How did Gawain become so godly?

Sentacotus

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it doesn't really matter in the end but it does raise the question how good he really was. Its safe to assume out of the four riders from his time he was the best (doesn't exactly have stiff competition) but still when Ike faced the BK at the end of RD Zelgius said that he saw the shadow of Griel fighting so I guess its safe to assume by that point in time RD Ike is as strong if not slightly stronger than his father was before severing his tendons?

Forget combat proficiency, Greil's truly celestial skills lie in his hearing capabilities. I mean, recognizing Zelgius' voice through that filter kind of speaks for itself.

Maybe he knew about Zelgius' alter ego too? Idk...

In that PoR cutscene I recall BK sounding kinda raspy like a heavy smoker, Zelgius in the RD cutscenes doesnt. Might be because they used different voice actors, did they though?

If he was so "godly", then why did he die? :smug: Are you going to tell me he "wasn't going serious", when his life was at risk with his son standing right there?

If he was so "godly", then why did he die? :smug: Are you going to tell me he "wasn't going serious", when his life was at risk with his son standing right there?

That's the question of the century...

He seemed at peace when he went though. Like he knew he was going to see his wife again and she'd forgiven him.

But I can't really think of a reason other than he had to be killed off for an incentive for Ike to get stronger/plot stuffs.

He sliced the tendons in his arm then so he couldn't wield a sword after he accidently killed his wife after he touched Lehran's medallion. That's why he tossed Ragnell back at the BK when offered it to him. Up to that point he was practically invincible he also hired Volke to assainate him if the same thing happened again (that's his "secret" by the way). Plus he is significantly older at that point too.

Edited by LordTaco42

He was going as serious as he possibly could. Unfortunately, Greil was fighting with Weapon Triangle Disadvantage.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it wouldn't have mattered against the Black Knight's hacked armour of imperviousness. Gawain's only chance of winning was to take up Ragnell.

Although... now that I'm thinking about it, since it was a real technique to turn a large sword around and use it an impromptu warhammer, I've got this image in my head of Gawain doing that with Ragnell. I mean, the whole sword was blessed, hilt and all, so it'd totally work, right? >.>

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda irrelevant, but don't forget to take a look at Greil's stats, caps and growths in the extra data:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/characters/npc-data/

My guess is that he was gonna actually show up on the battlefield with non-training stats at one point in the game's development. Same caps as Ike but as a hero he also has access to axes.

I noticed that Axe!Vanguard's map model is the same as Greil in PoR. Axe!Vanguard also has Urvan as the display weapon too. They really were pushing the whole Ike becoming Greil thing.

Yeah I think that's essentially what RD shows. Ike becoming and being the hero/leader he needed to be. Even the BK at the end comments how at that point he and Greil were so similar and identical in skill.

Gawain created the best form of swordsmanship style ever, he teached it to the Black Knight and Ike, the strongest guys in Tellius. Apparently, he could also use Aether. I'm almost sure that, if he did used Ragnell, he would've won, hand screwed up or not.

Normally to be that god-like, you got to be a branded, not some puny Beorc. Just saying, but that would cast a whole new light on him. And since we don't know much about the branded, or even about Greil and his wife anyways...

EDIT: inb4Ikeisabranded. Though maybe it is the case, that would, again, cast a new light on the whole affair.

Edited by B.Leu

Not that it matters but if he were branded then it would of been revealed in the story relatively early I mean we find out about Micaiah at the end of part 1 in RD and Soren in his supports in PoR. I figure maybe that's just what makes him that good is that he has the best swordsmanship through his own grit and training.

Well like I said, we know next to nothing about the branded, they're the ultra-super-secret of the tellius series. To the point where almost nothing is done with them. GG IS.

No matter how many shonen will tell you otherwise, you just can't be god-like like Stefan or BK with only training, especially in Tellius, where magic-users have somekind of limitation in the lore, where at one point, they just can't be stronger. (Tormod/Calill support.)

I suppose its just that the Tellius games makes being branded a huge deal with the characters that are branded. With Ike and Greil to some extent being main characters it just seems that if they were branded they would have revealed that in the plot at some point. I mean it is possible to be just that good and improve with training. A real world example like someone mentioned above would be a guy like Bruce Lee. The guy was human like anyone else but was both naturally good at what he did and trained his ass off to achieve superhuman feats and even he had a teacher.

I'm not discounting the possibility that they could have been branded as nearly everyone in the story who is branded is naturally a savont at their craft but I'm just saying that if they were given how the Tellius games make such a huge deal about being branded it would be nonsensical for them not to reveal that in the plot.

Edited by LordTaco42