Have your opinion of awakeing changed?

ClassyWolf

Yes to some extent. I recognize that the game has it's flaws (like the horrible plot) but to be fair it's STILL my 3rd favorite Fire Emblem game in the series. Imo (I know plenty of people will disagree with me on this but whatever) I still think that Awakening has the best gameplay HANDS DOWN out of all the entire games in the series so far.

I actually do love a good chunk of the characters, even if my opinion about some of them has changed for the worse (Kellam, Miriel, Panne, Yarne, Tharja, Severa). One of my friends said it best:

"Awakening has a full spectrum of characters. Some of them are gimmicky and one-dimensional while others are acceptable and some are just freaking awesome!"

I do grow tired of all the critics since they all just say the same thing while many of them in my experience act like they're saying something groundbreaking and they're not. Be that as it may a good number of said criticisms are *sigh* valid, although, like I said at the beginning of my post, Awakening is STILL my 3rd favorite game in the series.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started playing Awakening, my thoughts were mostly along the line of "Huh, this is pretty cool." After playing it for awhile though, I have to admit I'm pretty conflicted about it. Like, for every cool thing the game puts forth, it brings up a counter point of variable detrimental value to my overall enjoyment of the game. Just to give a couple examples: Tons of class options and room for growth for practically every unit, countered with some classes being downright useless compared to others, some which don't even have worthwhile abilities. (Utility units like thieves got hit pretty bad with this, they're completely pointless once you get the skills) There are tons of supports and no limits on them, leading to extra character interaction and character development. This is juxtaposed with some characters being fairly shallow and some supports retreading the same territory over and over again.

I guess what I mostly feel about Awakening now is that I really like what it puts forth, even if it handles it a bit clumsily. I'm interested to see how IS expands upon this in the next installment of the series, hopefully vastly improving with this ground work laid out. So put concisely, while I do enjoy the actual content of Awakening a fair amount, I'm more interested in seeing what's done with it in a future installment than how it appears in the actual game I'm playing, if that makes any sense.

I said "ship everybody with everybody" not "ship myself with everybody". Everyone in the game having their own harem is funner. :P:

PvwoZbA.jpg

Like that?

[Honestly that run did a couple things, but the most notable was "I Hate Inigo"]

Drastically. I was drawn in by the hype and was blown away by the shear amount of content without actually thinking too much about the quality. These days, the only thing I like about the game are it's production values but those can't save a game with a shitty story/characters and unbalanced gameplay. Now it's my least favourite game in the series, though still a good game on its own.

I'll take less quantity but high quality over high quantity but low quality.

Im actually curious as to why this matters so much to people. You know, im a huge fan of Cherche/Virion but if someone makes a ton of fanart of Gregor/Cherche, its not going to bother me in the slightest. A bunch of people on tumblr like Chrom//Avatar? Big flippin' deal. So what if there's a disproportionate amount of fanart of it? Theres a ridiculous amount of Florina/Lyn fanart out there and i dont give a fuck. (Hector/Florina fan here) The shipping wars is just...its just silly.

Well, it's really more so the vocalness of the fans, but I doubt there's a pairing these days that has nearly as much fanart as Chrom x Female Avatar.

I must admit I'm a little saddened by the general dislike of the game's story and characters (particularly their gimmicks). Before playing the game I had the lowest expectations for it, due to my own dislike of the art style, but gradually it grew on me and I found that I couldn't put the game down. Still can't.

Story wise, yeah, it's not the greatest tale ever spun but at least it's simple to follow. What annoys me more are games that try to over complicate things up to the point were the plot is incoherent. (This MAY be a spoiler to those who haven't beat the game) Some would argue that the part of Basilio's "death" was a stupid advancement of the plot but I see it as "hope will never die", basically Lucina succeeded in preventing the death of a comrade by warning the group whereas she failed in regards to another, Emmeryn. I was happy with that concept and decided to go along with it.

In regards to the characters I think a decent enough job was done. Only so much can be done with C-S support development. I think it'd be a bit much if most supports had some intense backstory. Pointless, silly convos between characters here and there didn't bother me. I actually really like how everyone has distinct character traits. It helped a lot when it came to shipping people together <- this is completely personal. The one-dimensionality (is that a word? O.O) wasn't as annoying as some people put it but again this is a personal opinion. There were some characters that bugged me but that was because I didn't like the personality they represented.

The actually gameplay is fun, kinda broken at times, but fun. I will say that at times it felt too easy. Note to self it's time to try Lunatic mode with no grinding...

I came into the game expecting it to be a lot worse to be honest. So I'd say my opinion of Awakening has changed for the better. A lot of you probably have had this game longer than me but I believe my opinion of it will stay the same in the next year. Heck, I still hold the same opinion for older FE games too. So yeah.

You know, this game would have been far more appreciated if it wasn't a Fire Emblem game.

Because people had far too high expectation toward it.

Once again, it's not a boring unplayable mess (like that one game).

About the shipping... At least it gives fanservice to both guys and girls, so it's a good thing, I guess...

Edited by shytende

I must admit I'm a little saddened by the general dislike of the game's story and characters (particularly their gimmicks). Before playing the game I had the lowest expectations for it, due to my own dislike of the art style, but gradually it grew on me and I found that I couldn't put the game down. Still can't.

I think most of the arguements made about the dislike towards the game is a fine line between angry fanboy and constructive criticism.

Gameplay and Format: top notch, although infinite grinding isn't really good for the difficulty.

Characters: Detailed supports does not help a bad character look less bad. I will admit, I'm a die hard fan of certain characters, but when your "main" character doesn't feel the like star of the game, you are doing something wrong.

Maps: Most are overly simple, and no defend/rescue/etc. Chapters is a downgrade.

Plot: Laughable. Future children coming to help you kill a evil dragon that can easily be killed with Donnel? Yea-no. I also laughed a bit when Japan voted Emmeryn as one of the least favorite characters. Way to shove a death scene of nobody's favorite character down our throat.

DLC: One word. Why?

I used to think Awakening was the bees knees when I first experienced it.

Nowadays, after playing it extensively, I think it's a retread of Sacred Stones except worse in every single applicable category.

And I don't think Sacred Stones is all that great to begin with.

I think my opinion of it changed mid-way through my first PT when the plot started falling apart and the maps were getting samey and little things like non-Lord characters being able to recruit other characters just didn't exist. Because up 'til about Chapter 11 I thought it was a wonderful game with a few little ticky problems here and there.

It's very pretty and goes out of its way to make itself accessible. The basic character interactions are cute and most of the cast is totally likable on the surface. The DLC and extra goodies provide a nice fun nostalgia buzz and it's fun to watch little mommy-daddy-kidlet families fighting together. But overall I haven't touched it in months, and all in all I'd rather play FE4 or FE8 or the Marth games again than sink any more time into FE13.

My opinion has changed vastly, it's hard to describe it accurately without going off into rambling tangents. But overall I still love Awakening and everything about it; it's not perfect, but it's still the best Fire Emblem game as of now.

PvwoZbA.jpg

Like that?

[Honestly that run did a couple things, but the most notable was "I Hate Inigo"]

Oh yesss.

Well, it's really more so the vocalness of the fans, but I doubt there's a pairing these days that has nearly as much fanart as Chrom x Female Avatar.

So? Chrom/FeAvatar have a fuck ton of fanart. Why does it matter?

You know, this game would have been far more appreciated if it wasn't a Fire Emblem game.

Because people had far too high expectation toward it.

Once again, it's not a boring unplayable mess (like that one game).

About the shipping... At least it gives fanservice to both guys and girls, so it's a good thing, I guess...

Meh i think thats rubbish. Because the only vocalization ive heard thats really negative is a minority within the fandom. The rest of the world who bought this game seems to be really happy with it. I wish people wouldnt ignore the Silent Majority.

I think this game was overhyped. Granted, it did help the FE series out. But it just wasn't really what I was expecting.

Having finished two PTs thus far, I can, with full confidence say, that its story wasn't too bad. Sure, it's not perfect. But much of that has to do with how its pacing was handled. Especially after Ch.10 and arguably before then.

The implied love interest route could have been handled better than it was already, though. Simply put, I wanted to like Chrom/Sumia. The supports sans the C were pretty much centered around pies. Much of the scenes where she appears in before Ch.11, save for Maribelle mentioning how Sumia was worried about Chrom, don't really expound on or develop any romance the two have. Ugh... It just felt forced an unnatural. I dare say even more so than Chrom/Olivia. And not to mention Cynthia's situation in her own paralogue chapter, regardless of whether or not any disguise is used by the boss of that chapter, to me, just messes with any continuity in regards to the Chrom/Sumia implications. If you ask me, if the couple that you're implying is the canon couple is outshone by other pairing options the two characters have, you're doing something wrong. Especially since none of the previous pairs that were implied to be canon, or are indeed canon, never had this sort of problem. And last I checked regarding Sumia's lack of popularity in Japan, shipping the non-player avatar with a character who isn't very popular in the first place doesn't exactly help. (However, I don't know if Sumia's popularity in Japan is independent from the Chrom/Sumia pairing. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't, though.) Gameplay-wise, disregarding that Lucy and Cynthia arguably get the best non-Robin class set outside of Olivia and Henry respectively, it's not really a good pair for early on seeing as Chrom doesn't give Sumia what she wants statwise unless if he uses a Change Seal. Vice-versa, it depends. Though I don't know how much AS the guy will need around the fight with Gangrel and onwards. But the gameplay stuff with the pair considered is something else for another time.

Of course, if you ask me, I.S. doesn't seem to have a good track record with how romance between Lord/Pegasus Knight pairs are generally handled. So a part of me should have been expecting that. But most of the other Lord/Pegasus Knight pairs don't even have the Pegasus Knight as the Lord's implied love interest in the first place. On the other hand, there is Marth/Caeda (which is official from the get go), Ike/Elincia (which wasn't even implied in the first place), and Ephraim/Tana.

And the maps were small, and the enemies have a disgusting tendency to zerg rush. Doesn't seem to be much strategy involved in this game, in spite of the series it's in. I honestly thought it would be tougher. And I could see why it could be considered "grind-happy", but considering the StreetPass feature, I'm not too surprised that such descriptions are applied to the gameplay itself. And not to mention DLC like Apothesis.

Supports, with some exceptions (such as what's noted earlier in this post), are great. Even in spite of the characters adhering to typical anime tropes. For starters, they're much of why Lucy is one of my most favorite characters in the FE series. I'm just gonna leave it at that for now.

However, while I do admit that supports do contribute towards replay value, this is a game where practically every support can be ground up. Which, if you ask me, hurts its replay value. Leaving said replay value, at most, not as high as, say, FE7's replay value. Or FE9's.

I do appreciate it though. In spite of it's flaws.

Edited by Just call me Al

So? Chrom/FeAvatar have a fuck ton of fanart. Why does it matter?

It's almost ALL I ever see in Awakening fanart. Don't you get tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over again, especially if you dislike it?

It's almost ALL I ever see in Awakening fanart. Don't you get tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over again, especially if you dislike it?

The best thing you can do about is accept it because that's how fans are. I get tired of seeing fanart of seeing Henry paired with Olivia, but you don't see me complaining about it.

When I first played Fire Emblem Awakening, I was incredibly impressed. It had a colorful cast of characters, expanded on an already know universe, and had an amazing soundtrack. Later on once I started seeing others view of the game and started noticing them, my love for the game decreased slightly. Stunningly bland maps with the same two objectives, characters and a story that seems ripped straight out of T .V. Tropes, and unbalanced gameplay. Even so, I still enjoy the game. The pros and the cons sorta balance out. 6/10

The best thing you can do about is accept it because that's how fans are. I get tired of seeing fanart of seeing Henry paired with Olivia, but you don't see me complaining about it.

Yeah, I suppose. And besides that, I'm still going to keep making Frederick x Female Avatar fanart to balance things out a little. lol

You know, i began to type out an actual parallel to this and what i do in these cases, but im not gonna do that here. Why? Cuz Chrom/FeAvatar is fucking innocuous and its not hurting anyone. I dont care for American Horror Story or Walking Dead. My friends love it, though. They spam it on facebook all the time. ITS NOT HURTING ANYONE. Why should i be arsed? I spam Game of Thrones/ASOIAF, Norse mythology, etc. If people dont like much or get tired of it, they just simply dont fucking reply.

Short answer: Stop being so arsed about what makes other people happy.

it was a nice game to me, i like to try new things in every new playthrough, however my opinion has changed but only a little, while i am very focused in making new supports or reclassing i forget about the main story, so it's kinda sad that the game ends earlier and some characters come really late, i like awakening but the story it's not the main atractive and i don't like it that much *shrugs*

(sorry if my english is bad i'm still learning the language xp)

it was a nice game to me, i like to try new things in every new playthrough, however my opinion has changed but only a little, while i am very focused in making new supports or reclassing i forget about the main story, so it's kinda sad that the game ends earlier and some characters come really late, i like awakening but the story it's not the main atractive and i don't like it that much *shrugs*

(sorry if my english is bad i'm still learning the language xp)

Better than most that only know English.

When I first played it, I thought it was worse than Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance, but vastly better than the piece of shit that is Shadow Dragon.

I still think that.

You know, i began to type out an actual parallel to this and what i do in these cases, but im not gonna do that here. Why? Cuz Chrom/FeAvatar is fucking innocuous and its not hurting anyone. I dont care for American Horror Story or Walking Dead. My friends love it, though. They spam it on facebook all the time. ITS NOT HURTING ANYONE. Why should i be arsed? I spam Game of Thrones/ASOIAF, Norse mythology, etc. If people dont like much or get tired of it, they just simply dont fucking reply.

Short answer: Stop being so arsed about what makes other people happy.

Okay, okay... Geez. You don't need to be so harsh.

The implied love interest route could have been handled better than it was already, though. Simply put, I wanted to like Chrom/Sumia. The supports sans the C were pretty much centered around pies.

Every time someone says this about the Chrom/Sumia pairing, I want to throw my textbooks across the room. Did anyone here even READ their supports?! Pies may have had a prominent appearance, but it was not the whole of their supports. It was about Sumia taking care of and looking out for Chrom, who's too busy to look after himself since he has to lead an army.

In the A support, pies only get things started; the rest of the support is Chrom worrying about Sumia this time, feeling about for bringing her into war. The two talk and bond and worry over reach other; it had NOTHING to do with pie.

The S support of the English one is just plain awful, and I can see this is why everyone thinks Chrom/Sumia is "lol pies". Everyone, just ignore the S English support and watch soc's video translation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yitS05BHw. When I think of Chrom/Sumia, I think of the Japanese S-support; I hope everyone else can, too. The pairing is very cute and deserved more than what the localization did to it.