Worst GBA FE Chapter

To say it becomes "way more tolerable" because of that exploit is a stretch, because it doesn't absolve it of being a fog of war chapter in a desert, to say nothing of all the other BS.

I dunno, like that you only need one thief for vision and even that isn't really obligatory if you know where the wyverns start. But Astore has decent combat at that point anyway and you don't have to ferry him in every four corners of the map to find the treasures. Forced deployment for Sophia and Cecilia is annoying, but I would field Sophia anyway for the Guiding Ring. You also have three flyers to help you move your non-magic units (and Cecilia) at a somewhat reasonable pace.

I'm not saying that it's the best map in the game - it is still pretty frustrating, especially because the wyvern lords can still easily ruin your day - but it offers a challenge instead of being just tedious (like the FE8 desert map which I definitely like less than this one).

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see that when (1) Nino's not in any real danger of dying to the monk that attacks her, and (2) the Fighters Jaffar runs into tend to have Swordreavers and Swordslayers.

In Hector mode, Nino is dangerously close to Ursula, and if the monk gets a lucky crit, even with Swordreavers the enemies only have about a 50 hit chance on Jaffar, and Jaffar will attack on his turn, Nino will not

FE6: The Hero of the West and Arcadia

FE7: Genesis/Living Legend and Night of Farewells

FE8:Victims of War and maaaaaaybe Phantom Ship (FE8 had some really good chapters)

FE6: Arcadia and The Bishop's Teachings

FE7: (Not Counting the Prologue) Pale Flower of Darkness and The Distant Plains

FE8: Phantom Ship and Victims of War

I agree that FE8 at least didn't have a lot of bad chapters

Chapter 14 of FE6. Desert, FoW, and Sophia that literally needs babying. It would still be bearable, though, if Roy could just tell that bloody bitch of Cecilia to get a fucking brain and stay behind!!! She was the closest to make me say "See ya later, stupid bitch. Go and die in the desert if you really want to." Because Cecilia doesn't even have a in-story justification for the forced deployment unlike Sophia!!!

I agree, at least Cecilia is somewhat useful as a spare healer (especially with me not bringing Clarine)

Arcadia becomes way more bearable when you learn about the reset trick to find the items with non-thief units. I actually don't mind Cecilia's forced deployment too much either since she at least has staff utility and Aircalibur if a wyvern comes near. Having to keep Sophia alive is fucking annoying, though.

I still like Arcadia more than most of the gaiden chapters (mostly because their gimmicks usually are irrelevant or just irritating) of FE6. Jahn's chapter is pretty disappointing too - their vulnerability to the legendary weapons, their lack of 1-2 range and their low movement make Manakete rather lousy opponents. Storywise, Jahn's exposition bomb is definitely interesting, but it's just too much text at once. FE6 really has some pacing issues.

For me, the worst GBA-Chapter is Saleh's joining chapter in Eirika's route, though. It's not hard at all, but moving through the mountain path is just so tedious and there is pretty much nothing special about the map that makes up for that. I also dislike Queen of the White Dunes - mostly because most of the treasure chests require you to go in a completely different direction than the route to the throne.

Village of Silence is the one you mentioned at the end, what reset trick are you talking about for Arcadia? I like the Gaiden Chapters for whatever reason

Hm... I haven't played FE7's HHM yet, so...

Screw chapter 19 (Battle in Bulgar) from the Sacae route in FE6's HM. Until you get to Bulgar, you have a group or two of nomads and wyvern riders to take out, followed by a huge plain of NOTHING. The enemies in the city won't budge, save for the Sage with the Silence staff if you're mages are in his staff range.

In order to get inside, you need to destroy the outer walls, or open the door in the centre. By opening the door, it allows the enemy to hit you with most of their troops, and HM doesn't know the meaning of 'mercy'. The Nomad Troopers are the most dangerous of the bunch, and they're plain annoying. If you destroy one of the outer walls, then most enemies will charge you. While getting rid of them in this way is more manageable than facing them head on, it's also a lot more tedious.

Reinforcements will start showing up at the bottom of the map. Even though they're mounted, they'll still take around 3-4 turns to catch up, depending on whether you went left, right or in the middle. If you stole Narcian's Delphi Shield and gave it to (for example) a trained Miledy, she will make an excellent distraction for them. Thing is, most reinforcements don't have such an easy solutions, but when you get over them, it feels weirdly rewarding (for me, at least). But having an easy response like this takes away the satisfaction. It's a small thing, but it really lets me down. Well, at least the myrmidons hiding in the houses were a fair obstacle. There are so many houses, you don't know where exactly they spawn from.

Kel, the boss, is the icing on the cake. Looking at his HM stats, he would be utterly terrifying...if it weren't for the fact that he only had a Light Brand. Again, this aspect is subjective, and it may be a huge relief, but I got mad at that as well. On one hand, the Light Brand makes him so easy to deal with at range, it makes me feel like the game is keeping me away from a challenge, but on the other, his stats, especially his evasion, were nuts; if he had a sword other than a Light Brand, then he would be too much to take on. It's not the difficulty of the chapter that makes me hate it; but rather, the fact that all these things could've been executed in a better way. Plus, it wasn't fun.

But the hiding myrmidons? Genius.

Good explanation! But you can completely avoid it by using Tate instead of Sue or Shin (Be honest, who uses Thany/Shanna?)

Arcadia, without a shadow of a fucking doubt. It is THE reason why I have NEVER finished FE6.

Really? I honestly really enjoyed The Hero of the West.

Really? You haven't been able to beat FE6 because of Arcadia? Have you beat FE5 before? Because FE5 is harder than FE6 from what I know

I actually found it to be the most stressful chapter in FE6, mostly because I must have all the optional treasure. Many fights in FE6 have a difficult start but then get relatively easy when you have cleared out the first wave of enemies (at least if you know where the reinforcements will show up...). In Hero of the West OTOH I felt like I had to rush most of the time - to clear a path for Klains Archers, to make sure Tate's pegasi don't get caught by the reinforcement cavs, to recruit Echidna ASAP but without putting Lalum in peril...

I have a problem with Hero of the Western Isles because whenever I seize it freezes my game, I dunno what's up with that, but ya (Still better than a lot of other chapters *Cough* any fog chapter *cough*

To say it becomes "way more tolerable" because of that exploit is a stretch, because it doesn't absolve it of being a fog of war chapter in a desert, to say nothing of all the other BS.

I agree

Guys, guys, guys... and gals. Battle Before Dawn, Cog of destiny, (I hate night of farewells with a passion) Arcadia (I like Arcadia despite the restarts), The random tent gag chapter (20X Sacae), Battle in bulgar, and Even the phantom ship are all Great choices for the worst of the worst.

But I CANNOT STAND FOR THE LIFE OF ME Chapter 18, from Sacred Stones. The one with the stone bastards, and eggs. I tried soloing that map with seth. Can't do it on hard mode. Not Just Seth Solo's. EVERY SINGLE TIME I go into that chapter, even with multiple physics and restore staves, someone gets RNG screwed and Stoned, then dies to the ultimate bullshit.

The only way to clear that map without someone dying is to deploy every mounted unit you have, and give them good weapons, and rush. I HATE that map.

As long as you move fast and don't let too many of the eggs hatch, it isn't a big deal

I dunno, like that you only need one thief for vision and even that isn't really obligatory if you know where the wyverns start. But Astore has decent combat at that point anyway and you don't have to ferry him in every four corners of the map to find the treasures. Forced deployment for Sophia and Cecilia is annoying, but I would field Sophia anyway for the Guiding Ring. You also have three flyers to help you move your non-magic units (and Cecilia) at a somewhat reasonable pace.

I'm not saying that it's the best map in the game - it is still pretty frustrating, especially because the wyvern lords can still easily ruin your day - but it offers a challenge instead of being just tedious (like the FE8 desert map which I definitely like less than this one).

I like Scorched Sand, Arcadia with it's desert, fog and turn limit makes me want to play somewhat slow (Desert and Fog) but I need to rush to get Forblaze

Village of Silence is the one you mentioned at the end, what reset trick are you talking about for Arcadia? I like the Gaiden Chapters for whatever reason

If you reset the game, continue the chapter and open one character portrait (with R) before moving into a treasure zone, every character (not only thieves) are guaranteed to find the treasure. Pretty handy!

I like Scorched Sand, Arcadia with it's desert, fog and turn limit makes me want to play somewhat slow (Desert and Fog) but I need to rush to get Forblaze

True, but the time limits in FE6 are usually quite doable even without pro LTC strats. ;) What I dislike about Scorched Sand are mostly the two bosses in opposing corners of the map. I tend to not split up my forces and my first move in Scorched Sand is always to reunite the to groups, but like that I have a lot of walking through the sand without that much fighting going on.

But well, that's kinda true for every desert map in the series, so I guess it's more the decreased movement that I dislike.

The issue is, the game encourages you to play slowly and carefully, but at the same time, it forces you to rush if you don't want to miss out on the gaiden. This isn't helped by the game giving me two deadweight units. And just like in Battle Before Dawn, it's impossible to discern where the dangerous enemies are unless you're employing a guide. And the "challenge" that Arcadia poses is the kind that leans more toward frustration than legitimate challenge.

In Hector mode, Nino is dangerously close to Ursula, and if the monk gets a lucky crit, even with Swordreavers the enemies only have about a 50 hit chance on Jaffar, and Jaffar will attack on his turn, Nino will not

Those odds aren't exactly reassuring. As for Nino, since I've got to split up and send one of the lords down that way to recruit her, there's a good chance that I'd have someone in that group that can drain Ursula's Bolting and/or kill her. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Chapter 7 + 8 in FE6 are my least favorites.

Chapter 7 because of the huge number of enemies with 1-2 weapons which will automatically move towards you. It's actually impossible to talk to Zealot in time to recruit Treck (never could get him in HM)

Chapter 8 because it's a long and straightforward indoor map. No sidepaths and the chests are in an pointless are tbh. (chests behind the area of the boss)

In FE7 I hate the chapter you've to let Jaffar alive for the already stated reasons.

In FE8 I really dislike chapter 17 because the enemies are on the wrong spots. You don't have to care about the area in the west (except for the dracoshield of the berserker). You just have to rush to the area where Syrene and the NPCs are. With warp and dancing it's easily possible to beat Lyon in two turns before the enemy sages / druids can reach the NPCs.

If you reset the game, continue the chapter and open one character portrait (with R) before moving into a treasure zone, every character (not only thieves) are guaranteed to find the treasure. Pretty handy!

True, but the time limits in FE6 are usually quite doable even without pro LTC strats. ;) What I dislike about Scorched Sand are mostly the two bosses in opposing corners of the map. I tend to not split up my forces and my first move in Scorched Sand is always to reunite the to groups, but like that I have a lot of walking through the sand without that much fighting going on.

But well, that's kinda true for every desert map in the series, so I guess it's more the decreased movement that I dislike.

I don't mind desert because you can use flyers and mages (I love mages) to get around the decreased movement unlike Rain and Snow in FE7 (I HATE rain and snow in FE7), but typically I like desert maps, I like Living Legend, I like Scorched Sand and I like the 2 desert maps in Awakening (The Grimleal and Emmeryn) but every general opinion has it's exceptions: for my rule that desert maps are fun, the exception is Arcadia, Fog, Ambush Spawns, FE6's RNG, Desert and a Turn Limit do not mix well at all, I don't really care that the turn limit is really lenient with all the other crap I have to deal with

The issue is, the game encourages you to play slowly and carefully, but at the same time, it forces you to rush if you don't want to miss out on the gaiden. This isn't helped by the game giving me two deadweight units. And just like in Battle Before Dawn, it's impossible to discern where the dangerous enemies are unless you're employing a guide. And the "challenge" that Arcadia poses is the kind that leans more toward frustration than legitimate challenge.

Those odds aren't exactly reassuring. As for Nino, since I've got to split up and send one of the lords down that way to recruit her, there's a good chance that I'd have someone in that group that can drain Ursula's Bolting and/or kill her.

I agree on Arcadia, the decreased movement on top of fog on top of a turn limit, on top of FE6's RNG screwing me out of one of my units making me restart the flipping chapter (at least the music is good, but I can say that about every chapter in FE6 so that really isn't much of a positive) and of course Maggie and Rose with their ambush spawns (although Rutger should easily be able to handle them, especially with his B support with Dieck [and an A support with Clarine, if I fielded Clarine in this chapter]) just makes me hate Arcadia so dang much

But you can completely avoid it by using Tate instead of Sue or Shin (Be honest, who uses Thany/Shanna?)

I used Thany early-game until I realised how RNG screwed she was getting. I was tempted to train Tate, but Miledy (and Zeiss) flies circles around her, especially given her HM bonuses.

And I would've went to Ilia, were it not for Zealot suiciding himself into enemy troops in chapter 7.

At least beating chapter 7 felt enormously rewarding, despite its panic-inducing everything.

Good explanation! But you can completely avoid it by using Tate instead of Sue or Shin (Be honest, who uses Thany/Shanna?)

I use Shanna every run, I love Pegasus Knights and Shanna is cute and I enjoy pairing her with Roy.

I actually use Shanna more than Tate.

Long story short Shanna is one of my favorite girls in the series.

I used Thany early-game until I realised how RNG screwed she was getting. I was tempted to train Tate, but Miledy (and Zeiss) flies circles around her, especially given her HM bonuses.

And I would've went to Ilia, were it not for Zealot suiciding himself into enemy troops in chapter 7.

At least beating chapter 7 felt enormously rewarding, despite its panic-inducing everything.

I use Shanna every run, I love Pegasus Knights and Shanna is cute and I enjoy pairing her with Roy.

I actually use Shanna more than Tate.

Long story short Shanna is one of my favorite girls in the series.

Tate has better growth rates, as a character I'm not gonna judge Thany, but as a unit I would say Thany kinda sucks (same with Yuno)

Tate has better growth rates, as a character I'm not gonna judge Thany, but as a unit I would say Thany kinda sucks (same with Yuno)

So? I use who I like.

This is coming from someone who makes a point of using Wolt every playthrough.

So? I use who I like.

This is coming from someone who makes a point of using Wolt every playthrough.

It's the same reason I use characters like Beruka and Fiora. Sure, they're worse units than their counterparts, but damnit, I like them, so I'm going to use them.

I'm trying out Thany and Wolt and my current HM run... and I regret it.

Tate is like 5 levels lower than Thany and has same or better stats aside of speed.

Wolt is my absolute worst unit of my team. Even mages can double him with the brave bow equipped. His strength and speed are really bad. His only purpose is his support with Roy. However I'm considering to change my plans.

FE6 especially on hard mode isn't a good game to go for favorism since the enemies are pretty tough. When someone has two bad levels up in the beginning, bench! Also I try to use everyone who has hard mode boosts. And Tate has them unlike Thany which I can see very well now.

I'd also say that FE6 is the worst game for the pegasus knight class of all parts. Shitty con, awful base strength and the accuracy problem of lances in this game. Either Thany won't do any damage with her slim lance after a few chapters, or her accuracy is awful with heavier lances.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

I'm trying out Thany and Wolt and my current HM run... and I regret it.

Tate is like 5 levels lower than Thany and has same or better stats aside of speed.

Wolt is my absolute worst unit of my team. Even mages can double him with the brave bow equipped. His strength and speed are really bad. His only purpose is his support with Roy. However I'm considering to change my plans.

FE6 especially on hard mode isn't a good game to go for favorism since the enemies are pretty tough. When someone has two bad levels up in the beginning, bench! Also I try to use everyone who has hard mode boosts. And Tate has them unlike Thany which I can see very well now.

I'd also say that FE6 is the worst game for the pegasus knight class of all parts. Shitty con, awful base strength and the accuracy problem of lances in this game. Either Thany won't do any damage with her slim lance after a few chapters, or her accuracy is awful with heavier lances.

Eh, Shanna and Wolt are not the problem I'm having in Chapter 15 Hard... I favoritism'd them without a problem, the real problem is Roy keeps dying because he's Roy.

Though I will say that my Shanna is absurdly Str blessed.

EWl2Tqa.png

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Eh, Shanna and Wolt are not the problem I'm having in Chapter 15 Hard... I favoritism'd them without a problem, the real problem is Roy keeps dying because he's Roy.

Though I will say that my Shanna is absurdly Str blessed.

EWl2Tqa.png

Wow, Level 8 Falcon Knight Thany with almost capped Strength, what is this magic (Probably Lilina)?

It's my own luck stat kicking in :P

Glaceon Mage, what is your Luck growth?

My falcon knight Shanna was oneshotted by one of the wyvern lords with the silver lance in chapter 21.

I just was unlucky with her.

Therefore Tate was amazing. Maxed strength at level 10.

Good luck and bad luck are close together.

Tate>Thany any day of da week!

I agree on Arcadia, the decreased movement on top of fog on top of a turn limit, on top of FE6's RNG screwing me out of one of my units making me restart the flipping chapter (at least the music is good, but I can say that about every chapter in FE6 so that really isn't much of a positive) and of course Maggie and Rose with their ambush spawns (although Rutger should easily be able to handle them, especially with his B support with Dieck [and an A support with Clarine, if I fielded Clarine in this chapter]) just makes me hate Arcadia so dang much

@Bolded: How slow are you playing that chapter? Outside of, like, the first time I played the chapter when I didn't know they were coming, I've always been well out of the way of where Maggie and Rose spawn. I usually end up having to wait several turns after I kill the boss for them to catch up.

Unbroken Heart is, in my opinion, far worse than Arcadia, Battle Before Dawn and Cog of Destiny could ever hope to be, those chapters, while flawed, still possess some interesting and exciting parts when you play them. Unbroken Heart in comparison by just so goddamn boring and tedious, there's nothing to enjoy in it, nothing about it is redeemable in my eyes, The Reunion at least did the whole raid chapter inside a giant castle a little better by giving you some side-objectives and having enemies that actually pose a threat.

Seriously, i hate Unbroken Heart, every time i try to replay FE8 (One of my favorites i the franchise), i think "I wonder why i don't do this more often" and then i reach this chapter.

@Bolded: How slow are you playing that chapter? Outside of, like, the first time I played the chapter when I didn't know they were coming, I've always been well out of the way of where Maggie and Rose spawn. I usually end up having to wait several turns after I kill the boss for them to catch up.

Ah, the problem is since there are limited Guiding Rings in FE6 I can't just have an army of Mages like I normally do in FE, plus the fog, plus having to worry if FE6 is going to decide to be FE6, that's why I leave Rutger and maybe Dieck (if I'm using him) behind to deal with Maggie and Rose

Unbroken Heart is, in my opinion, far worse than Arcadia, Battle Before Dawn and Cog of Destiny could ever hope to be, those chapters, while flawed, still possess some interesting and exciting parts when you play them. Unbroken Heart in comparison by just so goddamn boring and tedious, there's nothing to enjoy in it, nothing about it is redeemable in my eyes, The Reunion at least did the whole raid chapter inside a giant castle a little better by giving you some side-objectives and having enemies that actually pose a threat.

Seriously, i hate Unbroken Heart, every time i try to replay FE8 (One of my favorites i the franchise), i think "I wonder why i don't do this more often" and then i reach this chapter.

I like Unbroken Heart, meh whatever

Unbroken Heart sucks, it's way too long for a map with only four units (one of whom is a temp), and makes you deal with clunky inventory limits (if Eirika can magically be her own convoy, why can't Ephraim?). I also hate maps where part of the "challenge" is that your units suck at picking out useful weapons; Eph's group starts with way too much steel and not enough of the cheaper (and generally better given their Con stats) iron, which makes no sense.

The similarly-named Unfulfilled Heart of FE7 is also terrible, at least on some difficulty modes, because there are way too many turns where literally nothing happens.

FE6 has several annoying maps, I'm not sure which is my least favourite. I really like parts of The Reunion (some reasonably tough enemies and a good boss fight) even if the overall meandering design of the map is total garbage. The Sacae map with all the silly tents which can randomly end whenever you reach one (or continue with an ambush spawn!) is idiotic. Jahn's map is really dull and anti-climactic. The map where you recruit Echidna features Tate and Klein's groups moving in weird and unpredictable ways and it can sometimes be annoyingly and randomly difficult to deal with them. A few of the gaiden maps (arrows of light comes to mind) have annoyingly random gimmicks, as well.

Also, my take on the Tate/Shanna discussion: Shanna's clearly better on NM, Tate is probably better on HM though that's closer, and Miledy's better than both regardless. Agreed that FE6 is probably the worst game for pegasus knights in the series, at least the 21st-century games (I haven't played some of the older games extensively enough to judge if the pegasus knights end up worse in those). This doesn't say too much because pegasus knights are usually extremely good.

Unbroken Heart sucks, it's way too long for a map with only four units (one of whom is a temp), and makes you deal with clunky inventory limits (if Eirika can magically be her own convoy, why can't Ephraim?). I also hate maps where part of the "challenge" is that your units suck at picking out useful weapons; Eph's group starts with way too much steel and not enough of the cheaper (and generally better given their Con stats) iron, which makes no sense.

The similarly-named Unfulfilled Heart of FE7 is also terrible, at least on some difficulty modes, because there are way too many turns where literally nothing happens.

FE6 has several annoying maps, I'm not sure which is my least favourite. I really like parts of The Reunion (some reasonably tough enemies and a good boss fight) even if the overall meandering design of the map is total garbage. The Sacae map with all the silly tents which can randomly end whenever you reach one (or continue with an ambush spawn!) is idiotic. Jahn's map is really dull and anti-climactic. The map where you recruit Echidna features Tate and Klein's groups moving in weird and unpredictable ways and it can sometimes be annoyingly and randomly difficult to deal with them. A few of the gaiden maps (arrows of light comes to mind) have annoyingly random gimmicks, as well.

Also, my take on the Tate/Shanna discussion: Shanna's clearly better on NM, Tate is probably better on HM though that's closer, and Miledy's better than both regardless. Agreed that FE6 is probably the worst game for pegasus knights in the series, at least the 21st-century games (I haven't played some of the older games extensively enough to judge if the pegasus knights end up worse in those). This doesn't say too much because pegasus knights are usually extremely good.

I agree that Ephraim sucks at picking weapons, Reginleif is clearly the best weapon they have, but that only has 45 uses and unlike Eirika's Rapier it is impossible to get another Reginleif, Unfulfilled Heart is too easy unless you plan to challenge Vaida, but why would you challenge Vaida when you can recruit her 3 chapters later if she lives (and the fact that she wrecks all your units with that Spear she has)

I refuse to think of Leygance as a good boss when Dieck can wreck him with an Armorslayer, and if you broke the one you got in Chapter 2 now, Oujay brings another one. I don't get why people hate the FE6 Gaiden chapters so much, I like Infernal Element (Like Night of Farewells), Pinnacle of Light (Arrows), Spear of Ice (Walls) and Silencing Darkness (Traps), I haven't actually played The Bow of the Winds [The one you mentioned being idiotic] (Not to mention Battle in Bulgar and Silver Wolf, haven't played those either)

I actually enjoyed Truth of the Legend, not as much as Neverending Dream, but almost, IDK why, maybe I just like Endgame maps (The map where you fight Idoun doesn't count as a separate chapter than the one where you fight Yahn for me)

On the Thany/Shanna vs. Tate vs. Miledy discussion I would say Tate is in general better than Thany (Thany suffers a lot more from the Pegasus Knight Strength weakness than Tate does, Tate has overall better bases and better stats than Thany, the only things Thany have over Tate are more levels (by like 7 or something like that) and earlier join time) but if I had to pick one flyer, I'd wait until Chapter 13 for Miledy, every time (Sorry Yuno, sorry Zeiss, but Miledy 2 gud)