The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

Yeah, Blue is pretty great; easily my other favorite album of Baroness's.

also what ween should i listen to? is quebec a good place to start?

Sorry for missing this! Yeah, Quebec is a pretty solid starting point, though the albums Dijon recommended are also worth checking out. Quebec and Mollusk are my personal favorites, for what it's worth.

I pretty much grew up on Suzanne Vega's self-titled debut, and I distinctly recall this song as being the first to have a significant emotional impact on me. Even now I still find it hauntingly beautiful.

e: oh yeah if people want a playlist of all the vicar songs I can start putting that together

Edited by Ambling Falchion

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loreena McKennitt is one of my favorite artists and vocalists, and Mystic's Dream has great atmosphere, which the entire first minute is dedicated to building. I really enjoy the imagery the lyrics call to mind as well.

dude hella shoutout i'm a big loreena mckennitt fan, too

now I am going to go listen to your other songs since I remembered this sick thread existed

dude hella shoutout i'm a big loreena mckennitt fan, too

now I am going to go listen to your other songs since I remembered this sick thread existed

Yes Loreena is fantastic

Hope you enjoy the other stuff too!

I'm gonna go ahead and wrap up my vicarage with one of the best performances of one of my favorite songs, Sultans of Swing.

The solos in this performance are fantastic and it's just a blast to listen to.

And the vicarage is passed to Dijon Mustard!

I'm liking the live version of this more than the studio version.

It has that "presence" in live songs that usually makes the live versions better than the originals.

Edited by Disinnocence

ahhh, nothing like a hot cup of peaceful transfer of power to get me up and moving. but what's a hot cup of peaceful transfer of power without a little cream [makes awkward transition to song by 60's psychedelic rock trio Cream] [is overthrown]
[spoiler=Tricky - You Dont]

there are hundreds of albums and zero people i've called "my favorite thing ever." but if you put a gun to my head and made me pick just one favorite, weirdo, i'd go with Maxinquaye by Tricky. so that's where my reign begins

anyone itt brand new to trip-hop, a poorly named genre of music trendy in mid-90's england, would do well to start with dummy by portishead. it's basically a singer-songwriter album with beats and samples instead of an acoustic guitar. so like, warm and cold at the same time (sounds like a thyroid problem!). mezzanine by massive attack is also really cool. blue lines is their more famous album but hot take alert mezzanine is better. then there's maxinquaye ofc. so yeah, that's trip-hop 101.

(trip-hop 201 is the study of sprechgesang. very dry)

whoops, I forgot to exist here. digging this chill vibe you got, man.

also, thanks for the recommendations on (starting) trip-hop. I've been meaning to listen to more after hearing portishead's "glory box" and loving that.

"everything i like is nice" - sly stone, legendary funk musician
"everything i like is nice" - dijon mustard, sf dot net vicar
[spoiler=Sly and the Family Stone - Spaced Cowboy]

yodel-ayyyy
track #9 from there's a riot goin' on

can confirm guitar is pretty. probably my favorite song of the week (so far, at least).

also, since I forgot to vote (again), gonna vote for Pharoahe Monch because he said something about being voted or something somewhere.

please vote for me, i promise you i'll only be the second worst vicar

Edited by Disinnocence

Need to check out these songs when I get home.

Edit: Also tossing a vote for Disinnocence because he voted for me. Mind you, I have a theme lined up if I get voted Vicar.

I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!

Edited by Pharoahe Monch