The cringiest things from Fire Emblem

CatManThree

...not really?

I mean sure after seeing for years that you hate that pairing... not even the most adamant ship haters in here aren't invested enough in FE7's personalities to warrant that anywhere near cringe inducing.

It's not likeable to some people, but not cringe inducing to the normal player. There are much worse personality screwups. Like Cynthia in her chapter as Chrom's daughter you mentioned.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I interpreted this thread as being "What's subjectively the most cringeworthy to you personally?"/"What makes you cringe?" rather than what's the most cringeworthy in general, to everyone.

I know that romhacks are kinda disqualified... but they still belong to FE somewhat.

[spoiler=Gheb FE]

RfYuxLa.png

The fact that GhebFE exists.

Edited by Topaz Light

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The existence of an unofficial English patch for Fates, even after the game's official localised release.

Edited by disjunct.ion

The existence of an unofficial English patch for Fates, even after the game's official localised release.

To be fair, that was released before the game came out in English.

Edited by Ebony

Roger's recruitment in FE11

I mean, yeah, people do crazy things when they're in love, but damn....

Marth's [lack of] response to his reasoning were my thoughts exactly.

The fanbase's love of Soren. I just don't see it, the dude's an unlikable asshole, yet plenty seem to love the guy and seeing him get praised makes me cringe

Idk about you, but from what amount I got to play of PoR, his little spheal on Daein has me sold as the realest dude, ever

Ignorance is a form of bliss, is it not? These people don't know what it's like to lose a war. They don't want to know. Crimea as a nation has always been blessed by peace. Perhaps this is due to the temperament of its rulers, but the country hasn't seen serious warfare for centuries. While minor skirmishes with the kingdom of Daein have been legion, only the eastern borderlands have taken damage.

Humans are shameless creatures that carelessly ignore any misfortune which does not befall them directly. They can--and often do--turn a blind eye to all manner of wickedness so long as it does not touch them or their kin. They will bow their heads, condemning those victims for bringing calamity upon themselves, and then they will cast their eyes toward heaven in thanks while their neighbors lay dying around them.
When the Daein army darkens their doorsteps, perhaps they will understand. When the peace they take for granted is shattered, and their sons and daughters slaughtered in the streets...Perhaps then will they comprehend the misfortunes they so long pretended not to see. I have no sympathy for them.

He may be an ass about it, but is he wrong?

The fact that GhebFE exists.

I don't want to go any further about the story and plot... because there's nothing really to say... since they simply don't exist.

Gameplaywise it could be decent hack, if some things were designed more carefully. It had good ideas like stealing and adding some tougher bosses... but I've the impression that the creator just wanted to finish this hack somehow at cost of good gameplay.

PS: I like Gheb-FE more than FE13, just because this hack has at least a few decent game mechanics. Stealing is really fun and reminds me on capturing from FE5. Gameplaywise this hack wasn't a disaster for me unlike the "story".

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

What amuses me the most about this is, that for all the shit Fates took during pre-release with people demanding content to be cut out, such a patch even exists.

PS: I like Gheb-FE more than FE13, just because this hack has at least a few decent game mechanics. Stealing is actually really fun and reminds me on capturing from FE5. Gameplaywise this hack wasn't a disaster for me unlike the "story".

I thought I was the only one who had this opinion...

Most things that Nyx says, but "another day, another sin" takes the cake.

Most things Sully says because I really dislike her "hey you think I'm [bad adjective] because I'm a woman?!?!?!?! grrrrlll" attitude, attributing sexism to people's words when they're not being explicitely sexist and acting as if she were prejudiced when she actually isn't. I don't remember her dialogue exactly to quote though.

Mariabel telling Lon'qu that she could take him to a brothel to quell his repulse of women.

Micaiah's "father of Sothe's children" quote.

Ike's generic shounen anime protagonist ending at FE10, which by itself wouldn't be bad if it didn't contradict with his established motives. Yes, he'll fight for his friends and maintain his father's legacy on his name... by leaving everything behind to fight stronger opponents and become stronger. Screw the character development he got on FE9 (and continued on FE10), he'll abandon everything that suddenly because he got a sudden Goku complex.

The plot obligatory character deaths of Birthright. The first one makes no sense because they could've been saved by Hinoka's pegasus easily. The second feels very forced by the plot because Kamui is clearly suffering from cutscene incompetence by staring at Hans and taking hits without even defending themselves. The third is completely unnecessary plot-wise, I can't think of another motive for including that except gratuitous drama.

Me, after typing all of those things. I didn't even think I'd write a post of that length, lol.

Edited by Rapier

Not to sound arrogant, but I actually cannot say there has ever been anything in the series that has ever made me cringe (as an aside, I am not too fond of the term cringe as it is just another Internet buzzword). There have been plenty of things that have made me groan or roll my eyes (like many of the character gimmicks and the explanation of the language of Tellius), but nothing that has caused me to have a strong sense of revulsion that most would describe as cringe.

To be fair, that was released before the game came out in English.

Yeah but we knew the game was going to be localised anyway, just wait a few months if that's all that matters

Not to sound arrogant, but I actually cannot say there has ever been anything in the series that has ever made me cringe (as an aside, I am not too fond of the term cringe as it is just another Internet buzzword). There have been plenty of things that have made me groan or roll my eyes (like many of the character gimmicks and the explanation of the language of Tellius), but nothing that has caused me to have a strong sense of revulsion that most would describe as cringe.

I agree with this wholeheartedly

as an aside, I am not too fond of the term cringe as it is just another Internet buzzword

I totally agree with you on that. I wasn't really sure what other word I could use though.

What amuses me the most about this is, that for all the shit Fates took during pre-release with people demanding content to be cut out, such a patch even exists.

Most likely why the patch is used is because of writing changes. You know, like how Percy's dragon having it's name changed

and what-not.

There are also those creeps out there who trashed the localization for cutting out that ridiculous petting thing for some reason...

Most likely why the patch is used is because of writing changes. You know, like how Percy's dragon having it's name changed

and what-not.

There are also those creeps out there who trashed the localization for cutting out that ridiculous petting thing for some reason...

But you don't need a patch for that. Just translation notes.

I'm also one of those who thought the skinshipping thing was not a huge deal.

But you don't need a patch for that. Just translation notes.

I like having personal patches for everything. Including one that changes Club to "Kanabo" and all the weeaboo crap I do.

Distribution of said patches aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Club to "Kanabo"

I would've liked if at least one club was called this in the localization, even though the only reason I know about them at all is because of Deadliest Warrior (I can't believe I actually used to watch that show unironically).

I would've liked if at least one club was called this in the localization, even though the only reason I know about them at all is because of Deadliest Warrior (I can't believe I actually used to watch that show unironically).

While I think 'club' is a fair description of the item, they are distinct enough (in the same way that most people will identify something as a katana rather than just 'sword') from their western counterpart that they ought to be called by their Japanese name. "Club" is the only physical Hoshidan weapon that isn't called by its Japanese name.

While we are one the topic of Fates, I would like to mention how annoying

the people are who treat it like it is the best game ever. Cause it really isn't.

Some of these people (Even if they have played other installments) who

praise the game are people who were introduced to the Fire Emblem franchise

through that game. They don't really bother me since I myself was introduced

to the games via FE 11 and, spite its flaws, I actually still adore the game to

this day.

There are some people on the other hand who praise the game like it is some

kind of god! Okay, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but still!

These are the people like the game so much it is annoying. I have come across people like

this before a few time and it pains me to know they exist. They will go on to defend the game

so much against any accusation thrown at it even if the accusation is definitely true, like the

issues with the Fate's writing, and Revelation in its entirety for example.

Also, one thing I began a while back to notice about these people is that many

of these individuals are the same creeps who protested against the removal to the petting feature.

the people are who treat it like it is the best game ever. Cause it really isn't.

Some of these people (Even if they have played other installments) who

praise the game are people who were introduced to the Fire Emblem franchise

through that game. They don't really bother me since I myself was introduced

to the games via FE 11 and, spite its flaws, I actually still adore the game to

this day.

There are some people on the other hand who praise the game like it is some

kind of god! Okay, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but still!

These are the people like the game so much it is annoying. I have come across people like

this before a few time and it pains me to know they exist. They will go on to defend the game

so much against any accusation thrown at it even if the accusation is definitely true, like the

issues with the Fate's writing, and Revelation in its entirety for example.

Also, one thing I began a while back to notice about these people is that many

of these individuals are the same creeps who protested against the removal to the petting feature.

For what's it worth, I consider Fates Conquest in my ever interchanging 3 fav FEs. I'd like to think I acknowledge it's flaws, but sometimes I am clearly blind to them, such as my common defenses of Corrin despite him really being a gary stu, I just like the character enough to not care and defend him anyway. I don't think I lack bias towards Fates, because everyone has their biases, but I hope I don't come across as one of these people.

I don't think I've ever encountered those people. And I'm one of the bigger FE YouTubers.

I don't think I've ever encountered those people. And I'm one of the bigger FE YouTubers.

And even if someone claimed Fates is the best game ever, what would the big deal be? There's nothing written in personal taste.

Hm, a few things for me.

- Camila. Just Camilla.

- Many of Awakening's and Fates's armor and clothes in general, particularly on some of the females.

- RD only having a small handful of pairings when there are several more that could've easily been done and still make sense in the story. Huge missed opportunities here.

- Ike's ending. Just what. The. Hell.

- Also Ike not having anymore development in RD. That was disappointing.

- Micaiah's joke about Sothe being "the father of Ike's children." I found it really stupid and not funny at all.

- Chrom x Female Robin as a couple. Just...NO.

- Corrin being able to marry Azura or the Nohr and Hoshido royals and the justification for the latter. Just...another what the hell.

- Fates' inclusion of children units.

- The fact that you can have children get pregnant and have kids in Fates (Hayato, Sakura, and Elise are clearly not older than 15). That's just wrong. And here I thought they couldn't get any worse than guys like Gregor and Frederick being able to get with Lissa and Maribelle...

Edited by Anacybele