Which should I get first, a Wii U or a PS3?

Busterman64

I mean, the PS3 has Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, LOH: Cold Steel 2, Odin Sphere, the new Guilty Gear and Star Ocean 5 all slated for release soon. Can you really call that a dead console lol? It has a better lineup of upcoming releases than the Wii U does and it's 10 years old this year. PS consoles are always good investments because they get support well past the funerals of their competitor products, it's what makes it easy to justify the purchase each gen. Comes with having excellent third party relations.

pretty sure every single one of those is coming out on another more current-gen console though (some Vita, some PS4, some both), so I personally don't value them. not to mention they're almost exclusively JRPGs. part of the reason PS3 is still getting games has to do with localization and Japanese companies being conservative with truly transitioning to next-gen systems. (It's also easier to justify crappier graphics when the bottom-line is the Vita or PS3, though I technically have no evidence that that's a serious consideration when companies decide to keep putting their games on the PS3.)

The PS3 is part of the last generation of systems, so it's games are cheaper, sometimes even new copies are dirt cheap, and the console is relatively cheap (and there should be plenty of used ones too), and the only games it's really getting now are like, (sometimes shady ports of) Japanese games and the like which tend to have a rather specific target audience that doesn't appeal to most people. so yeah, it's basically dead to me. more alive than the Wii and Xbox 360 for sure, but it has nothing upcoming to offer you can't get elsewhere just as good or better, as far as I know.

that's not really a negative though, that's a good thing. it means now is a great time to get a PS3, which is why I recommended it. so in that sense I'm not sure why you're arguing with me, but eh.

and yes, the Wii U is basically dead now that the NX has been announced to come in March 2017, but that just happened and we've yet to see a price drop or see if there are going to be any final games coming from Nintendo for Wii U outside of TMS#FE and Paper Mario Color Splash. (Obviously with their E3 announcement it's not looking likely, but still.) Between that, potential backwards compatibility with the NX, and a lot of games not having dropped price much yet, the console is still in that transition period between "relevant" and "dead" IMO, and it's best to wait until it's out of that period in order to make the best purchasing decision—or people may end up wasting a lot more money.

In other words, the PS3 is just a safer choice precisely because it's old (if you don't want to call it "dead", fine, but despite being a JRPG fanatic I personally recognize that JRPGs have very limited appeal and value) and its successor has already been on the market for... over 2 years now, I think. :\

Is there some news that I missed? Persona 5 should still be scheduled for release on PS3. I've not seen anything to the contrary?

I have heard nothing about it (I didn't know it was gettting a last gen port), but my point still stands last gen ports keep getting canceled left and right and I would not count on Persona 5's not getting canceled. So I what I meant to say is not to count on that actually happening and certainly don't base a purchase on it.

Edited by Locke087