So, Atlus is up for sale...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because Capcom has the habit of not making more games that are very popular.

*coughcoughMegamancoughcough*

I'm just saying lol, Namco because they are even more like lolnolocalization and capcom is just kinda eh lately. Project X Zone not withstanding :P

I'd be more worried with Namco or Capcom.

Actually I feel Namco has gotten better in terms of localization in recent years or at least better than sega has in that same timeframe. (Yukuza 5 anyone) They are still inconsistent, what with One Piece: Romance Dawn in NA and the Vita Tales series but I doubt that they would overlook the SMT fanbase in the west.

Capcom on the other hand will tell everyone to shove Mara up their you know what and Agi Jack Frost to the ground

Edited by ShinRPGamer

This seems right up Sega's alley to be honest, though the future of localizations in the hands of any of these companies is scary at best. Especially if we find out GungHo is among the bidders, which I still think is very much a possibility given GungHo's recent acquisitions. My fingers are crossed that there isn't going to be an effect on their North American team and that they let them carry on business as usual.

I doubt that EA or Activision or any of the Big Three were throwing their money in the pot. Maaaybe Nintendo, as Nintendo had picked up MonolithSoft a few years back and has IS in their stable, but Atlus simply doesn't pump out the kinds of games that have mass appeal, especially in a western portfolio.

Edited by Samias

Actually I feel Namco has gotten better in terms of localization in recent years or at least better than sega has in that same timeframe. (Yukuza 5 anyone) They are still inconsistent, what with One Piece: Romance Dawn in NA and the Vita Tales series but I doubt that they would overlook the SMT fanbase in the west.

I'm still waiting for Radiant Mythology 2 and 3, not to mention them snubbing Tales of Vesperia PS3 users. And Tales of the Heroes, and Tales of Vs.

I'm still waiting for Radiant Mythology 2 and 3, not to mention them snubbing Tales of Vesperia PS3 users. And Tales of the Heroes, and Tales of Vs.

Well I was referring to a timeframe among the lines of 2011-2013 but yeah if all this was happening before 2011 i'd agree with you there.

When it comes to Atlus, just remember that at this point any of the twenty companies can buy out Atlus. I do wish we could get a list on potential buyers so we can dissect what would happen. Just knowing SEGA is involved is not exactly enough.

This seems right up Sega's alley to be honest, though the future of localizations in the hands of any of these companies is scary at best.

Dear Naga no. The only high-quality thing Sega has pumped out these last few years is the Valkyria Chronicles series.

Dear Naga no. The only high-quality thing Sega has pumped out these last few years is the Valkyria Chronicles series.

Did I say anything about the quality of Sega? No. In fact, I mentioned that none of these companies bidding for Atlus the developer might end up localizing games like Atlus the publisher currently does. Sega maintains a sizeable stable of jRPGs, such as one-off titles like Resonance of Fate and also their series of games like the Valkyria Chronicles, Shining series, Phantasy Star, 7th Dragon, and Sakura Taisen but many of the PSP and DS titles never make it overseas. At this point, it's impossible to say if any of Atlus's buyers will respect the North American localization team and accept publishing niche titles with slim margins and low mass appeal.

Sonic Generations

Odds are even if Sega buys them, They're not gonna be shoving Sega executives or developers to steal creative control. The most they could do is Executive Medalling with release dates.

Well spectral souls 2 was bad yes I agree on that but idea factory was also behind Agarest and Neptunia the later being successful enough for a TV series.

Also idea factory would just need to publish.

Another non mainstream publisher/developer I like is kemco they do lots of mobile RPGs at present.

>Idea Factory

>Agarest

Just wait until Jyo reads this

There's so much wrong with IF really

They give no damns about quality checking, are overly fond of arbitrary quest/ending requirements, and shamelessly shove DLC into their players' faces

If they were to buy Atlus, at least the DLC part would certainly seep into their games

Edited by OldMan

Well fair points - whoever owns Altus just needs to give them creative control and gives a damn about the genre.

Don't want some company to take it over only to make it more "western appealing"

Yes, because having games that are more successful and mainstream is a bad thing.

Wait, what?

Just because it would be more appealing to some in the west doesn't mean it would be a good idea. It would alienate the fans the series has grown on. Going Mainstream is often the downfall of a franchise.

Look at DMC's reboot, Bomberman's reboot, Castlevania's reboot, for the most recent examples of trying to appeal to the more "hardcore gritty" people in the west and failing utterly

Edited by Folgore Red II

This seems right up Sega's alley to be honest, though the future of localizations in the hands of any of these companies is scary at best. Especially if we find out GungHo is among the bidders, which I still think is very much a possibility given GungHo's recent acquisitions. My fingers are crossed that there isn't going to be an effect on their North American team and that they let them carry on business as usual.

I doubt that EA or Activision or any of the Big Three were throwing their money in the pot. Maaaybe Nintendo, as Nintendo had picked up MonolithSoft a few years back and has IS in their stable, but Atlus simply doesn't pump out the kinds of games that have mass appeal, especially in a western portfolio.

I'm surprised it took so long for this to be said. Atlus has never developed a game that went on to sell a million or more copies. They're very, very niche developers and it's kind of crazy how big of a deal people are making over it, as if one of the console manufacterers has to get them or the other ones are in trouble. In all honesty, if I had to pick one of the three who would need Atlus the most, it'd be Microsoft to strengthen their line-up in a Japan market that is currently dominated by Sony and Nintendo.

I was hoping Namco would be able to get them, as I'm not particularly fond of Sega (who I imagine is the bidding leader currently). Both have had iffy localization practices in the past, but Namco seems to be making more of an effort as of late.

Edited by Tangerine

I'm surprised it took so long for this to be said. Atlus has never developed a game that went on to sell a million or more copies. They're very, very niche developers and it's kind of crazy how big of a deal people are making over it, as if one of the console manufacterers has to get them or the other ones are in trouble. In all honesty, if I had to pick one of the three who would need Atlus the most, it'd be Microsoft to strengthen their line-up in a Japan market that is currently dominated by Sony and Nintendo.

I was hoping Namco would be able to get them, as I'm not particularly fond of Sega (who I imagine is the bidding leader currently). Both have had iffy localization practices in the past, but Namco seems to be making more of an effort as of late.

what

Microsoft is dead in Japan regardless, it isn't even worth the effort to snag exclusives (see: 360 in Japan with those random JRPG exclusives that didn't do much)