Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

I actually forgot to finish with the other characters, so back to that!

#45: Xander
*Sigh*. He looks so cool. His sword is cool. His voice is cool. Everything is cool... until the main story comes along. Xander was the absolute WORST of all of the Nohr siblings in Birthright. I honestly can't go into much detail as others have, but he's generally a blind idiot who casts away Corrin for a very dumb reason and is the only one who stays on Garon's leash until the end. He didn't even respect his sister's dying wish, so why I should I give a fuck when he gives up and lets me kill him. Conquest... I honestly can't remember since I haven't really played it in awhile. He's more into his character in his supports, though, but in all 3 paths he's just intolerable. I don't wanna hate Xander, I really don't, but dear god did the writers drop the ball on him.

#46: Asugi
Gaius was always a meh character that gave Cynthia a cute hair color to me. Asugi's kinda the same, but with pretty interesting supports with Poopa Saizo. He's a jack of all trades as a unit though.

#47: Shiro
I really like his design. As a character, he's okay. Feeling like an underdog and whatnot My favorite support is with Asugi so far. He's an okay unit too, but dear god is getting him a pain in ass in the midgame.

#48: Siegbert
The only thing that stands out on Siegbert to me is his mullet, lol. Everything else is basic, from his color palette, to his armor, to his personality, to his usefulness as a unit, etc. I've never actually gotten Siegbert yet, because he seems one of the least worth it of all of the kids because of the assload of Cavs that you get, and other than his personal skill making him a good Hubby, nothing else makes him stands out.

#49: Kiragi
My Favorite male child. He's such a chipper little fellow with a simple design. I really like his hair, especially when it's black. He's kinda gimmicky with the whole hunter thing, but some supports are nice with it. I really like his interaction with Takumi, showing that he's a good son and that Takumi is a good father. He's okay as a unit, possibly better than his dad due to his PS. Too bad 2nd gens don't inherit the ability to use the divine weapons, cause Takumi would be benched for Kiragi if that was the case.

#50: Forrest
He's a sweetheart, and kinda badass. Although he doesn't wanna be 'Manly', his design consists of the mostly the manliest color ever: pink. Let's not forget the crit lines, and his insane magic growth. As a character, I like that he's intentionally crossdressing, unlike some other characters(Lucius could be best 'grill' ;~;). He reminds me of Maribelle, which is good thing. I haven't recruited him yet, but he's definitely gonna be a unit that I use.

#51: Beruka
She. Is. The. Best. Waifu.

When I first saw her, I knew that I was gonna enjoy her, and I proud to say that my expectations were met and then some. I really like her design. The torso and boot design gives off a gloomy feeling that the Malig Knight class portrays. I've always had a thing for a short hair. I also really like the color of hair. I like her English voice. It seems just right for her appearance and her personality. Her personality I really enjoy. I've always found the 'sealed emotions' trope to be a very interesting character type and I find that it can be almost always be well done depending on the setting as well as the interactions with other characters. Beruka is one of those cases. Although she, like a lot of gimmick characters, focus a lot on that one gimmick most of the time, her supports show different ways of how she opens up. My personal favorite is her and odin's support where she asks him for a spell to give her emotions again. I also like the support with Selena. I really like her as a unit, too. She's not a super good unit, but she's very useful on both paths and can get the job. She has amazing skill, which is automatic yes for me. She absolutely wrecks shit as a Berserker.

I am proud to say that Beruka is my favorite character in all of Fates. I really like her. I will protect her will all my ability. No one will hurt her when I'm on the scene.

#52: Caeldori
Hmmm...

I never honestly found Cordelia to be that interesting. In fact, Cordelia is downright boring, imo. For some reason,imo , Caeldori is slighty more interesting even tho her design looks the most Copy Pasted out of the Awakening 2.0 kids. She eh as a unit for the same reason as Sigebert.

#53: Sakura
She's a cutie. I like her hair and her design. She's not really super memorable or interesting, imo. She has some story relevance to the point where you know what she does, but that's really it. She's an awesome unit, though. A good strength growth for a healer as well as good growths all around. She's possibly the most varied of all of the siblings with no true strength nor weakness.

#54: Percy
Not really much to say. His design is okay in Wyvern Lord form and having Pit's voice is kinda funny, but he's just a superhero fanboy personality wise. He has an useful personal skill, tho.

Will do the rest tomorrow.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was reading the post above, I remembered that there were a few characters that I really liked and never got around to talking about. I'm going to start with my favorite male character, Xander.

None of the male characters have a better design. He exudes regality from head to toe, and everything about him, from the look on his face to the sound of his voice, exudes confidence. Arthur is perhaps the only character who can stand up to him in sheer boldness, but a lot of his personality is played for laughs. His supports with Beruka are among my favorites in the entire game.

"There is no advantage in the world that will ensure your victory."

"Pathetic. You saw true strength and decided to kill your employer to save face."

His voice clip for 6+ stats in a level-up is synonymous with 'I'm so above you'.

A lot of his complaints come from his portrayal in Birthright, but I honestly don't even consider Birthright a real game. I think his portrayal in Conquest is flawless.

Kaden - I quite like Kaden. I think the kitsune class looks really cool (shame it's kinda lacklustre), and I found his personality enjoyable, though he can get quite gimmicky at times.

Keaton - I like Keaton as well. He is adorable as the ineffective tsundere, and a good unit besides. I found his trash gimmick didn't bother me so much, maybe because it just seemed like the sort of thing a dog would have? Though I found it a bit grating with Velouria, so I'm not really sure why.

Arete - Haven't encountered her yet, so no opinion.

Hana - Hana... I tried to like Hana. I didn't have much of an opinion of her to begin with, but seeing her supports with the avatar, coupled with some pretty underwhelming performances as a unit (especially in Revelations, yikes) and the way her whole life seems to revolve around Sakura... yeah. She never really grew on me. And then she lost me the ninja forest map in Revelations when I was just about done, so she's pretty much doomed to be disliked now.

Oboro - I'm actually surprised how much I liked Oboro. Like most of the Hoshidan characters, I didn't really have much of an opinion on her to begin with, but her decently non-gimmicky personality and performance as a unit warmed me up to her really quickly. She just seems like she has actual reasons for doing what she does, instead of it being because her gimmick tells her to. And her supports with Takumi are pretty cute.

Anna - Anna's cool, I guess. I haven't really used her much though.

Elise - Elise is such a sweetie. I love her. She's good in both Conquest and Birthright, but especially Birthright, you get a real sense of what she considers right and wrong and it's great. I really want to try out a Strategist Elise as a unit, she got replaced by Forrest in my Conquest run so I didn't get to try her there.

Ryoma - Lobster Brother... I don't really like him all that much? I mean, I don't dislike him either, he's just kinda... there. He didn't really interest me much at first (pretty much the instant the two versions were announced I decided I was going Nohr), he had that nasty ninja map for his chapter, and, his death in Conquest... I don't know. On it's own it's not a bad scene, but from a meta standpoint, Corrin has now managed to avoid killing every single one of their Hoshidan siblings themself, and it was just so damn convenient that it irritated me and made me roll my eyes rather than feel bad for him. So I didn't go into Birthright with a good attitude towards him, and nothing he did there really redeemed him all that much. I mean, he's a good unit, and I usually like goods units even if I don't like their personalities, but with him, it felt more like the game was trying to make me like him because he was good, so I decided to be contrary. Or maybe it's just personal bias, I don't know. He has fabulous hair though.

Anankos - No real opinion. From what I've heard, the game would have been better off without him. But, I've yet to encounter him myself.

I hope to keep up more.

Senno - looks like the stereotypical creepy otaku in ecchi anime but his obsession with tomes was deceiving to me at first.

Zhara - A Sprite edit of him somewhere made him stand out more as a character.

Daichi - I caught him. Big mistake.

Bosses in general - Honestly it ticks me off I can't capture Zola but the rest of the non-capturable bosses I understand, especially Iago and Hans who are asshats.

I know we've moved on from discussing certain characters, but one thing really surprised me earlier in this thread. I had no idea so many people liked Beruka, and I just don't see it. Could someone explain why they find her to be such a good charcter? I feel like she had potential but the writers fell short and made her too unbelievable.

She also suffers from the Cordelia effect and gets worse the more supports she gets, as it ignores her development from other conversations.

I know we've moved on from discussing certain characters, but one thing really surprised me earlier in this thread. I had no idea so many people liked Beruka, and I just don't see it. Could someone explain why they find her to be such a good charcter? I feel like she had potential but the writers fell short and made her too unbelievable.

She also suffers from the Cordelia effect and gets worse the more supports she gets, as it ignores her development from other conversations.

Sometimes, less is more, and Beruka's schtick is to be pretty quiet. She comes out of her shell in different ways (compare Saizou/Arthur). She also trolls Niles, and it's hilarious.

I personally thought she was one of the better written characters because we can actually piece together a coherent background for her and a reason for why she acts the way that she does. I will admit her supports can be hit-or-miss but, of her supports, I haven't encountered any that are blatantly offensive; she has her share that are entertaining and endearing, considering the way that she acts.

Of course, I do agree that she does suffer from the support system retconning her character development each time another support is started but I think that happens to every character to a certain extent.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Actually, she isn't all that great, most of her supports will end up the same about her explaining why her emotions are dead, which gets repetitive, and some supports just kinda contradict her nature like Saizo X Beruka and Xander X Beruka. I prefer characters like Soren or something to Beruka since they were done better. But I like Beruka's design, gameplay, and her myhouse quotes.

And I'm sure she doesn't get any big development from her conversations, not counting S supports.

Edited by RoyLKing

Beruka? She is okay. Not the best girl but she is easier to sit through compared to other characters *cough*Soleil and Nina*cough* Like I would feel bad if Beruka is more than just the quiet one because we already have so many loud and outspoken characters already.

Actually, she isn't all that great, most of her supports will end up the same about her explaining why her emotions are dead, which gets repetitive, and some supports just kinda contradict her nature like Saizo X Beruka and Xander X Beruka. I prefer characters like Soren or something to Beruka since they were done better. But I like Beruka's design, gameplay, and her myhouse quotes.

And I'm sure she doesn't get any big development from her conversations, not counting S supports.

I see your point, but Beruka and Soren are really different so you can't really compare them, since Soren is almost a main character as he appears in a lot of cutscenes during the story (at least in RD, I haven't play PoR yet), when Beruka just has a few lines during the chapter in which she joins. It would be like comparing Xander and Geoffrey. It would make more sense to compare Beruka to Meg for example, and she's a lot better than most Tellius secondary characters IMO, who can have 1 support partner so yes, they can evolve because it wouldn't break any other support. Whereas Fates'characters can have multiple supports at the same time, so it would be impossible to write different supports in case one support would imply that there's a big change in a character's personality.

The way I see a well-written character is more or less what SaiSymbolic posted: a coherent character that has a good backstory that can be discovered through his supports that can explain the way he acts, even if he's a bit gimmicky. That's why I consider Beruka (her supports with Camilla and Oboro are very solid), Niles, Peri, etc. as good characters. Much more interesting than Sakura, Hana, Effie, Etc. They can have a few weaker convos (and a weaker support is not a support with no backstory as long ad it seems natural, like a chat between friends, but one that has obvious ways to make him longer like Effie and Female Corrin), I don't care as long as they're good overall. Perfection is not possible to reach anyway, and any older FE could reach it, as good as they were.

I see your point, but Beruka and Soren are really different so you can't really compare them, since Soren is almost a main character as he appears in a lot of cutscenes during the story (at least in RD, I haven't play PoR yet), when Beruka just has a few lines during the chapter in which she joins. It would be like comparing Xander and Geoffrey. It would make more sense to compare Beruka to Meg for example, and she's a lot better than most Tellius secondary characters IMO, who can have 1 support partner so yes, they can evolve because it wouldn't break any other support. Whereas Fates'characters can have multiple supports at the same time, so it would be impossible to write different supports in case one support would imply that there's a big change in a character's personality.

The way I see a well-written character is more or less what SaiSymbolic posted: a coherent character that has a good backstory that can be discovered through his supports that can explain the way he acts, even if he's a bit gimmicky. That's why I consider Beruka (her supports with Camilla and Oboro are very solid), Niles, Peri, etc. as good characters. Much more interesting than Sakura, Hana, Effie, Etc. They can have a few weaker convos (and a weaker support is not a support with no backstory as long ad it seems natural, like a chat between friends, but one that has obvious ways to make him longer like Effie and Female Corrin), I don't care as long as they're good overall. Perfection is not possible to reach anyway, and any older FE could reach it, as good as they were.

The main reason why I compared Soren and Beruka is because of how similar they are, both didn't know their parents and was raised badly, and both lack emotions, but Soren was done better in the case of his backstory, and you can see that backstory in his supports.

The thing that prevents Beruka from being great is her repetition, you could use more supports like Selena's and Charlotte's with Beruka which show more characterization to beruka, and not something we already know about, if you're looking for a chain of supports to piece a background together, you should probably be looking at Renault's supports from FE7.

The main reason why I compared Soren and Beruka is because of how similar they are, both didn't know their parents and was raised badly, and both lack emotions, but Soren was done better in the case of his backstory, and you can see that backstory in his supports.

The thing that prevents Beruka from being great is her repetition, you could use more supports like Selena's and Charlotte's with Beruka which show more characterization to beruka, and not something we already know about, if you're looking for a chain of supports to piece a background together, you should probably be looking at Renault's supports from FE7.

You're right but there are still some points I disagree with. I recognize Renault's backstory was well managed, but he had like... 5 possible supports if I remember well, whereas Beruka has 20 different supports including her child. It's normal that it can be repetitive sometimes. It's difficult to be repetitive in 5 supports. I bet Beruka's backstory would be better managed than Renault's if she had just 5 supports too. Considering her personality and backstory, it seems even more natural. She spent most of her life in the streets doing the same actions: trying to survive by following orders to kill bothering targets, and that with no real conviction (as told in Selena's support). There's only a few "memorables" moments in her life: when her master took her under his wing, when she killed him and when she met Camilla. She has litteraly nothing to speak about. I recognize that some supports could have been better but IS would spent too much time on just one secondary character (and the game has a lot of characters!). Renault's backstory may be better managed, but I doubt IS spent more time and effort on him than on Beruka. I still think Beruka is rather well-written for these reasons and because her supports are good overall (some are very good like Oboro's, Selena's or Camilla's). Older FE characters weren't that complex either, the system was just different. Secondary characters in older FE games were more "absent" (or less "living") because they had less supports, there wasn't stuff like MyCastle, etc, whereas "main" characters were more developed because they were more visible, as it was for Soren. They may have some common traits, but their respectives games and roles were different. In Radiant Dawn, Soren appears in a lot of cutscenes (there's even a mini-story with Skrimir), has a role in the main story (we discovered that he's like Micaiah...), there were Info convos: all this stuff is scripted, so it was easier to make him more developed and evolve through the game. On the other hand, Beruka has just a few lines in the story: we discover her through her supports, that are supposed to be played in any order (and/or simultaneously), so it's not possible for her to have the same character development as Soren. But if we consider other characters from the same game, like Meg, Mia, Kieran, Marcia, I think Beruka is above them in personality. Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

You're right but there are still some points I disagree with. I recognize Renault's backstory was well managed, but he had like... 5 possible supports if I remember well, whereas Beruka has 20 different supports including her child. It's normal that it can be repetitive sometimes. It's difficult to be repetitive in 5 supports. I bet Beruka's backstory would be better managed than Renault's if she had just 5 supports too. Considering her personality and backstory, it seems even more natural. She spent most of her life in the streets doing the same actions: trying to survive by following orders to kill bothering targets, and that with no real conviction (as told in Selena's support). There's only a few "memorables" moments in her life: when her master took her under his wing, when she killed him and when she met Camilla. She has litteraly nothing to speak about. I recognize that some supports could have been better but IS would spent too much time on just one secondary character (and the game has a lot of characters!). Renault's backstory may be better managed, but I doubt IS spent more time and effort on him than on Beruka. I still think Beruka is rather well-written for these reasons and because her supports are good overall (some are very good like Oboro's, Selena's or Camilla's). Older FE characters weren't that complex either, the system was just different. Secondary characters in older FE games were more "absent" (or less "living") because they had less supports, there wasn't stuff like MyCastle, etc, whereas "main" characters were more developed because they were more visible, as it was for Soren. They may have some common traits, but their respectives games and roles were different. In Radiant Dawn, Soren appears in a lot of cutscenes (there's even a mini-story with Skrimir), has a role in the main story (we discovered that he's like Micaiah...), there were Info convos: all this stuff is scripted, so it was easier to make him more developed and evolve through the game. On the other hand, Beruka has just a few lines in the story: we discover her through her supports, that are supposed to be played in any order (and/or simultaneously), so it's not possible for her to have the same character development as Soren. But if we consider other characters from the same game, like Meg, Mia, Kieran, Marcia, I think Beruka is above them in personality.

For the note, I thought her support with Oboro was Okay, I kinda felt that IS shoehorned her in to be the pupil of that mercenary, though I still love her support with Selena for characterization and Camilla. (Beruka X Saizo sucks though)

I would've been fine with Beruka's conversations if they only made it to minimum, like only have her support with the avatar and someone else talk about her backstory, keep her support with Niles but edit on it a bit since that person finding Beruka's mother made no sense, and have the rest of her conversations be her having characterization and funny/normal conversations. Camilla kept her background to a minimum, I don't see how it can't be done with Beruka.

As for the older games, they more of focused on gameplay than having a good story or character, since that's what mattered before, but even then, it managed to have interesting characters like Canas, so they did put effort into them too.

(Beruka X Saizo sucks though)

Why do people keep saying that their support is bad? Besides the C Support, the rest of it is interesting and honestly really great imo.

Edited by TrueEm

Why do people keep saying that their support is bad? Besides the C Support, the rest of it is interesting and honestly really great imo.

I am talking about it as a whole.

It wasn't interesting and it was shoehorny too, It took me long enough to even understand what the fuck they were talking about, or why Beruka would want to dodge Saizo because he killed the one she was suppose to kill? What does it even matter to her. Her goal in life was plain and simple, survive, not something about ending war or some shit, she couldn't care less about it.

Edited by RoyLKing

Oh my... I shipped Beruka X Saizou but this is really freaky seeing the discourse.

It makes me not want to pair the rest of the HoshidoXNohr pairings in Revelations.

Ship who you want. It's a game, and some of the convos are quite amusing.