The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

LAST DAY LAST LAST DAY LADSTAY

this is jai paul, aka the biggest mystery on earth, he had like two songs and then his album leaked unmastered and then he didn't release it and then he disappeared forever???? what the fuck. it's a pretty cool album tho

it's a shame vic mensa decided to start making shitty music!!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think that's a neat idea

And speaking of neat things but not of terrible segues, the first song I'd like to share is Snarky Puppy's What About Me? It's a fun and catchy instrumental fusion(?) piece that I like to bob my head to every now and then.

It's pretty good overall. There are parts of the song that sound a bit messy due to too many instruments but those are few and far between. The vast majority of the song is very clean and fun with that drum solo being absolute gravy. Rising crescendo during the middle of the song starting from that solo is quite excellent.

Yeah, the drums are choice and one of my favorite aspects of the song; they're consistently good on the other tracks of the album too, but What About Me is the only time where he really gets to cut loose.

e: I forgot about Tio Macaco, which also features some nice percussion

Skinny Puppy, huh? I can't say I'm familiar with that group; are they worth checking out?

Edited by Ambling Falchion

their album too dark park is good but imo a somewhat less abrasive album like ministry's the land of rape and honey would be a better starting point for that sort of industrial music (especially if you like metal or a crunchy guitar every now and then)

Thanks for the recs, I checked 'em out and liked them well enough.

Today's song is Ween's Transdermal Celebration, a relatively straightforward rock song with enjoyable, vibrant instrumentals and lyrics that are probably about a trip of some sort. The official music video for the song is a fan animation that Ween decided they liked, and it's worth checking out if you want to see an interpretation of the lyrics centered around aliens and trees.

[spoiler=the music video]

Souvlaki Space Station is the song I choose when I wanna chill and space out. I'm not too familiar with the rest of Slowdive's work, though, so I can't say if this is indicative of their usual sound.

Also, voting Dijon Mustard for next vicar

gonna vote for Dijon Mustard because he's cool and stuff

I haven't really said much, but all the songs so far have been good, especially "what about me?" with those drums being the highlight or something.

also, is anybody else feeling an early radiohead (pablo honey, the bends, etc.) vibe on that ween song, or am I just crazy?

Loreena McKennitt is one of my favorite artists and vocalists, and Mystic's Dream has great atmosphere, which the entire first minute is dedicated to building. I really enjoy the imagery the lyrics call to mind as well. Edited by Ambling Falchion

That sounds simultaneously adorable and annoying, but mostly adorable

Something something segue into song

Baroness's Purple was my favorite album of 2015, and Chlorine and Wine is a big part of why- it's slow, dark, and steady, building to a great payoff. Fun fact: their lead singer does their album artwork, which is pretty cool in my opinion.

^this had me going back to blue record which is still fantastic. classic once-you-go-flac-you-never-go-back album

oh and... Disinnocence

also what ween should i listen to? is quebec a good place to start?

if you ask 7 ween fans what their favorite ween album is you'll get 8 different answers. i say start with chocolate and cheese, perhaps the best "'straightforward' alt rock" ween album, then dive into the mollusk, perhaps the best "genre what-the-fuckery" ween album