Is Fire Emblem Fates Officially DEAD!?!

Royal Flame

11 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Could be a mistake.

Are you in North America?

Pretty sure those popularity contest themes were there since last year. I saw them on my European 3DS. Or am I getting mixed up with my Japanese 3DS? Hmm.

No, I live in Europe and have a European 3DS, too. Could be I just missed them last year. My bad.

4 hours ago, Res said:

I am super bummed. I've enjoyed Fates a lot (faults and all) and I was super excited for the last two DLC maps, as supports are my favourite part of the game.

Same here, I'm so disappointed :/ also because some of the DLC conversations were actually good ones (such as Azura/Camilla or Leo/Niles) if not better than many of the in-game support conversations themselves.

As others said, I believe they were originally planning at least another wave of DLC in Japan, but then cancelled it for reasons (be it negative feedback or simply they got busy working on the upcoming titles). It feels incomplete even for the Japanese version (5-star difficulty Xenologue where? Missing DLC skills?), but the fact that we're missing just two maps really bothers me.

Supposing they won't announce DLCs in the next few days, but I highly doubt that by now (and FE Direct was just the perfect occasion to do that).

I hope the same will not happen with Echoes DLC maps.

Edited by Pikappa93

Fire emblem fates is my first (and at this point my only) game in the fire emblem franchise. Personally, I love it. However, upon hearing other fire emblem games coming out, I really have mixed feelings.

First issue, I've read that many of the other fans really have not liked fates (for a wide variety of reasons, ranging from two much fan service to lackluster story), and that saddens me quite a bit because of the enjoyment I've spent in it and the massive time invested.

Secondly, I'm nowhere near finished with the game. I want to do more six more playthroughs: the three games on lunatic difficulty, first with casual and then with classic. I still have very many hours of gameplay left, and I very much desire to obtain more 'my castle' battle points. Despite the number of hours I've played, I only have 2000 bp.

With the new games coming in just a few months, I'll never be able to obtain the battle seal, unless I very arduously grind for the remaining points. I'm not willing to do that. I'm very excited for the upcoming enteries, but I wish they didn't come for at least another year. It looks like I'll have to set aside my dream of obtaining battle and visitation seals and hope that I can do better in the next game.

I was really disappointed in Fates DLC.  There weren't enough DLC maps that actually let you use your own units.  In Awakening, I put more time into DLC than the campaign itself.  In Fates I played each DLC map maybe once, apart from grinding.  We never got anything to match Apotheosis.  The only DLC map I really enjoyed was the Crimea Seige map, but that's hardly a satisfactory amount of DLC.

Im not gonna miss those last two maps tbh, but i am kinda sad others are gonna miss out cuz they wanted em loads. Fates' DLC wasnt that great as a whole, unfortunately. Maybe the DLC for the game(s) didnt sell as well as Awakening's? And thats why they didnt release the final batches? /shrugs

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I was really disappointed in Fates DLC.  There weren't enough DLC maps that actually let you use your own units.  In Awakening, I put more time into DLC than the campaign itself.  In Fates I played each DLC map maybe once, apart from grinding.  We never got anything to match Apotheosis.  The only DLC map I really enjoyed was the Crimea Seige map, but that's hardly a satisfactory amount of DLC.

This. In most of them you weren't allowed to bring your own units, so even grinding was pointless. Again, I believe an Apotheosis-like DLC was planned but then cancelled.

At this point yeah most (including myself) will be doing FE 15 Echoes so its just a matter of 3-4 months till many move over. Fates DLC was handled not as great as Awakening but poorly in some executions like EXP, Gold and Weapons and 2 missing content elsewhere at least others can view them on the internet.

Edited by OpheliaNohrPrincess

I'm also disappointed; I love the game (with all its flaws), and I was really looking forward to getting the last two DLCs, as well as hoping for an Apotheosis-like challenge (I spent countless hours grinding my units in case we would be getting it). 

I'm super excited for Echoes but it's not going to make me forget about Fates.

I do think it odd that they abandoned Fates so soon. Maybe it's just that they have so many projects on the horizon they want to focus on, but I think they could have made a lot more money off of Fates.

Just like Pokemon's generation spans are getting shorter, Fire Emblem has to keep the hype up. IS knows this, so that's why there are 4 new games being chugged out. They have to keep fans interested and invested into the series since they now have the sale numbers.

Edited by Tactician Robin
Didn't see the other page

Another big problem with Fates was the time it took for localization. It was released several months later in North America (February) compared to its original Japanese release, whereas Europe and Australia had to wait almost a year to get their hands on it. And for 2016 that was a ridiculous high amount of time. That's why for some of us it might seem it died very quickly, but it will actually be a 2-year-old game by the time Echoes is released in the west.

I'm so glad this won't be the case with Echoes (even if they are kind of forced to localize it quickly because of Switch, so there wasn't much of a choice here).

I wonder why Fates DLC had so many stupid decisions compared to awakening? One of the most stupid being the fact that you couldn't use your own units on almost any of DLC maps except the three grinding (gold/exp/weapons) ones. And a couple others. But more than half the DLC maps just forced you to use not-your-units, which made them rather dull and frustrating. The Awakening DLC was handled perfectly, we ultimately got everything, always used our own units, and the final DLC map was a great challenge to put everything you had done to the ultimate test. Fates DLC on the other hand was handled like sh*t. I guess they think FE is doing good enough now that they don't have to worry about the quality of their work anymore like they did with Awakening... Makes me wonder if we should hope FE goes back to struggling again... It probably will eventually if nobody making decisions understands the law of diminishing marginal utility. FE is suddenly considered a "major" IP and so now they're going to try to milk it as much as possible to the point of releasing a game every six months or less?

I guess in their rush to start milking the series as much as possible, they decided to just cancel whatever plans were left for Fates. That just makes some completionist people like me feel like we'll never be able to be done with that game and be hesitant to get any future games involving DLC out of fear of getting another incomplete game. I wonder how much work it takes to create a DLC map? You'd think it wouldn't be much at all since it's mostly working with existing things... Hell, it wouldn't take more than ten minutes for them to just whip up something like a little bonus called "a Final Gift from Anna" that only unlocks when you have bought all the DLC and then are given the last of the stuff (And make a bunch of people consider buying whatever maps they might have skipped). I guess it was meant to serve as an important life lesson: never buy a game with DLC until after the game and DLC are both completely out and finished and you know you won't be screwed out of anything.

Edited by Amanroth

Jeez, talk about spiteful and uninformed opinions.

11 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

I wonder why Fates DLC had so many stupid decisions compared to awakening? One of the most stupid being the fact that you couldn't use your own units on almost any of DLC maps except the three grinding (gold/exp/weapons) ones.

And the Vanguard map. And the Witch map. And the Shooter map. And the Anna map.

19 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

Fates DLC on the other hand was handled like sh*t. I guess they think FE is doing good enough now that they don't have to worry about the quality of their work anymore like they did with Awakening...

They gave you 3 free pieces of DLC with Anna's Gift, Another Gift from Anna and Before Awakening. That's pretty generous, but apparently we should hate them for not giving us Apotheosis.

25 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

I guess in their rush to start milking the series as much as possible, they decided to just cancel whatever plans were left for Fates.

This is merely speculation.

26 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

That just makes some completionist people like me feel like we'll never be able to be done with that game and be hesitant to get any future games involving DLC out of fear of getting another incomplete game. I wonder how much work it takes to create a DLC map? You'd think it wouldn't be much at all since it's mostly working with existing things... Hell, it wouldn't take more than ten minutes for them to just whip up something like a little bonus called "a Final Gift from Anna" that only unlocks when you have bought all the DLC and then are given the last of the stuff (And make a bunch of people consider buying whatever maps they might have skipped). I guess it was meant to serve as an important life lesson: never buy a game with DLC until after the game and DLC are both completely out and finished and you know you won't be screwed out of anything.

This is very entitled. The game isn't "incomplete" just because you wanted more DLC out of it. What exactly were you "screwed" out from? Did they promise you something that they didn't deliver on? Did you pay for something that you didn't get? Also, that would be a terrible business model to force people to buy ALL of your DLC just to get the last collection of maps.

Jeez, talk about spiteful and uninformed opinions.

More like expressing one's disappointment in the something, which is a good thing to do since the only way for it to be known that people were let down is if those people speak up about it.

This is merely speculation.

Hence the "I guess" at the start of the sentence. It is a very possible assumption based on things that happened.

What exactly were you "screwed" out from?

The festival maps. If you want them then you have no choice but to buy the Japanese version of the game.

Also, that would be a terrible business model to force people to buy ALL of your DLC just to get the last collection of maps.

Who said anything about a collection of maps? The gift from Anna events are nothing more than a single screen where you see Anna and she just goes, "Hey! Here's something for you! Bye!" Having a final one as a bonus for purchasing all the DLC doesn't seem like a terrible business model. A terrible business model would be leaving the world outside Japan with a gimped game because they were too lazy to localize the final two maps. (They didn't even have to localize them all, they could have either just cut the conversations out or just filled the text boxed with random arbitrary junk made up on the fly for all I care. I just wanted the content.)

Edited by Amanroth

2 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

The festival maps. If you want them then you have no choice but to buy the Japanese version of the game.

Who said anything about a collection of maps? The gift from Anna events are nothing more than a single screen where you see Anna and she just goes, "Hey! Here's something for you! Bye!" Having a final one as a bonus for purchasing all the DLC doesn't seem like a terrible business model. A terrible business model would be leaving the world outside Japan with a gimped game because they were too lazy to localize the final two maps. (They didn't even have to localize them all, they could have either just cut the conversations out or just filled the text boxed with random arbitrary junk made up on the fly for all I care. I just wanted the content.)

Would you not have bought Fates had they announced from the start there would be two fewer DLC maps? DLC is separate from the base game, regardless. You get less maps than the Japanese do but you also pay less (Japan's final map pack was worth about $20 and North America's was $8). Considering you don't need to buy the child DLC as a bundle in NA/Europe, they have a better DLC shop in a way. It would be nice if the other territories had access to the last two maps but you aren't entitled to them.

9 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Would you not have bought Fates had they announced from the start there would be two fewer DLC maps?

No, I would not have. I would have only considered getting the Japanese at any point if I did get it.

DLC is separate from the base game, regardless.

But still part of the experience, in this age often to the point where it is extremely difficult not to consider it a part of the game itself in the end.

You get less maps than the Japanese do but you also pay less

Which can detrimental to both the company and consumer when there are likely many willing to pay more for more. They could release those maps separately for a hundred dollars for all I care (Yes, I'd pay that much for them).

It would be nice if the other territories had access to the last two maps but you aren't entitled to them.

But I am entitled to the knowledge gained that if you don't have the Japanese version of the game, you may end up getting the short end of the stick. That knowledge makes me wary of getting another game involving DLC prior to it being completely finished so I can know I won't be missing out on anything.

22 minutes ago, Amanroth said:

No, I would not have. I would have only considered getting the Japanese at any point if I did get it.

But still part of the experience, in this age often to the point where it is extremely difficult not to consider it a part of the game itself in the end.

Which can detrimental to both the company and consumer when there are likely many willing to pay more for more. They could release those maps separately for a hundred dollars for all I care (Yes, I'd pay that much for them).

But I am entitled to the knowledge gained that if you don't have the Japanese version of the game, you may end up getting the short end of the stick. That knowledge makes me wary of getting another game involving DLC prior to it being completely finished so I can know I won't be missing out on anything.

I'm curious, do you know anyone else who shares your opinion on the game not being worth buying unless it has all the DLC of the original release?

I recommend you buy the Japanese version from now on, if it causes you so much anxiety to not get "the full package".

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I'm curious, do you know anyone else who shares your opinion on the game not being worth buying unless it has all the DLC of the original release?

Yes, quite a few.

I recommend you buy the Japanese version from now on, if it causes you so much anxiety to not get "the full package".

That's exactly what I am thinking of doing. Unfortunately, up to now, there has been an annoying thing called region locking that has made it so that getting the Japanese version of a game would be quite a hassle. It's a real pain to have to buy a completely separate system for a single game, and the fact that you'll never have that game on your "main" system. That problem will still be there for the Gaiden remake, which is why I won't be getting that one until after all is said and done if I do. It seems they finally removed region locking from the Switch however, so I guess I'll most likely to just get the Japanese version of that system's game from the get go.

20 hours ago, Pikappa93 said:

Another big problem with Fates was the time it took for localization. It was released several months later in North America (February) compared to its original Japanese release, whereas Europe and Australia had to wait almost a year to get their hands on it. And for 2016 that was a ridiculous high amount of time. That's why for some of us it might seem it died very quickly, but it will actually be a 2-year-old game by the time Echoes is released in the west.

I'm so glad this won't be the case with Echoes (even if they are kind of forced to localize it quickly because of Switch, so there wasn't much of a choice here).

What? It release a month after the Japanese version it release in Japan on April 20 and in the west on may 19 I think people going to be burnt out after the mobile and the remake.

2 hours ago, mikethepokemaster said:

What? It release a month after the Japanese version it release in Japan on April 20 and in the west on may 19 I think people going to be burnt out after the mobile and the remake.

I was talking about how long Fates localization took and how this won't be the case for Echoes :) I know it releases a month after Japan.