee weapons, as the type of weapon changes the type of attack you use to initiate battle. The Athame is a dagger which gives you a smaller attack range for initiation against an enemy, but I don't really like blunts too much either. I've been using spears, even though the attack startup is slower than a sword, it lingers forward longer.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll pick up a gun for free after you make it through Naraku, and the damage is influenced by your dex. The bullets can be switched out so you can have a free elemental attack. Watch out when buying melee weapons, as the type of weapon changes the type of attack you use to initiate battle. The Athame is a dagger which gives you a smaller attack range for initiation against an enemy, but I don't really like blunts too much either. I've been using spears, even though the attack startup is slower than a sword, it lingers forward longer.

Yeah but as you can see I have a ton of Ag and that affects pre-emptive strikes and all right? I've noticed I can run into most enemies and still get first attack so range doesnt matter too much. I think i'll stick with Dies though just to save a bit of money. And I thought I made it through Naraku...

I wasnt paying attention to what they were talking about and now it says to enter a name and idk what im naming halp D:

Edited by Agile Tit-Tyrant

Hey hey hey guys.

I've only finished an SMT game once, kinda screwing around with my stats too much not sure what im doing... So what level are you guys and what are your stats?

I'm level 21 and I'm going with a DEX / AGI / LU setup. My stats are as follows:

STR: 9

DEX: 38

MA: 9

AG: 32

LU: 73

If you're having trouble deciding what stats to invest in, then I'll give you a brief overview of what each stat's purpose is so that you can have an easier time deciding where to invest your level-up points:

STR -- Slightly increases the damage dealt with physical attacks and highly increases the damage done with melee weapons.

DEX -- Highly increases the damage dealt with physical attacks and also increases damage dealt with bullet-type attacks.

MAG -- Highly increases the damage dealt with magical attacks.

AGI -- Determines your turn order, gives you a better chance at running away from a battle, and improves the hit percentage of your attacks and also your own innate evasion percentage.

LU -- Increases the chance that status ailments dealt to enemies will be effective, decreases the chance that those ailments will be effective against you, and also allows you to deal critical hits more often. This stat might also affect item drop rates, but I'm not quite sure about that.

LU is an amazing stat that I highly suggest investing into regardless of whether or not you're a magic-user or a physical brute-- it's just that good. As for the others, STR is kind of mediocre since DEX does a better job at increasing physical attack damage, but it's not like you're screwed if you invest in it. DEX itself goes very well with MAG because at a certain point in the game you'll be able to use bullets infused with elemental attacks like Bufu, Zio, and Agi. MAG is cool and very useful when it comes to striking enemy weaknesses, plus it has a lot of options when it comes to attacks. AGI is similar to LU in that it is simply very convenient for any type of character.

All in all, just invest into whatever strikes your fancy: MAG / DEX gunslinger, STR / DEX physical powerhouse, or completely balanced-- anything works, really.

Level 24 here. St 12, Dx 15, Ma 50, Ag 45, Lu 52.

Those stats in St and Dx are due to armor, I haven't touched them at all.

VR challenge quests have to be my favorite battles so far. I'm fond of the Jack Bros one.

I dont play games often but I gotta say SMT is really good. And I almost feel like im playing on a console and not a handheld

Also, I think I like using blunts other than other types

All in all, just invest into whatever strikes your fancy: MAG / DEX gunslinger, STR / DEX physical powerhouse, or completely balanced-- anything works, really.

Makes it sound like Dx/Mg is superior but oh well. Probably going to go something like 50/50/25/75/75 but if i have more stat points maybe max out luck

I'm level 21 and I'm going with a DEX / AGI / LU setup. My stats are as follows:

STR: 9

DEX: 38

MA: 9

AG: 32

LU: 73

That's a pretty unique build you've got there, I don't think I've seen one like that before, you set this up for the ailments or the crits?

(I wanna say crits for the press turns)

I dont play games often but I gotta say SMT is really good. And I almost feel like im playing on a console and not a handheld

Also, I think I like using blunts other than other types

Makes it sound like Dx/Mg is superior but oh well. Probably going to go something like 50/50/25/75/75 but if i have more stat points maybe max out luck

Mg kind of is, since there are more magics than physical moves(correct me if i'm wrong), and when you get that megido, you'll wanna have high MG, you know

That's a pretty unique build you've got there, I don't think I've seen one like that before, you set this up for the ailments or the crits?

(I wanna say crits for the press turns)

Mg kind of is, since there are more magics than physical moves(correct me if i'm wrong), and when you get that megido, you'll wanna have high MG, you know

Yeah... But i figured id let my demons do the magic and leave my MC a physical powerhouse... Well I guess stats really dont matter... I think its possible to max out all your stats if youre determined enough anyway? Dont make me feel like I messed up my stats either! :pp

I've heard that MAG build is heavily favored here and later part of the game would trivialized by MAG build. I want to go hipster and take PHYS build but still not sure yet if it at least decent enough for late game.

Yeah... But i figured id let my demons do the magic and leave my MC a physical powerhouse... Well I guess stats really dont matter... I think its possible to max out all your stats if youre determined enough anyway? Dont make me feel like I messed up my stats either! :pp

No, you're fine, that's not a bad idea, having some diversity in your team, I seen one guy have 150 MG at Lvl 30~something or other, and his team was mainly Magic users and the gap in their damage was like: Demons:300~400 Him:700~800...

Also, I feel I should point out to all players who apply, don't forget those buffs, whatever you do, don't forget those buffs

I've heard that MAG build is heavily favored here and later part of the game would trivialized by MAG build. I want to go hipster and take PHYS build but still not sure yet if it at least decent enough for late game.

I thought the hipster thing was MG, but oh well, I hope they give you enough Phys attacks to compensate

bleh Of course Magic would be better.

It's gonna be like Strange Journey then where final parties are magic based demons and then you just spam all of the Almighty skills.

Why can't physical skills just use HP instead MP again? :L

Well... Now I wish i wouldve went with mag... Oops

If that was because of that guys damage output, don't sweat it, he dumped ALL of his points in Mg... his other stats were still at base like 6, 7 and so-on, I'm pretty sure once he faces an enemy with Makarakarn, he'll be regretting that decision, i'm sure if you dumped all points into Str, you could get the same result.

It's gonna be like Strange Journey then where final parties are magic based demons and then you just spam all of the Almighty skills.

Why can't physical skills just use HP instead MP again? :L

Hey, we can't say for sure that that would be necessary, I mean, my brothers Law-run in SJ, he had a phys-final party, and he did alright, just had the obvious problem of

Pillar Zelenin...*cough*Requiem*cough*

Edited by Soledai

I can be kinda OCD and wanna do things perfectly/the best way and completely so I feel like St is really crappy and doesnt fit in with how i was gunna playt he game.. but i already have 50 points in it and it wouldnt even be worth it to get my dx and mg higher than it

I get that, but if you wanna do ST... then do ST, you won't get punished for having a phys build, there are phys skills that can hit multiple times, and then there's the skill Pierce but that'll mostly likely come along later...

anyway, could someone tell me, if you can get passive skills from demon whisper, despite all i'm saying, I actually don't have SMT 4 yet ;p

I just need that one thing clarified

EDIT: To answer your pre-emptive question, I'm not sure if it does

Edited by Soledai

Magic Bullets are affected by MG stat, I wouldn't worry too much about, just put some points into your MG/DX every few levels or so, what are your current stats?

And thats good to know

Hm... But Magic bullets damage are based off of magic stat? So much to consider

And I find that with a lot of Agility I can usually run into a mob without striking and still get the first turn

Aren't magic bullets affected only by DEX? They are still gun attack after all.

Well, we can go STR, DEX, or MAG build but both LCK and AGI must always become priority.

I get that, but if you wanna do ST... then do ST, you won't get punished for having a phys build, there are phys skills that can hit multiple times, and then there's the skill Pierce but that'll mostly likely come along later...

anyway, could someone tell me, if you can get passive skills from demon whisper, despite all i'm saying, I actually don't have SMT 4 yet ;p

I just need that one thing clarified

EDIT: To answer your pre-emptive question, I'm not sure if it does

You can't get passive skills from demon whispering. Or at least I haven't been able to.

Dx confirmed for best damage stat?

It looks like Mg stat for affecting only Magic skills, not bullets

Dx largely increases physical (sword) damage, St slightly increases phys damage

Dx and St slightly increase gun damage, yet Dx does a little more

I dunno if I'm reading it right but source http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66751506

Dx confirmed for best damage stat

Many people who want to go STR immediately directed to DEX instead, so I guess that certainly better if we want to go PHYS right?

Currently having 10 8 10 14 15 MC, I guess it still fixable. don't want my 10 play coins go to waste

Many people who want to go STR immediately directed to DEX instead, so I guess that certainly better if we want to go PHYS right?

Currently having 10 8 10 14 15 MC, I guess it still fixable. don't want my 10 play coins go to waste

What do play coins have to do with this?

Edited post to further explain, and to me it does look like Dx is the superior damage Stat. So... Its like Lu > Ag > Dx > St > Mg? I'd like for someone to check out that article and see if my theory makes sense