How did Gawain become so godly?

Sentacotus

The branded aren't really a big deal though. I wish it was something that was expanded on more.

Still I doubt Ike is branded because then the Laguz would be uncomfortable around him. No way would Greil be able to live in Gallia as a branded.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greil's family is just weirdly blessed. Mist and Elena don't have Heron blood, but they were able to handle the medallion. And Black Knight's brand was supposedly explaining how he was able to move so fast in that heavy suit of armor (though in hindsight guys like Gatrie have no problem reaching those stats), but didn't make him better than Greil or Ike.

Soren's a branded, yet, no Laguz is ever shown to be uncomfortable arround him. Tibarn even call him just a child.

It doesn't help that we don't know what most characters really thought about the Branded.

While I do love my 'Ike and Greil are branded' theory And the Ike/Soren shippers shoud love it, maybe they have just some sort of branded blood somewhere, like, enough to have branded powers, but not enough to actually be branded.

Wait, both Ike and Greil touched Lehran's medaillion, no ? Maybe they got their powers because of it, the swordman style being something Greil did on his own, and Mist didn't get any special power because she is just too heron-like for the medaillon to affect her in any way ?

After all, Ashnard did get even more powerful after touching it.

Edited by B.Leu

Soren's a branded, yet, no Laguz is ever shown to be uncomfortable arround him. Tibarn even call him just a child.

It doesn't help that we don't know what most characters really thought about the Branded.

That's one of the reasons I stopped liking his character.

Stefan and Mordecai's support shows the laguz do hate the branded before RD. Plus, it's sort of pieced together that it's Soren's whole reason for openly provoking Mordecai and Lethe when they first meet (which was pretty dumb for someone who's supposed to be a tactician).

I did some research as in, read some support, notably Stefan/Mordecai, and apparently, this whole Laguz can detect branded wasn't in PoR at all.

But yeah, be it in PoR or RD, it's stated that both Laguz and Beorc hate the Branded, the Beorc fear them, while the Laguz doesn't even want to acknowledge their existence. Not surprising to see Soren reacting like that. He take after his mom after all.

Was the laguz hating the branded something that was added in RD?

No, Stefan comments on it in his supports with Mordecai in PoR too.

And no, there isn't anything in PoR about the Branded putting the Laguz on tilt, unless maybe that's how Lethe or Mordecai spotted Stefan. The only Laguz who seemed to be able to sense that Soren was Branded was Nasir.

Anyway, back to Gawain. Even in the most peaceful times, there's still SOME fighting going on, even if it's only practice or play. Gawain could have gotten a reputation as the strongest swordsman in Tellius by fighting in arenas, perhaps.

Edited by Paper Jam

It's all hype. Greil was pretty good but nowhere near invincible. Zelguis just built him up unnaturally high in his memory because of Hero Worship.

Edited by Jotari

And even then, he refused to use Ragnell, wonder why, didn't he knew about it and the BK's armor being blessed ? Apparently, Ragnell was his sword in his time at Daein. And he just rushed like that with Urvan ?
If he really didn't know, and if the BK really wanted Greil to be full badass mode, he could have just explained everything to him.

Questions, questions. :/

I don't remember anything about that?

Ah, Indeed, I'm looking at it now, and there is nothing about it. My bad. I'm sorry.

Ignore the part where I wondered why Greil was clueless.

Pretty sure Greil never wielded Ragnell. As far as him throwing away the sword even knowing that the BK's armor was blessed probably has more to do with him not being able to use it in the first place with his tendons severed like they were.

It's all hype. Greil was pretty good but nowhere near invincible. Zelguis just built him up unnaturally high in his memory because of Hero Worship.

I don't know about that. While it did sound like there might have been some hero worshipping going on (which would explain why Zelgius didn't dick around after Greil boasted that he could win with Urvan), there's plenty of evidence to show that Greil in his prime would have bordered on invincible.

From the script on this site, we have:

Volke

Your father was one of the preeminent swordsmen of his generation. That day, after he touched the medallion...Twenty soldiers had come for him. Twenty highly trained killers. Your father barely broke a sweat cutting them down. Then he began attacking his neighbors, those who had taken him in, concealed his identity, and called him friend. He slew them one by one, until your mother rushed in...thinking only to save her husband from himself.

Volke

It was over in an instant. Your mother grabbed the medallion from his hand and stepped away from him...They say she smiled as he pulled his sword from her breast and forgave him as her life's blood spilled into the street.

Ike

My father...killed my mother? No. That can't be...

Volke

It was the medallion. Its power is too great for any man. Even one of your father's caliber. Me? You? If either of us touched it, I'm certain that we both would have been consumed by madness. When your father regained his senses, he tracked me down. It seems he'd heard rumors of me some time before. He said he had need of someone like me: closemouthed, skilled, and most importantly, willing to do any sort of work. Of course, after hearing what he wanted me to do, I turned him down. Greil was once a famed general... He was Sir Gawain, one of Daein's Four Riders, and I recognized him at once.

There was no chance someone like me would ever be able to stop him.

Ike

But you took the job anyway...Why did you change your mind?

Volke

Greil had lost his wife, and his grief was overpowering. To keep anything like that from happening again, he crippled himself. He slashed the tendons in his sword hand so that he could not wield a sword again. I took the job only because he had become someone my skill could handle. And even then, he was still far stronger than most men...

Twenty highly-trained killers without breaking a sweat. Now, some of that would have been the medallion, but consider that it doesn't actually make Berserk Ashnard that much stronger than normal Ashnard. It's quite likely that, even without the medallion, those twenty would still have been woefully insufficient.

Also consider that Volke has a reputation as a highly-skilled assassin. He turned Greil down because he know Greil was that far above him. It took Greil crippling himself so he could never properly use a sword again for Volke to consider Greil within reach (but still far ahead).

On top of that, early in the game, crippled!Greil goes toe-to-toe with Petrine, one of the current Riders of Daein. She is, as of that moment, among the top five combatants in the Daein army. Even in his crippled state, one of the top five fighters in Daein is seen actively retreating from and calling him a demon. Greil in his prime would have been an absolute terror.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about that. While it did sound like there might have been some hero worshipping going on (which would explain why Zelgius didn't dick around after Greil boasted that he could win with Urvan), there's plenty of evidence to show that Greil in his prime would have bordered on invincible.

From the script on this site, we have:

Twenty highly-trained killers without breaking a sweat. Now, some of that would have been the medallion, but consider that it doesn't actually make Berserk Ashnard that much stronger than normal Ashnard. It's quite likely that, even without the medallion, those twenty would still have been woefully insufficient.

Also consider that Volke has a reputation as a highly-skilled assassin. He turned Greil down because he know Greil was that far above him. It took Greil crippling himself so he could never properly use a sword again for Volke to consider Greil within reach (but still far ahead).

On top of that, early in the game, crippled!Greil goes toe-to-toe with Petrine, one of the current Riders of Daein. She is, as of that moment, among the top five combatants in the Daein army. Even in his crippled state, one of the top five fighters in Daein is seen actively retreating from and calling him a demon. Greil in his prime would have been an absolute terror.

the game implies that the medallion doesn't really improve your skill all that much. i mean, at the very least Ashnard is particularly untroubled whether Petrine touches the medallion or not, since apparently he can kill her with little difficulty either way. all i can see it really do is remove all sorts of inhibitions and fears, which would make the berzerked fighter a bit more dangerous and wild. i mean, if you're berzerked to the point where you're not even considering death, you might do some crazy shit that you normally wouldn't do in your right mind.

the game implies that the medallion doesn't really improve your skill all that much. i mean, at the very least Ashnard is particularly untroubled whether Petrine touches the medallion or not, since apparently he can kill her with little difficulty either way. all i can see it really do is remove all sorts of inhibitions and fears, which would make the berzerked fighter a bit more dangerous and wild. i mean, if you're berzerked to the point where you're not even considering death, you might do some crazy shit that you normally wouldn't do in your right mind.

Ashnard's also arrogant and wouldn't have any reason to know the full powers of the medallion.

Ashnard gets a pretty decent boost to his str from going berserk. And something like 20 more HP.