How do I approach College?

IceBrand

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you should go now. yeah those things are troublesome, but thats 'cause you're in the HS mindset. it shouldnt take you months to get those things sorted out(unless you're waiting on tax stuff and all but i doubt that takes months)

if you dont know what you want to major in, there are general requirements you have to take anyways, and those serve to sorta introduce you to different fields of interest. some typical advice though, prepared to study for hours on end, of course this varies with classes/majors, but you'll sort it out. and also dont be a fool, always wear a condom. RA's have a huge bowl of them to hand out, its their job so dont feel shy to ask if you have to. if you do go out to parties, make sure you have the number for a taxi, also going in groups helps.

sort out your financials right fucking now

seriously man, there's money out there to get a free college ride but you have to pounce, make sure you know where your college money is coming from before you even get on it. if it's a loan, make sure you have a plan to pay for it.

For your first couple semesters, know that whatever you want to pursue isn't set in stone, but it is good to have an idea. Also, don't panic if your grades aren't as good as your high school grades initially. Try to make friends with similar interests. Don't worry if you're having trouble finding friends initially, once you find one or two then you'll find that they will lead you to more. Clubs are fun, but balance your time (work>play), make sure you're at least up to date with readings. Cut costs whenever possible. Learn the advantages of living on or off campus. Get tips or search as to who the best profs are, and what each class provides. An ideal prof should be both knowledgeable and entertaining. Learn that there will be times you will doubt yourself, struggle, and become depressed or frustrated, but don't quit. Get sleep before midterms and exams.

always wear a condom.

And this

EDIT: Also about loans, I can't help you cause I'm currently just winging it. You should probably find a source of earned income at the least, whether it be a part-time job during school or a summer job

Edited by Knight

whether you should go now or wait depends on you, honestly. I don't believe there's any right answer. A lot of people really appreciate having some down-time between high school and college and perform better for it, but if you feel you wanna just dive right in then go for it, man

my not-yet-said-in-this-thread advise I'll lend, though: talk to your professors! be willing to participate in class, turn things in on time, be friendly and interested in their subject! nurturing positive professor-student relationships is a BIG GOOD IDEA. they have a lot of sway to help you in a lot of ways.

my not-yet-said-in-this-thread advise I'll lend, though: talk to your professors! be willing to participate in class, turn things in on time, be friendly and interested in their subject! nurturing positive professor-student relationships is a BIG GOOD IDEA. they have a lot of sway to help you in a lot of ways.

this a million times but extend it to your administrators and shit, holy crap the things i've gotten pushed through because i'm always nice to the secretaries in the departmental office man.

this a million times but extend it to your administrators and shit, holy crap the things i've gotten pushed through because i'm always nice to the secretaries in the departmental office man.

qft these people get shit done. try not to be a dick to them, i've seen a lot of people lose their temper and all, dont be one of those people.

There is one time I wouldn't wear a condom which is when having sex. U do not need a condom when u have a vaginal instead.

but there are vagina condoms too

always. at all times.

even when you're not having sex you can catch the gay disease if you dont
Edited by :smug:

Alternatively, you could go to a 2 yr college and transfer credits over to a 4 yr institution when you're done. Doing so really helps with costs, as you get the gen eds and other equivalency courses out of the way and at a MUCH lower price than you would at a university, while still getting the same education. I took this route and can safely say that the cost for one semester where I'm at now (depending on where you go, actual numbers may vary) amounted to about 2 full years at a community college. Also, you earn yourself an Associates's Degree when you're done, which, while it isn't a Bachelor's, its still something and all the credits you gained from it can go towards it, should you continue onward to a 4 yr college.

Its a good idea if you don't yet know what you want to study, but at the same time, you'd still have to stay on top of things. One of the best things I'd recommend from my own experience is to have a transfer adviser to help you through the entire process while you're there so you know exactly what classes transfer over.

If I may ask, what year are you currently in HS? Its possible to receive College credit while you're still in HS, if you're willing to go that extra mile and get a head's start.

Profs don't bite. Like even the most intimidating profs I've had are chill people and helpful if you go to their office hours. They are paid to help you. They want you to succeed.

Get your shit done on time. Learn to block sites off your computer if necessary. My procrastination habits are pretty bad, so I just buckled down and physically blocked my internet from accessing my most-frequented time-wasters when I need to study. On macs it's pretty easy, sudo into vim and edit some stuff and you're good to go. No idea how on windows. Google can help you.

Speaking of Google, use it liberally and get good at it. I'm speaking as a programmer where literally everything we do is google shit/stack overflow but

it's very good in general for you to also find out things on your own. Do some research and reverse engineer problems you already have answers to.

Since other people have touched on a lot of the important stuff...

If you go the two-year -> transfer route (like I did), make sure you've got a plan for applying to universities, and for getting letters of recommendation from teachers.

As other people said, talk to your profs and work to actively build good relationships with them. This will also help when you ask them to write you a letter of rec. Don't be afraid to ask a teacher like, "hey application season isn't for a while, but could I ask you to write a letter now while your experience with me is fresher in your mind than it will be in six months?"

Also join clubs (and possibly sign up for a leadership position, even a small one) and maybe student government, it looks really good on applications for stuff.

i'll focus on academics because the social aspect has been touched on and that's mostly learned anyway. my one piece of advice is remember why you're in school before you do something really silly (drinking the day before a midterm, etc.). here's phoenix wright's #1 college guide:

1. expect to fuck up a lot and don't let it bother you. persevere in what you choose to do, as long as you like doing it. do your best.

2. take lots of classes that interest you. doing the bare minimum at university can be a huge waste of money.

3. not everyone planned out their 4 years prior to starting their first day like me. talk to your advisers. i know of 3 separate examples of people fucking up scheduling and having to take heavier course-loads (or worse, extra time at the university) in some quarters because they didn't care to plan. be proactive and know what's coming up.

4. if you're thinking of a humanities major, consider also a technical major. similarly for technical majors. it's tough for a pure math or an art major to get a job after graduation, even if the math student goes to grad school. double-majors are tough, but manageable (even something like physics-history). this is but a suggestion, of course.

5. don't learn material just for a test.

6. have fun bruh

Go to all of your lectures and take notes extensively during them. When in doubt as to whether or not to write something down, write it down. Develop a shorthand and a system that works for you. Get one of those four-colour pens so that you can format it nicely as you're writing them down - as someone who realised this a few weeks into the semester, it is so much easier to scan through when you've formatted your notes well. Make room for a table of contents at the start.

Go to all of your lectures and take notes extensively during them. When in doubt as to whether or not to write something down, write it down. Develop a shorthand and a system that works for you. Get one of those four-colour pens so that you can format it nicely as you're writing them down - as someone who realised this a few weeks into the semester, it is so much easier to scan through when you've formatted your notes well. Make room for a table of contents at the start.

I'm sorry if someone said it already, but if you have a question about something when taking notes or when reading, write it down and ask the prof either during class or at the end.

Preferably at the end, so that in case you think of something intelligent or important, other students don't benefit.

You could always give compsci a shot if you're worried about jobs and don't know what major you wanna do and isn't too awful at math--though compsci is definitely not a major for everyone and if you can't develop a passion for it I don't recommend sticking it out in the long run, no matter how relatively high demand the industry is. The intensity of CS curriculum depends on the school, so I can't say that every CS curriculum is necessarily as tough as the one I went through--but the result is now my brain kinda thinks in code and programming logic half the time and I'm super nocturnal but I have money and I'm a pretty solid programmer in proportion to the amount of experience I have. It's not the kind of job you can tough out if you don't enjoy it, though. I'd recommend giving it a try, and if you like it, then stick with it.