Should Toshiyuki Kusakihara stay as the art director in future installments of the franchise?

OakTree

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should he?

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psh, if he's responsible for the abominations that are Camilla, Charlotte (even if her personality is a girl that tries to seduce men, even she could've been handled better), and the 3DS Knight line, he needs to be fired. Yes, bring back Tellius's director and Senri Kita. Those designs were the best by far, imo.

Psh, if he's responsible for the abominations that are Camilla, Charlotte (even if her personality is a girl that tries to seduce men, even she could've been handled better), and the 3DS Knight line, he needs to be fired. Yes, bring back Tellius's director and Senri Kita. Those designs were the best by far, imo.

I see nothing wrong with Charlotte for that reason. Camilla is lol awful but what can you do.

I love Kozaki but hate the art director himself. Funny right?

although I would hate to have senri kita Tellius characters were not good and radiant dawn was basically longcoat the game

Please no. The Tellius designs are probably the best designs in the series. Not too 'eccentric' and unfitting as this era but not as bland (Though bland may not be the best word to describe them) as some of the older games.

I see nothing wrong with Charlotte for that reason.

She has ugly balloon boobs and a bikini that shows part of her female area. It's more revealing than a standard pair of underwear. If you're going to design a "sexual" character, look at someone like Petrine for reference. Even her large breasts look more natural than Charlotte's.

Fire Emblem is at a high that has never been seen for 20 years in part because Kusakihara so dramatically changed the aesthetics. I don't have a strong opinion on him myself, but asking to ditch that success and go back to when the series was the least popular is insane.

Fire Emblem is at a high that has never been seen for 20 years in part because Kusakihara so dramatically changed the aesthetics. I don't have a strong opinion on him myself, but asking to ditch that success and go back to when the series was the least popular is insane.

Yeah, Awakening and Fates are my favorites since the Kaga games. I think that the series is ever evolving, and I can't wait to see where it's going.

lolwut? The games are NOT successful because of this guy. They're successful because they actually got marketing and casual mode was added. Previous FE games were barely ever marketed at all.

I doubt that the fan-servicy design are really the main thing that made Awakening popular. Like Anacybele said, I think it's more Nintendo doing a lot of marketing for the game before it's release and it was made more approachable due to casual mode. The shipping aspect may have contributed as well, but I think that would work even without battle panties on great knight. And I don't think people would notice it too much if they switched art director but kept Kozaki as the artist.

is Camilla awful because boobs? is that it?

For some. For others, its her actual armor design. I disagree wholly with the former, and i see the latter's point.

OP, what about the "im not fussed either way" option? Cuz im really not. We all like Tellius style designs, but as long as FE keeps getting made, im not too bothered by the art direction too much.

I'm with Ana on this one: aesthetics was probably the last thing that "saved" the series. Proper marketing, casual mode, and word of mouth did most of it.

is Camilla awful because boobs? is that it?

Camilla is awful because her design is terrible. I'm completely fine with characters looking sexy if it fits them. I start to have a problem with it when one of two things happen.

1) Proportions that are terrible and things like balloon boobs.

2) Things like battle panties that look awful for the sake of fanservice, especially on classes with high defense.

Camilla does both.

Eh, I have a hard time hating on the designs. For every stupid design like Camilia's underpants we get like 10 cool ones

http://i.imgur.com/YnmPQZf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oK4n9N0.jpg

I'm okay with dumb fan service when it's kept to a minimum and doesn't distract from the rest of the game.

Yes. I like his art and character concepts.

I don't think he's doing anything that IntSys don't want him to, though. They even hired an artist famous for hentai art to redesign Celica for Awakening's DLC. And he didn't disappoint. ;)

I admit that some of the more revealing outfits may look a bit ridiculous and I'd much prefer to see this sort of stuff as some kind of reward in the game, but hey, it's selling and his art is pretty good.

Edited by Cerberus87

absolutely not. not only is he chiefly responsible for shitty fanservice hell and hideous armour designs, but his own illustrations indicate he has a poor grasp of how to art and anatomy, get kusakihara as far away from fire emblem as possible, please and thank you

absolutely not. not only is he chiefly responsible for shitty fanservice hell and hideous armour designs, but his own illustrations indicate he has a poor grasp of how to art and anatomy, get kusakihara as far away from fire emblem as possible, please and thank you

I actually don't think anything outside of the breasts look bad

but those breasts are some of the worst I've ever seen in pretty much any art

Charlotte's design is bad not because it's skimpy. When I've campaigned for female zerkers all these years I expected them to be just as skimpy as hawkeye, that's never a problem.

Charlotte's design is bad because the fighter class as a whole looks dumb and she's an unfortunate victim of being designed too close to the class. Her berserker design in TCG looks more or less alright.

If Kusakihara thought either of the FE13/14 fighter designs were good ideas and also giving mounted units battle panties, I'd like someone else. Not necessarily the Tellius squad (although they are very good and I wouldn't mind), but I'd also just like to see the FE look change up every once in a while too. Keeps things fresh. I'd offer myself but I have a programming job.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Fates is far from a complete step down from Awakening's designs. For one, most generic class designs look phenomenal. It seems where he made amends for mistakes in Awakening's aesthetic design (turtle knights & toilet bowl cavaliers), he would also take steps backwards at the same time (aforementioned battle panties). It seems to me that people have been more vocal with their complaints this time around, so maybe (thinking optimistically here) he might compromise and knock it out of the park next time. Third time's the charm, amiright?

Also keep Kozaki. Kozaki is great.