Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

#17: Niles

I like him; not as much as others do, but I like him. Possibly one of the most interesting characters, acting mean and using double entendres to cope with what he's been through (I hear he's a much better character in the Japanese version in this regard). I also love a good speed demon with balanced str and mag on the battlefield.

#18: Felicia

Not my favorite healer (or maid) in the game but I like her, more than Jakob especially. Her clumsiness is a bit annoying, but I like the fact that she wants to be a maid regardless of it. As others have stated, she's a pretty good healer, and while she may be of the Ice Tribe, she is amazing with the Flame Shuriken.

#19: Kagero

I adore her. As mentioned before with Shigure, I like artistic characters, and serving Hoshido because her brother who was supposed to is unable to really gets to me. As a unit, her HP, skill, and luck stats are rather disappointing, but being the strongest ninja I think more than makes up for it.

#20: Kana

Honestly, I prefer Kana over Morgan. I don't know; I think I just prefer the idea of having a kid very attached to me be younger and cuter (not that Morgan's not cute but that's besides the point) AND ALWAYS BE A DRAGON. I like that f!Kana is actually nice this time around, too. Like her or not, you have to admit f!Morgan was kind of a bitch.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kagero: She's ok. Not bad but she isn't really interesting either. People say she's boring, but what do you expect? She's the retainer of a future king. Laslow is a clown and Peri is a criminal.

Kana: Bad, their character revolves around being a cute kid and nothing else.

What does being a retainer of a future king have to do with anything? Saizo is also a retainer of Ryoma yet he isn't bland or boring. Laslow has his interesting and good supports himself too and has a character to him that isn't flanderized, I can't speak much for Peri yet though.

Kagero:

I find her to be an enjoyable character: she is that kind of character who is very loyal to his liege and would do anything for him and I like it(which explains why I like all the three ninjas) and she has sone funny moments with her "art".

As a unit, tough, she is my least favorite of the ninjas: yes, she has a lot of stregth, speed and resistance as well, but she doesn't have the HP of Kaze(who, aside from strength, has growth rates similar to Kagero and joins before her) or Saizo's defense, so...yeah, I like her as a character but I don't like her as much as a unit.

Kana:

I actually like Kana: their cuteness is annoying, but they can also become interesting when their cuteness isn't around.

I didn't use them too much as units, since they aren't very powerful compared to other children.

Edited by The Wyvern Rider

Kana: Other than the fact that Kana is probably second to probably young Tiki in appearing age and maturity level, I still sorta like them. People complain of MKanna's voice, but it's reasonable for a six year old boy to have a higher voice than a six year old girl. Trust me, it's a thing. As a unit, they might be a lot worse compared to Morgan, but they don't have to be good because it's logical for them to be much worse in combat than either of their parents.

[spoiler=Too long so I put it in a spoiler tag. #1-20.]

#1: Laslow/Inigo
I liked Inigo in the first game. His design is appealing and his personality never bothered me. He was also my son since I refused to S-Rank anyone on my male unit other than Olivia.
In Fates, I feel they're taking the spot of potentially great, new characters who could have filled their position but I appreciate Laslow nonetheless (although I don't like the angle of his portrait this time around). I don't like the name Laslow.
#2: Shigure
I never did like his design or the bright blue hue of his hair but I find him an interesting character. I got the whole Heirs arc and I liked his role there. His singing is wonderful. The fact he sings at all makes me like him. I never really understood why he's on a pegasus but... I guess it does give him the Troubadour line from his mom which I appreciate.
#3: Selkie
I didn't spend enough time with her. I don't like her voice and I find her father more interesting. I like her Personal Skill though when it activates now and then.
#4: Flora
I like Flora... she just isn't around enough though and she was cursed to be a Corrinsexual. I wish they'd drop the concept of making characters only supportable with one character or two. Anyway, I like her. Her personality is nice I suppose.
#5: Scarlet
I don't have a strong impression on Scarlet. She lacks supports and I feel like I would have really gotten to know her if she at least had support options with Ryouma but noooo.
She's nice, I suppose, and is the only Wyvern Rider you get by default on Birthright.
#6: Selena/Severa
I feel like she got brattier and a little more annoying since Awakening but I'm probably the only person who thinks that. I like her design more and I think her name change is the most pleasant. I never really used her and would bench her in favor of Laslow.
#7: Nyx
I like her design and she's interesting. She's terrible in Conquest but so is Odin. She's the mother of my Rhajat in Revelations so I do appreciate her for having black hair and being the mage-type to make this happen. Uhhh, that's it. I wish characters would take her seriously so I didn't have to keep reading "I'm not a child" blahblahblah.
#8: Takumi
I don't have a strong opinion of Takumi but I do like his shiny bow. He's an interesting character that starts with a complex and grows into something better or worse depending on which route you took. He's also the center of unpleasant memes which is really annoying to me... particularly because he shares my old and usual alias on everywhere but here buuut that's not his fault. I like his son. Have I mentioned I liked his bow?
#9: Corrin
I think they're okay. They're just naive and make bad decisions sometimes. As a unit, Corrin is wonderful. They're also fun to play as in Smash. Uhh... dragons.
#10: Sophie
Avel this, Avel that. SIlas's daughter is a bundle of joy. I appreciate how often her personal skill activates since I tend to forget they exist. Uhhh, she's on a horse.
#11: Shura
Free boots. I think Shura's okay. Needs more supports. Blahblahblah.
#12: Saizo
Everyone loves him but I feel indifferent towards him. Probably cuz I'm not as invested into him. His personal skill spells death.
#13: Velouria (7/24/2016)
Daaaaddy, daddddy. I never once got her (not intentionally) so I can't form an opinion on her other than that she has a wonderful design.
#14: Fuga (7/25/2016)
I used him once and he's pretty awesome. He's pretty tanky and has great reclass options. Needs more support options.
#15: Subaki
Honestly, I never really liked him. If Cordelia was like this, I never really noticed at all. Subaki and perfection go hand and hand and they'll never let you forget that.
His personality is just bleh to me because of this and I was always really lazy to grind for pegasus units in this game.
His design is nice. He makes the perfect Caeldori with Selena.
#16: Hinoka (7/26/2016)
I really despise her voice and the way her voice actress did a lot of her lines. I can't take her seriously.
Besides that, she's a wonderful character and an amazing unit in Birthright.
Her hair is too red and I'm not fond of her passing that red to her children.
Worshipped by the LGBT community by about everyone besides me. I feel indifference towards him, even when I tried S-Ranking him once.
Still, he's not a bad character or that bad of a unit so... yeah, indifference.
#18: Felicia (7/27/2016)
I didn't like Felicia very much at first (mostly because of her voice that I find amusing now) but because I had fun making a gimmicky build using her in my castle, I started to appreciate her a lot.
She doesn't particularly bother me in any of her supports. In fact, I find it pleasant.
I like her... although she's never been particularly useful to me as a unit. She mothers my Shiro whom I do love so I like her too.
I find her personality okay and I like her design. I wish we recruited her differently... in at least one route.
#20: Kana (7/28/2016)
I actually like Kana and I think it's unfair to compare them to Morgan whom I also like. I think Kana's cute... even if that may be the extent of their character.
Either way, it doesn't bother me. I like their designs as well.

Kagero

A fine character, I guess. She's a bit more bland compared to some others, but it isn't entirely awful. She has a kickass strength growth and her support with Odin is painfully adorable.

Kana

Morgan was better. Love the Kiritsugu Emiya-ish hair on MKana though.

I like him; not as much as others do, but I like him. Possibly one of the most interesting characters, acting mean and using double entendres to cope with what he's been through (I hear he's a much better character in the Japanese version in this regard).

I actually prefer English Niles, I just like the voice more in JP. Eng Niles is a lot more subtle and low key about his inappropriate remarks. Unless those fan translations were off, I prefer Niles/Elise in English to the JP support.

Kagero:

Say'ri with boobs, she's even as boring as her. Kagero!Shiro is a monster though, I'll admit that at least.

Kana:

Since they are supposed to be little kids in this version their actions are understandable I guess, Kana is cute as she/he was designed to be. The rawwrg "I love you!" thing is kinda pushing the limits tho.

Kagero: Great unit, her growths fit her base class well and she's usually my go-to ninja. Character-wise, she falls flat as she's pretty bland, her painting niche doesn't save her at all.

Kana: Generic cute child, nothing more.

Kagero: A solid ninja let down by her overall sub-par character. Yeah, she dominates on the battlefield, but while her art gimmick is interesting as is her friendship with Orochi, she is just... flat ironically. Still like her though. What is there is enough for me to forge head-canons with, and that is enough for me and my writings.

Kana: You want to know why I liked Morgan? I am a bit of a sadistic snarky asshole, and Morgan is a bit of a sadistic, snarky bitch (that Inigo C-support). The way she behaved kinda seemed like the inevitable result of what any daughter of mine might end up like, and that endeared me to her character. Kana is just yet another one-note 2nd gen unit by comparison. Yeah, her support with her potential mothers was kinda sweet, and how IS changed it to match each mother was a pretty nice touch, but Kana is still painfully one-note, and I just find her generic cute child shtick tolerable for only so long...

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Kagero

An overall bland character despite quite liking her design. I only really like her supports with Odin, because she shows more personality than ever and it is absolutely adorable, and Arthur, because his bad luck turns out to be useful.

Kana

Again, I like Kana's design. Yeah, personality-wise, they don't have as much depth as Morgan, who also didn't really have that much either. I must be in the minority again but I don't have a problem with M!Kana's high voice. This may be irrelevant but I was playing The Sims 4 and I noticed that the boy children had really high-pitched voices compared to the girls. All the time. I even tested to see if boy's could have deeper voices than girls by playing with the voice selector and it was literally impossible to make the boys have deeper voices than the girls. Completely different games but, yeah.

Niles is a character I was mixed on for a while until I read some more supports. While he does love teasing, he knows when he's gone too far and apologizes. I also really like his innuendo side, mostly because I just get a good chuckle out of it. As a unit he's been ok at best. I've only used him once, and he was mostly just for Pair-Ups with Camilla since he gave +Move, and for opening chests.

Felicia is honestly adorable. Her clumsiness is really cute, and while I wish she had less supports revolving around it, they're done well enough that I let it pass. Design wise, she's adorable as well.

While her voice was a shock when I first heard it, I also really REALLY like her VA now, and I think it's a contender for the best in the game. It sounds so genuine and nervous so it really fits the character. As a unit, Felicia does well enough early game, but if you're using a F!MU, she comes so late game that she really has no purpose. Same goes for Jakob.

Kagero is another character who I don't know all that well. I think I need to read more of her supports. As a unit, I think she's the best of the 3 Ninjas stat wise, however Kaze is the best overall thanks to him being in all paths and having a great join time. I also haven't had a chance to use her much since I've had to bench her in 2/3 of my Birthright playthroughs.

Kana... ok, let me be brutally honest, (s)he is the worst child unit. Kana's personality is so boring and pandering that it makes Japanese ver. Gregor look interesting. As a unit, (s)he is outclassed by almost everyone else in the entire game, save for Gunter, Izana, Yukimura and Fuga solely because of his/her potential join time.

Niles: OH YES I like Niles a lot. He was my awesome mage-killer in his join chapter on Conquest and I found a lot of his supports interesting. And he didn't seem over the top with gimmicky-ness like some of the other characters, which was nice.

Felicia: I like her at the moment, mostly because she isn't an ass like Jakob is, but I also haven't read many of her supports, so maybe the clumsiness thing will gets overbearing later on. I've never used her as a unit, so I can't really say there.

Kagero: I was very meh on her initially, but after seeing a couple of supports I like her more. I never really used her as a unit either, I already had plenty of ninjas by the time she showed up.

Kana: I like Kana, because I'm a sucker for cute kids. But yeah, s/he definitely falls off as a unit, it's quite a shame. Bonus points for Corrin threatening to water the fields with the blood of those who hurt Kana, because that is exactly what I was thinking during that.

I never really cared much for saizo mostly because his personal skill is an absolute pain in the ass so I never used him

#13: Velouria

I never got her (because I rarely bother with child units) however I do like her design and have been meaning to use her

#14: Fuga

Never used him too late recruit in the run where you get all the royals

I like Subaki he is the best pegasus knight unit wise, he's sorta meh personality wise. A bit annoying.

#16: Hinoka

Was honestly a horrible pegasus knight not to mention she lacks any character. Worst royal in my opinion besides Camilla.

I try to like Niles, his supports are great (especially his one with arthur) however I just can't because he was just so useless on my conquest playthrough, he couldn't take a hit, he couldn't heal, he couldn't kill, his hit rates where shoddy all he could do was double which was useless.

Useful as a staffbot, one of the units that I just skip the supports of because she is the inferior maid.

Her strength growth, like what the hell. Its amazing and it makes her the best ninja in my opinion.

Bit disappointing that her growths are so bad because she can make a great dragonstone tank (I am biased towards the dragonstone)

Kagero: Decent unit. I always find thief like units having alot of strength very unfitting though, it's like giving a character whose class is a knight lots of speed. Her character is pretty weak. Her supports with Silas are kind of fun as they try to get use to their cultural tastes but I only married them two because I really love Sophie as a brunette. I feel bad that she gets captured by Kogaro in both routes, at least she isn't portrayed like an old fashioned damsel like when Marribelle was captured.

Kana: One of my least favorite of the children, especially the male counterpart. Did I mention that Corrin is a terrible parent for letting a clearly under aged child go and fight in a war? Battle wise, he/she is fun to use especially when the spouse is a magic user which makes Kana an even better dragon than Corrin. BTW, the "That's dragon for I Love You" scene is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Edited by Kevlar

I thought that he was gonna be a generic, boring ninja archetype, but I was surprised with the amount of variety in his supports and come to like him as a character. I'm even starting to enjoy his design, even though it's oddly similar to Eiji Kisargi(Art of Fighting/KOFXI).

He's a silly, fun unit too when you give him the right skills.

#13: Velouria

She's just so precious and has a great design. I didn't use as a Wolfskin on my first playthrough(her mother was Elise), so I can't really say much about that aspect.

#14: Fuga

Just found out that his attacks have wind effects... I now want other characters to have different effects now. As a unit... Haven't gotten him. As a character, can't really say much since his story isn't really that fleshed out(it may be in his Support). I don't really like his design, but it's not terrible.

I like him. He's an interesting unit and has a rather simple design, which I can appreciate. Character wise, he's okay.

#16: Hinoka

Meh. Hinoka's not really anything special. Not amazing design wise, tho I like her hair, meh as a unit when compared to the other siblings, and no real notable supports.

As someone who actually prefers funny, witty characters over tragic characters most of the time, I find that Niles fits the bill for both perfectly. He's has some good funny and serious supports that I enjoyed reading. His design is cool too. He's okay as a unit.

A funny, charming character who I wished was better in terms of fighting, but I see what IS was going for. I will still use her over Jakob, because fuck Jakob.

I actually loved Say'ri in Awakening. She had a nice design, sexy voice, and was the best prepromote of all the other prepromotes. Kagero, however, is kinda bland for the most part, tbh. I like her design tho, and the fact that she has the highest strength growth is silly, but cool, and her personal skill alone make for a good unit, because anti-ninja strats ftw.

It's funny how the least looking ninja turned out to be the blandest.

*looks at profile pic*

I'm proud to be in minority that enjoys Kana. I really like his/her clothing design, it's not as out there as Corrin's, but the little things like the gloves and the legwear are nice little touches. I've actually started to appreciate him/her as a character more now. He's/She's just a kid whose loves his/her parents, and that's it. No tragic backstories, trying to prove anything, or any odd reason to leave that resolves in joining the army. Just a normal, curious kid. It's actually kinda refreshing to see a character like that, because usually adding something to a child character that isn't really child like can backfire(as we've seen in Corrin), and playing it safe for once isn't really bad.

Unit wise, I honestly think that's Kana's underrated(or I'm just biased to all hell). He's/She's not a Morgan, but he/she can be a good unit. Her starting growth rates are rather poor, but she doesn't have a borderline terrible one. I think Dwyer's worse, tbh.

Today's characters are Jakob and Effie, what is your opinion on those characters?

Here goes my Opinion on Jakob, before buying fates, I liked Jakob's design a lot that I wanted him to be my first married unit in Fates, of course, I didn't know he was a butler at first, thought he was more of a scholar or something, after getting fates I was a bit ok with him being a butler and all, but I feel a bit uncomfortable about the master/servant love relation ship, though he does give birth to the best child (which I'll get onto later once he gets his turn), I don't have much comments on his personality since I didn't see much of his supports, though I think I'll like it from what I saw from him.

Unit-wise, he's pretty useful early on but gets less useful toward end game.

As for Effie, I like Effie, I think her English voice fits her personality and build more than the japanese one which sounds like a "kawaiiiiiiii" girl. She can be entertaining while it lasts. Unit-wise, SHE'S A MONSTER, literally one of the best units in Fates, she's just so god damn powerful it's crazy. I'm starting to wonder how more powerful Ignatius will be when I get him.

Jakob

I LOVE JAKOB. He is one of the best characters in fates, and his strength and decent magic make him an excellent butler. His personality is great too. Many people hate him because he is a dick, but he is nice to many people, and his supports with some people: Rinkah, setsuna, Selena ETC, were hilarious!

Effie

Effie is really good. Monstrous strength. Decent speed, decent defense, good unit. Her voice actor did a really good job. Personality wise, she is a nice girl, I guess. She is a good General or Great Knight, but I find her to be an amazing Sniper.

#21: Jakob
Butler as his base class doesnt help him since, IMO, he's better as a fighting unit than a support. His double personality annoys me. Why would anybody be mean to Felicia?. I always end up benching him mid-game...

#22: Effie
Love her. She's an all around good unit. Great at combat, good as a Mother and sweet as a friend/retainer.

#21) Jakob- He's obsession with Corrin can come off as creepy to me. I don't like how he treats Dwyer (it almost reaches Tharja and Noire levels).

#22) Effie- Her I like a lot, love the pink general armor. I also like how her loyality to Elise never comes off as creepy and her interaction with Azama I find really interesting. She was a one woman army in early game Conquest for me (she didn't die, she laughed at the damage).

Edited by I'm a Spheal

JAKOB - I thought he was okay. He's a bit hostile to some people, but he's alright overall. His supports with his son aren't too great though.

Effie - Kind of boring tbh. Everything begins and ends with Elise with her. If it's not Elise herself, it's that she's hungry. I mean, people complain about Camilla and her Corrin obsession, but at least *some* of Camilla's supports go in different directions like Hinoka or Kaze's.

Jakob:

I like Jakob: he is a better early game unit than Felicia and can remain useful even in the mid and late game as a pair-up bot.

His personality is not bad because, while he is quite rude to some people, he is very gentle towards others that are not called Corrin, like in his support with Beruka and Mozu.

Effie - Kind of boring tbh. Everything begins and ends with Elise with her. If it's not Elise herself, it's that she's hungry. I mean, people complain about Camilla and her Corrin obsession, but at least *some* of Camilla's supports go in different directions like Hinoka or Kaze's.

Hey, you forget training!

If it's not Elise or being hungry, she will talk about training!

Bjt anyway, I agree: she isn't really interesting, especially compared to Benny and Ignatius, who are more interesting in general.

I admit l like her design and her VA fits her character quite well; plus, she is an excellent unit.