This is what I think(theory involving branded kids, spoilers)

Dragoncat

The Branded don't necessarily have a weird relationship with magic; Stefan and Zelgius certainly don't. I was under the impression that being a Branded just makes you better at whatever skills you have, be it magic or swordsmanship; and that it doesn't give you any special tome or staff-wielding abilities that you wouldn't have had anyway.

Galdr-based magic, such as Micaiah's Sacrifice ability, would be another matter.

Soren's tactical intellect is also a result of his Brand. Dragon laguz blood grants more intelligence from what I read. I'm also willing to bet that Petrine is a heron Branded because of her magic stat. Herons grant magic since Micaiah has a lot of magic.

Edited by Anacybele

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also willing to bet that Petrine is a heron Branded because of her magic stat.

I remember hearing she was beast tribe branded...don't remember where, and it mightve just been a random guess. But that would work if she had good speed like cats...I don't remember which of her stats was the best.

I thought he inherited that from Ashnard. At least, Ashnard was considered a military genius too.

I'm more willing to bet otherwise. Ashnard never interacted with him, and usually when you see family lines with a certain talent, it's because they were taught by their elders, not born with it. Might not always be the case though...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought she was raven-branded...

Anyways, what I meant is... well...

Imagine that there are two different 'kinds' of magic. There is the normal magic that the Beorc wield, and also the magic for Laguz which they use to transform and everything. Normally they remain separate but, when a baby branded is made, it messes up the two 'kinds' and they get 'mixed' (which is why branded tend to have higher stats in a certain, related, area) with the beorc magic 'winning' but having notably changed enough so that they aren't quite beorc anymore.

Course, this would explain why branded can't transform (their magic is mixed) and why a mother of a branded can't transform (her magic is mixed as well due to carrying the baby), but doesn't explain why the father can't transform as a result, especially since *technically* he's not even required to... ummm... actually 'be with' the mother to have a baby.

I always assumed it was generally agreed upon that Petrine had Raven Laguz blood, Zelgius Hawk Laguz, and Amy Cat/Tiger Laguz.

Although one can only imply such things given the lack of official explanation.

I always assumed it was generally agreed upon that Petrine had Raven Laguz blood, Zelgius Hawk Laguz, and Amy Cat/Tiger Laguz.

Although one can only imply such things given the lack of official explanation.

I always thought people assumed Zelgius is of raven decent given his hair.

Soren's tactical intellect is also a result of his Brand. Dragon laguz blood grants more intelligence from what I read. I'm also willing to bet that Petrine is a heron Branded because of her magic stat. Herons grant magic since Micaiah has a lot of magic.

I don't think Soren got his tactical intelligence from his dragon blood because the black dragons don't really seem to be that smart....