Analysis and speculation of character personalities

Is it just me or Male!Kamui and Female!Kamui seem to have different personalities? Judging from their portraits and official art, Male!Kamui seems to be more serious and composed while Female!Kamui seems to be more goofy and fun-loving. I could be grasping straws here but this what I'm getting vibes from.

Persona 3 did this in the PSP version. For those of you who haven't played the game, you could initially only play as a very distant silent male protagonist, whereas in Persona 3: Portable, you can also play as a girl, who while still serves as a silent protagonist, has a lot more colorful choices filled with a lot more personality.

I don't expect this from a Fire Emblem game, I'm afraid, but I would support it, since it further increases the replay value. However, it might also make one path far more enjoyable than the other, just like in Persona 3: Portable.

Edited by Thane

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying that the art doesn't need to mean anything if the PCs are always draw them like that. Also, female Robin shared almost all of her dialogue with male Robin, so I'm not sure what sort of significantly different personality she is supposed to have. And the existence of dialogue is more of an argument against meaningful differences because that would mean that the player has more of a say about what kind of person the Avatar is.

Female Robin do have differences from male Robin if you read her supports :P

If this FE is about choices, though, I hope FemKamui gets the same choices as MaleKamui and uses the same underlying personality base. Let our choices shape them, not their starting gender.

...And? FE14 isn't the same game as FE12. Kamui is the main character of FE14 while Kris was just a side character. In Awakening, Female Robin and Male Robin had differences in their personality so why can't the Kamui's be different?

Not to mention, dialogue choices has been confirmed so there you go. :P

A side character. Is an interesting way to describe someone who took the spotlight from Marth, Jeigan and many other characters with speaking lines in the original Mystery of the Emblem and had a stupid sideplot added in. I mean I like FE12 and all, but that.. is inexcusable.

I don't think Path of Radiance really needed to foreshadow her. Micaiah didn't know about her true identity before Radiant Dawn nor did she have a

I think I answered my original question. People like Ike but not Micaiah because in spite of their similarities, Micaiah was used and abused by the writers whereas Ike never fell from grace. If I could rewrite Radiant Dawn, I would get rid of all the blood-pact nonsense and ditch the post-part 1 story revelations for Micaiah because they're just clutter for what could have been an interesting and competent character.

?

It would have been interesting if Radiant Dawn found a way for the Dawn Brigade and Greil Mercenaries to be competing factions with different interests, but ultimately the game has the moral depth of a muppet show, so of course one side was being forced to act bad because of a dumb plot device.

But then again, this game also pretty much clearly defined the good and evil sides, so I'm not hoping for an improvement.

Sorry for cutting in on the Kamui discussion

Spoiler'd because I went a little overboard ;;

Nohr values glory and has aesthetic cues inspired by the Roman empire so I don't think it'd be far fetched to believe that Nohr culture to some extent is based on the virtues - iustitia (justice), temperantia (temperance), fortitudo (courage), and prudentia (prudence).

That being said, since there are four virtues, I'd find it interesting if the full-Nohrian siblings each had a virtue they embodied (perhaps to self-destructive ends?) and one they struggled with

Of course, this is all only speculation, mostly because of traits Marx has already exhibited, but I think it's an interesting idea nonetheless. With that in mind, the Nohr side of things would probably be something like

Marx: Strong sense of justice - attempts to be the calm and calculated commander (and to some extent can put on the air of one), but tends to make decisions based on his emotions (even if he doesn't realize it himself/tries to rationalize a decision to make it seem logical). Probably a "Yes, Father" kind of son who disobey until Garon steps firmly out of line (wherein after the initial shock he becomes the teeth gritting kind of son having to act the part of good son, and the whole charade drives him up the wall (he only pretends because that's the only way the rebellion can work)). I can see him being the aloof big brother who actually adores his siblings (especially Kamui).

Camilla: Kind, caring, always there to help out her siblings - despite her revealing design, nothing about her (face/voice/speech pattern) says "seductress" to me. I also see her being pretty non-confrontational though, being hesitant when it comes to defying Garon; not because she agrees with him, but because she doesn't want her siblings getting hurt.

Blond Marth: Heavily pragmatic, hardest to convince to join the rebellion. I wouldn't classify him as an active sadist or anything, but he might be the type of guy who sees injustice and is more about keeping order/upsetting the balance so long as he isn't affected. I see him as pretty distant, but not in the same way Marx is.

Twintails: Super plucky, always ready to run into the thick of things even though she's very small and very young. Eager to please, and has has a black and white kind of naivete about her - "He's bad so he needs to be punished" - but is far more on the mercy/forgiveness side of things compared to Marx.

Garon: Everything about him screams generic gross villain to me, but as other people have stated, I'd like to have him have a redeeming feature like actually caring about his family. Of course, if that happens, I'd like it to be a theoretical and cut throat kind of love a la Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones where he likes the idea of his family and the ideal of what they could be (Marx as the stalwart prince who cuts down anyone who opposes the nation without mercy, Camilla as a femme fatale daughter who will marry into another royal family and turn the reigning king into a figurehead with the Nohr family pulling the strings, etc) but in reality his expectations are what cause them to be reeeeeaaaaally screwed up.

For Hoshido -

Ryouma: We have a lot of speculation that he's a super serious martial arts practitioner, and I'm inclined to agree, but I think there might be two "sides" to his personality. One calm and serious swordmaster, while the other is a laidback big brother who pals around with his siblings. I dunno, I get a much less "distant" feeling from him toward Kamui, even though Kamui would technically be the newest addition to the family.

Hinoka: Hmmmmm, her design is iffy to me. I can definitely see where people get the "tomboy" interpretation from, but to me she looks a little more subtle? I think "Be a Man" sequence Mulan is the best way to describe the way I feel her character is

Archer: It might just be the design, but I'm getting serious Heisuke (Hakuouki) vibes from him. I think he'll be ready to pal around with Kamui + siblings, but I also think he has some sort of complex that makes him always strive to be better than his elder brother (or at least pick up the slack) just going by the trailer where we see Ryouma on the ground and Archer threatening (presumably) Kamui. I think while he's eager to follow in Ryouma's footsteps, he tends to make bad calls due to his youth (I don't think Ryouma would want such a powerful response to Kamui in that scene, for instance)

Sakura: Mmmm I don't think I have anything new to add for her. Kind, gentle, friend to all living things perhaps?

As for Kamui themselves.... Both look quite serious from their artwork, with femui looking more regal type serious and m kamui looking more troubled. I'd like for them to implement a way to choose their personality, but a lot of the time, those just lead to one-note personalities in a couple flavors with none being less grating than the others. I think the best thing they could do is to write them along the same lines as Hakuno Kishinami from Fate/Extra - with a distinct voice/personality, but still mild so as not to ruin the immersion *looks at some dialogue wheels in Mass Effect >.>*

If this FE is about choices, though, I hope FemKamui gets the same choices as MaleKamui and uses the same underlying personality base. Let our choices shape them, not their starting gender.

I doubt they'll make gender important for that. These kinds of games tend to basically make the male and female versions interchangeable in plot, especially for someone like the Avatar.

A side character. Is an interesting way to describe someone who took the spotlight from Marth, Jeigan and many other characters with speaking lines in the original Mystery of the Emblem and had a stupid sideplot added in. I mean I like FE12 and all, but that.. is inexcusable.

Of course, Kris steals the spotlight from time to time but Marth is still the overall Lord of FE12.

I doubt they'll make gender important for that. These kinds of games tend to basically make the male and female versions interchangeable in plot, especially for someone like the Avatar.

Interchangeable in the plot, perhaps, but as I've stated previously since I believe it may serve as an apt comparison, Persona 3: Portable offers two routes in the game based on the gender of the protagonist, which drastically alters the social aspect of the game as well as dialogue options.

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, just that there are well-known examples of it. And in truth, I wouldn't mind differences between Kamui's gender; why not increase the replay value, provided it doesn't detract from the game? Besides, I'm afraid they'll give Kamui too little personality anyway.

Edited by Thane

not gonna lie, when i first saw and heard of her (my first run of awakening) i was like "did nintendo add a social justice warrior?"

I was mercifully unaware of SJWs when I first played Awakening. It deeply saddened me when I found out people like Sully actually exist.

People who think Sully is a radical feminist have obviously never actually met a member of the feminist movement. Sully is more like "Bro, it doesn't matter that I'm a girl, I got this."

Now Kjelle on the other hand, Kjelle I have a problem with, since she's got the whole "lol you weak MAN" misandry thing going on.

The main issue I have with this is that no one is saying she doesn't have this, yet she still acts defensive around people who have proven time and time again that they are good, supportive friends. The really maddening thing is that we are supposed to sympathize with her. And I forgot about Kjelle. I wish it had stayed that way.

RE Kamui: If he is a self insert, I want full control over his personality. Awakenings Avatar was pretty much an established character who you could tweak a bit; that shouldn't happen here. I point to KOTOR as how dialogue should be handled. The personality doesn't even need to drastically change the story; as long as I call the shots on what Kamui says Ill be happy.

Edited by blah2127