Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

It feels weird to see my final score in the 3,600's.

Hinoka with the arena bonus was fun to use, but otherwise things felt about the same.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't seem they changed something in matters of tier sizes . Still only top 30% stay in top 20, which won't happen with my score of 3,554. 

+10 Camus was pretty cool though.

So weird seeing my high score so low. XD But all of my matches were at 730 or higher, so I'll assume it's good enough. Those bonuses though!!!! It's really satisfying seeing my -SPD Shigure with 47 unbuffed SPD...which turned into 56 SPD after buffs. XD

Now let's see if I can get any defense wins...

3 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

So, these bonus unit stat boosts are cool. 49/65/33/24/39 Lilina is hilarious.

Screenshot_20180509-140440.png
Ain’t that bad either. Though I would actually have preferred those being actual, tangible, real merges. And buffs. And everything.

So I only managed a score of 3460 after a deathless run right now and I am almost in the "drop down to Tier 18" range already. Normally that takes a few days before it happens, which has me incredibly worried. I may go back to yoyoing between Tier 17 and 18 instead of 18 and 19 soon. Thanks IS, that's a real service you did me there... Fuck

I was fine with it taking multiple merged units to get into the very top tier. But extending this even lower? That's a shitty move. They better adjust the rewards or arena soon won't be worth anything (beyond the streak rewards) to anyone but the top players.

Edited by Nanima

Snookered myself by not levelling my newly merged Horse Ephraim during double XP/SP, he's still at level 1+1, ugh. I'll wait until the weekend to do my proper arena run then. My wind team is worthless for arena scoring as Gunnthra is only worth 684 so it has to be Fire if I want any chance of getting into T20.

Scoring-wise, Ephraim +1 is 696, Cecilia 4*+10 is 706, Horse Chrom is 704 so that's a solid base but I lack a bonus unit that fits properly:

a) Camus is only 690 without a blessing, and giving him a Fire blessing would be silly as Ephraim is required to activate it. He fits better in the Wind team where his blue competition is Reinhardt who he can comfortably run alongside.

b) 5-star Titania is too low at 692 even with a blessing, but if I merge her into my 4*+6 (which will go to 4*+7) then she's worth 698. Okay but not great. Wish I could get three more copies already.

c) Bow Hinoka has an Earth blessing and as such is only worth a measly 688 points. The same, incidentally, as unblessed Sharena, which is why I don't consider the Askr trio worth anything in an arena context.

d) Perhaps the best option then is my Lilina+2. 692 points is going to be too low so she'll need the blessing. That's unfortunate because I have no other non-cavalry Fire heroes currently, I guess it means I'll have to commit to building an infantry Fire team soon.

EDIT: Did a dry run without the merge and without the blessing on Lilina and got 3512 which is relatively good, just above 702 average. Might it be enough? Will wait until the last day or two of the season before committing to the score. Did splurge to finally give Lilina DB3 though, and she's fun to use even with no buffs (seeing as though the rest of the team is all horses).

Edited by Humanoid

I definately like that feathers is the first chain reward, even if I get bored with arena, I can still convince myself to play 1 match a week for 3,000 feathers

Meh. Shorter victory series to do is not bad, rewards for the chains are not bad too... but this bonus for the focus unit is really necessary ? Yeah, my Hinoka effectively kills more easily without being killed in return, and effectively OS a M!Grima, but... I don't know, I think that make all of that more easy, and I'm not convinced by that...

Yeah, that's great for beginners or people who have difficult with the Arena, but... I feel like something was removed...

To be honest, I was grinning from ear to ear at how easily Lilina was one-shotting things. I don't know if the novelty will fade away in time, but I'm totally fine with this state of affairs.

Then I stop and think - whales get this kind of performance from their units *all the time*. It's certainly persuading me to give her some more merges in future. Unfortunately it looks like going to +3 only increases Def and HP instead of Def and Atk so it's not worthwhile in the short term. (I was rather disappointed when in the process of replacing my Caeda's nature, only HP and Res went up, such are the concerns of the feather-poor)

Why didn't they reduce the needed wins for AA as well? Today I was so unlucky that I always lost on my last battle and it was almost always a match against Lilina. She's become so deadly... I couldn't stay over 5100 points unfortunately. I think I'll have to focus on a 4th +10 project now. Have to decide between Nino (+8), Lilina (+6) Caeda (+5), Est (+5) or Raven (+4). Hmm.

Did they change the matchups for normal Arena again too? It felt like I my score range was a bit lower than last week. I hope 3632 is still enough to sit comfortably in the middle of T20.

It feels weird that my score is 3,588 instead of the 5k+ I usually do but I'll get used to it. The new rewards are pretty nice and I love the orb, coins and stones. 

I also woke up and had 3 def wins so it seems that I got worried about the buffs for nothing, my team is still strong enough to kill at least 1 unit. Speaking about the bonus units buffs, I'm not really feeling them, like my Siegbert reaches 70 Atk on Player Phase and he can take a lot of hits now but I don't feel as accomplished like I did when Eirika got to +10 and Cordelia to +8.

Edited by Alexmender

The buffs might be making people cocky. You can do some really dumb stuff with units that you shouldn't be able to in Tempest Trials with units with the buff, so they might be learning that hard way that Arena units are way stronger and more optimized than even the Lunatic 7 enemies. I know I had a defense win before even going to bed last night.

Got a defense win too surprisingly, with last week's water team that I didn't bother changing out.

I wonder if there's an element of people being more likely to give out freebies with their 6th fight of the day, since you're highly incentivised by the new immediate rewards to just get your five wins as soon as the week begins. Previously the earliest anyone would have throwaway attempts would be on day 3.

Edited by Humanoid

Oh, nice. Not terribly interested in the Genealogy crew, so if I don't get one in the first session, I can use the M!Kana I promoted out of favouratism. Guess I'll need to get him a B that's not a second-rank skill, though. I also have a semi-built F!Robin, but she'd take significantly more effort to not be a huge point drop for me.

Not that bad of a rotation. If I don't get anyone from the banner then I'll go with Ike, I haven't used him in quite a while and a skillset revamp will do him good.

Might be the incentive needed for me to finally merge my Ikes. Got a +Atk/-Res, +Spd/-Atk and +Def/-HP and have been holding onto them for half a year in case I want to use them for SI, but increasingly it seems like that won't be the case. Does anyone even really want Heavy Blade as a skill (as opposed to the seal) these days?

I guess I can pick between M Kana, Shiro and Amelia. At least the good thing with the bonus unit buffs is my Shiro and Amelia being -atk won't matter as much.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

Might be the incentive needed for me to finally merge my Ikes. Got a +Atk/-Res, +Spd/-Atk and +Def/-HP and have been holding onto them for half a year in case I want to use them for SI, but increasingly it seems like that won't be the case. Does anyone even really want Heavy Blade as a skill (as opposed to the seal) these days?

I can only think of Elincia, Cordelia and Cherche for 1 turn Galeforce strats in GHB/BHB clears if you fancy that but outside of that, not really. Then again Ike has Aether and that is quite valuable in arena so you can fodder him for Aether because each Chrom costs 20k feathers.

5 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I can only think of Elincia, Cordelia and Cherche for 1 turn Galeforce strats in GHB/BHB clears if you fancy that but outside of that, not really. Then again Ike has Aether and that is quite valuable in arena so you can fodder him for Aether because each Chrom costs 20k feathers.

Think I will merge then, though hopefully I get promoted this week such that it won't be necessary next week. I have no ambitions of building a team that can stay in T20 and am more interested in actual utility rather than scoring.

Ike by himself is already worth an solid 696 points unmerged which is more than Amelia (of which I only have one spare). Merges will take him to 704 which would make him my equal most valuable arena unit, alongside 4*+10 Cherche. I could merge my three buff Ikes to beat that by 2 points, but I prefer to hold onto Warding Breath. Now to figure out a blessing for him.

16 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I also woke up and had 3 def wins so it seems that I got worried about the buffs for nothing, my team is still strong enough to kill at least 1 unit. Speaking about the bonus units buffs, I'm not really feeling them, like my Siegbert reaches 70 Atk on Player Phase and he can take a lot of hits now but I don't feel as accomplished like I did when Eirika got to +10 and Cordelia to +8.

11 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

The buffs might be making people cocky. You can do some really dumb stuff with units that you shouldn't be able to in Tempest Trials with units with the buff, so they might be learning that hard way that Arena units are way stronger and more optimized than even the Lunatic 7 enemies. I know I had a defense win before even going to bed last night.

The best way to get defense wins is to punish players for making mistakes, and there will always be players who makes mistakes. A lot of players just do not know any better or refuse to get better, so building a team that punishes players for bad play is much easier than creating a team that tries to counter good play. Throw in Vantage, Wings of Mercy, a Dancer/Singer or two, and your defense team is basically all set.

I got all of these units except Ishtar, but I think I will use my Ike again after ages. I remembered how desperately I tried to pull for him on this banner last year, even bought orbs and all I got was Lilina and Roy. Then some time later he was my first free 5* pull, so he deserves some time to shine again now. I didn't use Amelia for some time either, but I think Ike scores more.