Does Anybody still like Awakening more than Fates.

Not sure if I've already said this considering how long and old this thread is, but something I always liked about Awakening was how you could buy Rescue staves. I dunno, it was broken but it was so much fun and it did add to the strategical depth rather than subtract from it (I mean, even without it, lowmanning was going to be a thing anyways sooooooo...).

That being said, it doesn't make Awakening a bad game infact if it weren't for that game, Fates wouldn't have existed in the first place as I still will have my respects towards Awakening. Afterall, how can I forget Tharja?

The same way you forget a bad date; lots of alcohol.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I've already said this considering how long and old this thread is, but something I always liked about Awakening was how you could buy Rescue staves. I dunno, it was broken but it was so much fun and it did add to the strategical depth rather than subtract from it (I mean, even without it, lowmanning was going to be a thing anyways sooooooo...).

The same way you forget a bad date; lots of alcohol.

I think that's what makes it fun.

I was thinking of something witty to say and I'm sure I'll think of it again...ah right on cue...

I am the sort of person who might enjoy new gameplay features, might like new challenges, hell might even like the new characters, but there was a crutial difference between Fates and Awakening for me that I have to point out...that most people are likely going to hate me for it.

Think back a bit to the first time you started to play Awakening/Fates. Without everyone breathing down your neck about one or the other. Chances are you might have enjoyed Awakening, gotten all the references to past games and most importantly HAD FUN.

Now for someone that has come from Pokemon and their version exclusive crap, I don't like Fates, because I've already had to deal with not being allowed to get certain pokemon because I didn't have the "right" version. That is still a thing and I know it's to encourage people to trade and what not, but it is still frustrating. And Fates pulled the version exclusive crap. Forcing players to buy two (or three or the special edition) games to get the full story.

Awakening was the game (asside from Pokemon Conquest) that seriously opened my eyes to Fire Emblem as a franchise. I would not have known that FIre Emblem was even a thing if not for Awakening. I'll admit the fourth chapter of the game was the most frustrating part until I actually figured it out (some two years later from when I got the game because I'm special like that). And after that I actually had fun with it. Even now when I pick up Awakening it's to have fun. Something that isn't happening in Fates.

To me Fates is a chore. I've played through all three pathways and the only things that was actually worth while was some of the supports, some music and my castle. Although I did ban the use of my castle and grinding in Birthright as well as supports to make it more challenging for me without losing characters (I would have killed the Hoshian army a hundred times over as well as Corrin).

fates is really off putting to me aesthetically, so can't really give a fair answer here. i played birthright, which was a snooze fest. the maps are uninteresting, the characters don't really appeal, and the story is generic even for fe standards. awakening has some of those problems too, but at least the story had potential to be better, and the characters aren't deep but they're at least fun enough to stay invested.

conquest i hear has good gameplay, and a friend was telling me i would like it based on radiant dawn. but unfortunately i didn't really have the budget to buy all three of these games, so i picked birthright because conquest's story sounded offensively bad. maybe i'll one day be able to get around to at least getting revelations, which sounds like "the real game."

For example: I'm so much for original classes I did not reclassified ever during my first runs on Awakening and in every route of Fates.

an important amount of newcomers wish to leave them as their originals classes and respective branching. This is far from your case (on the newcomer thing), though. Me? While I think something like, say, Wyvern Panne (or anything not-Taguel) looks pretty bad, I pretty much only do it for Quickburn.

i reclassed for skills, but almost always kept characters in their default tree for the final class. the support convos/story always bases the characters on that default class, and it's the only way for them to not look generic.

some exceptions though, like having owain and lon'qu as dread fighters because swordmasters are awful and assassins look weird.

an important amount of newcomers wish to leave them as their originals classes and respective branching. This is far from your case (on the newcomer thing), though. Me? While I think something like, say, Wyvern Panne (or anything not-Taguel) looks pretty bad, I pretty much only do it for Quickburn.

No, I mean original portrait classes.

Like... unpromoted.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You can also buy them in BR and Revelations. It's weird, but I don't think a staff like that should have been limited in any route (I mean technically you could go Online but... Eh...). That's just... Wrong. And I agree, I love funky staves.

You can also buy them in BR and Revelations. It's weird, but I don't think a staff like that should have been limited in any route (I mean technically you could go Online but... Eh...). That's just... Wrong. And I agree, I love funky staves.

you can't go online to buy those kinds of staffs

you can't go online to buy those kinds of staffs

It's called visiting other people's "my castles" which is online. You can't visit them in any other way. I tried and it wouldn't let me.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

For me, Fates is a better game, but Awakening is more enjoyable to play.

Like if I were to give the two games a rating, then Fates would end up with a higher score, but if I were to rank the games from most to least favorite, then Awakening would beat Fates.

If the topic asked which of the two is a better game, then I would've answered Fates. But since it asks which of the two is liked more, I'll have to answer Awakening.

It's called visiting other people's "my castles" which is online. You can't visit them in any other way. I tried and it wouldn't let me.

You should really check the tone of your posts, as you sound pretty snarky while missing what they meant entirely.

Limited buy items aren't purchasable from other's My castles. Only infinite amount items.

Those include rescue and status staves which the originally quoted person said "you could go online". But the person you quoted said those cannot be obtained that way.

And yes, technically you can visit other people's castles via streetpass/homepass.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You should really check the tone of your posts, as you sound pretty snarky while missing what they meant entirely.

Limited buy items aren't purchasable from other's My castles. Only infinite amount items.

Those include rescue and status staves which the originally quoted person said "you could go online". But the person you quoted said those cannot be obtained that way.

And yes, technically you can visit other people's castles via streetpass/homepass.

Then you're taking the wrong tone from my post for no reason.

Somehow I thought that the rescue staffs were able to be bought. My bad.

I hasten to add that there are not enough Fates players where I live so streetpass is redundant for me.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

Then you're taking the wrong tone from my post for no reason.

The way you said "it's called visiting other people's my castles" it doesn't in any way seem humble or an attempt to help.

You either implied they didn't know how to even visit castles or that you were sounding like you were correcting them on a condescending fashion.

Regardless of my opinion, I had a reason. And I'll let the person you quoted decide how to take your comment. I shouldn't bother trying to educate you on forum social behavior and your responsibility to be aware of the implications of your posts.

As for the person who needs confirmation:

Your shop:

dPHQoyI.jpg

Other my castle shops:

xPurxRj.jpg

Edited by shadowofchaos

Honestly, fate's writing decisions were pretty bad.

Not only that but to me, Fates just didn't feel like a Fire Emblem game.

I don't know why maybe it's just me but it just didn't settle right with me.

I feel that Awakening's story and characters were much better than Fates' but the gameplay of Fates heavily outdoes Awakening's. That being said, I still prefer certain elements of each story and gameplay over the other games but overall, I felt like I could ignore Awakening's problems more. Having Corrin as a self insert amongst characters I wasn't compelled to save kinda ruined the game for me in a way.

I am gonna try and create a list of things I feel like Awakening or Fates did better, if I can think of everything.

(Please note I haven't played either in a fairly long time as I have been focusing on studies so this is just going off my memory)

Awakening:

- Story. Plain and simple. While it was not by any means great and was pretty cliché after watching anime or reading manga, it still gave an emotional connection and had no plot holes or absurd events like Fates did.

- Characters. This is a bit more subjective but I want to draw attention to mainly the character integration to the story. Awakening's child characters had some good supports with parents and were decent reads. Of course, there was an occasional hiccup but it isn't forced in as fanservice like Fates and is just a lot smoother compared to half of the gimmicky supports of the children and parents within Fates. For Fates, they also neglect the divide in cultures which is HUGE in a game about two nations coming together when they are completely different. There are next to no supports that show anyone trying to adjust to the cultural habits and lifestyle of the two nations in comparison to Awakening where the children show problems due to the past. Examples being Owain or Gerome who have completely changed due to their losses and having to deal with the new world which they are alienated from. I would also like to draw more attention to Corrin and Robin. Robin had a lot going on, the dependence on others and lack of confidence in his abilities, constantly blaming himself etc etc but Corrin felt like cardboard in comparison. His naive and idiotic decisions distanced (for me at least) him from being a reliable character for self-inserts which is the main point of his character. Not only this, he is showered with affection when it isn't really necessary where as Robin earns it, which is pretty much what Awakening is all about. Atop of this, whoever the hell thought that giving him complete command over the army was a smart idea should be strapped to a chair and forced to complete chapter 10 conquest on lunatic difficulty over and over. Seriously, who the hell thought it was a good idea? With Corrin, I felt alienated from him because he would make stupid choices that I, or any rational person would make. Sure, you could treat him as a seperate character and its sorta justified given his conditions but whats the point of him being customisable then? I could go on about more such as Owain/Inigo/Severa or even Anna but you get the picture.

- Forging. Okay, again, a bit more subjective but dang, getting 100 copies of the same weapon over and over and having people have to farm them to make good weapons is kinda stupid. Awakening's forging was much more simple, removes the time needed to get a 7+ weapon which makes attacks so big that some S rank weapons are useless (what is the point in having them if you can forge something to be more powerful?). Weapons in general are all over the place in Fates. In birthright, iron weapons are typically better than silver because of the speed reliant units. They also screwed up the balancing of hidden weapons and made them the new ranged physical weapons... I am appreciative of the other weapon balancing though.

Fates:

- The visuals and map design were outstanding. I do think that some of the maps were a bit gimmicky (snow? really? whyyyy?). Its much better than the old route the enemy or get to this point style maps.

- Classes and skills. Much more balanced this time around and much more classes to play around with.

-

(Okay so I will edit this later but I need to go, so for the time being, have the skeleton of what I want to write out)

Awakening has a fair bit of plotholes, even excluding the obvious plotholes with Archanea/Jugdral/Valentia, there's stuff like Panne saying her mother died when she was a baby, and she never knew her(Yarne support). Or her claiming her taguel mother raised her, and taught her not to hate humans(Ricken support).

Awakening has a fair bit of plotholes, even excluding the obvious plotholes with Archanea/Jugdral/Valentia, there's stuff like Panne saying her mother died when she was a baby, and she never knew her(Yarne support). Or her claiming her taguel mother raised her, and taught her not to hate humans(Ricken support).

I believe over all Awakening is better than Fates in terms of story. Fates just...well didn't sit well with me for various reasons.

story-wise, it's probably hoshido > awakening > nohr (although hoshido's story isn't that good or interesting, the bar is just low here)

gameplay-wise, nohr > awakening > hoshido

Edited by Radiant head

May I ask what these reasons are?

While I cannot speak for TheSilentChloey, I can speak for myself in regards to the matter.

Simply put, in the end of the day most of the Awakening plit holes where either things that were just never explained (and thus easier to fill in the blankswith headcanon's and such) or did not impact the narrative all that much. The story was cliche and basic, but it did it's job well enough not to make me frustrated with what was happening. But most importantly it felt complete, like it had a begining, middle, and end.

Fates had plotholes that were far more distracting to the narrative, a extreemly mary sue protagonist I could not relate to at all, a plot solit among 3 games where I had to spend $80 to get the whole thing. It made all of the sane mistakes Awakening did in terms of story, only it did even more things wrong on top of it.

In the end of the day the big thing is this. If you ignore the existence of previous games Awakening at least more or less makes sense within its own narrative. Fates, which is in its own universe, can't even manage to do that.

Edited by TheWerdna

personal opinion and we've seen how well that gets recieved by some people.

It's more so because some of your justifications of personal opinions aren't based on reasonable things.

Most people, including myself, agree with you that Awakening is more likable and the superior option in story. We also agree with you with certain gameplay aspects in which Awakening is superior.

However, you have criticism of the gameplay aspects earlier in the thread were also called out by people other than myself for unreasonable and illogical conclusions. Most of all, a reason you dislike fates for a reason that defies all form of logic.

That's why you have the reputation you have in this section of the forum.

An uninformed opinion is generally something that doesn't work well with a medium of discussion. Not because this forum or its members can't handle personal opinions like you just implied. We've been fine for years before Awakening. And we had things like Radiant Dawn to clash about.

So, please, save the victim card for another day.

For example, the post above outlines a very nice, solid criticism about Fates' lack of cohesive vision and the price tag, without doing any exaggeration, which you are notorious for.

What comes to mind is the price tag you presented in AUD. Not only do you make the mistake of not clarifying the value of the currency you have, you also failed to do research on why the price was inflated in your country. Which was your own fault when criticizing the game with that point. It damages your credibility and brings doubts in your fact checking to form your opinion.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It's more so because some of your justifications of personal opinions aren't based on reasonable things.

Most people, including myself, agree with you that Awakening is more likable and the superior option in story. We also agree with you with certain gameplay aspects in which Awakening is superior.

However, you have criticism of the gameplay aspects earlier in the thread were also called out by people other than myself for unreasonable and illogical conclusions. Most of all, a reason you dislike fates for a reason that defies all form of logic.

That's why you have the reputation you have in this section of the forum.

An uninformed opinion is generally something that doesn't work well with a medium of discussion. Not because this forum or its members can't handle personal opinions like you just implied. We've been fine for years before Awakening. And we had things like Radiant Dawn to clash about.

So, please, save the victim card for another day.

For example, the post above outlines a very nice, solid criticism about Fates' lack of cohesive vision and the price tag, without doing any exaggeration, which you are notorious for.

What comes to mind is the price tag you presented in AUD. Not only do you make the mistake of not clarifying the value of the currency you have, you also failed to do research on why the price was inflated in your country. Which was your own fault when criticizing the game with that point. It damages your credibility and brings doubts in your fact checking to form your opinion.

And once again you butt in where you didn't need to.

I did rectify most of my mistakes by mentioning that it was AUD (which you ignored by the way) in my original post. Don't try pulling crap please.