Must play games?

Dwarfishh

Let's be a rebel and say Yggdra Union.

The story has all sorts of questions and issues in it, the gamearrow-10x10.png system ranges from interesting to outright unfair, and there's a bunch of interesting objectives.

I could never really figure out how Yggdra Union worked. I think I went about 5 chapters into the game max.

Edited by Severlan

I could never really figure out how Yggdra Union worked. I think I went about 5 chapters into the game max.

First, how'd you manage to get that link when quoting me?

Yggdra Union will introduce things, at an extremely slow pace. You'll need to get to something like Chapter 16 before you can play the game to its fullest. Once you do, it's a matter of precise positioning, knowing what cards to use, knowing how items work, and generally making opponents pay for everything wit their tears.

Shield Barrier/Gravity Chaos are two of the best cards in the game for those reasons.

I think an elder scrolls game deserves a place here. Not sure which to choose out of morrowind/oblivion/skyrim, as any of them could fill the part.

I'd put the new Fallouts before Elder Scrolls. I think there's something much more interesting about the nuclear wasteland trapped in 50s-60s culture where all sorts of weird things can happen at any moment.

The Thousand Year Door

I played every Paper Mario game except for that one, it's impossible for me to find.

There's bucket loads of great (and bad) games out there. My top 5 pick for must play games are (In no order):

Metroid Prime Trilogy:

A First Person Shooter, though it's an adventure game at the same time. I'm still midway through the second Prime game but the trilogy costs 20 bucks on the Wii U now, some of the most atmospheric games I've ever played with enthralling stories.

Fire Emblem: Awakening:

I haven't gotten far enough in Blazing Swords to give it a verdict (I like it so far) but I have played through awakening three times over and put in 500 hours into it. Immense play value here, from the support system, to the children, to the class options, there's so much stuff here. And it has good DLC available to boost your play time even further.

Mass Effect Trilogy:

Mass Effect 2 is the best of the bunch, argue with me all you will, but I think it's the Empire Strikes back of gaming. The entire trilogy, though is excellent (Minus the ending of the third game) and they're all pretty much worth playing. Choose your path, make Shepard truly your own, and embark on a journey that has many different choices that will greatly effect the outcome, especially in ME2.

Xenoblade Chronicles:

How rather cliche and predictable of me to have this game here. Countless of hours of content, mostly great content. Phenomenal story, memorable cast of characters, great combat, unparalleled atmosphere, superb music, I can't talk about this game enough without sounding like a biased fanboy. And I'm damn proud of having played through it.

Majora's Mask:

I loved every Zelda game I played, asking me which one was my favorite is not an easy question. But Majora' Mask did it for me. The three day time limit adds true tension to your journey and is one of the core parts of the experience. The dungeons are solid for the most part (I'm looking at you, Great Bay temple.) and I absolutely loved how you can switch Link between various different forms. A masterpiece of a game, I'd say.

There are lots more, Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, etc. I could talk all day about games that I feel are must plays.

Edited by Rxmonste

Oh crap, how could I forget Shadow of the Colossus?

Shadow of the Colossus is like, probably the best use of the advantages of gaming as an art form. It has great atmosphere, great gameplay, great, but simple, story and an awesome soundtrack. It's probably the best game ever made, not my personal favourite (close) but it's a game everyone should play if they have the opportunity.

Edited by Knight

There's a fuck-ton of games I played as a kid/teen that pretty much defined me and I'd advise anyone to play even now, even if some of the graphics are now outdated.

Oldschool shit:

Sonic 1 (Master System)

Sonic 2/3 & Knuckles (Mega Drive)

Super Mario 3

Turbo Outrun

A little newer but still oldschool shit:

Crash Bandicoot 1-3

Crash Team Racing

Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus

Destruction Derby 2

Gran Turismo 2

Digimon World 1, 2003 (3 outside of Europe)

Tekken 2/3

Metal Gear Solid

Pokemon Yellow, Crystal

GTA 1, 2

Air Combat

A little newer:

Pokemon Sapphire/Emerald

Metal Gear Solid 2/3

Burnout 2,3, Revenge

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

GTA 3, Vice City

Ace Combat 04, 5, Zero

Sonic Advance 1, 3

Fire Emblem 7, 8

Last gen:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Race Driver GRID

I've played a lot more than what I've listed here, but these are the titles I remember the most/had the most fun with. Maybe there's more that I enjoyed playing, but I can't remember everything right now.

Street Fighter II (biased towards Hyper Fighting, Super SFII Turbo is probably the definitive version though)

Virtua Cop (arcade version)

Ys I&II Chronicles

Super Mario 64

Turbo Outrun

I was going to suggest the original OutRun, never played this one before.