Shapeshifter predictions, and how do you want them to be utilized

boboliontamer

Hi, this is my first post so bear with me. I was wondering what you all think about what the new shapeshifter or laguz characters. Like what they will be and if they will add any new mechanics to them.

Personally, I'd appreciate it if shapeshifter units were somehow altered. In Awakening and other fe games previous to the Tellius games, Manaketes simply felt like another ordinary unit, who just happened to be really freaking good but locked into one item. You just send them in and they automatically transform, with no real weakness whatsoever. I know that seeing a return of a laguz-style system is unlikely, but it really helped these units seem special and stand out a bit. It added a lot to the strategy needed in each map, and I appreciate it for that. However, while I'd prefer a system similar to this to be used, it's very likely that the developers will just stick with the automatically transforming units. In this case, I'd like there to be some new stones or weapons the shapeshifters use, to give the player a greater ability to decide how they want to employ their units. Like a stone that has good power but reduced range, or a stone that runs on magic, or a stone with a greater hit/crit chance. Just some sort of variety so that they have some versatility.

Also, i'm assuming that the character standing above Kazahana on that first piece of gameplay in the trailer is the shapeshifter. I'm not entirely sure of what she'll be if this is true, but maybe a bear laguz or something like that will make sense.

Yeah Tiki could use multiple dragonstones in 11/12 IIRC. I like the idea of them elaborating on this with more variety. I wouldn't mind Tellius-style shapeshifters, didn't really like how laguz worked in PoR but I felt they were much improved in RD.

If there's Manaketes it would be a nice change if they didn't all look like little girls, we have enough of those already. If there's other races as well I'd like there to be a bigger difference gameplay-wise than there was between Manaketes and Taguel in Awakening.

I actually think that having a unit who could transform into multiple things would be pretty cool. Obviously they'd need some way to balance that but I'd be fine seeing that in the game.

Maybe if you want to change forms, they would have to transform back into their weak human state and wait a turn before being able to transform again. That way, there would be a time when the unit would be exposed to enemy attacks. Or you could only be in a specific form for x amount of turns in a row, and after the last turn they'd change back into a human and be vulnerable to attack

I think a shapeshifter that could take multiple forms could be interesting. Like cat form for fast offense, tiger is slow and bulky, hawk has lower stats but can fly etc.

I actually think that having a unit who could transform into multiple things would be pretty cool. Obviously they'd need some way to balance that but I'd be fine seeing that in the game.

Maybe if you want to change forms, they would have to transform back into their weak human state and wait a turn before being able to transform again. That way, there would be a time when the unit would be exposed to enemy attacks. Or you could only be in a specific form for x amount of turns in a row, and after the last turn they'd change back into a human and be vulnerable to attack

What if there was someone like Xane? In case anyone doesn't know him, he was in Marth's games and he could transform into any of your units, copying their stats.

Actually, seeing as monsters are back what if this character could turn into them somehow? Maybe monsters could drop some sort of shifting item that could be used to take their form for a chapter.

A character like Xane would be interesting.

Also one thing FE hasn't tried yet is Monster taming, maybe with the new creatures we could take an Ogre Battle style approach, any type of creature is recruit-able through random encounter means on the maps

To sort of combine the two ideas, what if there was a unit who could transform into monsters? Like becoming an Ogre or something like that

Huh, that would be quite interesting. A Druid class maybe?

I agree. I want laguz back!

This. The laguz are awesome. I've even come up with ideas for new types of laguz.

Fox - Basically the brave weapon equivalent for the laguz. They can attack four times in one go if they can double their target. And they're very fast. To balance this out though, they have the weakest strength.

Falcon - The bird equivalent to the wolf laguz. Whereas ravens are fast and hawks are a bit tanky, Falcons have the best skill. And I just like falcons mainly because of the badass character in Stuart Little 2. lol

Fairy Dragon - The healer equivalent for the laguz. It's also kind of inspired by the Ancient Fairy Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. These dragons look closer to Chinese dragons in design, but have butterfly-like wings whose magic can heal injuries. When they promote, however, these dragons can also attack, using a magic wind that also comes from their wings. No, Fairy Dragons aren't female-only, even if they tend to look feminine. :P Think of the male herons' majestic and graceful appearances. Though they would still look unique in their own way.

I'd love to see ideas like these. More Taguel too, because bunnies. <3

Huh, that would be quite interesting. A Druid class maybe?

Druid was the Shaman's promoted class in the GameBoy Advance games so I doubt we'll see that.

OT: What would be interesting is a unit that could control/summon different monsters, perhaps even equip them or have the monsters "evolve" based on certain conditions i.e. Defense being X amount upon reclassing, etc. Basically, use the template set by the Summoner in The Sacred Stones and expand upon it beyond "summon unit to die in a hit or two for easy exp."

Druid was the Shaman's promoted class in the GameBoy Advance games so I doubt we'll see that.

OT: What would be interesting is a unit that could control/summon different monsters, perhaps even equip them or have the monsters "evolve" based on certain conditions i.e. Defense being X amount upon reclassing, etc. Basically, use the template set by the Summoner in The Sacred Stones and expand upon it beyond "summon unit to die in a hit or two for easy exp."

Well heres the thing, Shaman's advanced class is now Sorcerer, it wouldn't be difficult to just add a Druid class now.

Edited by Jedi

how about you go halvsies with tellius and awakening. You make them transform before combat(no gauge

),weapons are claws fangs and beaks that increase in damage with rank, and stones are an optional low use stats buff(uses go down per hit), except that your units get tired in x number of turns. the turn after x number they lose 3-5 to all stats, and every turn afterwards they keep losing stats until they revert to "take a break for a turn".

alternatively, instead of a stats buff, the stones could just give the effect of reverting for a turn without actually reverting(used as an item)

I'm not sure why people think that a unit that can transform into multiple forms is OP considering this is basically every unit in FE11/FE12, with the restriction of not being able to "transform" in the middle of chapters.

I'm not sure why people think that a unit that can transform into multiple forms is OP considering this is basically every unit in FE11/FE12, with the restriction of not being able to "transform" in the middle of chapters.

OP.. *pffffft* ahahaha.

I thought the general consensus was that non-royal laguz kinda suck?

Using only laguz to beat the games of the tellius series is considered a serious challenge.

Manaketes and taguel are far from OP as well, terribly useless skills, i know manaketes are decent tanks, but i have no use for taguels(unless I had a serious issue with mounted units).

Edited by Masadeer

It would be pretty neat to have WoW style Druids that can shapeshift into multiple forms. Plus, it's mentioned that other taguel can change into animals besides rabbits so there is precedence for a variety of forms.

The way I'd implement the system is to give them different beast stones for different forms and have them take a turn to change form. Keep the weapon damage tied to weapon rank as it's done in Tellius.

I want it to be an improved version of FE3's take, wherein transforming made you effectively a different unit for indeterminable periods of time (although hopefully with a little less indeterminable because that was dumb and stupid and not worth it).

Another thing I'd like to see is an enemy who uses shapeshifters themselves. it was one of the things I really liked from the Tellius games, because you had to go through the map with an entirely different strategy in mind.

Also, if there are multiple animal forms, what animals do you think will be included? I'm thinking that they would probably bring back hawks and maybe tigers. I think they'd need at least one flier, a bulky form, a fast weak form, and a physically strong form. It'd also be cool if they could transform into a monster or two. Or they could only transform into monsters, but get multiple forms of monsters. That'd be interesting to see

Another thing I'd like to see is an enemy who uses shapeshifters themselves. it was one of the things I really liked from the Tellius games, because you had to go through the map with an entirely different strategy in mind.

Also, if there are multiple animal forms, what animals do you think will be included? I'm thinking that they would probably bring back hawks and maybe tigers. I think they'd need at least one flier, a bulky form, a fast weak form, and a physically strong form. It'd also be cool if they could transform into a monster or two. Or they could only transform into monsters, but get multiple forms of monsters. That'd be interesting to see

I do miss the laguz. I think I'd like to see wolves, though, because awesomeness.

Taguel were never that useful for me.

I'd like to see a difference between nocturnal and diurnal animals. With nocturnal animals being weak to light magic(and every other type of magic in the magic triangle beating light except dark. I always thought that light users in tellius would have gotten the short end of the stick, if only micaiah couldn't be turned into a long range ohko unit*see below*, and if laura didn't have such insane growths *master seal @ level 10*)

I want to see Hawks, falcons(subset of hawks. more speed, less str), Ravens, and owls(friendly with the ravens.) Hawks and falcons being weak to only wind, but ravens and owls having higher crit and also weak to light(owls being slower than ravens, but higher hp. Think Naesala tank ver).

I don't really care about land animals that much, I like what they have going on, (except for taguels.....).

I'd be intersted in see reptile type shapeshifters, weak to ice maybe?

As far as I remember though, Cat laguz suck. Badly. Except for ranulf, but I never used him. To compensate for their terrible stats, I'd like to have their claw Mt Increased by a couple points, and once they get past rank A(or whatever their second highest rank is) they gain a brave weapon effect.

*for those interested in making micaiah extremely dangerous at long range, use wrath, resolve, blessed purge tome, and sacrifice(to lower your hp below the threshold from behind the backs of your tougher units)*

Edited by Masadeer

I love the beast units of previous games, and I'd love to see some laguz or taguel coming back. I def like the idea from the OP about different types of stones to effect their transformation. And I agree that woman in the trailer looked like a beast, but I'm guessing she's another bunny taguel, since it looked like she had bunny ears and her sprite kinda reminded me of Panne's.

And I agree that woman in the trailer looked like a beast, but I'm guessing she's another bunny taguel, since it looked like she had bunny ears and her sprite kinda reminded me of Panne's.

DON'T SAY IT THERE'S STILL HOPE!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but taguel would be fine.