Supports

Basically this thread is just me wondering how people usually build supports in this game. Unlike RD, once you build an A support, both characters are locked into it and can't A support with anyone else, and that has been frustrating for me.

I'm mainly wondering about Oscar and Ike, who have some pretty awesome avo supports.

Oscar can get Earth affinity in addition to his own from both Ike and Tanith. And then he can get some avo and attack from Kieran's wind affinity. I'm pretty sure these three are considered his best (and I'm not even sure if he has more options), so how do you choose who should be his A, B, and C? I'm guessing Kieran is ideal for A support because they share movement, and as good as the Earth affinity avo is, it's not really that necessary given how much he already has. Tanith for B, because their movement is still somewhat compatible.

That brings me to Ike He gets Avo from Oscar and Soren. If I keep the flow from what I said earlier, Oscar would be at C, leaving Soren for B or A. Who else is a good Ike support?

So those are just the two I had in mind right now, but if anyone had other supports that they find to be extremely nifty, I'd like to hear them, because otherwise the frigid support system doesn't give me enough room to really think about optimal supports.

I think Mist/Rolf are basically given a C support, but Titania is probably better for A, especially since she can't support other Paladins.

Marcia I'd probably do A/Tanith, B/Kieran, and C/Gatrie (which is really bad movement-wise, but the only other option is Rolf).

Edited by Radiant head

I don't really do much supports, but in general... Ilyana/Zihark is about the only one I do regularly.

Soren/Ike is fast and gives Soren a sweet Avo boost
Mist/Rolf because shipping.
Ilyana/Mia because Mgt.
Not much else tbh.

I never saw Ilyana/Mia as that good - neither one benefits much from it. Ditto Mist/Rolf - she has much better support options.

I think Mist/Rolf are basically given a C support, but Titania is probably better for A, especially since she can't support other Paladins.

Marcia I'd probably do A/Tanith, B/Kieran, and C/Gatrie (which is really bad movement-wise, but the only other option is Rolf).

See above on Mist/Rolf - Water/Wind is a pretty shitty affinity combo.

Yeah I don't really do supports either; I just randomly unlock conversations without knowing what I'm doing.

Also, Mia's supports are so bad. Illanya is the only one of her options that I bother deploying, so if there's no benefit to their support, then ugh. The only reason I even use Mia in this game is so I can boost her strength in RD.

Edited by Radiant head

I do Ike x Elincia for shipping, obviously. Oscar/Ike because amazing results. Kieran x Marcia because shipping and comedy relief. Kieran/Oscar because comedy relief lol. Rolf x Mist because shipping. Rhys x Titania because shipping. I used to read pretty much every support though, I enjoyed a lot of characters. I just prioritized certain ones, like the ones I just mentioned above.

Ike/Soren for avo boost for Soren and also it's my favorite of Ike's supports

Ike/Oscar for dat avo

Mist/Jill because that's really the only support left for Jill that is consistent for my teams. Once Mist promotes and if Jill is more grounded in a map, +3 def, +2 atk and +7 avo isn't... too bad, I guess. You can get to A real quick (by like chapter 19, I think)

Boyd/Mist because, again, consistent units. Also lolBoyd and his every support is Fire/Water except Titania

That's all for my consistent units. Though, funny enough, I have been thinking how many playthroughs it would take of the game to max out supports to transfer to RD. It would use many save files just so you don't have to replay from the beginning over and over...

Edited by Dual Dragons

Ike/Soren for avo boost for Soren and also it's my favorite of Ike's supports

Ike/Oscar for dat avo

Mist/Jill because that's really the only support left for Jill that is consistent for my teams. Once Mist promotes and if Jill is more grounded in a map, +3 def, +2 atk and +7 avo isn't... too bad, I guess. You can get to A real quick (by like chapter 19, I think)

Boyd/Mist because, again, consistent units. Also lolBoyd and his every support is Fire/Water except Titania

That's all for my consistent units. Though, funny enough, I have been thinking how many playthroughs it would take of the game to max out supports to transfer to RD. It would use many save files just so you don't have to replay from the beginning over and over...

I dunno. You have those like Ike/Reyson and Ike/Titania that require fielding the units in question for pretty much the entire game...

I just pick the supports I like between chars because most of the support bonuses that aren't avo related in this game are honestly pretty negligble considering forging exists and enemies are weak.

Yeah I don't really do supports either; I just randomly unlock conversations without knowing what I'm doing.

Also, Mia's supports are so bad. Illanya is the only one of her options that I bother deploying, so if there's no benefit to their support, then ugh. The only reason I even use Mia in this game is so I can boost her strength in RD.

Support options in this game are generally bad. For a relatively big cast, most characters have 3 or 4 options, while others have only 2. Some characters don't get viable options early on, no triangular supports outside of Ike/Lethe/Ranulf and Titania/Boyd/Mist, and perhaps the most stupid decision of all, you can't support between siblings.

Compared to the GBA games, Supports in this game feel awfully limited.

Edited by Jave

Support options in this game are generally bad. For a relatively big cast, most characters have 3 or 4 options, while others have only 2. Some characters don't get viable options early on, no triangular supports outside of Ike/Lethe/Ranulf, and perhaps the most stupid decision of all, you can't support between siblings.

Huh. I kinda agree, but on the other hand, unlocking supports in GBA was a serious pain in the ass... and... a... huge... bore....

Edited by Levant Caprice

I dunno. You have those like Ike/Reyson and Ike/Titania that require fielding the units in question for pretty much the entire game...

Oh yeah. I guess I did forget about Reyson. I listed Ike/Oscar because the avo is good despite not using Oscar much (I hope to remedy that). I do have Ike/Reyson more often though I prioritize Ike/Soren A because favoritism.

I actually don't field Titania that much after Chapter 11 out of preference. I know of her contribution beyond earlygame but I choose not to.

Support options in this game are generally bad. For a relatively big cast, most characters have 3 or 4 options, while others have only 2. Some characters don't get viable options early on, no triangular supports outside of Ike/Lethe/Ranulf, and perhaps the most stupid decision of all, you can't support between siblings.

At least there's the crit bonus for the siblings. The support bonuses in this game were downgraded from the GBA games but I think it's a compensation for how much easier this game's Difficult mode is compared to the GBAFE's hard modes.

Does Reyson actually dodge attacks with Ike support? Because heaven affinity doesn't sound terribly useful in PoR.

Reyson has fire affinity, not heaven.

Reyson has Fire, but it still doesn't add to his Avoid. He'll get +15 from Ike/Reyson A from Ike's Earth alone.

I mean, it'll add to his already Avoid-inclined stats and Ike can benefit from the +1 Atk. It's not like Ike really needs the accuracy boost because swords.

All Reyson is going to do is avoid combat. The avoid boost is only good if he somehow gets caught in the action.

Ike using all his support ranks guarantees him +25 Avoid if those people are around.

Titania (Light, but A rank you have to bring to all maps; B is gained at earliest by Chapter 13, I believe) - A = +1 def, +7 accuracy, +15 Avoid; B = +1 def, +5 accuracy, +10 Avoid

Oscar (Earth, A rank gained earliest at Chapter 14) - A = +30 Avoid; B = +20 Avoid

Soren (Darkness, A rank gained earliest at Chapter 25; B by Chapter 16) - A = +1 atk, +22 Avoid; B = +1 atk +15 avoid

Lethe (Heaven, A rank Chapter 25) - A = +15 accuracy, +15 Avoid; B = +10 accuracy, +10 Avoid

Reyson (Fire, A rank must bring to all chapters, B rank by Chapter 26) - A = +1 atk, +7 accuracy, +15 Avoid; B = +1 atk, +5 accuracy, +10 Avoid

Ranulf (Wind, A rank by Chapter 26) - A = +7 accuracy, +22 Avoid; B = +5 accuracy; +15 Avoid

Elincia (Heaven, bring to all available maps for A, Chapter 26 for B) - A = +15 accuracy, +15 avoid; B = +10 accuracy, +10 Avoid

Outside of Avoid, Ike's not going to benefit much from anyone because he's not going to need accuracy because of swords and the +1 atk or +1 def is rather negligible. I think it's just better that Ike actually has supports to benefit from. All he really needs is Avoid at the start.

It's just much easier to recommend Ike/Titania, /Oscar, /Soren, /Reyson because these are more likely candidates to stay in the team. From here, it's based on your playstyle.

Edit: Read your earlier post before your edited post. Bottom line: Reyson may not be worth it since the player is kind of expected to have Reyson stay out of combat. It's probably better to stick with /Titania, /Oscar, /Soren, depending on who you use or who's likely to be near Ike most of the time, which is up to playstyle.

Edited by Dual Dragons

Mist/Rolf because it should have happened in RD.

Mist/Jill because of insurance and support bonuses. (+3 Def? Yes please.) Haar/Jill and Mist/Titania would probably get B in this case, though.

Ike/Oscar and Oscar/Tanith because dat avoid boost. Oscar/Kieran gets a mention too.

Geoffrey/Elincia because shipping.

Astrid/Makalov (even though that pair can burn in Tartarus) and Haar/Makalov because of AVO boosts.

Everything else is pretty much in the air for me.

Mist/Rolf because it should have happened in RD.

Mist/Jill because of insurance and support bonuses. (+3 Def? Yes please.) Haar/Jill and Mist/Titania would probably get B in this case, though.

Ike/Oscar and Oscar/Tanith because dat avoid boost. Oscar/Kieran gets a mention too.

Geoffrey/Elincia because shipping.

Astrid/Makalov (even though that pair can burn in Tartarus) and Haar/Makalov because of AVO boosts.

Everything else is pretty much in the air for me.

Ehh? I'm not sure what you mean by insurance....

EDIT: As much as I dislike Astrid/Makalov, it's a pretty big step up when you consider that in RD, if you have her attack him, it's revealed that she was set to marry a certain Complete Monster of a Begnion senator...

Edited by Levant Caprice

Ike/Soren all day erry day. They make the best couple in the game <3

Geoffrey/Elincia Is also a favorite of mine~

Others include Marcia/Rolf, Mist/Boyd, and Astrid/Makalov, but the two above are the only ones I do just about every playthrough~