Dub Wars: Japanese or English?

SatsumaFSoysoy

Japanese or English: You can only choose one...  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Branch of Fate - Choose Your Path

• Boku wa eranda! (Japanese)
    • I've decided! (English)
    • Refuse to choose a side (both are good)
    • Both suck
    • JOIIIIIIN SMASH

Yeah, "Beruka" is taking things literally, but it also has a meaning fit for her character ("bearer of victory"). She generally did seem like she'd be on the younger end of the spectrum, due to her being shorter than Selena.

I feel like in general 2/3's of the shit that the dub catches is because those people are used to the Japanese voices. I remember being far from thrilled when we first heard things in the E3 trailer, but after watching it a few times I was okay with it.

I was referring to the peppiness they gave Beruka in the localization. Not so much of a cold-blooded assassin anymore...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both have their perks and flaws.

Example perk of the English version: people may shit on Felicia's English voice, but I love it personally. I far prefer it to the high-pitched voice she had in the Japanese version. Niles, while he has been toned down, still sound exactly like how I thought he would. Rena Strober did an amazing job as Azura to the point where I am desperately trying to find Conquest's version of Lost in Thoughts for my music collection. Also "UGH, MY ACHING BLOOD".

Example flaw of the English version: While Marisha Ray has a lovely voice and does a great job with characters like Margret (Persona 4) and Oboro. her voice just doesn't fit Effie. Speaking of Effie, the JP!Effie is vastly superior to the English one. While I know Nyx is supposed to be an older lady trapped in the body of a 13 year old, her high pitched voice still grates my ears.

Example perk of the English version: people may shit on Felicia's English voice, but I love it personally. I far prefer it to the high-pitched voice she had in the Japanese version. Niles, while he has been toned down, still sound exactly like how I thought he would. Rena Strober did an amazing job as Azura to the point where I am desperately trying to find Conquest's version of Lost in Thoughts for my music collection. Also "UGH, MY ACHING BLOOD".

Glad to see I'm not alone on this Felicia really grew on me. That Odin too lol.

Both versions have their ups and downs. I don't really like JP Felicia very much, but I like their take on Effie and Nyx more. English Effie just doesn't fit the face. On the other hand, English Azura is one of the most fitting and pleasant voices I've heard in a dub. I feel like both versions have very strong male voices (I can't really think of a male character I really dislike) but are hit or miss with the women on both sides. Japan has too much of a preference for high pitched voices but the English version has a few voices that seem like they're trying a little too hard to force quirks.

僕が選んだ。

カムイ(男)をください。

LOL

みんなで一緒に滅べば、みんな一緒になれるのに…

Example flaw of the English version: While Marisha Ray has a lovely voice and does a great job with characters like Margret (Persona 4) and Oboro. her voice just doesn't fit Effie. Speaking of Effie, the JP!Effie is vastly superior to the English one. While I know Nyx is supposed to be an older lady trapped in the body of a 13 year old, her high pitched voice still grates my ears.

I agree on Lost in Thoughts All Alone. I still like Renka's version better, but you can't sleep on Rena Strober's performance. At the time of the E3 trailer, I thought she was only mediocore, but her singing in the full song is pretty damn good.

About this topic, I mean I loved how Awakening was handled, with both dubs. If it were to me... Buy a Japanese copy and use English translations. I find it quite sad that Nintendo has cut out many parts of the confession scenes, Including Camilla, of course( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Her lines have completely changed which bother me the most, and she sounds like a 70 year old woman in her English confession, but in her Japanese confession she sounds like...Well Camilla. Another one hated was Felicia's also cut down from like 15 secs to like 3 seconds.

Japanese because Camilla doesn't sound like my grandmother there, and Hinoka does sound like she's a chain smoker. Then again, I find the Japanese language beautiful (though I can't write it and barely know any words). Far more appealing to the ear than English IMO, though despite its harsh tones I like German most.

I'm more in favor of the Japanese dub, JP!DioZero and JP!Camilla are comparable experiences to sexual intercourse, and I enjoy most of the other voice work too. I'm only about 50% okay on the English dub. A few voices I like even more than the Japanese (Oboro, but her JP voice set the bar low) but a lot are so cringe-worthy I don't even want to use those characters. It would be too much truhbul.

I still stand by Nyx and Effie, who are legit the worst voices in Nohr. Nyx especially. Oooommgggg

This. ENG!Elfie's voice doesn't fit her personality at all and I miss the cold and mature voice of JP!Nyx. It reminds me of Furude Rika from Higurashi when she was doing her serious internal monologues.

Kana is like fucking ten years old. Thats why hes "shot down". Male Kana's voice is reflective of his age. Hes super fucking young. Even more so than the other second gens.

Yeah, those rejections sounded pretty realistic. I can't really see any teenage girl wanting to get romantically involved with a kid who barely hit his two digits. I am 100% down for platonic S supports. Although maybe it would have been nicer to just cut Kana's confession so all HIS S supports aren't unrequited love.

僕が選んだ。
カムイ(男)をください。

Bayonetta...even for you, that was cruel.

Edited by NekoKnight

I was referring to the peppiness they gave Beruka in the localization. Not so much of a cold-blooded assassin anymore...

Her voice is still pretty flat with generally the same intonation throughout. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Guy, she literally squeaks in battle. They don't need to go that far.

Ah, yes. Like there totally wasn't someone else who did so in the Japanese version (*cough* Felicia *cough*).

It really doesn't bother me because (a) it's only when you get hit, and a 50% chance of playing at that and (b) she's a freaking glass cannon so I rarely put her in positions where she can get hit in the first place.

I actually adore Effie's voice. I think Marisha Ray already did well as Oboro and Mikoto, and I find Effie really amusing. It's not the same personality as her Japanese one, but honestly that would be pretty boring. I'm glad they spiced her up in the localization.

I mean, I had a friend who likes Awakening but didn't want this game because of stuff like skinshipping, but after it was removed in the English version and after I showed her Percy (she likes Kid Icarus), Arthur, and Effie, she decided to buy Conquest

Her voice is still pretty flat with generally the same intonation throughout. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Ah, yes. Like there totally wasn't someone else who did so in the Japanese version (*cough* Felicia *cough*).

It really doesn't bother me because (a) it's only when you get hit, and a 50% chance of playing at that and (b) she's a freaking glass cannon so I rarely put her in positions where she can get hit in the first place.

That's why you should play ironman rules. If Nyx gets hit, you'll only have to hear that squeak once and then never again.

But I do hard/casual challenge...

I went Classic so I can kill the units that annoy me. At least you don't have to recruit Nyx. Charlotte and Peri are the first to go.

As for the dub, I prefer the English version, I adore Effie's voice as well. But the Japanese voices would have made me mute the game with in the first few minutes.

That's why you should play ironman rules. If Nyx gets hit, you'll only have to hear that squeak once and then never again.

I must hear this squeak now and compare it to the Japanese version where half the cast sounds like they're doing it when hit.

Also, while I haven't heard much of the localized version, I like the majority of the voices so far although Saizou, Rinkah and Xander sound too nice/don't have deep enough voices. That being said, anything is an improvement over Japanese Pieri, Oboro and Felicia.

Edited by Thane

Personally, I feel that both are good. Sure, there's some English voices that I might not like, but there's also Japanese voices that I don't like either - that's usually the way things are with any dubbed show/game/etc. Honestly, I commend all of the voice actors - Japanese or English - on their performances and breathing life into the characters.

I must hear this squeak now and compare it to the Japanese version where half the cast sounds like they're doing it when hit.

Also, while I haven't heard much of the localized version, I like the majority of the voices so far although Saizou, Rinkah and Xander sound too nice/don't have deep enough voices. That being said, anything is an improvement over Japanese Pieri, Oboro and Felicia.

You thought Saizou's voice wasn't deep enough? That's interesting. I thought it was deep. Honestly, I wished he sounded like Hanzo from the earlier Samurai Warriors entries, though, I think he was voiced by Steve Blum.

It took some getting used to Xander's voice, I will admit. I like the pitch of his Japanese voice but I do like his English voice as well now that I've heard for a while. Ryoma's voice, though... That guy's voice just exudes honorable samurai.

Nyx's voice, I might be the only one who actually found her squeak kind of cute. Granted, I only heard it once because she ended up as pair up fodder for Leo so that I could get my badass cinnamon bun, Forrest. Speaking of which, I really liked his voice. They didn't make him sound effeminate despite his appearance--he's just a guy that likes dressing up and looking adorable. Ophelia, as well, had a cute voice to me. All the Conquest children were pretty good to me, honestly.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Really the only voice I've disliked in English is Effie's. Her VA does an awesome job as other characters in the game, that performance just sounds a bit forced/unnatural. Like a few other people in here, Felicia's grew on me. She had like, one really bad line and that was the one that had the misfortune of being the first one everyone heard haha I couldn't stand her Japanese voice, it's way too high pitched. (and I'm an anime fan so I know squeaky high pitched Japanese girl voices)

I like both voices a lot. At times I think Effie sounds good but other times I really wish I had her Japanese voice. Nyx's is fine with me and Felicia's grew on me after some time. Plus I adore Benny's voice in the English dub as I think it really fits his character.

But obviously Smash is the superior choice.

No comment on Pieri, I'm fine with her. But I really really like Oboro's Japanese voice. It is by far the most unique voice in the game. It sounded a bit weird at first, but it really grew on me. I also respect her voice actress a lot for not only being able to make such a weird voice, but also for her wide vocal range.

Felicia's voice also has a unique flair to it, though I understand that it's annoying to some. Her "A+" skinship line (when you achieve A rank then fill a big heart in the skinship minigame) had me absolutely sold on her voice.

Different standards, I guess.