Radiant Dawn support mechanics. What If

Jedi

Now from a gameplay standpoint, Radiant Dawn had a fun support system. Support whomever you wanted! But from a story standpoint it was incredibly lackluster.

But what if. A future FE game with a small enough group (or groups to fulfill the massive character quota)

Had Radiant Dawns support system but the writing for each character to chat to each character in the game (or their groups)? I think it would be quite great.

My favorite games in terms of their support systems have been 9, 12 and 13 because they were done at the base. If we could have a possible merge with 10's on that. I think it would work

Discuss

That will indeed be a nice addition in terms of making groups like DB or CRK to be more solid. For instance, I can even think of several characters being able to be in different support groups, like Micaiah and Sothe being able to group with Nolan, Edward and Leonardo or and even group with, say, just Laura, Ilyana and Aran. It is an interesting concept, though its appliance to the game should make it more diverse and balanced, because having Micaiah or Ike get support bonus from bunch of groups wouldn't be nice for chapters like 3-7, 3-13 and 3-E.

That will indeed be a nice addition in terms of making groups like DB or CRK to be more solid. For instance, I can even think of several characters being able to be in different support groups, like Micaiah and Sothe being able to group with Nolan, Edward and Leonardo or and even group with, say, just Laura, Ilyana and Aran. It is an interesting concept, though its appliance to the game should make it more diverse and balanced, because having Micaiah or Ike get support bonus from bunch of groups wouldn't be nice for chapters like 3-7, 3-13 and 3-E.

It would end up kind of like The Jugdral leadership stars.. Hmm maybe a tad too broken.

My wording was also a tad off, I ment you could do the FE10 style supports in their established groups, not like a GROUP support. Which would also be interesting now I think of it

Oh, now I get it. Fe10 would just need authentic dialogue between units, then.

Yes that's what I was trying to word.. think I did horribly.

To my mind the support conversattions in FE10 only have a strategical factor. They're are marginally changed, if these units have an A-support in FE9. Though most of them are still boring and vacuous. However I can deal with it, because I favour the strategical aspect over the context of these conversations. For example an earth-earth-support for free is really nice.

In general I like the system with the affinities, how they exist in FE6-10. Moreover I like the feature in the Judgral-series that you get an item, weapon or skill.

If these features could be added together, the support system would be probably perfect for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I would have rather RD had PoR's support system. It might have allowed for more paired endings as well as deeper characters again. And anyone would agree that RD lacked many paired endings compared to previous games. PoR also had a lot of cut supports from what I hear, so if developers give themselves the time, they could still get in a lot of supports while making them worth reading at the same time.

Being able to support anyone with anyone is nice, but it's just not worth it if you have to constantly sit through boring conversations all the time.

^ that exactly is why I figured a small cast that can all support each other with unique dialog would work wonders with not only freedom but also more paired endings.

Edited by JediSwordSaint

^ that exactly is why I figured a small cast that can all support each other with unique dialog would work wonders with not only freedom but also more paired endings.

Except Awakening has a small cast and a similar thing where almost everyone can support with almost everyone. And it still didn't work. People generally agree that the supports weren't that great.

Except Awakening has a small cast and a similar thing where almost everyone can support with almost everyone. And it still didn't work. People generally agree that the supports weren't that great.

I don't agree with that view at all. I thought they were generally pretty good, people here just bash everything awakening because it'd a newer, popular game and they want to be on a high horse (some do have logical complaints but those are few and far in between imo)

I don't agree with that view at all. I thought they were generally pretty good, people here just bash everything awakening because it'd a newer, popular game and they want to be on a high horse (some do have logical complaints but those are few and far in between imo)

Well, I think you're in the minority here then. I myself only really enjoyed a few supports in the game. Otherwise, they were either boring or just okay.

Well, I think you're in the minority here then. I myself only really enjoyed a few supports in the game. Otherwise, they were either boring or just okay.

I may be, but I'm not a jaded ass lol. I do respect that opinion of yours though, different stokes for different folks after all

I may be, but I'm not a jaded ass lol. I do respect that opinion of yours though, different stokes for different folks after all

I didn't mean to call you anything of the sort, but my bad if it seemed like it. xP And yes, that's true.

I pity the poor guy who has to write these supports, and the poor guy who has to translate them into various languages.

Oh, and for the record, I absolutely hate PoR's support system, and wish instead that it had RD's support system (I should point out that I only care about the support bonuses, not the irrelevant crap that passes for PoR's support conversations.).

Whaaat. PoR's supports gave some of the best character development in the game, like Jill and Lethe! :( I wouldn't call that irrelevant. It made the story better and more entertaining, and thus the game more entertaining. Imo, anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

i used to say the perfect support system is have everybody able to support everybody, with real support conversations for the real support pairs like you'd have for any fe and have all the non-real pairs get the same bonuses mechanically and just have filler conversations like fe10.

i can't even think in fe10 terms cause it's been so long, but something like ike gets real fe9-style support conversations with more of the gm, elincia, ...ranulf, ...some other guy he has some reason to talk to, but he can still support with anybody else in the army instead for the same bonuses and just get a generic conversation out of it.

tbh i think the awakening support system is better for not having an arbitrary limit on how many people you can support, maybe balance that out with a sort of support decay - support anyone with anyone, but if the two dudes stop hanging out they slowly lose their bonuses.

EDIT: also lol you guys how are you still surprised by ninjamonkey having bad opinions about any/everything?

Edited by Integrity

It didn't work because the writing was bad, not because the mechanic was unsound.

For what it's worth, I think FE8 edges out FE9 in terms of support writing, though FE9 is far from bad from a series standpoint.

Edited by Siuloir

It didn't work because the writing was bad, not because the mechanic was unsound.

And that could be because they had a lot of conversations to write and a limited time to do it in. They had to devote less time to them as a result.

For what it's worth, I think FE8 edges out FE9 in terms of support writing, though FE9 is far from bad from a series standpoint.

Ah the first person on a high horse has arrived. I'm honestly not sure how the writing is bad just because it isn't your no flaw fe8 writing (which honestly I'm not sure why it gets the praise it does)