Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that, but I really don't like holding these off for long. I know there are people eagerly waiting for these, and I'm eager to get them done and stop worrying about it...

Man. I really, really hope the other submissions aren't this much of an editing nightmare.

That's the true ragey part of this submission.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I use avisynth for editing, and Virtual Dub + SCFH DSF for recording... I'm not going to say Avisynth is superior to an actual video editing program, but basically, it's a scripting language. You write instructions on what to do with the footage, run it through virtual dub, then render it. Since you're writing the edits in notepad, there's no risk of crashing or losing footage, and it's actually super efficient.

Really, what's making it take so long for me to edit the bloody video (Which is now at 54 minutes JUST for Part 1) is that the submission DOES NOT lend itself well to being recorded blind. It's designed in such a way that every move you make has purpose and can completely change the outcome of the map. Doing actions A and B will put you in situation C, and actions D and E put you in situation F. It's not like most submissions where I just need to make minor adjustments to my strategy. In this hack, the winning strategy for part 1 that allows me to beat part 2 is COMPLETELY different from the initial strategy I used to beat part 1 for the first time.

I have to somehow show my learning process, my blind reactions, the occasional amusing line here and there, my first victory in part 1, show each step I did differently to get further, then I have to show what I did differently in part 1 that allows me to beat part 2. At the same time, I have to show consistent amounts of progress, AND I want to make the footage a reasonable length so that it remains interesting throughout, and is fun to go back to and rewatch every now and then unlike, say, Marc's Special Day, which in hindsight has a buttload of clips I feel I should have scrapped, making it a situation where I'm constantly skipping ahead to see the good parts.

With this whole bloody essay I wrote up, I hope you can imagine what a nightmare it is to edit this thing.

... With that said, I'm heading to bed. Perhaps tomorrow, I will have a clear mind and know better how to approach this. That's what happened with Emblem Warriors.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I managed to cut an hour and 18 minutes worth of footage down to 37 minutes. All that needs doing now is the rendering...

This is ONLY for Part 1 of the map, mind you. We still have roughly forty minutes of footage left to edit.

I'm pretty happy with this end result though, and I have a little deleted scene that will be uploaded as Part 1a, or Part X... or something.

It features a surprise guest appearance.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

This is the single funniest intro to a hack I have ever seen. This entire scene may just win Ragefest, not even joking. The comedic writing is on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL. Sqawl really outdid himself with it.

I haven't even seen the rest yet, but I just wanted to say that.

That was gold. Seriously, it's probably the hardest and longest I've laughed all year. I've gotta thank you for that, Marc.

Funny enough, the crowning moment of hilarity for me was the fact that you thought the Nuggets were gold nuggets and not chicken nuggets.

A close second place, however, is........ dammit I'm watching it again. THERE'S TOO MUCH.

Also, re: the spelling of my moniker, people have spelled it "Sqwаl" time after time after time again. You'd be surprised. Sqowl's a new one, though. Must be my secret owl transformation.

@Nintales: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. HMHMHMHAHA...

@Klok: I knew what it was going to be about as soon as I started making it. I think I actually got to work on that beginning scene the week after my birthday, which is why cake (and not, say, a certain other baked good) was fresh in my mind. Of course, the project beyond the opening cutscene was entirely different until a week before the deadline, so maybe that's better off going unmentioned. I'm certainly a lot happier with the small map I ended up with rather than the stereotypically-large one that was originally planned.

[spoiler=Context for the beginning of the video]

I used to be an admin of the Emblem Brigade, which I'm pretty sure (haven't checked it for a while) is pretty dead (unfortunately) nowadays. Even after not having any posts there for quite some time, it seems my reputation as a member there was so much a part of "me" that it's still gonna be haunting me for quite some time yet. TEB Hackaround was the old, terrible version of KelssFE, which I billed as a community project even though it was anything but (it was more or less a denial of the foregone conclusion that TEB wasn't making any homegrown FE-related stuff after Cedar became rightfully too busy with real life to be making fake Fire Emblem games). I don't particularly like cookies (I love baking and eating them in real life, but the love ends there) and fourth wall-breaking, and Project Z (which I had almost nothing to do with aside from being put in as a character in one of the last versions) was so old by the time that I was around TEB that I felt it needed a new project (that wasn't a self-insert zombie game) to represent its newer users. That turned out poorly and to be a mediocre product, so I shuttered the project and vowed to bring it back as a solo project one day wherein all of its problems (namely the boring gameplay, head-scratch-worthy story, lackluster graphics, lack of interesting characters, and lack of non-vanilla music) would be addressed. So, um... that's the origin story of KelssFE. Crap how can I tie this back in to Ragefest?

Edit: also, I'd like to point out that the music track that plays while notMarc is trashing Hackaround is called "Shocking Truth". Oh, yes.

Also, the Regent guy talking to me from behind the door in the beginning scene is NamelessRegent from FEU if anyone was wondering. We couldn't finish his FE-style portrait quickly enough for him to appear as a unit in the game.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Marc animation is free for use by anyone. It's included with the patch download for when I release the public release sometime in the next few weeks.

Edited by Alusq

As much as I love the intro to Trapped In Painful Places, I'd... uh... like you guys to reserve judgement until the end of the submission. There's still some great stuff in part 2, but um... let's just say it kind of makes the overall quality of the submission's gameplay... much, much lower. >_<

*sees the outro*

f8cIDfd.jpg

dude I have been there, I myself didn't realize how much marc's comment about me being slow in making submissions pissed me off until I was making moneyfest (don't worry marc I think we know you meant no harm in your honesty)

Take this feel hug as I go back to watching

Perhaps-shockingly, EEW was right. The northernmost bunny is the only one who does not actually have bunny ears. Go bake him an evil Eggo waffle for that or something.

As much as I love the intro to Trapped In Painful Places, I'd... uh... like you guys to reserve judgement until the end of the submission. There's still some great stuff in part 2, but um... let's just say it kind of makes the overall quality of the submission's gameplay... much, much lower. >_<

Eager for the fans' playful laughter to turn to maniacal laughter, I see

[doublestrikethrough]He is serious though guys[/doublestrikethrough]

One day, meaning maybe probably never, I might try and actually make a ragefest submission. This year does not contain that day.

It's been quite a while since I've watched these videos...good to get back in the swing of things, I suppose.

Alright guys... I've come across a tough decision, and I want to know your input.

I have to be straight up about this... Part 2 of the submission is bad. Like. Colossally bad. I don't know if massive editing and cutting is really gonna make the footage watchable, and I'm considering doing post production commentary on it. What do you guys think I should do?