Tales of Berseria

Here's the latest trailer of Tales of Berseria from last week.

The entire group is introduced.

Tales of Berseria will be released on 18th August in Japan for PS3, PS4 and PC.

On 24th January it'll come out in North America and on 27th January 2017 in Europe!

Since I own neither a PS4 nor a powerful PC I tend to order a JP-import for my PS3 when it's been released (if the price isn't too high).

I'll update this thread whenever I have new information or trailers.

Feel free to share your impressions or expectations about this game.

Tales of Berseria, to be released in the West for the PlayStation 4 and PC Digital (via Steam) platforms, will officially be released on

Edited by Eleanor Hume

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, Jude x Mila's canon. . . ;/

On a more serious note, I really don't like the voices for this game FSR. I'll need to see more of the battle system in English, but it's gonna have a hell of a time beating out Zestiria.

Hmmm, it's getting my attention.

And I find it interesting that the main characters are an adult female and child male.

Has a pair like this ever been used as main characters in video games?

When there's an adult and child duo in games and fiction in general, it's usually an adult man and young girl.

Hmmm, it's getting my attention.

And I find it interesting that the main characters are an adult female and child male.

When there's an adult and child duo in games and fiction in general, it's usually an adult man and young girl.

The closest thing I can think of is The Walking Dead Season 1 with Lee and Clementine, even though these games are quite different.

I've only played a bit of Zestiria and a little of Abyss, so I don't think I can say much, but that combat system looks very smooth.

Welp, Jude x Mila's canon. . . ;/

On a more serious note, I really don't like the voices for this game FSR. I'll need to see more of the battle system in English, but it's gonna have a hell of a time beating out Zestiria.

Is Zestiria really considered to be one of the better combat systems in the Tales series? I found it quite clunky at times for the first 10 hours or so.

Is Zestiria really considered to be one of the better combat systems in the Tales series? I found it quite clunky at times for the first 10 hours or so.

Once everyone has all of their attacks unlocked, it's a hell of a lot of fun. I stuck with Sorey the entire way.

With this game, might end up with the guy who leans more towards Raven than Gaius. :P:

well we found Emil and Marta's baby. in all seriousness i can't wait to play it.... but it will take a while because i don't like pc gaming and dont want to buy a ps4 for 1 game. fuk ya 2 Namco

well we found Emil and Marta's baby. in all seriousness i can't wait to play it.... but it will take a while because i don't like pc gaming and dont want to buy a ps4 for 1 game. fuk ya 2 Namco

That's exactly the same issue I mentioned.

I'm going to try to get the PS3 import when it's out in Japan.

It's not worth for me to buy a new console just for one game since I don't play many games on non handheld consoles anyways.

I must hope that a fan translation will be made like for the PS3 version of Vesperia (which I couldn't download successfully though unfortunately).

Never played a Tales game but this one got me interested, almost picked up Zestiria on the Steam Summer Sale because of it but decided to wait for a deeper discount due to the generally mixed reception. (my current computer probably wouldn't even run it well anyway)

Never played a Tales game but this one got me interested, almost picked up Zestiria on the Steam Summer Sale because of it but decided to wait for a deeper discount due to the generally mixed reception. (my current computer probably wouldn't even run it well anyway)

Tales games are really favorable.

There are some collections on the market (Symphonia + Symphonia Dawn to the New World + Graces or Xillia 1 + Xillia 2) for like 20-30$.

If Berseria really caught your interest but you can't play it because of lacking on required consoles, I'd recommend you to play the Xillia parts because after watching the trailer it comes the closest to these parts.

Technically that's what Jude and Milla was.

Too bad it's all in Japanese, and I can't understand a lick of it.

I'm pretty annoyed that it's getting a PS3 release in Japan, but not worldwide. Why not? I have a PS3, but now we're at the tail end of this console generations life, and it looks like I'll have to buy a PS4 if I want to play local multiplayer, which is the best way to play Tales games.

I liked Zestiria's combat system for the most part apart from having to fight the camera constantly. It was the story in Zestiria that felt like a massive letdown.

I fully plan to get an alternate costume for Velvet as soon as I can. That default outfit just isn't doing it for me. It looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

Edited by Rezzy

Technically that's what Jude and Milla was.

I know, but I meant as mother and son, which to me, seems to be the releatioship between Velvet and Laphicet.

Like I said before, we see a lot of fathers and daughters as main characters, but there very few mothers and sons as main character duos.

Actually, we don't see many mother-like characters as main characters, and if they are they usually explore their relationship witht a daughter-figure character, but hardly ever with a son-figure character.

This is what is catching my attention in this game actually. The unusual main characters.

We probably aren't getting a PS3 version because the packaging and certification costs too much compared to projected sales, PS4 adoption in North America is suitably high and the PC release tends to sweep up the rest, despite Namco's continually poor porting jobs. Zestiria reported had problems with frame rate on the PS3 so I assume Berseria will be more of the same issues and that it was designed for the PS4 and downscaled.

Also I feel like Tales actually has a large cast of mature females to immature male leads. Luke and Tear come to mind instantly, followed by Jude and Milla. Raine is not the female lead of Symphonia but she is also the team mom and that's cool too.

Edited by Samias

awesome

I picked up a PS4 for ffxv/persona 5 so I'll get this once it comes out. Zestiria was pretty fun too so I have high hopes for this one. I definitely don't miss the MP system at all, makes me more willing to play the more mage like characters. didn't stop me from maining Zelos though I missed out on Graces f and Xillia because I never had a PS3, but I might go back and just play the Japanese Graces on the Wii for kicks before this is released.

Once everyone has all of their attacks unlocked, it's a hell of a lot of fun. I stuck with Sorey the entire way.

With this game, might end up with the guy who leans more towards Raven than Gaius. :P:

Yeah for all the faults I had with Zestiria it's combat wasn't one of them. The combat camera and the out of battle equipment stat system though...

I'm hoping this game leaves a better taste in my mouth than Zestiria because I was looking forward to it and ended up let down. Let me play something like Symphonia or Vesperia again.

also let's play our favorite game of guess the traitormy money's on blond dude

Unlikely, since the guy is

is pretty much confirmed to be Edna's brother.

There might not be a traitor like in Zestiria.

That being said, it was said that the witch girl is a rather morally questionable person, but that might be a red herring.

I'll pick it up after a price drop like I did with Zestiria, but I'm excited to play Zestiria now that I've beaten Xillia, then I'll do that.

I like the female protagonist. :D

I don't know much about Velvet, but if there's a mother-son relationship going on, I might find that interesting, since I've got a bit of first hand experience with that. How old is Velvet supposed to be?

Time to pitch my RPG idea starring a 30 year old mother of two.

It's been confirmed that ToB is a distant prequel to ToZ.

You have my attention. Say what you will about ToZ's story/characters, but I adored the world it was in!

I don't know much about Velvet, but if there's a mother-son relationship going on, I might find that interesting, since I've got a bit of first hand experience with that. How old is Velvet supposed to be?

Well, from the little I have seen from the trailers, it doesn't seems like their repationship is like sibilings.

And there is quite a bit of age difference between the two.

You have my attention. Say what you will about ToZ's story/characters, but I adored the world it was in!

Speaking of Beseria's relation to Zestiria, it's implied that two of Beseria's party members, Velvet and Rokurou, are Hellions.

And apparently, there's a theory in the fandom that Velvet is going to be the first Lord of Calamity.

And of course, the fact that one of the party members is heavily implied to be Edna's brother.

Edited by Water Mage

According to ToB's JP official site.

Velvet: 19 years old

Laphicet: 10 years old

Rokurou: 22 years old

Eleanor: 18 years old

Magilou: Unknown

Eizen: 1000 years old (appears 30 years old)

Well, from the little I have seen from the trailers, it doesn't seems like their repationship is like sibilings.

Speaking of Beseria's relation to Zestiria, it's implied that two of Beseria's party members, Velvet and Rokurou, are Hellions.

And apparently, there's a theory in the fandom that Velvet is going to be the first Lord of Calamity.

And of course, the fact that one of the party members is heavily implied to be Edna's brother.

oh, I like that theory, Velvet being the first Lord of Calamity and the other theory I like Laphicet becoming Maotelus.

I would like to know how Eizen become a Dragon..

Except I'm pretty sure Heldalf was the first Lord of Calamity. Like Zestiria's plot was really dumb and made it seem like it was hundreds of years ago and there were multiples but then he becamse the first one and it was when Sorey was just a child. So it was only 20 years ago.