Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

Hi.

I can't really think of any questions to ask (that haven't already been said), so instead I'll just say that I'm quite impressed with and fond of Ms. Marcella's performance. The "Mother's Death" cutscene in particular gives me chills whenever I watch it.

I hope that you'll be able to grace us with more of your work in the future!

Thank you so much!! You guys have really been super sweet to me and I'm glad I haven't let you down with voicing characters that are so close to your hearts. I hope I can keep it up and not disappoint!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Marcella. It has been awesome getting to know you and seeing the answers to some of the questions. I hope to see you in other great roles in the future, and hopefully we can see you here again soon :D

Other than Facebook, are there any other ways we can keep up with your work?

Well that makes 2 of us ;)

I'd love to come back whenever you'll have me!

I have my instagram account as well, but I I don't really post much of work, more just random life pics but feel free to follow me! @marcellamarceau

Another workflow question here. When recording for games/TV, do all the voice actors use the same studio or do you get contracted from a local recording studio and have your lines sent in?

I also work in TV so I'm curious about the scratch tracks and whatnot we receive but I'm not quite sure what to ask about them...

Thank you!!

I love girls who kick ass, whoa re ballsy, who are strong, who are vulnerable and real. And I think I'm lucky enough to get to voice characters that embody all of those :)

hmmm... "Sorry big brother but I've made my own choice" or something like that. I don't know why I like it... but theres some sass there.

I love that song!! thats is what you're referring to right?

Yes, that's what I was referring to with my last question.

Also, have you played Danganronpa? It's mostly plot-based like Ace Attorney. Since you're mostly interested in the plot when it comes to games, I feel like you might enjoy it.

I would prefer games for the plot as to game play. Thats's probably just the actor and movie geek in me. I'll add it to the list of games I need try!

The Ace Attorney games are interactive murder mystery novels where you play as a Defense Attorney that has to prove his client's innocence. It has point-and-click gameplay for investigation scenes and "Present the right piece of evidence at the right statement" when you're in the courtroom, but that's really as far as gameplay goes since the games are all about the stories and its (very charming) cast of characters.

If you ever decide to try them out, the best way to start is to download the original trilogy on the 3DS eShop, which is a compilation of the first three games.

I wouldn't worry about that one too much. Some people just can't accept any changes whatsoever when games get brought here from overseas, and get way too invested in putting everything about those games down.

Seconded.

In any event, they (the person asking about 'cut content') were referring to stuff like the thing I asked you about, when I noted some of the differences between the Japanese version and the localized version. Such as the "petting" minigame not being present in the localized version. There were also a few costumes in the accessory shop that didn't make it over. That's what the person who asked about "cut content" was asking you.

I haven't romanced Scarlet with my Avatar in the game, so I haven't experienced her romantic lines personally while playing the game, but I have heard some of her platonic friendship lines at the Private Quarters while building support ranks. I think you did her lines well.

I really can't think of anything to ask, and I'm not sure if these were previously asked:

-Have you played any of the Touhou games? If so, which ones have you played?

-Out of everyone you worked with for the voice acting for Fates, who was your favorite one?

-What's the furthest up north you've ever been?

If you could design a character for Fire Emblem by way of character principles that you'd love to voice in a final production, how would you design them? Just to clarify, I'm not asking for anything visual but more along the lines of: What kinds of morals would they have? What sorts of hobbies or interests would they have? etc.

Would you like to return to voicing for Fire Emblem in the next few entries?

Would you ever dress as a character you've voiced at a convention and go around in character answering with the character's voice and mannerisms just to mess with people?

Edited by Light Strategist

First off, I would like to say that you did a great job in your voice work for Fates for both Kamui and Scarlet, both their voices fit the character really well!

My question: When voice acting, are you ever provided with a picture of the character you are acting for? If so, does it help you get into the role? If not, do you think having an image of the character would be helpful, or would it be a hindrance?

Hello Ms.Marcella! I think its cool that you get to be a VA, really. Especially for video games, haha. I have a few questions:

1. Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you rarely ever get to meet other VAs, so there are few people to meet everyday, I'm guessing. Does it get exhausting to not socialize much, or is the workplace a lot more different than I'm assuming?

2. How often do you get to go backpacking, and where have you been to so far? What is the best part about backpacking?

Hello Ms. Marcella! It's an honor to have the opportunity for an AMA.

1. Do you have any future conventions that you would like to attend?

2. What do you feel was the biggest pay out (besides the cheque maybe) from being a part of this video game?

Hello Marcella, Thank you for answering our questions, my question is that which family would you fight for as Corrin, and how do you stay confident as a voice actress when voicing character. If you already answer these question then you don't need to answer it. Thank you in advance

I actually don't know what families there are in the game :(

Hmm, How do I stay confident... I guess hearing that the client likes what you're doing is great help. As long as I know I'm giving them what they want, then that makes me really happy. If I impress myself that's always a plus. I know that might sound weird. But you are your worst critic. So if I'm surprising myself with a How I read a certain line or the clarity of my voice etc, then if I'm not getting anything from the client, at least i'm impressing me.

I wouldn't worry about that one too much. Some people just can't accept any changes whatsoever when games get brought here from overseas, and get way too invested in putting everything about those games down.

Now, I know that you said you don't play a lot of games since it isn't your forte, but you enjoy watching friends play them and sharing in the experience. Did working on Fates make you interested in looking back and finding out more about the prior entries in the series?

Yes it did! Although i don't play games I do spend hours getting lost on the internet looking up different characters and voices and going down the wormhole lol. When I told my friends I was working on Fire Emblem they were very impressed and made me more interested in the project.

Another workflow question here. When recording for games/TV, do all the voice actors use the same studio or do you get contracted from a local recording studio and have your lines sent in?

I also work in TV so I'm curious about the scratch tracks and whatnot we receive but I'm not quite sure what to ask about them...

Nope it totally changes in the project. The client or company will book the recording studio and then the actors and director will go to where they book. You do end up working at a lot of the same studios over and over so you get familiar with the engineers and people who work at those studios. If an voice actor is out of town or unavailable for "local hire" the client will then book a studio for them wherever they are and they will do a phone patch for the session. Meaning the client and director will be somewhere else hearing the the actor and communicating through the speaker phone... That happens a lot as well if the say the client is out of town (which happens a lot). I've worked on games where the client is in Japan and they are patched through from Japan listening in on the session!

I haven't! I'm getting such great suggestions for games... that one is going on the list :)

Yes, that's what I was referring to with my last question.

Also, have you played Danganronpa? It's mostly plot-based like Ace Attorney. Since you're mostly interested in the plot when it comes to games, I feel like you might enjoy it.

Ok that sounds super great. I love mysteries too. I think it would be a good starting off point for me and games.

The Ace Attorney games are interactive murder mystery novels where you play as a Defense Attorney that has to prove his client's innocence. It has point-and-click gameplay for investigation scenes and "Present the right piece of evidence at the right statement" when you're in the courtroom, but that's really as far as gameplay goes since the games are all about the stories and its (very charming) cast of characters.

If you ever decide to try them out, the best way to start is to download the original trilogy on the 3DS eShop, which is a compilation of the first three games.

Seconded.

In any event, they (the person asking about 'cut content') were referring to stuff like the thing I asked you about, when I noted some of the differences between the Japanese version and the localized version. Such as the "petting" minigame not being present in the localized version. There were also a few costumes in the accessory shop that didn't make it over. That's what the person who asked about "cut content" was asking you.

I haven't romanced Scarlet with my Avatar in the game, so I haven't experienced her romantic lines personally while playing the game, but I have heard some of her platonic friendship lines at the Private Quarters while building support ranks. I think you did her lines well.

Ah gotcha. I wonder why they cut things for the same game. It doesn't seem like it's anything serious to cut either.

well thank you, I'm glad you approve ;)

I really can't think of anything to ask, and I'm not sure if these were previously asked:

-Have you played any of the Touhou games? If so, which ones have you played?

-Out of everyone you worked with for the voice acting for Fates, who was your favorite one?

-What's the furthest up north you've ever been?

-I have not played!

-I didn't get to directly work with anyone for Fates, as I was in the recording booth alone. Btu I've worked with Cam Clarke a lot (who has known and worked with my parents for decades lol) and Matt Mercer and I have worked on LOL together. Both those guys are stand up gentlemen and lovely to work with :)

-Hmmm... Canada, I guess, and Sweden. Is that what you were asking?

Sorry I haven't poked my head in here earlier, but I've been somewhat swamped. I did my best to catch up on what's already been asked, but if I duplicate or ask anything you'd rather not answer, do feel free to just skip over the question(s).

I know you mentioned you had friends at Blizzard. Are these people involved in developing/coding the levels, writing the script, graphic artists, producing/marketing, QA? Do you as a voice actor interact with the other areas that go into making the final package, or once you've recorded your lines do you enjoy being free to leave the project behind until the copies hit the shelves and you read the reviews online? Do you ever see yourself wanting to try out other aspects than you already have?

I believe I read that you said you enjoyed voicing kids' roles. Does this include boys, or is it just girls? If you've ever voiced a boy, how difficult was it to get into character as a member of the opposite sex? If you've never voiced a boy, would that be something you'd be interested in trying out?

Do you speak any foreign languages? Would it be more exciting or scary to have to voice act lines not in your native tongue? If you really loved a character from an existing work that had foreign lines, would you try to learn how to pronounce them to audition for the role? (This includes made up fantasy languages, like elvish or the like.)

Would you turn down a role if the character supported or engaged in something you found morally repugnant (e.g. drugs, guns, abortion, animal abuse)? Or would you welcome that as a challenge to be conquered?

Do you prefer to voice heroes or villains?

Would you consider yourself more of a skeptic, or a person of faith? Was there anything that influenced you particularly strongly in that regard?

How do you relax after a particularly stressful day?

Describe your dream home?

A slight change of plans.

Tomorrow will be the final day of the Marcella Lentz-Pope AMA Thread.

HOWEVER

Marcella has taken up the offer to do a Voice Clip request, and is ok taking requests on things for her to record and say, to post here for us. That being said, if you have a request for Marcella to speak & record, feel free to post it!

Marcella,

If you're taking voice requests, would you be interested in doing a few lines (I wouldn't ask for the whole thing, as that would be far too much to ask) that strike your fancy from one of these transcripts?

The first two are transcripts from the actual support conversations that Scarlet has with Corrin in the game. The first is Scarlet x Male Corrin, from C rank to S rank (marriage). You've already voiced her love confession from the end of the S rank support conversation, but perhaps you could add your voice as Scarlet to some of the other lines?

Or alternatively, the second one is Scarlet & Female Corrin. Another possibility. EDIT: [Actually, since you are the VA of both Scarlet AND Female Corrin, you could even do either of the characters here]

The third possibility isn't from the game itself, but is fan-made. Scarlet & Female Corrin cannot romance in Fates within the game mechanics… but a group of fans came up with a fan-made conversation for if they could. Perhaps some of the lines there might strike your fancy?

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fates_Supports/Avatar(M)_Scarlet

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fates_Supports/Avatar(F)_Scarlet

http://unassumingvenusaur.tumblr.com/post/143413976220/fcorrin-x-scarlet-s-support

Again, I wouldn't dare ask for all of them (that would be too much to ask), but perhaps you might like to do a few lines from one of them of your choice?

Edited by astrophys

Hello!! Thank you for your time here!! Are voice actors in general paid well enough, or does it depend on the amount of roles you have or the role itself?

As Scarlet, I'd like to hear you say in a romantic way like with her confession to Corrin:

"Ryoma, you shock my heart as much as your sword. I would defend you from anyone that dares stand in your way. Please, never leave my side."

Hello! I see you're taking voice request. Can you say this in Scarlet's voice?

"Am I glad he's frozen in there and we're out here and he's the sheriff and that we're frozen out here and we're in there and I just remembered, we're out here! What I want to know is where's the caveman?"

If you have time for a second one, can you say this in FemCorrin's voice?

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO THIS ISN'T HAPPENING! THERE'S NO REASON FOR ME TO GO ON! What...WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!?"

Edited by Ercdouken