The cringiest things from Fire Emblem

CatManThree

While we are one the topic of Fates, I would like to mention how annoying

the people are who treat it like it is the best game ever. Cause it really isn't.

To those people, it is. People are gonna have opinions and some of them are going to have their #1 best game be something you don't like much. Nobody should be required to have their favourite game come from some "acceptable" list of choices.

Personally I am rather puzzled that you would choose one of the DS FE games as your favourite, but you're entitled to your opinion and I don't consider you "annoying" for having it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the fans being rabid sometimes, why?

Because the support is basically "hey, we saw each other naked, let's get married!"? That's the most cringe-worthy and stupid way of trying to build up a romance that I've ever seen. The B and A supports are pretty amusing on their own (I even have the B happen in my headcanon for an amusing reaction from Frederick since I marry Robin to him), but as a way to make two people fall in love? Biggest wtf in FE ever.

To those people, it is. People are gonna have opinions and some of them are going to have their #1 best game be something you don't like much. Nobody should be required to have their favourite game come from some "acceptable" list of choices.

Personally I am rather puzzled that you would choose one of the DS FE games as your favourite, but you're entitled to your opinion and I don't consider you "annoying" for having it.

I personally like the DS games because believe it or not, I actually have so pretty found memories from

back when I was much younger relating to the game and the friend that suggested it to me. Cause of this

I just have a hard time hating on it.

What I was saying was that FE 11 was the first game I played and that I don't have a problem with people

who love the game partially because of the fact it was their first of the FE franchise that they played and

simply have a hard time hating it like I do with the FE 11.

I second the fan localization patch before Fates even came out. I understood where they were coming from, but I ultimately felt as if it were jumping to conclusions - and I cringe hard when people jump to conclusions. Like, damn, can you wait a minute and actually know the "damage" done to the game before starting to "fix" the localization? And, it turned out that the localization wasn't even that horrible - it even fixed some things questionable with the original. Go figure, right?

On a similar note, the reactions towards the skin ship in general. I understand the view that it doesn't fit the tone of a proper Fire Emblem game, and, to be honest, I can certainly agree and concede that as a point. But, when people begin to act complacent and decide to take it upon themselves to generalize and criticize the people who may have wanted it, I fucking cringe into oblivion. You know what? I wanted skin ship to be in the game. I wanted to rub Niles' face and hear Takehito Koyasu him whisper in my left ear. If that indicates just how terrible and perverted of a person I must be, then so fucking be it. /rant

Next would be Silas' supports with Elise. His support with Camilla wasn't so terrible, but his with Elise should not have existed. One more 'ding' for why the current support system is flawed to all hell.

Chrom x Sumia. This is more from the fault of presentation, though I will not lie and pretend I don't prefer Chrom x Robin. They give her an abnormal amount of screen time in comparison to the other Shepherds, then forget the girl even exists after you hitch Chrom off to whoever. Not only that, they gimp Sumia out of several support options. She really should have been able to support Stahl (which is what I am the most salty about, to be honest).

I tend to flinch more at the marriage dialogue, or rather, the S-supports as a whole. That is, unless I really like the couple. I also tend to flinch at them because they tend to marry more for "love." Why are there not more mandatory political marriages? Is everyone just free to marry for love in the Fire Emblem universe? I actually find this to be the most belief stretching, to be perfectly honest.

On a side note, I must be the only person not bothered by FE9/10 voice acting. I honestly didn't think it was bad for a first attempt. Of course, it could be because I grew up with games like Shenmue and FF10 where they were very dialogue heavy, so I must have a skewed perception of good and bad voice acting.

Edited by saisymbolic

I didn't find FE9 or 10's voice acting that bad either, but I was a Playstation baby, so I'm used to the likes of Castlevania SOTN and Mega Man 8. No FE game has held a candle to MGS1 in terms of VA so far imo, but eh... whatever

Edit: I found the Chrom x Robin support funny, and do ship it on my F!Robin runs, but if that support was the tale of people falling in love in a series actually good with plot, I'd be cringeing my ass off.

Edited by MCPugi

Because the support is basically "hey, we saw each other naked, let's get married!"? That's the most cringe-worthy and stupid way of trying to build up a romance that I've ever seen. The B and A supports are pretty amusing on their own (I even have the B happen in my headcanon for an amusing reaction from Frederick since I marry Robin to him), but as a way to make two people fall in love? Biggest wtf in FE ever.

In that case, it's the supports that are cringe, less so the pairing itself.

The supports are bad, yeah, but the in-game treatment of the pairing should it be the case seems fine imo.

Really should have just copy pasted the M!Robin supports tbh.

In that case, it's the supports that are cringe, less so the pairing itself.

The supports are bad, yeah, but the in-game treatment of the pairing should it be the case seems fine imo.

Really should have just copy pasted the M!Robin supports tbh.

Thing is, Chrom treats the male Robin exactly the same way as the female in the story, for neutrality so they can also just be friends. As such, I don't take the in-story interactions into account here. They also get across that neutrality pretty well anyway. Nothing too implicating for romance.

What I find more cringiest right now are the fans that insults everyone who likes the 3DS games. I have seen it mostly in spanish communities or Miiverse, but sometimes I find some of them in tumblr too. And in a more similar way, the Fates fans that insults someone who likes certain country, aka, the Hoshido fans that insults the Nohr fans and viceversa.

Edit: I found the Chrom x Robin support funny, and do ship it on my F!Robin runs, but if that support was the tale of people falling in love in a series actually good with plot, I'd be cringeing my ass off.

I think you should read the FE4 manga.

What I find more cringiest right now are the fans that insults everyone who likes the 3DS games. I have seen it mostly in spanish communities or Miiverse, but sometimes I find some of them in tumblr too. And in a more similar way, the Fates fans that insults someone who likes certain country, aka, the Hoshido fans that insults the Nohr fans and viceversa.

How 'bout "people who can't respect the fact that everyone is allowed to have a favorite game"? Because I see at least one of those in this thread.

How 'bout "people who can't respect the fact that everyone is allowed to have a favorite game"? Because I see at least one of those in this thread.

Yes that one too! Just anything related to treat others in a bad way, that's what I find the more cringiest in any fandom actually.

Most supports have poor build up for romance and on the topic of Chrom's marriage options, there is also Olivia who Chrom can get married to despite just meeting her. Considering all the time they spend together, I think Chrom x Robin is a more natural pairing than most others.

I'm legit scared too now considering my thoughts on the FE6 manga and this post in general

Don't knock it until you've tried it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Most supports have poor build up for romance and on the topic of Chrom's marriage options, there is also Olivia who Chrom can get married to despite just meeting her. Considering all the time they spend together, I think Chrom x Robin is a more natural pairing than most others.

Yeah, but I don't think any are as poor as that one. And believe me, Olivia's join time is a problem with her pairing with Chrom, but it's the only problem I have with it.

I'm legit scared too now considering my thoughts on the FE6 manga and this post in general

It's kinda melodramatic but the art is really nice. A nice change from FE4's in-game art. (EDIT: speaking of cringey things, let's add FE4's in-game art to the list)

I need to get back to reading it. When I read it the translation was only up to about the end of the Silesia arc, and that was before I even joined SF.

Edited by The Geek

Let's see...

...The ending of the Dark Dragon Manga. Yeah, the writer had family issues and had to rush it, but good grief was it rushed.

Marth VS Medeus is one page. One. Page. And he's in Castle Altea. Tiki straight up doesn't exist. Caeda was hit with the moe hammer and there's more Marth/Merric subtext than anything.

What makes it cringey is that the first half is so good. But then it breaks from canon (to everybody who has read it, Klaus. Just... Klaus.) and things just go off the rails, only to blow up and never get back on.

And everything involving skinship and the localization melodrama. Just... you saw it. I had my own unofficial verbal sparring buddy during that time on here. I've divorced myself from the fledgling Gunvolt fandom because of similar drama of localization (*gasp* it isn't a to the letter translation! Which means it's totally as bad as the rushed wreck that the first game's localization was). And now this behavior is popping up in the Monster Hunter community (heaven forbid a localized monster name be derived from Latin or Classical Greek! It's not like these names have to work in a bunch of different languages or anything).

The people who make blanket statements and treat differing opinions like shit, especially when it comes to the 3DS installments. I myself don't like Awakening and was fine with the Fates criticism to a certain extent, but the sheer dead horse beating that still goes on in certain places is ridiculous. Overall I enjoy Fates but am not blind to its faults, willing to defend certain things and rip into others.

One of the first posts in this thread listing "Fates in it's entirety".

The insistence of some that SD was what nearly sunk the series when in reality the Radiant Duelogy did that and SD was a lifevest.

And really, the extremes of both sides of the fandom. I'm glad SF mostly doesn't have to deal with that (though I've heard from a former user that a mod, during the Awakening release period, straight up said "Elitism is the natural evolution of a fandom" and handwaved a lot of shit).

And really, the extremes of both sides of the fandom. I'm glad SF mostly doesn't have to deal with that (though I've heard from a former user that a mod, during the Awakening release period, straight up said "Elitism is the natural evolution of a fandom" and handwaved a lot of shit).

I'm QUITE interested in this. Please PM me the details.

Let's see...

...The ending of the Dark Dragon Manga. Yeah, the writer had family issues and had to rush it, but good grief was it rushed.

Marth VS Medeus is one page. One. Page. And he's in Castle Altea. Tiki straight up doesn't exist. Caeda was hit with the moe hammer and there's more Marth/Merric subtext than anything.

What makes it cringey is that the first half is so good. But then it breaks from canon (to everybody who has read it, Klaus. Just... Klaus.) and things just go off the rails, only to blow up and never get back on.

The fight was Marth vs Moses/Morzas, if I'm not mistaken, though the point about it being a rushed fight (with an ass pull resolution at that) still stands. I agree with everything else you said about the manga, though, especially Klaus. That one grinds my gears, he does. I'm also not really a fan of Marth's characterization in the manga, but it's not as annoying to me as the other stuff.

FE6- When you "promote" Roy and all of his stats go down.

FE9/10- How the "support conversations" didn't go with each other at all, making for very weird and generic dialogue (except for Ilyana's, which was always about food, like her character. Still never made sense. Not generic, but also no context)

FE13- the timeline. If Lucina learned how to fight from Chrom, but he died when she was a small child? Sounds weird. Also didn't like how they hinted Sumia and Chrom were canon, in a game that emphasizes choice.

FE14- I felt like Korrin was a bit Mary Sue-ish at times.

Most things Sully says because I really dislike her "hey you think I'm [bad adjective] because I'm a woman?!?!?!?! grrrrlll" attitude, attributing sexism to people's words when they're not being explicitely sexist and acting as if she were prejudiced when she actually isn't. I don't remember her dialogue exactly to quote though.

I quite like Sully, but I'm a little biased. I think she's made better just because Kjelle is infinitely worse in that regard. At least Sully has other character traits besides "good at fightan" and "is sensitive to sexism". I can't stand Kjelle. I honestly think she might be a robot inside all that armor.

The lack of the name of the continent in Fates. Soleil supports, seriously what the fuck? Corrin being the leader in Fates when you have the Prince of Norh or Prince of Hoshido on your side. Oh well, least Conquest was fun gameplay wise.

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, December 13, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, December 13, 2016 - No reason given

The lack of the name of the continent in Fates. Soleil supports, seriously what the fuck? Corrin being the leader in Fates when you have the Prince of Norh or Prince of Hoshido on your side. Oh well, least Conquest was fun gameplay wise.