How did Gawain become so godly?

Sentacotus

This idea came from another thread. So I've been thinking about this but if you think about it we are essentially told that Griel/Gawain is an all powerful warrior bar none and the best swordsmand in all of Tellius even being so legendary that some like Zelgius (a skilled swordsman himself) refer to him as unbeatable before severing his tendons (and even then he's still a threat). I mean sure the guy's gotta be naturally talented but lets face it people don't start off like that. Every legend has a teacher and every story has a begining. He obviously had to train an obscene amount and have a damn good teacher (possibly his father?) to show him the ropes. I think itd be awesome if a little backstory went into Gawain's past but since that'll never happen lets discuss.

Edited by LordTaco42

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everything but you gotta admit it would be pretty cool. Kinda like finding out how Batman became well Batman.

How did Batman become Batman, anyway?

I think Greil could've had an average teacher, but decided to be the best out of the simple thing of being. And that takes no grand motivation behind it, other than just wanting to be and anchieving it. He didn't mention any family legacy of sorts, regarding to the whole sword-fighting stuff.

How did Batman become Batman, anyway?

I think Greil could've had an average teacher, but decided to be the best out of the simple thing of being. And that takes no grand motivation behind it, other than just wanting to be and anchieving it. He didn't mention any family legacy of sorts, regarding to the whole sword-fighting stuff.

Long story short witnesses both his parents getting murdered on a night out to the cinema and at 14 travels the world training to fight crime.

I mean sure fair enough but even then he's got like a legendary status of being the literal best borderline invincible. I just really like him as a character and itd be cool to see where he kinda came from.

Edited by LordTaco42

Well he was a general at one point. So I guess...how do most generals become such fierce warriors?

He likely started as a recruit and worked his way up. Lots of training and practicing. I'd like to know if he went out and joined the military just because or there was a draft of some sort.

Would be nice to learn the answers to these questions. But I guess that's what fanfic is for.

Fanfic doesn't answer anything, it just creates questions to questions of things that aren't even real.

That really depends. If the author sucks at it, yes. If they're a decent enough writer, no. Not all fanfic is badly written smut and high school AU and stuff like that.

If somebody wanted to write some more backstory for Greil, I wouldn't shoot them down...I'd probably even read it.

While I don't think fanfic is a legitimate base to argue off of (lets face it its called fan fiction for a reason) it is still is cool to see people willing to try to expand on the story and come up with explanations/theories of what COULD have happened. Again its all how you look at it.

My theory on Gawain was that perhaps he was told or somehow a prophecy told him that he would his wife would die and he would die at the hands of his pupil so he trained and became as powerful as possible to prevent it from happening. Well if anything its an idea or even dare I say a theory? A GAMETHEORY?

No? Ok I had to try it on.

I'm not implying bad writing, even. As good as the writing may be, it's still not the real story, even by fictional standards. It's just something a fan has made up.

While it's true that it's not canon...

it is still is cool to see people willing to try to expand on the story and come up with explanations/theories of what COULD have happened. Again its all how you look at it.

This.

And idk about the prophecy thing. It sounds...meh. But it is a theory...

While I don't think fanfic is a legitimate base to argue off of (lets face it its called fan fiction for a reason) it is still is cool to see people willing to try to expand on the story and come up with explanations/theories of what COULD have happened. Again its all how you look at it.

My theory on Gawain was that perhaps he was told or somehow a prophecy told him that he would his wife would die and he would die at the hands of his pupil so he trained and became as powerful as possible to prevent it from happening. Well if anything its an idea or even dare I say a theory? A GAMETHEORY?

No? Ok I had to try it on.

I thought that would be awesome, but it doesn't sound incredibly likely.

He just is. The usual explanation for obscenely powerful beings in Tellius is Branded or "Goddess did it", isn't it?

Haha that's it in a nutshell...I doubt Greil or any of his kin are branded though.

One thing I don't really get: Greil and Elena stayed in Gallia for a bit. Ike and Mist were born there, and lived there when they were real little. But they're beorc...Gallia is the home of the beast laguz. You don't see any beorc in the Gallian military. In PoR you have racism going both ways, although more one way...but you'd think Greil and Elena would want to raise their kids among their own kind. Before they start wondering why they can't turn into felines/don't have the cat ears and tails. How long did they stay there anyway...

I didn't think there was much more worth going into. He was a soldier. When you're in a position like that, it behooves you to get really crazy good, and Greil just happened to be one of the freak cases that was capable of becoming that good. Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in some backstory, but more for other characters, like Bryce and Tauroneo and Lanvega (for some reason I've always imagined as a halberdier).

As for training, everyone calls the style Greil's or Gawain's, so I don't think anyone taught him it. He probably learned a basic style, maybe one similar to his, and then incorporated other influences and adapted it to improve, same way Zelgius and Ike did, just they had a better base. Styles have to start somewhere.

For Gallia, he was trying to hide. What better place to hide from Daein than in a Laguz kingdom on the other side of the continent? As for staying there, I don't think that would have been a huge concern. Gallia had contact with Crimea—it's how Titania met Greil—and explaining the difference between Laguz and Beorc doesn't seem like something that would have troubled Greil. He probably just never did it because it never came up before. It wouldn't really be any different than explaining the difference between boys and girls to a child.

Tauroneo calls Lanvega a swordsman, so I bet he was of the myrmidon/swordmaster class.

And I understand the thing with Gallia now, thanks. Explaining laguz/beorc would be easy, but what about if they asked "Daddy, why do we live in a laguz place?" Then he'd have to try to explain why they were hiding from Daein. And no way of doing that without scaring the poor little things half to death. And he obviously never did, considering Ike not knowing what the medallion really was until after Greil died/finding out elsewhere.

I kind of question Lavenga's skills seeing how his daughter turns out lol.

IKR?

Maybe he didn't train her as much as Greil trained Ike. And even then, he was a swordmaster, she's a cavalier. Big difference there. But anyway that would say something about him, if he's not willing to teach his kid how to fight/be good at it I get the impression that he was kind of a dick. Maybe she's a bastard child, who knows.

Easy there. He could just be the type who didn't want his child to get involved in violence. If you ever get the opportunity, check out Gregor's conversation with Kjelle I'm the Future Past 1 script to see what I mean.

Easy there. He could just be the type who didn't want his child to get involved in violence. If you ever get the opportunity, check out Gregor's conversation with Kjelle I'm the Future Past 1 script to see what I mean.

That's a possibility too.