Skills Discussion (SoV)

Since we are running off 3DS FE stuff, I'm going to assume we have a wide variety of skills, and well in the original Gaiden, Falcon Knights had the slayer ability (that Bishops would later get in FE8). Where any of their attacks would be effective damage versus monsters. Do you think they will be keeping this skill or will they be re-worked? 

What do you think they'll do with skills? Will characters still have personal skills like in Fates do you think?

I feel like they might give each class or character 1 skill, and leave it at that, and, well, I can't blame them! Skills were a good thing until they started giving everyone 5, and then it kinda spiraled out of control. I like skills, but I feel that if they removed them it would be better for the series.

7 hours ago, Corrobin said:

B-b-but Vantage + Wrath equals awesome!!!

Seriously though, I think that it'll be personal skills only.

Personal Skills only hmm? I'm not sure they'll scale back that much yet.

I hope it's personal or class skills only, because the original Gaiden didn't have skills. I'm okay with adding some, but I'm also hoping that with the villager class thing that once you lock in, you lock in class. No willy nilly re-classing.

Think about how weird it would be to play SD or BS with skills. It might be awesome, but the entire game would need to be re-worked to make it work. There is speculation that bows are 1-5 again, and each attack can do at least 1 dmg no matter what defense is, so they may have kept more of the classic battle system then we know - nothing is guaranteed. The only maps revealed look pretty similar too. Maybe the "skills" will be them explaining a lot of what was already going on, like bow ranges/peg knights.

My real hope is that there are NO skills at all. No skills was a + in my book for a lot of the older games, as it kept things simple and refreshing.

I'm behind personal skills only too, though I wouldn't mind if skills didn't exist at all. Unless they completely re-balance both the skill and the reclass system, I don't think they'd work well with Gaiden's gameplay.

I'm hoping or lowering the amount of skills. Especially if there is online PvP. Fates was ruined on the online stuff due to the ton of skills and how they could be abused, lethality builds come to mind with Nohrian trust and high skills to proc lethality as often as possible, often with pavis/aegis included.

So no removal of skills, those have always been key to Fire Emblem imo, but I do want to see it lowered.

29 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I hope it's personal or class skills only, because the original Gaiden didn't have skills. I'm okay with adding some, but I'm also hoping that with the villager class thing that once you lock in, you lock in class. No willy nilly re-classing.

Think about how weird it would be to play SD or BS with skills. It might be awesome, but the entire game would need to be re-worked to make it work. There is speculation that bows are 1-5 again, and each attack can do at least 1 dmg no matter what defense is, so they may have kept more of the classic battle system then we know - nothing is guaranteed. The only maps revealed look pretty similar too. Maybe the "skills" will be them explaining a lot of what was already going on, like bow ranges/peg knights.

My real hope is that there are NO skills at all. No skills was a + in my book for a lot of the older games, as it kept things simple and refreshing.

I think it's hard or even impossible to have a main series FE game that doesn't have skills in some capacity. (Though with the main Gaiden example I can think of I don't think the lack of their "skill" would mess up the classes whole purpose, so a plus I guess) I can't think of one that does, skills cover a pretty darn wide range of things at this point even if there not called as such and they don't have an actual skill system. 

Maybe skills could be tied to various rings. Rings already had a variety of effects in the original (hopefully they will be nerfed, because things like the angel and speed ring are just ridiculous), so why not add some more that grant some of the series' classic skills like Sol or Canto. This could also nerf some of the stronger skills, because now you have to sacrifice one of your inventory slots to make use of them.