The Weekly "Vicar of Music" Thread

Esme

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both were great and I'm definitely gonna check out the rest of Thee Silver Mt. Zion's stuff

since they have a moderately sized catalogue, i'd personally recommend checking out at least one of the following: horses in the sky, he has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corners of our rooms (UGGHHHHHHH), and this is our punk-rock

since they have a moderately sized catalogue, i'd personally recommend checking out at least one of the following: horses in the sky, he has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corners of our rooms (UGGHHHHHHH), and this is our punk-rock

Duly noted

and lmao those names

god yes it's fucking terrible

other hilarious examples:

born into trouble as the sparks fly upwards

13 blues for thirteen moons

"this is out punk-rock," thee rusted satellites gather + sing (the full name)

not to mention all the fucking names the band's had (in order of increasing pretentiousness):

a silver mt. zion

thee silver mt. zion

thee silver mountain reveries

thee silver mt. zion memorial orchestra

thee silver mt. zion memorial orchestra & the tra-la-la band

thee silver mt. zion memorial orchestra & the tra-la-la band with choir

Edited by fuccboi

ty fuccboi for making me aware of this thread. gonna post thoughts here somewhat often (that's a threat btw sns)

for similar things there's... maybe melt-banana? they give me a similar vibe. i don't know a lot about melt-banana though.

ooh i'll field this one. imo the best melt-banana album is cell-scape. some of the funnest guitar playing of the 00's, plus the songs aren't complete lo-fi spazfests like some of their earliest stuff, so it's a good place to start (just make sure you ignore the 10-minute ambient outro. it's whatever). scratch or stitch is also good; the vocals are fuckin chirpy tho (yes, chirpy) and might turn ppl off. you'll know if you like it or not within 5 seconds. if you listen to those albums and simply must have more, you fiend, their other good ones are teeny shiny, fetch, and bambi's dilemma.

[spoiler="All I Wanted Was the Moon" -- Josephine Foster]

strong contender for best non-kanye psychedelic folk song itt. lisnin to hazel eyes now, it's cool and good. makes me wanna revisit the works of vashti bunyan and also herd sheep

yo, kudos to fuccboi for pointing this thread out to us people who don't pay attention to things. (also, <3 silver mt. zion)

let's hope this thread lasts longer than the late sf music clubs i and ii rip in peace.

Both were great and I'm definitely gonna check out the rest of Thee Silver Mt. Zion's stuff

I'd like to second that "He Has Left Us Alone..." would be a good starting point for them (also conveniently being their debut), as I think it's probably the best album to convey to you what the band is, even though later albums seem to be including more singing and such.

tbh, he has left us alone is pretty much godspeed with a little singing

is your campaign for vicar funded by a Super Pac ;) 148689293886392860_1426129405.jpg

It's supported by the Jewel Runners.

On a more serious note, I actually have the full week planned out so that people will at least appreciate rap a little more after this.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

up next is charles mingus' moanin', and i'm having trouble coming up with a blurb for this record that isn't entirely pretentious because this track means a lot to me, not only for it being my introduction to charles mingus (shoutout to sf user rehab) but also because it is, to me, the swinging, unapologetic, definitive expression of cool. it is braggadocio and it is nonchalant coolness at the same time. he shows you around a little, takes you to all the people he knows and places he owns, he tells you he's the greatest, and immediately afterwards shows you he is the greatest, and hey, it's absolutely true.

charles mingus swings, even when he's bopping.

this one just slaps

Edited by Integrity

today's song sure had me "moanin'" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) but yeah i like the music where they play saxophones and stuff

(also, any suggestions for further listening?)

and yeah, the spoiler is acting up for me as well, but i think we already confirmed that.

edit: yeah looks like it was JUST fixed.

Edited by Disinnocence

today's song sure had me "moanin'" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) but yeah i like the music where they play saxophones and stuff

(also, any suggestions for further listening?)

and yeah, the spoiler is acting up for me as well, but i think we already confirmed that.

for mingus? go through blues & roots (the album posted) if you like more swingy bluesy stuff, also check out the classics mingus ah um and the black saint and the sinner lady (both legendary records, hard/post bop tho), plus if you're into big band kinda shit he's done that too, let my children hear music is kinda big band

hth

edit: hold on let me pull up some links

Edited by fuccboi

mingus stuff above:

Better Git It In Your Soul (Mingus Ah Um) very bop

Duet Solo Dancers (The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady) a lot more formless

Hobo Ho (Let My Children Hear Music) kind of a weird record to the point i didn't know which track to best represent it lmao

oh and

Cryin' Blues (Blues & Roots) you'll see what i meant

Edited by fuccboi