English Name Predictions

Hoshidokoala

Here's what I think the reasons are for some of the name changes so far. With Suzukaze, I think they shortened it because there's a chance that players may decide to call him 'Suzie' instead of his full name or just 'Kaze.' As for Kazahana, I think it's because that her full name sounds masculine to American English speakers, kind of like how Sasha sounds feminine to us even though it's unisex name like Alex. Harold being changed to Arthur perhaps calls to mind the Arthurian legends lend more to the fact that he perceives himself as a medieval hero of justice. Elfie to Effie may be because Elfie brings to mind elves who tend to be portrayed as thin and wispy people whereas she is strong as hell, or it may be to avoid confusion between her and Elise. Joker to Jakob... I don't think I need to say anymore, and I know the Joker would appreciate that name change. Of course I could be wrong on all of these but ....meh.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know NOA doesn't always change the name to be easier. For example, in Sacred Stones they changed Rachel to L'Arachel. Not to mention all the weird stuff they did with the FE4 cast's names

And they don't change that many names.

Here's a list of possible name changes.

Matoi -> Kaori

A Japanese name that also has the hard c and -or that Cordelia has.

Lutz -> Lux

Not really a name, but it sounds cool and is punny. People will probably make League of Legends jokes about this.

Benoit -> Bruno

Still a French name. It'll be something with a b at least.

Ignis -> Prometheus

Probably too long, but is sounds badass.

Eponine -> Tiffanie

It sounds like infinity which is a neat match with Zero.

Lazward -> Westley

Gonna agree with this.

Luna -> Safiria

Sounds similar to Severa.

Dia -> Dio

Made more masculine.

Midoriko -> Midori

Simplified

Shinonome -> Shino

Same

I stand by my theory that they removed the T from Tsubaki because there were too many names that began with T on Hoshido and that they wanted to change that.

You know NOA doesn't always change the name to be easier. For example, in Sacred Stones they changed Rachel to L'Arachel. Not to mention all the weird stuff they did with the FE4 cast's names

And they don't change that many names.

This is the strangest thing to me. They're moving mountains to simplify the Hoshidan names, presumably to make them more "pronounceable" but I'm still not sure how to say Kjelle or Tharja. I've heard them said 1000 different ways.

I stand by my theory that they removed the T from Tsubaki because there were too many names that began with T on Hoshido and that they wanted to change that.

I thought the "t" in "tsu" was removed because it simply wasn't an English thing, which is why I don't understand why some people dislike "Subaki". I thought it was quite a natural change for this name in terms of simplification.

Edited by Magician Lugh

I thought the "t" in "tsu" was removed because it simply wasn't an English thing, which is why I don't understand some people dislike "Subaki". I thought it was quite natural change for this name in terms of simplification.

People who don't understand Japanese dislike it because it feels like an insult to their intelligence (everyone knows how to pronounce tsunami), and people who do understand Japanese dislike it because "Subaki" is a travesty that isn't even an actual name

As long as they change Flannel's name to something less stupid, I'm fine.

People who don't understand Japanese dislike it because it feels like an insult to their intelligence (everyone knows how to pronounce tsunami), and people who do understand Japanese dislike it because "Subaki" is a travesty that isn't even an actual name

"Travesties that aren't even actual names" are extremely common in Fire Emblem. See: the aforementioned Flannel.

As long as they change Flannel's name to something less stupid, I'm fine.

"Travesties that aren't even actual names" are extremely common in Fire Emblem. See: the aforementioned Flannel.

Okay fair enough. But my first reason still applies

Unfortunately, some English-speaking Filipinos (especially the Tagalogs) read tsunami as Chunami, as we translate chocolate as tsokolate; chauffeur as tsuper. An average educated Filipino (who rather not speak English) will read it as Chubaki

Edited by Jayvee94

Since the localization team already changed Harold to Arthur, I'm pretty sure that anything could happen. I think these are reasonable "predictions", but it's all up in the air.Mozume = Molly/Madelyn/Montana

All are southern sounding names (assuming she's following Donnel's style of localization)

Asura = Garrett/Carter

He's a Nohr thief, probably will have a "western" sounding name.

Izana = Antonie/Alexis

He seems like he would have a "French" name. He's the king of a random province that looks refined.

Lilith = Asteria

The Greek god of stars. Lilith (to most Christians) is associated with a "demon" and thus, bad. Since she's a good character and is a star dragon, just seems appropriate. (Lilith it is!)

Saizou = Saizo

Easy to pronounce, but most likely dropping the end vowel. (Plus, it's the name of a famous ninja already)

Kagerou = Chiyome/Miyuki

Not easy to pronounce, but I think they want to stay within a Japanese sounding name scheme. Chiyome is a famous woman who gather female-only ninjas during the Sengoku period (same time Saizou was "famous" for being a ninja). Also, it's easier to pronounce. Or perhaps Miyuki, because it sounds feminine and Japanese all at the same time.

Asama = Asama

Easy to say - looks like its fits.

Setsuna = Suna

Western localization tends to stay away from 't's when they are next to another consonant. Also, Suna sounds feminine.

Hinata = Hiro/Hiroki

Names ending in an 'a' are seen as feminine in the western world. Since this is a man, I think they will get it to end in an 'o' or an 'i'.

Oboro = Okimi/Odina

Again, western world sees a name ending in an 'o' as masculine. There, I think they will switch it to an 'a' or an 'i'.

Tsukuyomi = Kuyomi

Too long and has a 't' that I already mentioned.

Nikishi = Nike/Reynard

I have a feeling they will shorten this or change it completely. Since he's not *living* in Hoshido (he's a weird fox clan elsewhere) I think they will try and strip him of an Asian-style name. (Reynard being a popular Fox folktale in the west).

Orochi = Amaya

I have a feeling this name will be changed for sure. Orochi is masculine sounding - probably giving her a more female style name.

Yukimura = Kimuto

Again, to make it more masculine.

Yuugiri = Yuki

They might not even bother changing this - I think the name fits perfectly, but it is "odd" for westerns due to the many vowels.

Crimson = Scarlet/Ruby

Crimson is not usually a name in western culture.

Lazward = Iden

The Japanese seem to be playing off the Awakening name scheme for their "fake identities". Since Lazward was Inigo in the American release, I can see Iden being his "fake identity".

Pieri = Beth/Eleanor/Payne

Her name is supposed to represent her "angry/violent side" - Beth for the Shakespeare reference, Eleanor for the Edgar Allen Poe reference and Payne (because that would be on-the-nose).

Luna = Selene/Serena

Again, to represent Awakening cover name.

Belka = Blair

She seems tomboy-ish and should probably have a "unisex" name that sounds western.

Odin = Odin

I think this will stay the same - it already harkens back to Owain and it's over-the-top, like his character would have wanted.

Zero = Zero

It already sounds like a code-name of sorts, and it's easy to say... Not really a "name" though, so I think it will be changed but I have no idea what. Hopefully they just keep it.

Effie = Valerie

Something western sounding and not just a bunch of vowels and consonants. (Forgot that Effie was already her name in the demo - pretty bizarre thought)

Nyx = Nyx

Easy to say, and looks cool. What more could you want?

Charlotte = Colette

Shortening the name to make it easier.

Benoit = Bennett/Beckett

Both sound reasonably close and easier to say.

Flannel = Some-fabric-joke-here

Seriously - they're just going to give him a different type of fabric. Maybe he'll be named suede or something.

Kanna = Kai/Riley

Both are unisex names that are easy to pronounce - one that seems more Hoshido and one more Nohr - not sure what the localization will do.

Shigure = Shane/Kenta

To make it easier to pronounce - not sure if it will be more Hoshido or Nohr.

Deere = Derrik

Since his father's name is Jakob.

Sophie = Sophie

Probably not changing.

Midoriko = Mika

Make it easier to say and keep the cuteness!

Shinonome = Ryota/Ronin/Satoshi

Something easy to pronounce while still being Japanese.

Kisaragi = Kenji

Again, easy to pronounce while still being Japanese.

Gurei = Grey/Gunner

In his supports he says he took on a Nohr-style name (because his real name is Saizou). Therefore, Grey or Gunner both sound western and are easy to say/read. Bam.

Kinu = Vixen

We all know why.

Hisame = Haru

Easier for westerns to pronounce.

Mitama = Michi

Easier to pronounce.

Matoi = Kora/Lia

To still sound Japanese while hinting at her English name "Cordelia".

Syalla = Shara

I think this would still sound like "Tharja" while still keeping the Japanese sounding name.

Siegbert = Adelbert/Alex

To connect to his father - or easier to pronounce.

Foleo = Leonidas

To connect to his father - is actually a name.

Ignis = Zeke/Axel

Still has a weird name but now it isn't also the name of a skill.

Velour = Again-cloth-joke-here

Maybe her name will be Velvet.

Lutz = Felix

It means luck and sounds like a western name.

Ophelia = Oleisia

To hint more to her grandmother. Otherwise, it's totally fine.

Soleil = Sylvia

To hint more to her grandmother.

Eponine = Cosette/Fantine

You get where this is going.

Setsuna won't be that difficult to pronounce because ts was preceeded by a vowel

Yup.

Awakening: Chrom, Virion (a single virus particle), Stahl (steel in german), Ricken (a young deer in german), Panne, Libra, Cherche (searching in french), Tharja, Kjelle

Radiant Dawn: Sothe, Haar (hair in german), Zihark, Tauroneo, Elincia, Makalov, Brom, Gatrie, Sanaki (I'm no even including the laguz names here)

Those are just a few examples of FE names that aren't real names. A lot of fantasy video games use made up names or modifications of real names.

So I really don't think "Subaki" and the others are such a big deal. Just call them whatever you want in your own head.

This is the strangest thing to me. They're moving mountains to simplify the Hoshidan names, presumably to make them more "pronounceable" but I'm still not sure how to say Kjelle or Tharja. I've heard them said 1000 different ways.

I believe Kjelle is said as "Chell" or "Djell" (I was stupid enough to say "Kah-Jell" at first). I always thought Tharja was simply "THAR-jah", but now I think it was supposed to be more like her Japanese name and I've been calling her "THAR-yah" as of lately. No idea which is correct and I kinda flip flip between the two.

My real question is Panne; I say "Payne/Pain" but I have no idea if it's right or nah.

Well we already know about (T)Subaki...

Which makes me just angry.

You are angry about NoA knocking off a single letter... a letter which isn't even pronounced when you say his name. :facepalm:

You are angry about NoA knocking off a single letter... a letter which isn't even pronounced when you say his name. :facepalm:

Yeah but that's why it's silly - there was no need to change the name Tsubaki to Subaki as it was a letter that didn't really matter to the phonetics of his name - just a crisper sounding "su". The point is that there was no need for NoA to change his name in the first place.

I believe Kjelle is said as "Chell" or "Djell" (I was stupid enough to say "Kah-Jell" at first). I always thought Tharja was simply "THAR-jah", but now I think it was supposed to be more like her Japanese name and I've been calling her "THAR-yah" as of lately. No idea which is correct and I kinda flip flip between the two.

My real question is Panne; I say "Payne/Pain" but I have no idea if it's right or nah.

I always have said "Thar-yuh" to match her JP name and then by that logic(?) I guess I started calling Kjelle "Kyelle" but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be like Chell or something? Goes to show how arbitrary the localisation was with those two.

For Panne I say it like...frying Pan, because she's meant to be named after the type of fabric, right? Which is pronounced like that.

I just remembered in FE Shadow Dragon with Shiida being changed to Caeda lol.

Not in Europe! Caeda confuses me because I say it like "Seed-uh"? And Seed is not a pretty word.

But yeah FE localisation is all over the place. Expect random and gratuitous name changes like Charlotte becoming Tiffany for some reason or another.

Panne, i say just like penne pasta only with an A instead. So more like Pan-nay. Pretty sure its correct.

Tharja is said like "Thar-yah". Tarja is actually a legitimate name (its Scandinavian i believe). Just add an H to the TH there and bam. Nightwish fans might remember Tarja Turunin.

Yeah but that's why it's silly - there was no need to change the name Tsubaki to Subaki as it was a letter that didn't really matter to the phonetics of his name - just a crisper sounding "su". The point is that there was no need for NoA to change his name in the first place.

Agreed. We got Tsukuyomi, so the Tsu isnt lost on us silly Westerners. Tsubaki and Subaki does sound slightly different. Plus Subaki sounds like Subaru and thats freaking unforgivable. Especially since most of the Hoshidans arent going to see much change in their names. Hana and Kaze they likely changed simply for simplicity's sake.(but it wasnt necessary)

Expect random and gratuitous name changes like Charlotte becoming Tiffany for some reason or another.

XANDER. I will not forgive that. No ser, i will not. <.<

Harold becoming Arthur was more of a pissoff to me tbh

Marx probably got changed as it did to stop the communism jokes

so basically it's all your guys' fault

I can see some other small changes, like maybe Crimson getting a name that's something more fitting her allegiance to Hoshido? idk

I'll cry if Charlotte's name is changed. It's so sweet, and she really looks like she could be a Charlotte!

There's a bunch of names I don't want to change. Just as long as it doesn't affect the pronunciation (so I don't really mind / care for Subaki losing the "T" in his name). I might get used to it though. At first I didn't like Marx and Cyrus becoming Xander and Silas, but now I'm used to it, and I actually prefer those English names.

I don't want Flannel's name to be changed, but it probably will, seeing as how Panne and Yarne's Japanese names got changed from being types of fabric.

also if Benoit doesn't get changed I will be shocked

though this is mostly due to some... ah, unfortunate connotations with his name

Idk, some people might pronounce it Kisarajee or something. And then put the accent in the wrong place so it becomes ki-SAH-ra-jee.

it's not pronounced like that?????????

I think I always say ki-sah-ra-gee (gee as in "Gee, so much fun!!" it sounds like the letter G, but I'm pretty sure jee sounds like g, too.) Is that really not how it's said?

This is Panne, Nowi, and Cherche all over again with me. (Pa nay? No wee? Now ee? Church? Cherchie? Pannie? Pan? Chur chey?)

i dont know my english anymore

Edited by Pokechu

I think I always say ki-sah-ra-gee (gee as in "Gee, so much fun!!" it sounds like the letter G, but I'm pretty sure jee sounds like g, too.) Is that really not how it's said?

This is Panne, Nowi, and Cherche all over again with me. (Pa nay? No wee? Now ee? Church? Cherchie? Pannie? Pan? Chur chey?)

Well it's a Japanese name not English lol, and in Japanese the 'g' is always pronounced as a hard 'g' like in girl (it isn't exactly the same, but close enough)

Kisaragi would be said as "Key-sah-RAH-gi" with the "G" as in get, not a "J" sound. All "G"s in Japanese use this sound.

Nowi says her name in-game. It's "NO-wee". I say "SHER-cheh" for Cherche, but I don't know how it should be correctly.