Map Objectives

For those that are unaware, pretty much all of the maps in Gaiden are Rout. What do we think about how likely it is for map objectives to be changed and given more variety? It's not like there aren't differing situations, quite a few of the maps could easily be changed to Seize, and there are certain maps that could be Defend chapters too, considering how in Gaiden enemies could form on the world map and attack you. Thoughts on map objective variety and how in the original Gaiden it is almost exclusively Rout as the objective?

9 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

For those that are unaware, pretty much all of the maps in Gaiden are Rout. What do we think about how likely it is for map objectives to be changed and given more variety? It's not like there aren't differing situations, quite a few of the maps could easily be changed to Seize, and there are certain maps that could be Defend chapters too, considering how in Gaiden enemies could form on the world map and attack you. Thoughts on map objective variety and how in the original Gaiden it is almost exclusively Rout as the objective?

They could also add new maps with such objectives like "Defend!" or whatever OR they could structure it so that, while the objectives may be to "Rout!" there could be optional chests that thieves could raid if you're not good enough at the game. That'd make things more interesting though I like the idea of the first one more.

Would "kill the boss" work as an objective?  Would "defend" be "keep enemies away from this spot for X turns" or "survive for X turns" or perhaps both?  What about "arrive"?  I can see overworld battles being pure rout, which is fine IMO.

I'm expecting at least a few objective changes, with Kill the Boss coming to mind for maps such as the final story map of Chapter 1, maybe the bit with the pirates in Chapter 3, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I think they're also less inclined to have a homogenized set of map objectives after the praise Conquest received for its gameplay, part of which came from a more diverse set of objectives. 

I agree with eclipse in that I wouldn't mind most optional encounters being Rout, though if they keep overworld enemies that can attack the player I think it would make sense to have two different deploy points for that map- one for Defend, if attacked, and one for Rout, if attacking. That said, I don't like Defend objectives that much, so if they kept it the same as in Gaiden- attacker gets first move- I'd be fine with that, too. 

I'm hoping they're adding more chapters, since the original had like 10 (5 each right?), so something tells me they've added some chapters to elaborate on the story and we can probably expect new objectives.

I love a good ol' Defend mission. I think the Tellius duo had some really fun Defend levels and I hope we can get something similar. 

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm hoping they're adding more chapters, since the original had like 10 (5 each right?), so something tells me they've added some chapters to elaborate on the story and we can probably expect new objectives.

I love a good ol' Defend mission. I think the Tellius duo had some really fun Defend levels and I hope we can get something similar. 

Nah, if you're going by "chapters", Gaiden only had five, total. But they aren't singular maps, they are more like "Acts" (I expect them to localised as such). Each "Chapter" had say 10-30 battles in them, I would say, which could consist of random skirmishes with monsters or battle maps that would likely be counted as a "chapter" in any other Fire Emblem.

But yeah, I could say a few Survival or Defend missions here and there, and a lot could be substituted with Kill the Boss or Seize like people said.

6 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Nah, if you're going by "chapters", Gaiden only had five, total. But they aren't singular maps, they are more like "Acts" (I expect them to localised as such). Each "Chapter" had say 10-30 battles in them, I would say, which could consist of random skirmishes with monsters or battle maps that would likely be counted as a "chapter" in any other Fire Emblem.

But yeah, I could say a few Survival or Defend missions here and there, and a lot could be substituted with Kill the Boss or Seize like people said.

Alright thanks for the info!

Considering that it's been confirmed that new characters are going to be in Shadows of Valentia, we can expect new missions (and thus potentially new objectives) to do in order to recruit them.

15 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Considering that it's been confirmed that new characters are going to be in Shadows of Valentia, we can expect new missions (and thus potentially new objectives) to do in order to recruit them.

I am pumped for that!

Even though I have a soft spot for Gaiden, the game suffers from repetitive gameplay. Yes, monsters and unique classes (i.e. Witches and Summoners) do make things interesting, but routing the enemy 500 times does get rather irritating. At least Fates: Conquest tried so hard to have unique map objectives per chapter, I'll give the game that much credit. I really hope that IS will make most of the maps have different victory conditions, let's say survive X amount of turns while holding off reinforcements, during Celica's naval battles.

When partaking in optional fights, such as dungeon monster encounters, then 'rout the enemy' would be the necessary victory condition.  

IS should really study Berwick Saga, because that game has a level of strategic depth that every "post-Kaga" Fire Emblem doesn't match. 

Edited by Leif