Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

When I read those posts I tend to assume that's about the American situation. Europe's seems to have that situations a bit less. I recall walking into a store with lots of Marth and other rare amibo's right in the middle of that infamous drought.

There's no way I could've known that you're European when you don't list your location or anything on your profile... And you still asked about how others would get a Switch on launch and I answered.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There's no way I could've known that you're European when you don't list your location or anything on your profile... And you still asked about how others would get a Switch on launch and I answered.

mmm...you sound a bit offended. I thought my posts was formed rather neutrally. 

I don't think me being European is that relevant to my question or response. I'm Dutch but I could just as easily be an American asking the question to Americans, Europans and the Japanese. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

mmm...you sound a bit offended. I thought my posts was formed rather neutrally. 

I don't think me being European is that relevant to my question or response. I'm Dutch but I could just as easily be an American asking the question to Americans, Europans and the Japanese. 

Strange, I'm not offended and didn't find what you said offensive at all.

And I know, but I couldn't have known any of those things is all I'm saying.

Gaming sites and channels seem to really enjoy themselves so far. While they can't spoil anything, some even go so far as to say that this game will be talked about for decades to come and that its impact might be able to rival Ocarina of Time. Though I won't buy into senseless hype, it's comforting to hear that it's working well and that it it seems to be universally liked.

As for getting a Switch, I'd love to buy one but I think I'll wait for a little bit. I'm surprised to hear it's all sold out; one would think Nintendo would've learned how to properly meet the demand by now. Oh well, if nothing else it shows people actually know what the Switch is as opposed to the Wii U, though I wonder just how badly a short supply of consoles will hurt the sales in the long run.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

As for getting a Switch, I'd love to buy one but I think I'll wait for a little bit. I'm surprised to hear it's all sold out; one would think Nintendo would've learned how to properly meet the demand by now. Oh well, if nothing else it shows people actually know what the Switch is as opposed to the Wii U, though I wonder just how badly a short supply of consoles will hurt the sales in the long run.

Wasn't a limited supply a business strategy during the Wii era as well? I don't know much about economics, but i remember a teacher saying that it was a business strategy to keep people interested in the console for longer. Of course, they weren't an econ teacher either so idk.

8 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Wasn't a limited supply a business strategy during the Wii era as well? I don't know much about economics, but i remember a teacher saying that it was a business strategy to keep people interested in the console for longer. Of course, they weren't an econ teacher either so idk.

Yeah, but Nintendo limits their stock so much that practically all the preorders get taken by eBay scalpers who try to resell them for much higher prices. This actually could hurt Nintendo sales-wise, because few people will actually pay those ridiculous prices. I know I'm not paying $1000 for the BotW Master Edition. And it likely won't be available in-store at launch either, because I see "sold out" on Best Buy's site for it, whereas the normal special edition says "coming soon." Neither are available on GameStop. And no other retailer has it as far as I've seen.

It looks like I might be able to get this on launch day after all on the switch. I'm putting so much extra time in the work that I'm about to have a lot of overtime and it'll pay off this weekend when I get paid.

I don't really get it when people are upset about things that are meant to have limited stock. I know back when I was complaining that I couldn't get my hands on the Fates SE, in reality I shouldn't have been complaining because when things are limited, it's first come first serve, regardless of the circumstances. I hate scalpers as much as the next person and I think it's super inconvenient that they're taking away people's chances of getting their hands on something that they genuinely want. But at the same time, that's both their fault and their choice. I can't explain it, but it just feels weird if Nintendo were to add more stocks for the Master Editions because scalpers keep taking them like "We know that they're are assholes who are going to hog the Master Editions so we'll throw in some more for the rest of you!!!" 

But, that still doesn't rule out the fact that scalpers can STILL buy more Master Editions if they did restock. Would more people be able to get the Masters Edition? Most likely. But scalpers are also in that boat too. Either way, it wouldn't completely stop scalpers from trying to make their own buck. 

It's true that many people might not have been in the right place at the right time as to where they could have rushed in and gotten something that was limited and it could feel so unfair but the world doesn't wait for you.

Edited by carefreejules

32 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

I don't really get it when people are upset about things that are meant to have limited stock. I know back when I was complaining that I couldn't get my hands on the Fates SE, in reality I shouldn't have been complaining because when things are limited, it's first come first serve, regardless of the circumstances. I hate scalpers as much as the next person and I think it's super inconvenient that they're taking away people's chances of getting their hands on something that they genuinely want. But at the same time, that's both their fault and their choice. I can't explain it, but it just feels weird if Nintendo were to add more stocks for the Master Editions because scalpers keep taking them like "We know that they're are assholes who are going to hog the Master Editions so we'll throw in some more for the rest of you!!!" 

But, that still doesn't rule out the fact that scalpers can STILL buy more Master Editions if they did restock. Would more people be able to get the Masters Edition? Most likely. But scalpers are also in that boat too. Either way, it wouldn't completely stop scalpers from trying to make their own buck. 

It's true that many people might not have been in the right place at the right time as to where they could have rushed in and gotten something that was limited and it could feel so unfair but the world doesn't wait for you.

Yeah, I know the Master Edition is limited stock, but it's still pretty unfair for people like me who were in the middle of moving or working a lot or something like that.

Also, there's absolutely NO reason why the Switch should be limited. It's a fucking new console with a ton of new games.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Also, there's absolutely NO reason why the Switch should be limited. It's a fucking new console with a ton of new games.

Oh yeah, that I agree with as well. But luckily for the Switch, since IT IS a new home console, even if they run out of units on launch, you can rest easy knowing that they're always going to manufacture more units. Even if there is some waiting involved, there's some solace in knowing that. 

2 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

Oh yeah, that I agree with as well. But luckily for the Switch, since IT IS a new home console, even if they run out of units on launch, you can rest easy knowing that they're always going to manufacture more units. Even if there is some waiting involved, there's some solace in knowing that. 

Yeah, but I was really looking forward to getting it and Zelda at launch and the longer I have to wait, the harder it will be to avoid spoilers.

Also, it's a hybrid, not a true home console.

Edited by Anacybele

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but I was really looking forward to getting it and Zelda at launch and the longer I have to wait, the harder it will be to avoid spoilers.

Also, it's a hybrid, not a true home console.

Meant to just say console but added home due to force of habit hahaha!

For any Canadians out there, you should definitely follow or watch Best Buy's twitter for any potential restocks of the Special Editions for Botw. I'm following them because I'm part of their rewards zone program and my friend was able to snag a copy when I told him they were up the moment they tweeted out the notification.

Edited by carefreejules

I watched a Game Theory episode a while ago that explained the shortages. I, don't remember like any of it, but I think the point was that Nintendo was trying to find the perfect price to sell them for in America, by giving short supply to find the demand. As I'm am currently learning about economics, I don't know how that works (or if I remembered that correctly) but either way the shortages are giving them some free press.

Regardless, is anyone actually getting the game for the Wii U? I'm not even getting the Switch, cause I feel the Wii U is perfectly fine, thank-you-very-much. I just hope nothing is left out because the game is being released on two consoles (though they did do this before with Twilight Princess).

51 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Regardless, is anyone actually getting the game for the Wii U? I'm not even getting the Switch, cause I feel the Wii U is perfectly fine, thank-you-very-much. I just hope nothing is left out because the game is being released on two consoles (though they did do this before with Twilight Princess).

I am, since I'm not planning on buying a Switch any time soon (I need a job first before I even begin to think about buying one ;_;).

And as far as I know, you won't be missing out on anything by going with the Wii U version. Basically just slightly better lighting and ambiance sounds.

Sounds like the Wii U version has a lot of framedrops. As long as it isn't too frustrating (read: Shadow of the Colossus level drops or greater) I can't image it being an issue for most.

Famitsu just rated Breath of the Wild a 40/40. This is the 24th game that they've given a perfect score, though, it was quite likely, as many other Zelda games have also received perfect scores. Edge magazine has also given it a perfect 10/10, the 19th to receive the honor. Countless other reviewers are giving/have given it good reviews, so it looks like this game is gonna be great. Though, do take warning, as some games have received great reviews while the game wasn't very good (I'm looking at you, Fates).