What returning features would you like to see in the next fe?

Super Potat

- More unique objectives (Fates Conquest is more diverse compared to Birthright, but still not as diverse as RD was, I hear. I want RD diversity)

- Limited support pool

Read up on objectives (https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Objectives) and I don't really know what you're on about because RD has most of the same objectives as fates, spare a couple of odd ones (other than non-lord seige (only a specific unit can still only do it, but not the lord) and burning of supplies). Don't really see what you're getting at here

Can see where you're coming from with this point though as the massive support pool for most people just seems pointless and I'd much rather prefer each character having only 3 or 4 detailed supports rather than getting my 'otps' together. Adds challenge to the game too if characters can only support other specific characters and not them all (I know only the avatar can support everyone in fe13 + fe14 but everyone else still has quite large support pools)

All other points addressed in other posts

Looks like you misread what I was saying - the point is, if any magic other than Thunder was getting an effective bonus, it more often than not was on one of your units because (1) Dracoknights and their class tree no longer count as fliers for the purpose of determining class weaknesses (they were instead weak to thunder magic), and (2) most of the chapters with laguz happened to be when you were playing with the Daein army (the only one that isn't is 4-5).

I knew dracoknights were weak to thunder and resistant to arrows (taking no extra damage) but didn't think they were weak to wind magic, my mistake there and if I'm aware you don't get any fire wizards for the dain chapters nor any wizards for a while (you get tormod only in part one) if I remember correctly (no wizards of anima at least). Another point is that most laguz are just kind of shit and not worth losing (spare the kings) and Tibarn doesn't get affected by fire. Btw you may have misread mine as I was talking about wind magic, not fire and you can hit pegis with wind all you want and still even with not being able to hit dracoknights hard is still good vs them due to low res
Edited by Super Duper Potato

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parroting here to some extent:

• BEXP returning would be fantastic. It was helpful and can really make certain maps interesting in the way someone plays.
  • A world map that you could actually travel on would be great. It kind of seems like it'd be standard but IIRC it's only been a thing in FE2, FE8, and FE13.
  • An actual lord character. I get that MU had to be the lord for the entirety of Fates to work out, but I'd like for MU to ((preferably not exist)) not be the lord in the next game.
  • Sidequest chapters like in FE6 or FE7. The ones in FE11 were dumb, FE8 only had one and it was mandatory, and the paralogues in FE13 and FE14 aren't really the same thing.
  • Maybe not a limited support pool, a broad one is great ((though I want more same gender supports)), but a support limit would be worthwhile
  • FE11 style reclassing. Unpopular opinion but I loved the way it was done there. If there was a female set A and B and a male set A and B that would be super cool. Maybe axe split promotion in favor of a less restrictive reclass system?

I knew dracoknights were weak to thunder and resistant to arrows (taking no extra damage) but didn't think they were weak to wind magic, my mistake there and if I'm aware you don't get any fire wizards for the dain chapters nor any wizards for a while (you get tormod only in part one) if I remember correctly (no wizards of anima at least). Another point is that most laguz are just kind of shit and not worth losing (spare the kings) and Tibarn doesn't get affected by fire. Btw you may have misread mine as I was talking about wind magic, not fire and you can hit pegis with wind all you want and still even with not being able to hit dracoknights hard is still good vs them due to low res

Except for the part where pegasi don't even show up as enemies often in RD (they appear in all of 4 chapters, and two of those are in part 4 - the other two are with Daein, and you don't have access to wind magic then).

BTW, I'm personally opposed to both support limits and a limited support pool - the latter in particular would likely result in limited potential for interesting interaction, which would probably hurt more than it helps.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Except for the part where pegasi don't even show up as enemies often in RD (they appear in all of 4 chapters, and two of those are in part 4 - the other two are with Daein, and you don't have access to wind magic then).

Sorry if my knowledge isn't very good, don't look up much while writing these and always end up writing them late in the night. It is really weird how you literally have no anima mages the whole time after p1 or dark mages for that matter

BTW, I'm personally opposed to both support limits and a limited support pool - the latter in particular would likely result in limited potential for interesting interaction, which would probably hurt more than it helps.

They had tons of supports in awakening and all/most of them weren't very high quality conversations and didn't offer too much insight into any of the characters with s conversations more or less being getting married with no development shown

They had tons of supports in awakening and all/most of them weren't very high quality conversations and didn't offer too much insight into any of the characters with s conversations more or less being getting married with no development shown

Regardless, I have zero reason whatsoever to believe that the effect of limiting supports would be strictly positive, or that the positive effects would outweigh the negatives.

Regardless, I have zero reason whatsoever to believe that the effect of limiting supports would be strictly positive, or that the positive effects would outweigh the negatives.

It can definitely work but of course it will cost resources which in games like awakening could have been put towards furthering the story instead of it just being a mess

I mean I'm not one to turn down more (non-dlc) content, but most extra content has a cost (exceptions are things like extra art assets when the art team has nothing to do and so on) on the things in the rest of development so more support options = less of other features, be it story, gameplay, or something else

- Bonus experience as RD did it was a nice way to help units get points in stats they had bad growths in or help underleveled units to catch up enough to be usable for better leveling. Plus it's a nice reward system for bonus objectives.

- As broken as they were, I liked PoR Paladins being able to choose their second weapon type. It doesn't have to be on Paladins specifically though, another class having that might be even better (Master of Arms?)

- Base conversations from Tellius.

- Restore staff. This really should have been a thing in Fates. (And why not the more traditional debuff staves like Berserk and Sleep too)

- plot-connected side chapters. When was the last time we had these anyways, FE7?

On another note, how are fire/wind/thunder tomes in Tellius being effective against beast/bird/dragon laguz related to magic triangle?

Would be pretty good on the Lord or Avatar.

It can definitely work but of course it will cost resources which in games like awakening could have been put towards furthering the story instead of it just being a mess

I mean I'm not one to turn down more (non-dlc) content, but most extra content has a cost (exceptions are things like extra art assets when the art team has nothing to do and so on) on the things in the rest of development so more support options = less of other features, be it story, gameplay, or something else

The thing is, for the most part, Fire Emblem games tend to have somewhere around 40 to 50 playable characters - it'd be asking the impossible to expect all of them to be well-written, limited support pool or no. Also, as far as I'm concerned, Awakening's story has its flaws, but I don't think it was THAT bad...

As for other subjects that crossed my mind...

-WRT durability - I read in another thread that IntSys ditched durability for Fates because of this trope.

- Restore staff. This really should have been a thing in Fates. (And why not the more traditional debuff staves like Berserk and Sleep too)

Bold: No. Just... No.

Actually, if my castle is remaining then I would love to see the smithy in there being able to reforge weapons like in Holy War. Best of both worlds really, you still got all that careful resource management but never actually permanently lose your goodies.

They already limited character uniqueness with the ability of class change but the ability of being able to pick their second weapon just wouldn't make sense for some classes though e.g. a merc promotes to a hero, they get a second weapon of an axe or a... Basically it would mean redesigning most of the classes. If they went the other way and added it only to certain classes it would give those too much of an edge over other classes (personally I cannot remember this even being a thing)

Addressed all other points in other posts

You do realize I'm not saying every class should be able to choose their second weapon right? Make it more like a niche of 1 class, which wouldn't really make it that advantageous if the class is otherwise well balanced.

It was a thing for Paladins in PoR and no, they weren't "otherwise balanced well". It also created extra silliness like the three brothers discussing needing same weapon for triangle attack after Oscar is locked out of bows.

Speaking of which, I would like to see triangle attacks back I guess. Even if they were pretty pointless.

Would be pretty good on the Lord or Avatar.

Yeah, that could work too I guess. Personally I'm still liking the idea of Master of Arms having that

Yeah, they were pretty annoying, now that I think about it. Wouldn't hate seeing them myself, but I understand why they aren't liked.

Most things have already been named, I see. But one mechanic I'm missing from this topic is the minimum of 1 stat up upon level up. Going level up and gaining nothing is the worst.

Also, the mechanic of FE not being a full-on dating sim.

I don't personally see where all the hate from these things come from, and I would equally want the inclusion of long-range attack spells because while being horrible at times (I'm looking at you chapter 5 of fe4, could only send Lewyn and Sigurd past those meteor users) because for me that adds to the positioning of units and stops baby units from just seemingly charging in behind 2 stronger units so they don't get hit (of course when the amount of staffs + long-range spells become too high it can be a problem, feeling like 2 at max within range of one another would be the max seeing as 2 healers are almost needed most of the time)

You do realize I'm not saying every class should be able to choose their second weapon right? Make it more like a niche of 1 class, which wouldn't really make it that advantageous if the class is otherwise well balanced.

It was a thing for Paladins in PoR and no, they weren't "otherwise balanced well". It also created extra silliness like the three brothers discussing needing same weapon for triangle attack after Oscar is locked out of bows.

Whatever class they give it too would be more powerful than others unless they nerf that class to make it balanced, but then that class would most likely be worthless in compassion to other classes

But one mechanic I'm missing from this topic is the minimum of 1 stat up upon level up. Going level up and gaining nothing is the worst.

That's kind of the charm of the game (for me at least), going a bit yolo and crying yourself to sleep with 5 stat-less levels in a low. What I'm saying is I like gambling/games of chance (I've opened so many cs:go cases)

EDIT: Changed Seliph to Sigurd

I don't personally see where all the hate from these things come from, and I would equally want the inclusion of long-range attack spells because while being horrible at times (I'm looking at you chapter 5 of fe4, could only send Lewyn and Seliph past those meteor users) because for me that adds to the positioning of units and stops baby units from just seemingly charging in behind 2 stronger units so they don't get hit (of course when the amount of staffs + long-range spells become too high it can be a problem, feeling like 2 at max within range of one another would be the max seeing as 2 healers are almost needed most of the time)

How'd you get Seliph in chapter 5?

How'd you get Seliph in chapter 5?

His dad forget whos who their names are so similar (it's Sigurd I was talking about)

By similar I mean both begin with S

I don't personally see where all the hate from these things come from, and I would equally want the inclusion of long-range attack spells because while being horrible at times (I'm looking at you chapter 5 of fe4, could only send Lewyn and Sigurd past those meteor users) because for me that adds to the positioning of units and stops baby units from just seemingly charging in behind 2 stronger units so they don't get hit (of course when the amount of staffs + long-range spells become too high it can be a problem, feeling like 2 at max within range of one another would be the max seeing as 2 healers are almost needed most of the time)

Not all instruments of war are created equal, and status staves are Exhibit A. The player generally doesn't get much real use out of them, but the enemy does.

Not all instruments of war are created equal, and status staves are Exhibit A. The player generally doesn't get much real use out of them, but the enemy does.

Adds a challenge to some maps where enemies have them + you can say that about many weapons that the player doesn't get too much access to but the enemy does due to durability restrictions

EDIT: Sometimes enemies have unique weapons exclusive to them/you can't get them in any way

Adds a challenge to some maps where enemies have them + you can say that about many weapons that the player doesn't get too much access to but the enemy does due to durability restrictions

EDIT: Sometimes enemies have unique weapons exclusive to them/you can't get them in any way

Enemy exclusive equipment is a horse of a different colour. Also, the only equipment where durability would be a real concern are Braves and long-range magic, both of which tend to not be all that common on the enemy side anyhow.

Anyways, I think that for the most part, the only thing status staves tend to add is not challenge, but frustration, which isn't helped by status staves tending to be limited in usefulness for the player (why bother using Berserk or Sleep on an enemy when I could just kill it?).

Enemy exclusive equipment is a horse of a different colour. Also, the only equipment where durability would be a real concern are Braves and long-range magic, both of which tend to not be all that common on the enemy side anyhow.

Anyways, I think that for the most part, the only thing status staves tend to add is not challenge, but frustration, which isn't helped by status staves tending to be limited in usefulness for the player (why bother using Berserk or Sleep on an enemy when I could just kill it?).

There are many enemy exclusive weapons, many of which are unique though, I do recall that the player could only get 2 dark tomes in Thracia 776 (the long-range one and something else) and all the others converted into one of those tomes when put in a allies inventory. Btw no only horses change colour, clothes and armour do too (sorry I couldn't help myself). Only thing you don't see on enemies though is brave weapons (like you pointed out) and I can't for the life of me remember brave weapons being on enemies in any other game than fe4

I don't know how you have gotten about not seeing long-range magic on the enemies because I remember seeing them as commonly on enemies as staves, staves even being less of a worry for me because I position my healers with restore in good range (some characters can do so much damage with long-range magic that when put in combination with some enemy units can result in one of your units dying in a single enemy phase) and if these staffs are hitting you their maximum amount of times then they definetly will be bothering you but at that point it is just you need to go faster in the level. They can be used effectively if you use on bosses/hard to recruit people making the task of killing/recruiting them so much easier. These staffs couldn't of course have been in Fates because of that infinite durability (I mean were they trying to kill resource management?!?!)

There are many enemy exclusive weapons, many of which are unique though, I do recall that the player could only get 2 dark tomes in Thracia 776 (the long-range one and something else) and all the others converted into one of those tomes when put in a allies inventory. Btw no only horses change colour, clothes and armour do too (sorry I couldn't help myself). Only thing you don't see on enemies though is brave weapons (like you pointed out) and I can't for the life of me remember brave weapons being on enemies in any other game than fe4

I don't know how you have gotten about not seeing long-range magic on the enemies because I remember seeing them as commonly on enemies as staves, staves even being less of a worry for me because I position my healers with restore in good range (some characters can do so much damage with long-range magic that when put in combination with some enemy units can result in one of your units dying in a single enemy phase) and if these staffs are hitting you their maximum amount of times then they definetly will be bothering you but at that point it is just you need to go faster in the level. They can be used effectively if you use on bosses/hard to recruit people making the task of killing/recruiting them so much easier. These staffs couldn't of course have been in Fates because of that infinite durability (I mean were they trying to kill resource management?!?!)

Staves don't have infinite durability in Fates, just so you know.

Also, the only hard to recruit people I can think of are Xavier, and that's pretty much it.

Also, the only hard to recruit people I can think of are Xavier, and that's pretty much it.

Can't think of many hard people off the top of my head apart from Hannibal (and the one you just named) but there definitely are some more troublesome ones to recruit that I'm sure if I had a sleep staff handy would have used that on them to avoid the trouble of that. I mean comparatively to Xavier no one is harder to recruit so maybe you're thinking too extreme but with Xavier unless you're using it on the knights (they would require 2 sleep staffs) they don't help out with his promotion (it's also due to the fact that Leaf can not kill him in one blow and him to Leaf)(the reason a sleep staff isn't useful on him is because you can use Asvel dodge tanking him making him go out of troublesome range)

There's a pegasus knight in the chapter before Xavier's that you need a sleep stave (or sword to recruit). I know because in my one Thracia playthrough so far I didn't have one :/

Douglas in Binding Blade. You have to spend a whole chapter without fighting him, which would be fine, except he comes after you.

Ayra in Genealogy. A powerful and threatening unit whom you can't recruit until you capture the castle... right next to her.

Sephiran in Radiant Dawn. Seriously, making Ike fight a unit he can't harm, who can usually double him, and has a mastery skill that will totally wreck him? Yeah, no.

Just to name a few...

There's a pegasus knight in the chapter before Xavier's that you need a sleep stave (or sword to recruit). I know because in my one Thracia playthrough so far I didn't have one :/

Oh. So there's about the only character in the franchise that a status staff would be mandatory to get.

Douglas in Binding Blade. You have to spend a whole chapter without fighting him, which would be fine, except he comes after you.

Ayra in Genealogy. A powerful and threatening unit whom you can't recruit until you capture the castle... right next to her.

Sephiran in Radiant Dawn. Seriously, making Ike fight a unit he can't harm, who can usually double him, and has a mastery skill that will totally wreck him? Yeah, no.

Just to name a few...

Fair enough, though out of those, you don't even have access to status staves for the latter two, so that wouldn't help.

Haha. Just imaging Ike finding the Black Knight asleep on the battlefield and attacking him in a blood fueled rage only for it to have absolutely no effect.

While not exactly the safest move or the most innocent. I'd kinda want to see if we ever got a character like Lifis again. That'd really make some heads spin when you get to see their backstories.