Marx Discussion Topic

CatskillEagle

I really like Marx and totally want to marry him, but I'm getting Hoshido because I suck at strategy games and like to grind. Plus, I'm still somewhat squicked out by the whole you-growing-up-as-siblings thing. But he's so handsome! *sigh* XD

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Marx and totally want to marry him, but I'm getting Hoshido because I suck at strategy games and like to grind. Plus, I'm still somewhat squicked out by the whole you-growing-up-as-siblings thing. But he's so handsome! *sigh* XD

Actually, I think you can grind on Nohr too! I remember watching one of the live streams and seeing the player grind to build up supports.

Your second point is a good question and one that I want to ask Kamarx or any Kamui x Nohr sibling shippers: what's your opinion on them growing up together? Do you generally look over it, does your head canon make it work, or do you just not care about adoptive sibling romances/don't see anything wrong with it?

People might be tired of debating this point but it might be worth throwing out there.

^ that's the thing that makes me hesitate about marrying Kamui to Marx too. A part of me thinks he's Kamui's adopted bro so there shouldn't be any problem if the 2 get married. But sometimes that's also the reason why I think it's weird to have them marry each other. :P

Now that was just precious. To be honest Marx is pretty much the reason I want to play Nohr first. As cute as the lobster is Marx is basically a disney prince and I am ALL about that. Still wondering why none of the siblings question why Kamui has pointed (manakete) ears and not the rest of them.

Why does this game have to take so long?

Though I'm not a teenager anymore his dialog really isn't any worse than some of the media targeted at teenagers. Sometimes it feels like people forget what actually gets an okay in stuff for teens. Pretty sure I've read/seen worse in movies and books that are aimed for that age.

It's much more likely that despite same sex being legal in the US that the ratings board will throw a fit about the same sex marriages in Fates. Remember that Nick (who is far more censor happy than Nintendo ever could be) only let the Korra/Asami relationship happen in the last 10 minutes of the final episode.

Though I wouldn't mind censorship too much on some of the lines if it went the way Marvelous Entertainment did with Story of Seasons. Because some of the dialog in that game is hilarious and suggestive.

Actually, I think you can grind on Nohr too! I remember watching one of the live streams and seeing the player grind to build up supports.

Your second point is a good question and one that I want to ask Kamarx or any Kamui x Nohr sibling shippers: what's your opinion on them growing up together? Do you generally look over it, does your head canon make it work, or do you just not care about adoptive sibling romances/don't see anything wrong with it?

People might be tired of debating this point but it might be worth throwing out there.

Really? If that's true, I might have to reconsider choosing Hoshido. Because in terms of storyline, I really DO feel uncomfortable just betraying the siblings with whom I grew up and would prefer Nohr. But Hoshido has the easier gameplay mechanics and whatnot, so...

On the adoptive sibling romance thing...I find it weird, especially because in the supports they keep bringing it up! haha. I know it's just a game, but...

I'd find it less weird marrying a Hoshido sibling, I think, just because you're strangers, at least from Kamui's POV. Putting spoiler tags because I don't know how well-known it is that the Hoshido siblings aren't youre blood relatives.

I don't know. But I like Marx so much! Arrggghhh! XD

EDIT: Heading into head canon territory here. Spoilers of various sorts below. I marked the most important spoilers but there are some spoilers from the footage shown at Nintendo Treehouse's E3 demonstration.

To answer scarlett’s question partially, here’s what I’m thinking with my somewhat limited amount of knowledge.

Caveat: I'll have to get confirmation on some details and play the entire game before I form a real opinion.

In my view, Marx has always suspected that you weren’t his sibling.

First, I’m assuming he would have noticed your manakete ears. Also, you don’t resemble any of your siblings. Even I think Camilla, lacking the blonde hair color, at least resembles the others in her face. I think and Elise share similar eye colors.

Moreover, Marx likely remembers how his other siblings entered his life. If my sources are right, Marx was the only child born of the queen of Nohr

except perhaps Aqua’s mother, but I don’t know anything about that

, while the other children were all born of individual concubines and fostered in the royal household. Marx had to be aware of these concubines and familiar with Garon’s routine as the king was clearly fond of them well into middle age (uck). Even Elise was born from one.

Now take Kamui, who doesn’t show up as a baby like the other siblings do. She comes to the castle when Garon returns from war, clearly traumatized and frightened. She presumably doesn’t get any of the same grandeur or celebrations that the other four probably received upon their birth. Not only that, but she is forced into seclusion and confined into a castle, while the other siblings are provided freer roam. Garon also demonstrates an extreme dislike for her, as we saw in the Nintendo Treehouse stream. Marx would have certainly noticed these bizarre behaviors and concluded that something was different about her. She’s not typical Nohrian royalty.

He might have decided to care for her like any other sibling, but he would have been conscious that she was different. I think when Garon says in his evil soliloquy during the Treehouse stream that he wants to kill Kamui, Marx says something to the effect of, “I knew it/I suspected this.” He has always had a sense that Kamui represents a kind of threat to Garon, as well as some valuable asset or else he wouldn’t be keeping her around.

Of course, he never received confirmation whether she was related or not, so he might have felt uncertain about the matter. When he finds out that she isn't his blood sister, he says literally, "I have peace of mind now."

While this sentence does have romantic motivations, it can also be rooted in the idea that his uncertainty has finally been resolved, and what he has suspected all along was confirmed.

I also get the impression from their supports and Amie conversations that the two of them have a bit of a history together anyway, but still trying to suss out how this may work.

Edited by CatskillEagle

On the sibling marriage thing it isn't so bad. Technically in the US depending on the state/county's laws you can legally marry your step sibling. It just depends if the law only forbids blood relations from marrying or if it includes bonds as well, and also what specific bond that is.

Technically in modern day, depending on the state they would live in and if they were in the US it would be perfectly legal for Kamui to marry either set of step/adopted siblings. It would literally depend on what the particular laws where on the state of the bond. Since they didn't live with the Hoshido ones for most of their lives they'd actually probably have an easier time.

Source of Knowledge?: My family is... weird. Very weird.

Pretty sure it not only is legal to marry adopted siblings in Japan too, it used to be a somewhat common practice in feudal times?

Regardless, since it's fictional, I'm not giving it much thought. xD I just like Xander's character the most of all the guys shown, and his supports just keep endearing him to me.

It should also be noted that royals don't really follow the same customs most people do, nor live even remotely the same kind of life. What's proper or not proper is a totally different set of rules, regardless of how we think about it.

It was also not uncommon for royal "visitors"/hostages to be betrothed or even married to someone in the family in order to keep the rival country from taking action. If Kamui didn't have to be ambiguous enough to be a self-insert I could see that being a potentially interesting plot development.

That's interesting about the practices of Japanese feudal times, as well as the U.S. laws.

Ultimately, I don't really care. If they're both happy, and their kids will be fine, then it doesn't bother me that much. They're just fictional characters. xD

Edited by CatskillEagle

EDIT: Spoilers of various sorts below. I marked the most important spoilers but there are some spoilers from the footage shown at Nintendo Treehouse's E3 demonstration.

To answer scarlett’s question partially, here’s what I’m thinking with my somewhat limited amount of knowledge.

Caveat: I'll have to get confirmation on some details and play the entire game before I form a real opinion.

In my view, Marx has always suspected that you weren’t his sibling.

First, I’m assuming he would have noticed your manakete ears. Also, you don’t resemble any of your siblings. Even I think Camilla, lacking the blonde hair color, at least resembles the others in her face. I think and Elise share similar eye colors.

Moreover, Marx likely remembers how his other siblings entered his life. If my sources are right, Marx was the only child born of the queen of Nohr

except perhaps Aqua’s mother, but I don’t know anything about that

, while the other children were all born of individual concubines and fostered in the royal household. Marx had to be aware of these concubines and familiar with Garon’s routine as the king was clearly fond of them well into middle age (uck). Even Elise was born from one.

Now take Kamui, who doesn’t show up as a baby like the other siblings do. She comes to the castle when Garon returns from war, clearly traumatized and frightened. She presumably doesn’t get any of the same grandeur or celebrations that the other four probably received upon their birth. Not only that, but she is forced into seclusion and confined into a castle, while the other siblings are provided freer roam. Garon also demonstrates an extreme dislike for her, as we saw in the Nintendo Treehouse stream. Marx would have certainly noticed these bizarre behaviors and concluded that something was different about her. She’s not typical Nohrian royalty.

He might have decided to care for her like any other sibling, but he would have been conscious that she was different. I think when Garon says in his evil soliloquy during the Treehouse stream that he wants to kill Kamui, Marx says something to the effect of, “I knew it/I suspected this.” He has always had a sense that Kamui represents a kind of threat to Garon, as well as some valuable asset or else he wouldn’t be keeping her around.

Of course, he never received confirmation whether she was related or not, so he might have felt uncertain about the matter. When he finds out that she isn't his blood sister, he says literally, "I have peace of mind now."

While this sentence does have romantic motivations, it can also be rooted in the idea that his uncertainty has finally been resolved, and what he has suspected all along was confirmed.

I also get the impression from their supports and Amie conversations that the two of them have a bit of a history together anyway, but still trying to suss out how this may work.

This is a good analysis, Cat. I also think that he might not think of her as a sister as much as people presume. On top of everything you said, he seems to be really young to be such a competent and respected commander, which suggests he got an early start in the army (much like his namesake, Alexander the Great). He probably was away for a lot of his adolescence, at least, so their bonding might have been limited until recently.

On the other hand, she clearly thinks of him as an older brother, so it's definitely problematic from her end. At the same time, they're both adults, it's consensual and they seem very happy together if their kids' conversations are any suggestion. They have a great family, so it seems like it works for them, and that's what matters in the end!

It should also be noted that royals don't really follow the same customs most people do, nor live even remotely the same kind of life. What's proper or not proper is a totally different set of rules, regardless of how we think about it.

It was also not uncommon for royal "visitors"/hostages to be betrothed or even married to someone in the family in order to keep the rival country from taking action. If Kamui didn't have to be ambiguous enough to be a self-insert I could see that being a potentially interesting plot development.

That's interesting about the practices of Japanese feudal times, as well as the U.S. laws.

Ultimately, I don't really care. If they're both happy, and their kids will be fine, then it doesn't bother me that much. They're just fictional characters. xD

All good points. I wish Kamui had more character and plot development.

All good points. I wish Kamui had more character and plot development.

well, that's what headcanons are for? ^^ I kind of like the blanker slate as you can play with things more and create a story uniquely yours.

well, that's what headcanons are for? ^^ I kind of like the blanker slate as you can play with things more and create a story uniquely yours.

Partly why I don't mind how characters were characterized in FE 1/3/11/12. Because you can fill in the voids, while the writing that IS there is really solid.

Hehe, so true! C:

A fun little fact about Marx: When he was younger, he used to have stage fright/anxiety about speaking to his superiors, especially his father.

Daaawwwwwww! Someone should tell Siegbert.

A fun little fact about Marx: When he was younger, he used to have stage fright/anxiety about speaking to his superiors, especially his father.

Aww, poor thing. Which Support did you read that in? He referenced it in his Siegbert support, I was wondering where else I could read about it.

ANOTHER fun fact: According to the Museum in My Castle, Marx has the prettiest handwriting of anyone in the camp.

Plus his birthday is October 27th. Mark your calendars! :P

Edited by CatskillEagle

Aww, poor thing. Which Support did you read that in? He referenced it in his Siegbert support, I was wondering where else I could read about it.

It's his A-support with Sakura. She has stage fright too and wants to practice speaking with him. Apparently he's not completely over it yet; trying to confess to Sakura makes him nervous enough to need to pep-talk himself, like a "Come on Marx, you're Nohr's crown prince, you can do this" thing. What a dork.

Man I really want to see his supports with Sakura. They have to be completely adorable. I plan in the third route to marry the older brothers to the younger sisters. It will be glorious to think of Ryoma and Elise and Marx with Sakura.

Man I really want to see his supports with Sakura. They have to be completely adorable. I plan in the third route to marry the older brothers to the younger sisters. It will be glorious to think of Ryoma and Elise and Marx with Sakura.

Ah, maybe it's because I have my own siblings IRL and I'm super jealous about them sometimes...but I refuse to marry off any of my Nohrian foster-siblings to anyone. I'm planning to just S-rank Marx or Leon on my runs, A-rank the other siblings, and then we can all stay together as a happy family again. If they marry someone else they'll go away :( I'm channeling my inner Camilla.

Edited by mewyeon

Reading his supports with Sakura has pretty much jumped me on their shipping bandwagon because it is really as adorable as you'd imagine. I'll try to get them posted quickly! I'll definitely link them over here when I'm done.

Reading his supports with Sakura has pretty much jumped me on their shipping bandwagon because it is really as adorable as you'd imagine. I'll try to get them posted quickly! I'll definitely link them over here when I'm done.

Awesome! Honestly the older brothers are the only ones I would trust with my little sisters. It'd also make each sister the Queen of the other country so for political reasons it'd be great too.