Continuous Battle Themes

HolyAarom

How do you guys feel about something as simple as the battle theme picking up where it left off? I don't remember if FE9 had it, but I know that FE10 has it where when you attack an enemy, the theme that plays doesn't always start at the same spot.

For games that don't have this kind of thing, I remember my favorite part of the player attack theme in FE8 being very later on, which only gets there if you double attack and get a level up (or have a long animation.) With FE7, I kinda feel like there's a bunch of nothing after the main part of the theme passes, which again usually happens to me after a double attack and level up.

Haven't played FE13 yet, but it's just something I really liked after recently finishing FE10 for the first time since I liked the battle themes in that game.

IMO the way FE13 does it is the best. There's two versions of every map theme and the game switches between a light/heavy version of the song when going in and out of battles. The feature wasn't really necessary in the GBA games because the songs are really short and so are the battles--FE9/10 battles are quite a bit longer so it called for a different kind of system.

I guess I technically like FE13's system the most. But I think that the music should switch at the same time as the visuals.

As it is now, the battle theme changes back to the map theme as soon as the enemy is defeated and before the victory pose, exp gains... etc. The transition never feels natural that way.

I like that there are two versions of the same theme. It works very well with the "Expedition" theme when going through risen battles. It felt pretty fluid when going in and out of battle. I think the reason I love that feature so much is due to the fact that the songs don't become as repetitive. You are listening to the full tune before it replays itself whereas, in previous titles, hearing the beginning of a theme over and over can get irritating.