Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

First off, I would like to say that you did a great job in your voice work for Fates for both Kamui and Scarlet, both their voices fit the character really well!

My question: When voice acting, are you ever provided with a picture of the character you are acting for? If so, does it help you get into the role? If not, do you think having an image of the character would be helpful, or would it be a hindrance?

Thank you!

Depending on the game and how far into development they are we do see a picture. I remember for LOL they only had an idea of what they wanted but were looking for us ad the VA's to inspire them to create the image. After our First session, they drew up a couple (highly confidential) images that we could get an idea of. They were beautiful. I think I got tot see Scarlet and Corrin as they were characters that were already created.

It definitely helps! Getting that visual can really help you. It's the same for on camera acting as well. Sometimes once you're in hair and makeup and wardrobe, the character comes to you instantly.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do voice actors generally feel about voicing minor characters with very few lines (Example from your work: Sara from Halo: Reach)

I think on behalf of voice actors I can say that work is work si work is work. We are always so appreciative when we get work, that we are lucky enough to be getting work, for people to be hiring us. So no matter what the size of the role is we get to be involved, period.

And as my mother always told me "There are no small roles, only small actors".

Hello Ms.Marcella! I think its cool that you get to be a VA, really. Especially for video games, haha. I have a few questions:

1. Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you rarely ever get to meet other VAs, so there are few people to meet everyday, I'm guessing. Does it get exhausting to not socialize much, or is the workplace a lot more different than I'm assuming?

2. How often do you get to go backpacking, and where have you been to so far? What is the best part about backpacking?

I love my job! and it is great to socialize with other voice actors but we do get to socialize every once and awhile and auditions we see everyone. It doesn't bug me much.

I go on 1 big trip a year and then try to travel as often as I can in between. I backpacked through India for 2 1/2 months. Various trips to different parts of Europe, Israel, Nicaragua, UK... I'm hoping that I can start doing cons in different parts of the world to meet fans and talk with people about games. Which would be a great combination of my 2 loves. If you know of any cons that you'd like to see me at, let me know :)

Hello Ms. Marcella! It's an honor to have the opportunity for an AMA.

1. Do you have any future conventions that you would like to attend?

2. What do you feel was the biggest pay out (besides the cheque maybe) from being a part of this video game?

Well thank you very much for having me!!

There are a few different cons that my friends go to that I would love to be a part of ... But I can't remember the names!! Honestly, I'll go wherever anyone wants me! I love to travel and I love to talk about my work with others who have the same passion. I think it's great that we now have this chance to connect with our audience..

Getting the response from the fans and talking to all of you! I mean hearing how you brought someones favorite character to life or that they love to play the game as you because of the work you did... isn't being appreciated for what we do the best feeing ever? so thank you

Edited by TheRealMLP

Sorry I haven't poked my head in here earlier, but I've been somewhat swamped. I did my best to catch up on what's already been asked, but if I duplicate or ask anything you'd rather not answer, do feel free to just skip over the question(s).

I know you mentioned you had friends at Blizzard. Are these people involved in developing/coding the levels, writing the script, graphic artists, producing/marketing, QA? Do you as a voice actor interact with the other areas that go into making the final package, or once you've recorded your lines do you enjoy being free to leave the project behind until the copies hit the shelves and you read the reviews online? Do you ever see yourself wanting to try out other aspects than you already have?

I believe I read that you said you enjoyed voicing kids' roles. Does this include boys, or is it just girls? If you've ever voiced a boy, how difficult was it to get into character as a member of the opposite sex? If you've never voiced a boy, would that be something you'd be interested in trying out?

Do you speak any foreign languages? Would it be more exciting or scary to have to voice act lines not in your native tongue? If you really loved a character from an existing work that had foreign lines, would you try to learn how to pronounce them to audition for the role? (This includes made up fantasy languages, like elvish or the like.)

Would you turn down a role if the character supported or engaged in something you found morally repugnant (e.g. drugs, guns, abortion, animal abuse)? Or would you welcome that as a challenge to be conquered?

Do you prefer to voice heroes or villains?

Would you consider yourself more of a skeptic, or a person of faith? Was there anything that influenced you particularly strongly in that regard?

How do you relax after a particularly stressful day?

Describe your dream home?

Wow! Great questions! OK i'll try to answer them all.

-A few of them work in coding and developing, one friend is int he art department, another in language translation, and another in producing. I'm a performer, as much as I love and can appreciate other aspects, my passion and usefulness is in acting. Though I can definitely see myself directing, which I would love to do someday. And I think there needs to be more women directors to there.

-I have voiced boys before! I love it! When I was a kid in school I was always cast in the male roles and I really enjoyed it. When I was younger I was very much a tomboy so I guess the teachers saw me more as a boy lol. I love voicing kids, it can be a challenge sometimes and I love it when my job is not easy.

-I studied spanish for many years and speak it very well but don't consider myself fluent. I can speak some french and a little hebrew and I'm learning portuguese. I think one of my strengths with voice acting is accents and dialects, When i was a kid I would constantly be pretending I was from somewhere else. Actually... a random hobby/talent of mine is faking languages. This is where I have so much fun with what I do and where I entertain myself.

And I've voiced an entire game in another makeup language before! I voiced the female N'avi (spelling?) character in the Avatar video game which was a made up language. It wasn't easy but was a lot of fun. I LOVE language and would love the opportunity to voice a character in a different language or another fantasy language.

-Depending on what the issue is, project is, message they're promoting etc. I would turn it down. There are so many things in the world that offend and hurt people, I don't want to contribute to it.

-hard question. I love both. Villains are really fun though ;)

-I'm a very spiritual person but not religious

-Chocolate. Good movie. Nap.

-Depends on the location of the home. whether it's on the city or country. So depending... Porch with a swing, beautiful garden (maybe rooftop garden), hidden rooms, attic room, fireplace, balcony, large windows... The Dream

Hello :)

Since you seem to be taking an interest in Ace Attorney (which is fantastic), could I hear you yell "Objection!" please?

Hello!! Thank you for your time here!! Are voice actors in general paid well enough, or does it depend on the amount of roles you have or the role itself?

As Scarlet, I'd like to hear you say in a romantic way like with her confession to Corrin:

"Ryoma, you shock my heart as much as your sword. I would defend you from anyone that dares stand in your way. Please, never leave my side."

Hi! I don't really like discussing money as it is just a tricky and touchy subject :/ All I'll say is we don't get paid anything close to on camera work.

Hey there Marcella, thank you so much for this opportunity to learn more about you as a voice actor, and also some things about the world of voice acting.

Did you ever work directly with other voice actors in or outside of recording? I could imagine many of the cast coming out of recording and talking to eachother in character. And if you did happen to work with them directly, who did you most enjoy working with and why?

also I saw that you are taking requests for voice lines, I can't think of much things original to say, but I was wondering as Corrin if you could say to our group chat "Us Saltees must stick together, as together, nothing can stand in our way".

I know it a sort of selfish request but our group has been formed since the announcement of fire emblem fates, we were total strangers at first, but we've since become the best of friends over our love of this game.

And if you have time for a second one could you say in Scarlets voice "What's up you meme loving fricks?"

Thank you once again for your time, Marcella. And I speak from everyone that we hope to see you again, or "hear" from you again. (That was my attempt at a voice acting joke, I'm so sorry)

Once and awhile we get toward together but mostly we see each other at auditions or in between sessions. I did however get to work with Matt Mercer in the same booth for LOL. That was great.

I love puns! and cheesy jokes are the best... my jokes are terrible, but I laugh at myself all the time!

I've been reading through the thread here, and notice that you like some Harry Potter and LotR, and some Alice in Wonderland. Naturally, that would mean that J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Lewis Carroll would be among your favorite authors. But are there any others of note?

Didn't know about this thread until just now, and I don't exactly have many questions. This one, as a matter of fact, was a little more "on the spot" than usual for me.

I'm a big Anais Nin fan. Joan Didion, I like Dan Brown too. And not to give into the actor stereotype but... Shakespeare. The dude was a genius. I highly recommend reading and trying to figure out shakespeare. If you like word play and adventure and mystery and life, do it...

Greetings from Mexico, Marcella!!! This is an amazing experience to see you here and ask you a question!

So here are my questions:

I see that you voiced Kindred from League Of Legends, what was your first impression when they asked for you to voice Kindred?

What is your favourite video game overall and if you had created a game, of what would it be?

And voice request:

Can you say this in any voice you want:

"The unseen blade is the deadliest"

Thanks for everything and for answering my questions, I really love your voice acting!

I had no idea what LOL was before I voiced Kindred. Kindred was just being developed and they're were a lot of kinks they were still finding out about her/him so it was great to explore and create Kindred with them.

I don't have a favorite video game. But I would probably create a game in a medieval type fantasy world with witches and warlocks and fairies and mermaids, but hey would not be your typical fantasy creatures. Maybe it would be a very dark game. But the plot would be driven by mystery. I've always thought it would be a cool video game to redo the Grimm stories but super real and dark and for adults.

And thank you!!

I hope I'm not too late! I read most of this topic yesterday, but no unique questions came to mind.
It's awesome to see another great voice actress here on SF! I'm interested in voice acting myself, so it got me really excited. Both characters you voiced in Fates sound so great and it really fits their personality, especially Scarlet! I always love hearing her criticals! (Next time playing Birthright, I'll probably romance her, hehe.)

Voice request for Scarlet :
''The flower you gave me symbolized eternal affection. It made me so happy. And so, I was able to fight with even more strenght than usual.'' - from Scarlet and Ryoma's JP Scramble Conversation

And here's one from female Corrin and Scarlet's A support conversation (I shortened it) :
Scarlet : ''When I die, what color star do you think I'll be? Don't tell me you've never wondered what happens after you die.''
Corrin : ''D-Don't ask that. It's bad luck. But... the shiniest stone on your weapon is the one you would be.''

Edited by ositias

For my voice requests, how about doing Sully's (from Fire Emblem Awakening) critical quotes in Scarlet's voice? Both Scarlet and Sully sound similar:

-"I'll kill you twice!"

-"So long, chump!"

-"Where should I stab ya?!"

-"To hell with you!"

Also "Kept you waiting, huh?" (Solid Snake's catchphrase), "I challenge my fate!" (one of Lucina's critical quotes in Awakening) in female Corrin's voice.

And a few questions before this all ends:

-Since you're a big Harry Potter fan, have you heard of "Potter Puppet Pals?" (

is the most famous episode if you're interested in watching it)

-Hoshido or Nohr?

-Do you look at the glass half empty or half full?

ummm no, and this is so amazing! thank you for my new addiction.

Marcella, I really like Scarlet! Thank you for voicing her! Do you think she could sing? If so what song?

I thought she could sing Florence's verses in Chess: the Musical's I Know Him So Well and I don't know why. (Do you think she can too?)

I don't know that musical! And i love musicals so this is crazy. I do think Scarlet could sing. I imagine her as a lullaby singer for some reason lol

My only question is have you had the opportunity to connect with Ms. Rena Strober (Azura's voice actress from Fire Emblem Fates)? She is also a member of the forums and recorded herself singing the game's title song Lost in Thoughts All Alone for the Serenes Forest Community.

Here is the video of her singing:

...Indeed, and neither was SF ^_^

First Reina Strober and now MLP =O

I have not connected with her! She has a beautiful voice... they definitely did a good job in casting her! And indeed, I did not know what I was getting myself into ;P

Welcome to Serenes Forest, Marcella.

Questions:

What is your favorite vegetable?

If you were in Corrin's... feet, would you pick Hoshido, Nohr, or refuse to pick a side?

Do you know what flavor of tea Jin was drinking during her debut? Do you like drinking tea?

Did you ever improvise any of Lamb's lines? Was it fun working with someone else to provide the two voices of Kindred?

Voice line request:

Corrin: "Can't we all just get along?"

haha! well fav veg changes but right now - green beans

I don't pick sides ;)

I don't, but my guess is a jasmine green tea... And I'm drinking tea right now!

All of Lamb was written before hand but we collectively changed some words here and there if something didn't sound right. and it was a blast getting to work with Matt!

Questions:

1. Do you feel that Corrin (F) in Smash Bros. has a different tone than in Fates due to being in different atmosphere?

2. To what extent do you know about Fire Emblem? Are you a big fan, or was this particular game something you got in to?

3. Did any of the other voice actors in Fates catch your attention? Do you know any of them personally?

Edit: Voice Request (Corrin F)- I had more fun in Smash Bros than this fight.

1. I think she is the same but feels different because the tone and atmosphere is different. Hope that makes sense.

2. I didn't know anything about the game before I worked on it!

3. I know Cam Clarke and Matt Mercer but I'm not sure who else worked on it...

Greetings and welcome Marcella!

I hope your stay in this forest has been nice!

If I'm not too late to ask, I'll pose this question:

I know you haven't had the chance to play Fire Emblem Fates (yet), but I wanted to ask, if you would like to show us how you would customize your own Corrin using this tool?:

(Provided it's not too much trouble for you)

https://serenesforest.net/app/kamui/

As for voice requests...hm...I'll request either a critical quote that doesn't exist in Fire Emblem Fates (since it would be a spoiler technically):

"For Valla!"

Or for levity's sake:

"Who are you calling Nohrian Scum?"

In closing, I'd like to thank you for this AMA. It's been really fascinating to hear what goes on "behind the scenes" for VA work, and getting to know someone who works hard to bring these games to life through their voice. Again, thank you for sharing this with us, and thank you for emodying F!Corrin and Scarlet Fire Emblem Fates!

female build 2

faec 2

hair 12

hair color 2 (cuz i'm a redhead)

none

facial feature 9

expression:angry

blush off sweat off

;)

On behalf of Marcella,

Wow, I’m in complete awe and overwhelmed from all the requests. Thank you all for caring so much and for being so excited. I don’t want to disappoint you! And I’m so sorry I can’t do all of them

So I will choose a few different ones at random and will record in the next couple weeks and get it to the right people to post and share with you! I hope that’s ok! I wasn’t expecting so many great suggestions!

As far as re-using what I do for other projects - I don’t know how that works with licensing and I would not want you or I to get in trouble for using copy written words or a licensed character for another project :(

I don’t mind it being used in a tribute type situation to the game as long as I am credited as well as the game and Nintendo.

FYI, I’m always down to work with new artists and game creators on small projects. You have to start somewhere and I would love to be a part of someones stepping stone game. So if any of you would like to work
with me, feel free to contact me anytime!

You can contact me through my fan page on FB. I’d also appreciate the support if you can like and share my page :)

Thank you all for hosting me these past few days. I truly enjoyed myself. You’re all so welcoming and kind and I’m so glad I could do justice to your beloved characters.

Don’t be strangers!

xo Marcella

[br]

And with that, we'll consider this AMA event wrapped up. Thank you everyone for participating, and thank you again Marcella for spending some time in our little corner of the internet, sharing your thoughts and experiences with us and answering our assortment of questions!

Again, her facebook can be found here. If you're looking for a friend, want to track her work (remember, she has some surprises coming that we at SF might find worth paying attention to), or just want to show your support, hop on over and leave some positive words~!