[SPOILERS] Why does this meme even exist?

Michelaar

Honestly. Why did people even make this Flora meme? When she killed herself, I litterally Cried. I had so much pity witch Felicia. I think its pretty heartless to make memes off that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Because she gets virtually no development, is killed off to make people cry and no other reason, and there's already the pre-existing Sigured meme.

It was an unneeded death used for shock value. Death in writing has a place. It can be used to motivate the heroes (Agent Coulson), it can be used to show just how dire the situation is, it can be done as a sacrifice for a heroic end (Sturm Brightblade), and a few other ways. Unfortunately Flora's death fit none of these because it just wasn't needed. Same with Kaze, his death really didnt make any sense and wasnt needed outside of shock value either. It was more like a Walking Dead death of a minor character than it was a heroic end of an important one.

I still don't like the meme. Like Burn Baby Burn.. Just why?

Welcome to the internet?

Really though, with a death as silly as Flora's, it's bound to happen. Best thing to do is just ignore if it does leave a sour taste in your mouth.

I still don't like the meme. Like Burn Baby Burn.. Just why?

Its the internet, where people will make a joke out of children being tortured, and I am not even joking about that. Hell, there are joke videos about 9/11 now. Even worst is some of the dark evil shit that goes on in things like the Deep Web and what not, but I wont get into that. Being anonymous to everyone you see on the internet helps people act like pieces of shit and not have to worry about real-life consequences most of the time.

People on the internet just suck, its best to try and ignore it the best you can. At least here you have the luxury of saying that you don't really like that joke, and most people here will be kind enough to probably respect your wishes and avoid further use in that thread.

Edited by Tolvir

Is it just me, or would Flora and Sigurd make a hot couple?

Joking aside, no matter what, the internet is going to find some way to make a joke out of it.

Unfortunately Flora's death fit none of these because it just wasn't needed. Same with Kaze, his death really didnt make any sense and wasnt needed outside of shock value either.

I feel like there is a bit of a difference regarding the emotional impact. For Flora's death, it might mean more for Corrin because it is implied that Corrin has known Flora for quite a while. While the player, on the other hand, barely knows her.

While with Kaze, the Corrin knows him as much as the player does. Thus making his death making more of an impact. Especially considering how much of a nice guy he is

At least that is how I feel about it.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Is it just me, or would Flora and Sigurd make a hot couple?

Joking aside, no matter what, the internet is going to find some way to make a joke out of it.

I can see the hubba tester now....

Burning love >>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<Heart aflame

Edited by joshcja

She is pretty hot. But seriously, they're just jokes mang. I also don't like the Sigurd comparison since I find Sigurd's death to have actually had weight to it. But I'll let it slide so I can make "hottest fe couple" jokes.

To actually answer the question, jokes like these exist because some people like dark humor. If you don't then fine just avoid the memes.

Edited by punk emblem

I can see the hubba tester now....

Burning love >>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<Heart aflame

One of the reasons SF should have a like system. I would've given you like 50 million likes.

Though on topic..

It's similar to how people made memes on Emmeryn's death because she jumped to conclusions. (heh) Intelligent Systems just felt they needed to force deaths in attempt to make Hoshido's story more interesting. Which is why people criticize Hoshido's story because they did not need unnecessary deaths for such a simple story line. At least, Awakening handled Emmeryn's death with some sort of purpose, a reason for Chrom to kill Gangrel. Albeit, they handled it poorly, but they handled it better than Fates. All they did was kill off Kaze and Flora because "plot reasons" which doesn't even progress the story in a meaningful way, unlike Emmeryn's death.

Then again people also meme Aerith's death.

Edited by ~Summer~

Flora's death is supposed to be shocking and out of nowhere. Even the characters in the scene themselves can't understand why Flora would choose to die. Even in real life, often times, when a close family or friend commits suicide, the ones who survive them never knew or noticed how close they were to the edge. Depression is a downward spiral and often those afflicted by it never tell their circumstances to anyone and it becomes a self-feeding cycle. This was the case with Flora, who not only has a bad habit of bottling things in, but was also under special circumstances that kept her from fully opening up to Felicia, Corrin, and Jakob.

That scene is meant to be a call to attention to her character. That there is something very, very wrong with her.

When she killed herself, I [literally] Cried. I had so much pity [with] Felicia.

I have to ask, did you end up playing conquest first? It's probably the case that players who played birthright first might not have much reason to care for her character. I also imagine the player might not have had any attachment to Felicia either if the player picked a female Corrin.

It was an unneeded death used for shock value. Death in writing has a place. It can be used to motivate the heroes (Agent Coulson), it can be used to show just how dire the situation is, it can be done as a sacrifice for a heroic end (Sturm Brightblade), and a few other ways. Unfortunately Flora's death fit none of these because it just wasn't needed.

I disagree with Flora's death being just for shock value. It serves to drive home one of the key points of her character that when she says that she doesn't deserve to be happy, she means it. (The Flora X FCorrin A rank support & Flora vs Jakob conquest boss conversation touches on this subject. I'd also cite this as the reason why she can only support Corrin and Felicia even if it's not necessarily intentional by the writers).

The real crime is that you need to play Conquest and get Flora's supports before this scene to understand.

EDITS: First let me disclose that while I know the general events of this chapter, I have yet to play it myself.

Flora's death is supposed to be shocking and out of nowhere. Even the characters in the scene themselves can't understand why Flora would choose to die. Even in real life, often times, when a close family or friend commits suicide, the ones who survive them never knew or noticed how close they were to the edge. Depression is a downward spiral and often those afflicted by it never tell their circumstances to anyone and it becomes a self-feeding cycle. This was the case with Flora, who not only has a bad habit of bottling things in, but was also under special circumstances that kept her from fully opening up to Felicia, Corrin, and Jakob.
That scene is meant to be a call to attention to her character. That there is something very, very wrong with her.

I see the argument that Nohr!Corrin and the Nohrian siblings' submissiveness to Garon similar to how in abusive relationships, what may be obvious to an outsiders perspective isn't the case as the victim.

While I personally don't have any experience with abusive relationships(thankfully), I don't think this argument holds up to me because as someone wouldn't know this experience, I feel that I didn't gain this insight at all.

Would you say someone who isn't really aware about depression could come to a similar conclusion? I do agree that Flora's habit of bottling things in is a point in her favor but I also have personal experiences with this so I'm unsure myself.

Edited by MarkI/O

The scene is meant to be shocking, kind of like Sigurd's (since we have to compare those two). The thing is, Sigurd's death was shocking, well done, and simply badass. Fiora's death is, at best, funny and at worst, stupid as all hell. Just like the rest of the plot.

Just IMO, but visibly, I'm not the only who think the same..

Sigurd and Greil's death => Good.

Emmeryn and Fiora's death => Complete and utter Crap.

That, however, is purely imo.

.... But Fiora is hotter than Em, so she's better. Eh ? Eeeeeh ?

The double standards here are hilarious. Sigurd was some heroic guy so his tragic and valiant death meant something.

Yet people laugh at the depressed girl committing suicide? It's terrible. I find it hilarious myself that people actually find Flora's death funny and any worse than Sigurd's death. Sigurd's death didn't mean anything in comparison to Flora's. Flora's death has a far more profound touch than Sigurd's, which really was for shock value.

People will look for literally any way to criticize Fates' story.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

I see the argument that Nohr!Corrin and the Nohrian siblings' submissiveness to Garon similar to how in abusive relationships, what may be obvious to an outsiders perspective isn't the case as the victim.

While I personally don't have any experience with abusive relationships(thankfully), I don't think this argument holds up to me because as someone wouldn't know this experience, I feel that I didn't gain this insight at all.

Would you say someone who isn't really aware about depression could come to a similar conclusion? I do agree that Flora's habit of bottling things in is a point in her favor but I also have personal experiences with this so I'm unsure myself.

You don't need to experience depression to be sympathetic to someone who is depressed. That scene in question piqued my interest in the character. I wanted to know why she would choose to kill herself, and in such a horrible and painful way at that. What I found was a rich background hidden behind a character who at first appeared to be a stereotypical cliche. Knowing the background of the character helped me gain an understanding and appreciation for her actions in the story, and even made her suicide scene feel more impactful when I next viewed it. She's obviously not meant to be a major character, but I found it great how playing the other route allows you gain a totally different view of the character by looking at her from a different perspective.

Was Flora's death the worst in Birthright? No, that would be Kaze optional death. Is it still poorly handled? Oh without a doubt, and that's why people laugh at it. It's not funny because a character is committing suicide, it's funny because the poor execution makes the scene unintentionally humorous.

It comes out of nowhere, her reasoning for it defies logic and can only make some sort of sense if you already knew about the character by playing one of the other two routes first and happened to upgrade the right thing to level 3 and then happened to actually use her to get supports, her sudden magical fire powers are never explained, and with how long the scene is dragged out all comes together and just makes the whole thing silly.

What doesn't help is that her death doesn't actually do anything, nothing changes after she dies. Corrin is angrier at Garon than he already was right after it happens, Felicia is sad at the beginning of the next chapter, and then it's completely forgotten by everyone.

Sigurd, main character. He's a deconstruction of the 'Lord hero who want to do everything right', his downfall was calculated by various antagonists, He was betrayed by Alvis, and after being utterly destroyed by freaking FALAFLAME, his army was destroyed by a swarm of meteorites. Oh, and he discovered that his wife was stollen away and don't remember him. His last words were 'ALVIS YOU DASTARD !' Which is a meme by itself, and also one of the proof that lines from a 16-bit game can still be better and more meaningful than 2016 games.

Finally his death was the end of the first generation of the game, and the start of the second generation.

Fiora, meawhile is a secondary character. She is deppresed, and has an interesting past, not gonna lie. But then what ? What does her death give to the plot ? Or anything at all ? Everything is still the same.

Oh, she is burning herself alive... without screaming. She just talk. Calmly. Which make it even harder to take the scene seriously. And the things she babble about...

It has nothing to do with double standard, so please... don't say it is guys, don't.

Edited by B.Leu