So, Atlus is up for sale...

And there is no way in hell that SEGA wouldn't release Persona 5 overseas.

I have to agree. Atlus' Persona series, and its SMT series (to a degree), are pretty well-known and established in the West. I think they have a good enough fanbase to guarantee localization. Though I kind of wonder how it'll affect Atlus' tendency to publish niche games? I really love Atlus-published strategy games, like Stella Deus and Eternal Poison/ Poison Pink. I hope they'll still continue to churn them out and localize them!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cynical side of me thinks Sega did this because they don't consider their own brands worth localization, thus when people ask them where Phantasy Star Online 2 they'll point and say "We're giving you Persona!"

The really hopeful side of me wants Shin Megami Tensei x Shining Force.

Since Sega and Nintendo are good pals these days the SMTxFE crossover is now officially safe

This is pretty much the most important thing right here at this point for Nintendo fans: whether or not the buyout would affect the development of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. At least all we can do now is hope that it's safe.

Honestly, I was kinda disappointed that Sega purchased Atlus, as I was hoping Nintendo would do it (weren't we all). But when I think about it now, it's not that bad of a thing. However, this does not give Sega the excuse to force "obligatory Sonic references" into the Shin Megami Tensei series. I can believe we'd all be mad as hell if that happened.

This is pretty much the most important thing right here at this point for Nintendo fans: whether or not the buyout would affect the development of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. At least all we can do now is hope that it's safe.

Honestly, I was kinda disappointed that Sega purchased Atlus, as I was hoping Nintendo would do it (weren't we all). But when I think about it now, it's not that bad of a thing. However, this does not give Sega the excuse to force "obligatory Sonic references" into the Shin Megami Tensei series. I can believe we'd all be mad as hell if that happened.

Sonic references usually only happen in the likes of Phantasy Star Online. I mean heck he didn't even show up in Project X Zone [considering Sonic isn't big in Japan he is strongest in Europe] But even if he did.. We've had Dante in a SMT game, we have FE crossing over with it. Other then personal anti Sonic bias what would be wrong with a reference or something? Which honestly I doubt will happen but still.

Also Nintendo getting Atlus would have set the Persona fanbase aflame against the SMT fanbase for the thousandth time I doubt anyone would truly want that again this is not even beginning to mention the various other franchises. Atlus has too many multiconsole series for that to go nicely

Edited by Jedi

Looks like we might be playing this on our iphones.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=82421361&postcount=329

I'm anticipating mobile spin-off cashgrab type games though. Not really the type of things they aim at an audience outside of Japan. I kind of doubt they'd be porting and limiting full blown games to mobile devices, really.

Besides, Nintendo would never allow a major 1st-party title on a rival platform. Heck, if they had their way they wouldn't be on mobile in any way whatsoever outside their own platform.

Even at the worst case scenario, this should not affect SMT x FE. Sega would NOT want to piss off Nintendo.

It's over, guys. It's over.

R.I.P. localization. It's fucking over.

Sega hates the west, and they'll go out of their way to make sure the west doesn't get any games.

So long, Persona 5. It would have been fun.

And Atlus hates Europa...

So long, Etrian Odissey...

Well, I keeps hope anyway.

I believe Atlus mentionned that they will continue business as they always have, so there goes one of my main worries. Though I'm still wondering if they'll still be able to publish niche titles.
Hopefully, now that the matter is 100% settled, I hope we'll get some more information on upcoming games soon. Please announce Persona 5...pleaaaase

I'm anticipating mobile spin-off cashgrab type games though. Not really the type of things they aim at an audience outside of Japan. I kind of doubt they'd be porting and limiting full blown games to mobile devices, really.

It's worth noting that Atlus already did churn out mobile spin-off games. Naturally, none of them came to the west. So basically, business as usual.

My main conscern is over the fate of Atlus's USA branch, since obviously Sega has one of those already. Hopefully, nothing, but eh.