Does Anybody still like Awakening more than Fates.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I have already overly spoiled myself for Fates I can say that I will deinately be going back to Awakening. I haven't played it myself yet and will doubtless get to it tomorrow when I go and collect the game that I pre-ordered, which I would have done with Awakening rather than Fates, but c'est la vie.

Even though there is so little to look forward to (I mean come on they don't even have Ignus for F!Corrin or the other ladies and Ignus is one of my favourite skills ever not counting Galeforce and Vengence!) I will try the game, doubtless I won't like it as much as Awakening (what with no female grandmasters and my favourite class sorcerer being relegated to near useless without Mire). For me Awakening was fun and I didn't have to feel so worried that my strategies wouldn't work. My current run has been as close to deathless as I've ever gotten (for normal casual) and I got more characters to cap their stats as well, which was unheard of when I started the game. If anything Fates sounds to me like a game that won't be anywhere near as kind to defensive strats as Awakening was. It also won't allow me to get the fun of capping every single unit to their maximum potential :/

I tried going back to Awakening after binge playing Fates yesterday. NEVER AGAIN

Holy shit, Fates massively dates Awakening, and with the exception of Tiki, every Awakening character I liked also appears in Fates. Fates also has a story I actually enjoy, even if I can't call it good.

Hell, thanks to Corrin being a manakete, I literally made a Tiki avatar to get my favorite FE character in Fates

I tried going back to Awakening after binge playing Fates yesterday. NEVER AGAIN

Holy shit, Fates massively dates Awakening, and with the exception of Tiki, every Awakening character I liked also appears in Fates. Fates also has a story I actually enjoy, even if I can't call it good.

Hell, thanks to Corrin being a manakete, I literally made a Tiki avatar to get my favorite FE character in Fates

So... what? When a new fire Emblem comes out and updates some stuff. That mean you won't go back to Fates. I mean There are some classes I like better in Awakening like Dread fighter and classes like Bride I want to be in Fates. But Like I in opening of my topic said it your opinion.

Speaking as someone who has only started playing both games in the last month or so, I'll say the following.

I haven't gotten particularly far in either one, but so far Awakening seems much better to me in terms of story. I've heard people say plenty of bad things about the story, and I imagine I'll experience them soon enough, but as of the end of Chapter 9, everything seems perfectly reasonable for a Fire Emblem game; sure, the weird gimmicks like Vaike forgetting his Axe and Kellam not being noticed by anyone were kind of silly, but I don't think they were so bad. On the other hand, I'm about halfway through Conquest, and Corrin seems like a clueless idiot to me for the obvious reasons.

On the other hand, Fates (imo) destroys Awakening in terms of gameplay. The variety of objectives (at least in Conquest) is kind of refreshing after playing through 10 straight rout maps. I kind of like the new weapon triangle implementation, and all of the nerfs they made to 1-2 ranged weapons, etc. It makes for an interesting new challenge.

I never jumped on the Awakening hate train as much as other people did but Fates being a lot better then Awakening strikes me as a given. Awakening was a very experimental game for the series and as its first successor in the new style Fates has the chance to learn from what worked in Awakening and what did not.

Pair ups are a good example of that. Its debut in Awakening was very unbalanced, some say even game breaking. Fates could look at that and tweak it accordingly.

I think the characters are an example as well. To match the new ''dating sim'' style Awakening made its characters a lot more out there, more expressive and gimmicky so it would be quickly became apparent who would fit your tastes and which characters would go well together. The balance in Awakening went a bit to much to the Gimmicky direction according to many. There are still a lot of gimmicky characters in Fates but I think a better balance between depth and expression was reached.

The story...um...eh...well I like to think IS learned something from Awakening's story too. The story is the weak points of fates but for different reasons its the weak point of Awakening.

- The story. I think most people will agree with me that Awakening's story is superior to all three of Fates'. But honestly, I never understood why Awakening's story is considered so bad. It's fairly standard stuff but I don't see what makes it much worse than any of the other stories in the series, and I actually feel like they did a good job handling the three separate story arcs and keeping the characters' actions consistent and understandable. It works for me.

I think the overall whole of Awakening's story is lacking but it had some individual moments that were very nicely done. Things like the death of Emyrin or the Future past dlc's.

I think the problems of Awakenings story is that everything just felt so short and that the world building is very lacking. Gangrel is introduced as the leader of the enemy country but he's taken down in about four chapters. That's about the lengt of the Oliver arc in Por. In that arc we learned a great deal about Begnion, about the Laguz and the political situation of Tellius. In the same amount of chapters in Awakening we learn very little about its world. Ylisse and Plegia never become anything more then the good nation and the evil one. And this is the pattern Awakening follows. Walhart last about as long as Gangrel did and his arc as well gives us very little information about Valm.

A boon of having fewer nations is that you can focus a lot on them. That's why I'm so fond of the world building of Blazing sword. Lycia, Bern and Sacea are being differentiated from each other early on but I just don't see that about Ylisse, Plegia and Ferox. They stick to the one trait they were given at the start.

Other things aren't as worked out as they should either. In Por the genocide of Serenes is a subplot in its own right. In Awakening the tagual genocide is clearly inspired by the Serenes one, up to the female religious leader bowing down to a survivor and apologizing but its presented more with Panne going ' That genocide happened once, now I'm going to call you all manspawn''. That's about all the details we are getting and that kinda hurt Panne's character.

The lacking worldbuilding is more damaging to Awakening because its world does bring certain question with it. Why is Marth's homeland part of evil Plegia and why is it a desert? Where did all the countries of Akenaia go exactly?

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Ylisse isn't entirely presented as a good nation, though. Chrom even acknowledges that Plegia has some right to be pissed off because Chrom's dad went and ruined both countries during his insane crusade. It shows that good intentions aren't always enough because Chrom's dad's unthinking brute force is the very thing that pushed Plegians toward the thing he was trying to prevent. The damage is so lasting that that Ylisse defending itself in the next war only ensures the absolute power of the Grimleal.

I suppose the backstory does count but by the time of the game Ylisse is completely goody two-shoes. There aren't any leftovers of that old guard that acted hostile before and no character(Okay, there is one traitor with one second of screentime) is ever shown as bad or shady. Its a nation full of boyscouts.

Having reached chapter 20 of Conquest in Fates I will say this:

Having little or no experence hurts game play a little.

Aside from that Conquest is alright, I guess. Not as good as Awakening with training and skills being a moot point (thus a waste of time to have children), but at least I can work with it. I'd still go back to play Awakening hands down.

I never liked Awakening much to begin with. It's a generic, slightly-below average with some poorly implemented elements here and there, FE story.

To begin just let me point out that I didn't mind the time travel plot point: it's nearly impossible to come up with a story like that without plot holes. The Valm arc was literally just that: an arc. There needed to be something there to give an excuse to continue the complete-the-emblem objective. If this was explored as the main aspect of the story, as opposed to the typical defeat the evil dude and the ancient dragon, it could have been much more interesting. This wasn't my main turn off from the game however, as FE plots are almost traditionally lackluster.

The gameplay is horrendous. Lunatic+ is just...you know. Pray to the RNG gods. Lunatic is much the same, though doable. The map design being absolutely horrendous restricts strategic possibilities in the higher difficulties. NM and HM are both retardedly easy, so it leaves no middle ground difficulty in the game.

While I do enjoy the pair up system, it quickly stood out as game-breaking. Also, the fact that you can even nosferatank at all is pretty lol, not that I didn't dedicate an entire playthrough to it just to laugh as Henry joyously slaughtered entire armies.

Birthright and Conquest both beat out Awakening storywise for me. Birthright possesses gameplay improvements, but is left in the dust by Conquest. Then again, I'd say that Conquest wipes the floor with it's gameplay in comparison to most of the series.

Awakening's story does beat out Revelation though. I'm not sure the lack of emotional attachment I felt during the 3rd route can be compared to any other FE game, besides maybe Gaiden. So much wasted potential in the interactions between the royals.

Didn't like the characters of Awakening either. There are exceptions, of course, but overall they felt two-dimensional and forgettable.

Also, did I mention Emmeryn? Oh, how could I leave you out, my sweet sweet pity bait. Her death serving as an instigator for character growth in Chrom and Lissa and as fuel for starting a war is just fine, however don't expect me to care for a character that dies before even the halfway point of the game. This is something that I liked about Fates: yes, Mikoto is also that same peace-loving queen, but she dies early simply so that the hatred between the two sides can really be ignited. I could be wrong, but it almost seemed like a nod to the overly-emotionalized death of Emmeryn.

I felt less attachment to Mikoto. Waaayyy less. Emmeryn dying later on during the game would have helped, but what we got instead was at least a bare minimum.

Fates killed off so many characters, backstory included, for no reason at all. Most of them have no impact on the plot. I'd rather have everyone survive if IS can't write death scenes in a meaningful way. Did seeing any of the Anankos controlled parents actually do anything besides shoehorning in the kids? Though, FE tends to have that problem anyway.

Edited by Slyfox

I felt less attachment to Mikoto. Waaayyy less. Emmeryn dying later on during the game would have helped, but what we got instead was at least a bare minimum.

Fates killed off so many characters, backstory included, for no reason at all. Most of them have no impact on the plot. I'd rather have everyone survive if IS can't write death scenes in a meaningful way. Did seeing any of the Anankos controlled parents actually do anything besides shoehorning in the kids? Though, FE tends to have that problem anyway.

I felt no attachment to her either, and I found that a good thing. If they wanted to make the player care, they should have pushed Emmeryn's death back at least a few chapters and given her some good character development. I liked that Mikoto's death was solely an early on plot device.

And yeah, a lot of those random deaths were pointless. I like when characters get killed as part of the story, but all of the characters including Corrin seemed to forget about their losses in like a chapter or two at most which really takes away from the immersion. The royals' deaths are another matter however, as I think those were mostly well done. I hadn't even played Birthright yet at the time and

Ryoma's

death made me truly sad. That was a character death well done. I almost felt bad at how quickly Kaze was forgotten. The Anankos possessions indeed held no weight on the story, but revelations as a whole was just... you know the word.

I honestly felt like the story in Fates was weaker than Awakening. Part of that is the sort of mental disconnect that Corrin created between gameplay and story. With Robin, I felt a bit more like I was within the world; partially due to the amnesia allowing me to come up with my own story for them; partially due to the game outright stating that Robin had a gift for tactics. In a particular support, Corrin is told they're terrible with strategy, which makes me feel removed from the world. Imagine, you're playing on Lunatic with classic mode enabled when this support comes up, and you haven't lost a single unit.

Awakening pulled the illusion of choice really well in my eyes; a particular example in chapter 9 that I won't go into detail because of potential spoilers comes to mind. I legitimately played through that chapter again just to see if my choice would make a difference. The same situation happened in the Endgame, because I had grown so attached to the characters that I wanted to try and make the right choice, even if it didn't actually matter

Aside from a select few, the characters in Fates seemed really shallow, and the children characters felt forced. Awakening managed to write the kids into the story without feeling like they're just there for the sake of having kid characters, and each one felt unique. Even the subtle differences between male Morgan and female Morgan made them feel like different people, and their supports with their siblings really helped build my love for them.

In terms of mechanics however, Fates has Awakening beat by a wide margin. The castle features are probably my favorite addition, and the changes to the Pair Up system help keep the game balanced within the great new PVP mode. Seige weapons coming back are also another layer of icing on the cake.

All in all, they're both good games in their own right, but if given the chance, I would give Awakening the mechanics of Fates. I'm on the fence as to which I like more.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "deal with this"?

Did the shippers attacked for not marrying Robin to either Chrom ot Lucina?

Cause I remember you married Olivia.

Did some viewers attacked for that?

It's not attacked, moreso flooding of my inbox when English Awakening and 3ds capture cards were still new.

It was annoying as hell finding 3 PMs a day requesting the Chapter 21 scene with Lucina as their bride. Which prompted me to do the Waifu Execution video (in addition to a joke by OmegaEvolution) in the first place.

As for FeMU x Chrom shippers, they wouldn't stop bashing Sumia on her confession scenes in support and forced marriage versions.

I like Awakening more than Fates. Okay, this is basically a big complaint post...

I find Fates gameplay just as enjoyable as Awakening's. My problem is the story. Firstly, it's a given that FE stories are generally simple. And that's fine, nothing wrong with simplicity. The one thing they could all really improve on is having a more dimensional antagonist, but whatever. It's more about the gameplay than having a "meaningful" narrative. So with that said...

Awakening plot is pretty solid, simple enough ("kids go back to past to prevent disaster"), but writing is meh. Could be more concise, less cheesy. But Fates' writing is even worse. Even less concise, cheesier, more one-dimensional, and dialogue sounds more unnatural. I haven't finished Fates yet (went through Birthright, currently nearly at the end of Conquest) so I can't rightfully judge the plot, but whatever "big surprise" is being set up feels more complicated than it needs to be... Even if I'm wrong on that, the writing alone is enough for me to favor Awakening more. Tropes and characterizations are fine, but executions are disappointing via supports. Ex. repetitive patterns in conversation (a lot of them apologize to another for offending them, saying "Wait!" a lot) and unrealistic patterns (many are invasive so quickly like ???). There are lots of ways to write developing friendships.

Most of all, I strongly dislike the Awakening clones, the reincarnation stories behind them (they were not creative about it + I reiterate bad execution), and bringing back child units. Do I really have to point out the obvious plot device excuse for the children's existences? Seriously: what was in Awakening should have stayed there.

The children are completely irrelevant to the plot, and while I understand that they were an exciting and popular change for gameplay, I think they should've stayed as an Awakening thing. It makes sense that they were there. Instead of reusing a game aspect that wasn't as successful narrative-wise, they could've found another new thing to do.

Despite all that said, I am immensely enjoying Fates, and still love my fav characters. And to not completely bash on it and be fair, there are some saving supports. A lot of Felicia's, Kaden's, and Jakob's supports are decent. Jakob+Takumi crack me up.

Edited by adacis

I honestly felt like the story in Fates was weaker than Awakening. Part of that is the sort of mental disconnect that Corrin created between gameplay and story. With Robin, I felt a bit more like I was within the world; partially due to the amnesia allowing me to come up with my own story for them; partially due to the game outright stating that Robin had a gift for tactics. In a particular support, Corrin is told they're terrible with strategy, which makes me feel removed from the world. Imagine, you're playing on Lunatic with classic mode enabled when this support comes up, and you haven't lost a single unit.

Awakening pulled the illusion of choice really well in my eyes; a particular example in chapter 9 that I won't go into detail because of potential spoilers comes to mind. I legitimately played through that chapter again just to see if my choice would make a difference. The same situation happened in the Endgame, because I had grown so attached to the characters that I wanted to try and make the right choice, even if it didn't actually matter

Aside from a select few, the characters in Fates seemed really shallow, and the children characters felt forced. Awakening managed to write the kids into the story without feeling like they're just there for the sake of having kid characters, and each one felt unique. Even the subtle differences between male Morgan and female Morgan made them feel like different people, and their supports with their siblings really helped build my love for them.

In terms of mechanics however, Fates has Awakening beat by a wide margin. The castle features are probably my favorite addition, and the changes to the Pair Up system help keep the game balanced within the great new PVP mode. Seige weapons coming back are also another layer of icing on the cake.

All in all, they're both good games in their own right, but if given the chance, I would give Awakening the mechanics of Fates. I'm on the fence as to which I like more.

That support convo between Corrin and Leo was terrible, I'll agree, I saw it and was like wtf? I then decided that I wasn't going to even go to the next support, but ended up doing so inadvertantly. I also hated the fact that in Revelation (I'm up to chapter 18 there) you get Xander and Leo so late in the game (at least I am assuming that it's all done by this stage) you have to do some serious support grinding if you wanted to marry them to some of the other characters and in Conquest there is no break between defeating Garon before you go onto Takumi with no time to get stronger weapons from the weapon shop or get gold to promote units or gain skills that you need without a way to save up said gold.

At least in Awakening we got to connect with the characters a lot more. I'll admit that there were some welcome and awesome characters (no, not you Kamui, you're pathetic and so are a few others). I like some of the mechanics not all of them.

[spoiler=This just needs to be said]I am not shiting on Fates' gameplay mechanics, they are fun to work with and add the extra touch of strategy that I wish was present in Awakening. I like My Castle and the ability to meet others' avatars, I like dressing my avatar up to suit my tastes and enjoy the more interactive fun you can have with the characters if you want.

I will however say that I didn't like that being forced to have units not gain experience outside of the main story in Conquest. That is just plain unfair. Why should only Birthright and Revelation get the ability to level grind units outside of the main story if you want to thus making the game easier to play like Awakening? Why not Conquest? Why should Conquest be the hardest game to play with no option to equally level your team and force you to rely on one or two characters just to get the job done and clear the maps or achieve the objectives set. I had to use Phoenix mode just to clear the game! And that was on normal mode, not hard or lunatic but normal the easiest mode to clear! It's disgusting that if you want to play Conquest as a beginner that you have to go Phoenix mode just to clear chapter 16 and onwards! Now that might be because I am not that skilled but come on! A beginner should be able to clear at least normal casual without failing like I did. And the fact that my team was so underleveled did not help one bit and with no way to level up my weaker characters it was a slaughter all the way through the game.

I found that I just wasn't invested in Conquest or Revelation, admittedly I was and am like "When the hell is this game going to be finished already so I can go back to Awakening?" and that isn't the case with Awakening, I would happily replay Awakening and I have at least 230 +hours of gameplay if not more. Awakening was worth the spending I've done in spades even without DLC. Fates...well at least I got an art book and had some distration while I was in hospital. Which I would not have to have been had I not gotten the game...but that's a story for another day.

[spoiler=This just needs to be said]I am not shiting on Fates' gameplay mechanics, they are fun to work with and add the extra touch of strategy that I wish was present in Awakening. I like My Castle and the ability to meet others' avatars, I like dressing my avatar up to suit my tastes and enjoy the more interactive fun you can have with the characters if you want.

I will however say that I didn't like that being forced to have units not gain experience outside of the main story in Conquest. That is just plain unfair. Why should only Birthright and Revelation get the ability to level grind units outside of the main story if you want to thus making the game easier to play like Awakening? Why not Conquest? Why should Conquest be the hardest game to play with no option to equally level your team and force you to rely on one or two characters just to get the job done and clear the maps or achieve the objectives set. I had to use Phoenix mode just to clear the game! And that was on normal mode, not hard or lunatic but normal the easiest mode to clear! It's disgusting that if you want to play Conquest as a beginner that you have to go Phoenix mode just to clear chapter 16 and onwards! Now that might be because I am not that skilled but come on! A beginner should be able to clear at least normal casual without failing like I did. And the fact that my team was so underleveled did not help one bit and with no way to level up my weaker characters it was a slaughter all the way through the game.

I found that I just wasn't invested in Conquest or Revelation, admittedly I was and am like "When the hell is this game going to be finished already so I can go back to Awakening?" and that isn't the case with Awakening, I would happily replay Awakening and I have at least 230 +hours of gameplay if not more. Awakening was worth the spending I've done in spades even without DLC. Fates...well at least I got an art book and had some distration while I was in hospital. Which I would not have to have been had I not gotten the game...but that's a story for another day.

because the day we were told that there were two versions we were told that Conquest would be more like the other 11 games where you weren't allowed to grind.

because the day we were told that there were two versions we were told that Conquest would be more like the other 11 games where you weren't allowed to grind.

Still doesn't justify it.

There not being an option to grind makes players feel more inclined to overcome the challenges with what they have, instead of using the easy way out when they're lazy. That's the whole point.

force you to rely on one or two characters just to get the job done and clear the maps or achieve the objectives set

And uh, to be honest most players know better how to distribute experience. It's a skill you need to make FE easier for yourself, and as the version that is supposed to challenge the player the most and is there to appeal to experts, Conquest challenges this skill with a combination of no grinding and making lowmanning a bad idea (or so I heard, I haven't played it yet).

Edited by Gradivus.

It's not unfair in the slightest. What would be unfair is if veteran players and all those seeking a challenge had their traditional gameplay taken away in all three versions of the game.

One or two units? What? You can easily get away with using 8 or 9 units, even on higher difficulties. You aren't supposed to be equally leveling every unit, that's how you play when you don't have the option to grind. If you want to use other characters, that's what multiple playthroughs are for. Or, you know... Revelation where you get the Conquest characters.

Saying something is "disgusting" is all but showing that your frustration is running your argument. Yes, not everyone is very good at these games and that is perfectly fine. But that doesn't mean that those who want a challenge should have that ruined for them. Conquest was advertised as the traditional FE game and it provided just that.

That support convo between Corrin and Leo was terrible, I'll agree, I saw it and was like wtf? I then decided that I wasn't going to even go to the next support, but ended up doing so inadvertantly. I also hated the fact that in Revelation (I'm up to chapter 18 there) you get Xander and Leo so late in the game (at least I am assuming that it's all done by this stage) you have to do some serious support grinding if you wanted to marry them to some of the other characters and in Conquest there is no break between defeating Garon before you go onto Takumi with no time to get stronger weapons from the weapon shop or get gold to promote units or gain skills that you need without a way to save up said gold.

At least in Awakening we got to connect with the characters a lot more. I'll admit that there were some welcome and awesome characters (no, not you Kamui, you're pathetic and so are a few others). I like some of the mechanics not all of them.

You are told from the start that you can't grind in Conquest.

When you pick Conquest in Chapter 6, the game outright tells you that you can't grind.

You shouldn't complain about something that the game cleary warns you about.

Still doesn't justify it.

Yes it does, because IS said from the start that Conquest was meant to be similar to the old Fire Emblem games.

And this is what Awakening has done to us, folks.

It's left an enormous count of people without the proper sense of strategy to handle the older formula. Well, that's what Phoenix mode is for, okay? That's why it exists.

That said, I'll admit that Conquest is one of the most brutal traditional FEs out there, largely in part due to how it uses skills to do things, and not just class skills, it throws weird nonclass skills at you and you never know what to expect; it just adds a whole buttload of variables that make it so you can rarely if ever use the same strategy more than once, unless you're blessed to have a juggernaut unit, and even then there are plenty of enemies who will make their day miserable. And Dragon Veins, too, which add a whole different level of weird to each level. Even on the lowest difficulty you have to be really careful about what you do and do a ton of microchecking to account for all the weird things the game throws at you. At least it gives you small tips at the start, but... blah.

Although I will say that I wish skirmishes and exp in other DLC was unlocked on that save file after clearing it the first time... Conquest has no postgame to speak of, which is unfortunate, since it could have been fairly easily remedied. It leaves the game totally helpless for PvP and such unless you pay extra which is super dumb, too.

Edited by Ritisa

And this is what Awakening has done to us, folks.

It's left an enormous count of people without the proper sense of strategy to handle the older formula. Well, that's what Phoenix mode is for, okay? That's why it exists.

That said, I'll admit that Conquest is one of the most brutal traditional FEs out there, largely in part due to how it uses skills to do things, and not just class skills, it throws weird nonclass skills at you and you never know what to expect; it just adds a whole buttload of variables that make it so you can rarely if ever use the same strategy more than once, unless you're blessed to have a juggernaut unit, and even then there are plenty of enemies who will make their day miserable. And Dragon Veins, too, which add a whole different level of weird to each level. Even on the lowest difficulty you have to be really careful about what you do and do a ton of microchecking to account for all the weird things the game throws at you. At least it gives you small tips at the start, but... blah.

Although I will say that I wish skirmishes and exp in other DLC was unlocked on that save file after clearing it the first time... Conquest has no postgame to speak of, which is unfortunate, since it could have been fairly easily remedied. It leaves the game totally helpless for PvP and such unless you pay extra which is super dumb, too.

That's not to say Awakening babies can't learn to play the old style. Hell, I started with Awakening, and now I've at least played every game in the series and beaten most of them. This doesn't justify Chloey's comments, because Conquest gives you WAY more than enough resources to handle the difficult shit the game throws at you, and there is 2 different cop outs if you can't handle it in the form of DLC and Phoenix mode.