What Starter Type Do You Typically Choose?

Captain Karnage

What starter type do you typically choose?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What starter type do you typically choose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water, Water, Water.

It's my favorite element in RPGs and I always favor water related characters in any sort of media.

For me it's unthinkable to have a water type in your team, and it's weird, but seeing other people without water types in their teams bother for some reason.

Fire's always my first choice. I chose Chimchar in my first game (yes I started playing in 4th gen) and that's how it's been ever since. Since in 5th gen there was BW and B2W2, I wasn't gonna pick Tepig again, and chose Oshawott the second time. Honestly now that you've got me thinking about it, I do kinda like Water as a type better, but I don't wanna break my little tradition :P

Fire's always my first choice. I chose Chimchar in my first game (yes I started playing in 4th gen) and that's how it's been ever since. Since in 5th gen there was BW and B2W2, I wasn't gonna pick Tepig again, and chose Oshawott the second time. Honestly now that you've got me thinking about it, I do kinda like Water as a type better, but I don't wanna break my little tradition :P

I know I'm bias, but another reason that I always choose water is because from a gameplay perspective, the Water starters are usually the safest option of the starters trios, and choosing the Water starter is never bad choice, and usually don't give you problems unlike the grass and fire starters, that said Grass is one my favorite types, but you never have much trouble if choose the Water Starter in the main story.

Yes, I'm biased towards the Water Type, why do you think my username is Water Mage?

I'm part of the Water master race, and the things I do in video games because of my Water favoritism are crazy

Edited by Water Mage

I typically choose fire, but with the past 2 generations I've chosen differently. With Black/White I went with Oshawott in my first playthrough. X/Y I went with Chespin. ORAS I went with Treecko. While I still prioritize fire types more, I've evolved to choosing whichever Pokemon looks the most appealing to me.

In Leaf Green,Platinum and White/Black 2 I usually choose the Fire-Types.Silver/Soul Silver and Y I usually choose the Water-Types.Emerald/Omega Ruby I usually choose the Grass-Types.

I pick them on how much I like their final stage.

Ever since 4th Gen onward, I've been using...

EVERY STARTER IN DA FRICKIN' BOOK.

My main team always consists of all of that region's starters whenever possible. This includes having access to trading and stuff.

If it's 3rd Gen and before (which I don't have means for trading), then I'll use whatever Type I didn't pick last time.

Grass grass grass grass grass grass grass grass grass

Except for mudkip. Except for in AS where I stuck strong with grass. And that was only because I wanted that Grass/Dragon mega evo.

So yeah, I like big Grasses and I cannot lie.

• 3 weeks later...

Water.

it's always useful, and it's not guaranteed that there'll be early water types that I'll like/ that are useful. (Looking at you B&W and RBY)

Tho Platinum had the BEST in early waters for ingame runs. Piplup, Buizel, and Shellos are all really good.

Fire gets picked on the second run, since they're usually the hardest for earlygame use, but they're always fun.

Grass is kinda bland. They're usually good early on and taper off a little. Although I still like all but Chikorita.

It really depends on the Pokémon. But it appears Fire is my most picked and Water is my least picked.

Gen 1: Squirtle

Gen 2: Cyndaquil

Gen 3: Treecko

Gen 4: Chimchar

Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: Fennekin

Edited by Glitchy

Water.

it's always useful, and it's not guaranteed that there'll be early water types that I'll like/ that are useful. (Looking at you B&W and RBY)

Agreed. Also, you shoulda mentioned RSE (and I'm sure that'd apply to ORAS as well).

I'd like to think I have a type preference for starters but when I think about it, I do end up choosing the cutest/coolest starter.

Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Mudkip (all time favourite Pokemon too that is unfortunately over memed as heck)

Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: Fennekin (Froakie is pretty cool too)

Usually Fire, partially because I like the type itself, partially because I really don't like most other Fire type Pokemon (too many double Water weaknesses), and partially because Charmander was my first Pokemon ever. I do like most of the Water starters, though I never use Grass types.

Gen 1: Charmander (duh), Squirtle a few times

Gen 2: Cyndaquil (shiny to boot)

Gen 3: Swampert the first time, Blaziken every other time

Gen 4: Piplup the first time because my younger brother insisted, Chimchar every other time

Gen 5: Never played, but Oshawott if I did, Emboar being as slow as he is

Gen 6: Never played, but Fennekin if I did

People... actually... use... grass-types? What devilry is this? ;)

It's not like grass type is that bad! But the grass type starters are normaly unimpressive I admit.

I usually avoid the water types. I know its a good type gameplay-wise, but I just consider most water pokemon to be boring.

I do like fire types and I would have picked that type often if they did't go with fire/fighting a lot.

Grass is my most chosen type and my favourite of the 3. I just think its a shame that they started to get really stingy with the powder moves, which makes me like them a little less.

Gen 1 - Charmander

Gen 2 - Mostly Cyndaquill, but Totodile sometimes. Both are awesome

Gen 3 - I really like all 3, but I go with Mudkip more often that the other 2

Gen 4 - Piplup.

Gen 5 - Snivy

Gen 6 - Froakie

So water I think? But I certainly don't choose them based on their types.