GameFAQs Best Game Ever Contest

oh cool are people getting mad about undertale in here too

here's my viewpoint on the situation as someone who has played a lot of melee and a lot of undertale

melee is ranking so high because it is incredibly popular and fun to play

undertale is ranking so high and beating melee because it is incredibly popular and fun to play and is very witty, clever, silly and is made by a man who knows what he's doing

I can see there being a select few people voting just to make people angry, but at the same time I'm sure there are people vehemently not voting because they are so buttmad =b

it's probably really hard for many people to grasp that there really are a lot of people who really enjoyed that game

really though... I see no point in so many people getting so angry over other people's opinions... over video games....

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's my viewpoint on the situation as someone who has played a lot of melee and a lot of undertale

undertale is ranking so high and beating melee because it is incredibly popular and fun to play and is very witty, clever, silly and is made by a man who knows what he's doing

I can see there being a select few people voting just to make people angry, but at the same time I'm sure there are people vehemently not voting because they are so buttmad =b

it's probably really hard for many people to grasp that there really are a lot of people who really enjoyed that game

really though... I see no point in so many people getting so angry over other people's opinions... over video games....

They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Whoenjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

how dare you use logic in a discussion about something ultimately pointless, grr

I actually posted here because D&D Mystara was mentioned

I know that bit was to the relevant people, but still.

Then I got blinded by the images Chen posted

Edited by Soledai

oh cool are people getting mad about undertale in here toohere's my viewpoint on the situation as someone who has played a lot of melee and a lot of undertalemelee is ranking so high because it is incredibly popular and fun to playundertale is ranking so high and beating melee because it is incredibly popular and fun to play and is very witty, clever, silly and is made by a man who knows what he's doingI can see there being a select few people voting just to make people angry, but at the same time I'm sure there are people vehemently not voting because they are so buttmad =bit's probably really hard for many people to grasp that there really are a lot of people who really enjoyed that gamereally though... I see no point in so many people getting so angry over other people's opinions... over video games....

But they're all just spamming copy pastas!

U-Unless I can't tell D:

I actually posted here because D&D Mystara was mentioned

I know that bit was to the relevant people, but still.

Then I got blinded by the images Chen posted

We should get the steam version and get 2 other people.

I have outwitted, outplanned, and outdebated every individual I've come across. Especially the women, they are arguably not even sentient creatures. But there is a very compelling argument to make that I am the modern equivalent of a god, toying with people's lives for my own amusement with no consequence due to the vast network of connections at my fingertips.

They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Whoenjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

whether this is true or not I'm going to pretend that's a quote of somebody getting mad about undertale currently beating melee please don't tell me I'm wrong

how dare you use logic in a discussion about something ultimately pointless, grr

video games mean the whole world

people like you would never understand

But they're all just spamming copy pastas!

U-Unless I can't tell D:

I'm referring to the discussion that was going on before the topic started getting improved

(I guess I'm helping it not improve doing that aren't I)

I put about 2500 hours into Melee, been to a few local tournaments, and so far I've put around 200 into Sm4sh and I have to say, Sm4sh is better imo. All the things people try to say are better about Melee are just bugs. That's it. Not to mention the severe lack of balance between characters - in Sm4sh there doesn't seem to be much of an issue of "overpowered" characters, at least not on the level that Marth reaches in Melee.

I'm one of those Sm4sh elitists you're talking about. If you really want to understand the mindset you first have to realize that Melee is a fundamentally broken game. You have to want to play a game that works right even if that means sacrificing a little bit of mechanical depth. Things like defending wave dashing as a mechanic and complaining about how slow the game is now are what tick me off the most. Wave dashing is a bug in the game code and you could only air dodge one time until being hit or hitting the ground in Melee, which means juggling for days.

Sm4sh has more depth to its combat but less depth to mechanics as a result; it's a lot less centralized on "MOVE BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE STAGE AND MASH AS FAST AS YOU CAN" and more on actual calculated gameplay than Melee, which is probably why so many people go back to Melee.

try a month, and if your only form of non-linear thinking is in smash then of course you will find my comments idiotic

here is a lame ASCII thing of what I mean

this is how you think while playing smash

00000XooX

000000 \ /

------------X---------

000000/o \

oooooXooX

note how there are several trains of thought, now here how you think when not playing smash or talking about playing it

-------------------=-----------------------

one train of thought, now here at the same thigns for me

oooooooooX

oooooooo /

--------------/----------------------

0000000 /

000000X

as you can see, a few less trains of thought while playing smash, but they are still there

0000X 0X 0 X

00000oX 0X

000OXo \ / oX

------------X---------X

ooooX o/ \o X

ooooo XooX

oooo Xo X o X

now extend each point of each X

thats how I think ALL THE TIME

side note, the o's and 0's are blank spaces that I needed to fill

I am aware this is "copypasta", but I'm going to explain why it isn't relevant in this case. You people seem to think "copypastas" are funny by definition if they're relevant, and you post them even if they're not, hoping others upvote them on sight.

Let me tell you that's not how it works. For instance, the fact that you decided to use that copypasta in this situation indicates that you think:
a) the situation was complex
b) it has been oversimplified
c) it adds nothing to the conversation.

Well, you see, complexity is subjective, that's the nature of emergence. What's complex for a child like you is often trivial or routine for a scientist like me. SF's userbase is quite diverse, although there seems to be evidence of an over-representation of individuals exhibiting childish behaviors. Secondly, do you really think that this situation has been oversimplified? It's through using "copypastas" and other hasty generalizations you try to cram each individual scenario with its particularities into a formulaic mold. I hypothesize you require this simplification because of the state of your mental faculties and reasoning skills.

And lastly, most of the time you simplifications do not aid in understanding new facets of the subject matter. Characterizations that might not be 100% accurate can act as useful models for understanding overarching facets of complex inter-dependent systems, but your "copypastas" do not facilitate in that endeavor.

If even one of these criticisms is valid, your point is moot as it depends unilaterally on all the three premises I've highlighted. The social commentary you wish "copypastas" to exhibit might seem sensible, maybe even profound to you, but they're just as bad, if not worse than the additions reactiongifs, pun chains or novelty accounts bring to the table.

Please consider this seriously, and don't immediately fall back on your preconceived notions without reexamining their validity, at least in a cursory manner after I've presented you with this new evidence you really should take seriously.

Edited by Euklyd

I am aware this is "copypasta", but I'm going to explain why it isn't relevant in this case. You people seem to think "copypastas" are funny by definition if they're relevant, and you post them even if they're not, hoping others upvote them on sight.

Let me tell you that's not how it works. For instance, the fact that you decided to use that copypasta in this situation indicates that you think:

a) the situation was complex

b) it has been oversimplified

c) it adds nothing to the conversation.

Well, you see, complexity is subjective, that's the nature of emergence. What's complex for a child like you is often trivial or routine for a scientist like me. SF's userbase is quite diverse, although there seems to be evidence of an over-representation of individuals exhibiting childish behaviors. Secondly, do you really think that this situation has been oversimplified? It's through using "copypastas" and other hasty generalizations you try to cram each individual scenario with its particularities into a formulaic mold. I hypothesize you require this simplification because of the state of your mental faculties and reasoning skills.

And lastly, most of the time you simplifications do not aid in understanding new facets of the subject matter. Characterizations that might not be 100% accurate can act as useful models for understanding overarching facets of complex inter-dependent systems, but your "copypastas" do not facilitate in that endeavor.

If even one of these criticisms is valid, your point is moot as it depends unilaterally on all the three premises I've highlighted. The social commentary you wish "copypastas" to exhibit might seem sensible, maybe even profound to you, but they're just as bad, if not worse than the additions reactiongifs, pun chains or novelty accounts bring to the table.

Please consider this seriously, and don't immediately fall back on your preconceived notions without reexamining their validity, at least in a cursory manner after I've presented you with this new evidence you really should take seriously.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the good shit go౦ԁ sHit academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Baaddd ShIT , and I have over 300 confirmed (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ). I am trained in warfare and I’m the top shiter in the entire US armed mMMMMᎷМ . You are nothing to me but just another Baaa AaAadDddD Sh1t . I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, thats what im talking about right there right there . You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of go౦ԁ sHit across the USA and your IP is being traced rightthere right✔there ✔, so ✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so , you better prepare for the storm, НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, I could be rightthere right✔there ✔ and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ). Not only am I extensively trained in mMMMMᎷМ combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Good shit Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little BAAaAaAaAd shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking shit. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ .

Now, I've seen more foreskins than a rabbi during a baby boom, but the sight of his purple beaver buster made my pussy batter foam like a leaky tap. When he removed his Ocean's 11 Inches from my poop chute, he was pleasantly surprised to see a stink pickle staring back as him. He knew I couldn't wait to chow down on the Mr. Hanky off his throbbing quim dagger. I can't wait to consume the cock snot from his devil's bagpipe. The slamming makes me pour my clunge gunge all over his stilton spear. With my velcro triangle now much like badly battered road kill, he thought it was time to start ramming my fudge factory. Is now the time to tell him I really need to curl a butt nugget, I wondered?